September 2017 Moms
Options

Weekly Symptoms 8.14

Re: Weekly Symptoms 8.14

• Options
    Ahh so update on my itchiness... my doctor just called and said there was a big spike in my bile levels since the last test so he thinks I do have cholestasis :(  

He wants to see me weekly and do some extra tests to make sure baby is ok and possibly may need to induce early if levels continue to rise. Last week my bile was at 5.9 and this week it's at 19.1... upper limit of normal is 14.5.

He said typically in the US they do induce early for this but he is more inclined to follow a more hands off approach that they typically follow in Europe. We will wait and see for now but hopefully hold off induction and maybe I'll just go into labor a little early on my own. I'm 34+5 today by my OBs calculations and 35+5 by my personal calculation (based on date of conception).
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 I'm so sorry! I hope everything goes okay! I have some questions though, I called my doctor this morning about chronic bad itching, and unfortunately we played phone tag all day, I don't get reception in my classroom. Could you describe just how bad the itching is, is it mostly on your hands and feet, and how long has it lasted? Did you have to bring up choleostasis to your doctor, or did you just mention itching and they screened you for it? I plan on calling back in the morning and hoping that they contact me before my homeroom starts so we don't play phone tag again. My itching has been all over and won't go away though, I've tried lotion, and that seems to make me even itchier for some reason. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @heatherlynn321 My hands and feet were probably the least itchy parts of my body! My itch was all over as well... arms, legs, back, scalp, everywhere! Some women experience overall itch instead of palms/soles. I would say my itching was "bad" but it's not like I was scratching myself until I bled like I have read others reporting. The itching comes and goes although I do experience it mostly at night... I thought maybe I was just less busy at night so I noticed it more at night. Some days I wouldn't itch at all and I'd think it was over and no big deal then the next day it would kick back up again. I did not notice any correlation with what I was eating. Lotion didn't seem to help me at all either.

My doctor suggested the test when I mentioned the itching. I would definitely push for it if your doctor doesn't suggest the test... I think it's worth it to be sure if you are even slightly concerned. Also, my OB said he would continue to test even if values came back normal (which they did at first) because sometimes it takes a while for bile levels to rise so I would push for repeat testing too.

Hope this helps!!
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 This helps a lot! Thank you, it makes me feel more validated in pushing for a test if they don't bring it up, and I don't feel silly for mentioning it now. Again, I'm so sorry you're going through this, I hope everything goes good until you're able to deliver.
  • Options
    My nurse is a moron, who had never heard of choleostasis, and keeps saying the only thing in the 3rd trimester it could be is PUPPS, she kept saying just watch to see if a rash shows up and we'll bring you in to see if it's PUPPS. Choleostasis doesn't need a rash.
  • Options
    @heatherlynn321 ugh, that is terrible. I suggest printing out a few articles on the subject -- one quick brief and one research/medical journal article -- and suggest she read them or consult a physician about it. 

Here are some options:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cholestasis-of-pregnancy/basics/definition/con-20032985
    (Mayo website)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK200923/
    (Medical book chapter)
  • Options
    My nurse is a moron, who had never heard of choleostasis, and keeps saying the only thing in the 3rd trimester it could be is PUPPS, she kept saying just watch to see if a rash shows up and we'll bring you in to see if it's PUPPS. Choleostasis doesn't need a rash.
    Wow, that is so frustrating! You definitely don't need a rash. I think printing out an article is a good idea even though it's crazy that you have to do that! All she has to do is a quick google search for itching during pregnancy and a ton of articles would come up. Can you ask to speak with the doctor directly instead of the nurse? It's not that uncommon... My sister told me they routinely tested her for it even without itching (but she was having twins which increases risk). Don't be afraid to be pushy - it's you and your babies health!
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 I have a doctor's appointment on Monday, I'm wondering if it'd be okay to wait until then to talk to my doctor directly about it. I really don't want to deal with the nurse again.
  • Options
    My right hand(dominant) is swelling, causing carpal tunnel. I can't seem to sleep in any position that makes it better. So painful! 
  • Options
    @heatherlynn321 there's probably nothing they would be able to do for you immediately anyhow so waiting till Monday to test you is probably fine... my doctor recommended I follow a low fat diet and eat soy. If you wanted to try that in the meantime it probably wouldn't hurt.

Do you have any other symptoms of cholestasis (dark urine, pale BM or upper stomach pain)? I don't have any of these symptoms but if you do it might be another red flag and reason not to wait.

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @jenn622-2 I've been having kind of like a burning pain in my upper right abdomen on and off for a little. That's it though. That's good to hear about soy, I'm a vegetarian, so I eat lots of tofu. Thanks again!
  • Options
    I'm still so mad about my phone call this morning. She told me to just take zyrtec, and that she was pretty sure pregnant women don't get choleostasis. Like, how are you an OB nurse? I'm going to call back in the morning and hope I get a different nurse. I feel like I'm wearing a body suit made of itchy wool. I'm 36w3d, and it's freaking my PGAL brain out that this is a possibility, let alone the fact that I'm going to have to convince my nurse or doctor to test for it.
  • Options
    I would be mad too! I'd be shocked if your OB didn't agree to test... hopefully he won't need convincing and tests come back normal! Keep me posted!
  • Options
    @heatherlynn321 omg I'm so mad for you! That's insane! I hope you can find someone to listen to you!!!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @heatherlynn321 sorry you're dealing with an incompetent nurse!! I was having serious itching on my hands and feet and just mentioned it to my dr and she ran all the blood tests for me to rule out cholestasis, which can be a pretty big deal for baby! Hopefully you get someone to listen and get those blood tests done.
    DD 6/2007
    DS 4/2009
    m/c 11/12/2010 ~ 7 wks
    m/c 7/4/2012 ~ 6 wks
    DD 12/2013
    mmc Baby Girl 7/12/2015 ~ 14 weeks  <3
    Twin girls! 8/26/2017

• Options
    I called and left a message this morning. I feel like I'm probably not going to hear back today, and I'm just going to have to bring it up with my doctor on Monday. I hope I don't have it, but its like, can we at least rule it out to make sure? I'll be 37 weeks on Monday so I'm hoping if I do have it that nothing happens over the weekend. 
  • Options
    I'm freaking out again now too. Everything I've read suggests that women should be put on urso to reduce bile acid if they are over the limit of 14.5 (I've also read of some doctors prescribing for any levels over 10). My level was 19.5... doctor didn't mention anything about meds and my next appointment isn't until Wednesday which feels like an eternity when levels can fluctuate dramatically in 24 hours! Just called and left him a message. I'm surprisingly not that itchy any more but I'm not sure if that necessarily means I'm any "better."

I hate this roller coaster of emotion!! 
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 I've been reading about this all day, and just left another message for my doctor. From what I read, levels aren't dangerous to the baby until they reach 40. Typically levels won't start to dramatically elevate until 37 weeks, which is why most inductions happen around that time for ICP. It's terribly nervewracking though, especially going into the weekend when you can't call your doctor for a couple of days.

How far along are you again?
  • Options
    jenn622-2jenn622-2 member
    edited August 2017
    @heatherlynn321 I've been reading non-stop too... the concerning part is how quickly levels change. I went from around a 5 to 19.5 in less than 2 weeks so it scares me that the level could double or triple again!

Im about 35-36 weeks. There has been some back and forth on my due date... my first measurements indicate I'm at 36 weeks and then they updated it to 35 but I think 36 is more accurate.

I think it's especially scary because for the most part I feel good so I feel like I have no way of knowing if things take a turn for the worse. I felt no difference physically when my levels were 5 vs 19.5.

Thanks for all your support with this!!
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 I'll be 37 weeks on Monday, which is probably when I'll be tested at my appointment, because I don't think this nurse is going to call me back today. That fluctuation sounds scary though.
    This whole thing really sucks, I just want to go in to labor already so that I can see my baby is safe, instead of having to wait for it to kick to assume it's okay. My anxiety is terrible at this point, I keep having really bad panic attacks and had to take today off work.
    I hope when they're able to test me though, they're able to do some sort of rush order, because if it takes a week, and it turns out I do have it, I'll be 38 weeks by that point, and it's super dangerous at that point.
  • Options
    I just heard back from a different nurse, and I can come in now to get the blood work done. Thank goodness. 
    Yay! Good luck! Sending you positive vibes!!
  • Options
    I've been having contractions for about 24 hours now, some more painful than others. They are oddly spaced- some 3 min apart, others 30 min apart. I am not quite 37 weeks yet (3 days shy) and not dialated at all, so my doctor wants me to try and ride it out at home.

In so many ways, this reminds me of my labor with DD and I am just *not* ready to have a baby this weekend.
  • Options
    Wow @sarahufl that's exciting but scary! Keep us updated :)
    I am 36 weeks tomorrow and last night I had period pain and braxton hicks so I was unsure if something was happening or not but I have woken up and everything seems normal.
  • Options
    Minor complaint relative to what others are going through, but I'm starting to experience heartburn. Two nights in a row  :/ and until now it was just about the only symptom I didn't have!
  • Options
    Minor complaint relative to what others are going through, but I'm starting to experience heartburn. Two nights in a row  :/ and until now it was just about the only symptom I didn't have!
    Um my heartburn was the absolute worst part of pregnancy!!!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    Um my heartburn was the absolute worst part of pregnancy!!!
    Fair! It's just that it's unpleasant but not actually scary/dangerous like cholestasis and things like that. The worst part of pregnancy for me is GD, hands down. Idk how you and other people with type 1 diabetes manage every single day of your lives!
  • Options
    There have been nights where I was pretty sure my heartburn/ acid reflux were going to do me in! No joke! I've had a rather uneventful pregnancy this time. Thank goodness but seriously it's not fun to have to take Zyrtec twice a day plus have to take Tums randomly. 
  • Options
    39+2  So exhausted, uncomfortable, and worried something will go wrong. Disheartened that my Dr's appointment yesterday revealed I am not dilated or progressing in any way; today we schedule induction for 41w.  I don't know if I can take it.  Not normally into whining, but it seems like that is all I do anymore. Sad!   How is everyone else doing?  Anyone else in the same boat?  
  • Options
    37+4 today. I've had a cold the last two days and I can't stand having a sore throat. Nothing I do (gargling warm salt water, gargling apple cider vinegar) seems to be helping. Other than that, just standard symptoms - tired of being tired, I feel like a roach stuck on it's back when I'm in bed, waddling, my right side right under my rib is sore from the little man favoring that spot with his foot haha. Really, I'll take all the pregnancy symptoms at this point if this cold can go away!
  • Options
    38 weeks today!  I am having constant BH but my midwife will not check me and that is ok with me.  Baby needs to cook at least another week!  I am in no rush for this baby to come.  Other than that I have days that I feel good and sleep really well at night and other days I can not sleep at night and wake up stuffy nosed, tired and nauseated. Still no swelling or heartburn.  I am crazily trying to keep up with laundry and keeping the house clean.  I posted this before but has anyone else notice hair loss?  It is nothing crazy but I am definitely losing more than normal.
  • Options
    38 wk 5 days. I can't do anything physical without having contractions. Which makes me feel like I have to pee alllllthe time. Heartburn like no other. So hot all the time. Major hip and pelvis issues. I'm really just miserable. Also, I have never been this pregnant so I am being whiny. Apparently the third baby can be tricky... Hoping all goes well at my appointment tomorrow and baby girl will be here by Thursday!
  • Options
    36 wks 4 days
    So much pelvic pain when I walk. I was almost in tears at the store yesterday. They confirmed at my ultrasound last week that the babies head is right against my bladder. I have to pee all the time. This babe needs to make it until the 6th so I get my full maternity leave benefits. It is stressing me out. I will be spening my anniversary and weekend in bed hoping to keep this little one in as long as possible.
  • Options
    @heatherlynn321 did you get your lab results back yet?

I got my results back from Friday and levels nearly doubled again - 36.8

Doc still doesn't want to give me meds or schedule induction but said he would if that's what I want. Getting a second opinion. Totally freaking out... only good news is I was already 2cm dialated so possibly I'll go into labor on my own and avoid both meds and induction. 

Hope you have a better outcome than me! 
  • Options
    @heatherlynn321 and @jenn622-2 - thinking positive thoughts for you both. What a scary thing to deal with. Do keep us updated! 
  • Options
    They were hoping for results this afternoon, but I'm going to call tomorrow afternoon if I don't hear back that morning. 
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 maybe they don't want to do anything at this point because you are already so far along. I think the biggest concern would be growth restriction for baby. Did your doctor give you a specific reason of why they won't medicate or induce?
  • Options
    Everyday this week I've called for my results and I've been told they'll be back tomorrow because the lab is still processing them. I finally got a nurse today, 1 week after they drew my blood, to call the lab and check. Apparently the lab they sent them to doesn't do the cholestasis tests, so they sent them to California. I live on the east coast. I seriously hope I don't have cholestasis, because I won't find out till Wednesday, 1.5 weeks after the blood work, and I'll be 38.5 weeks at that point, which is definitely in the danger zone for cholestasis.