3rd Trimester

Toddler present during delivery? Home birth?

So my husband is working out of town and won't be present. And as we just moved here, I don't know anyone and neighbor not comfortable babysitting.

Was your under 2yr old present during your previous birth? Same room or in waiting room? How did he/she respond?

I'm now considering home birth as I don't think it is appropriate for him to be present and not up to midwives to babysit if he is a handful. And it's not like I can drive mysrlf to the hospital. At least at home I can be in the bedroom with the midwives while he watches tv and plays with his toys???

Thoughts???

Re: Toddler present during delivery? Home birth?

• Could you find a babysitter? I feel like asking your midwife to babysit while also being responsible for you and your baby's health is asking a lot. Also, if you had to be transferred to a hospital your midwife wouldn't stay and watch your son, so having child care would be a good idea all around.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • ailynk said:
    So my husband is working out of town and won't be present. And as we just moved here, I don't know anyone and neighbor not comfortable babysitting.

Was your under 2yr old present during your previous birth? Same room or in waiting room? How did he/she respond?

I'm now considering home birth as I don't think it is appropriate for him to be present and not up to midwives to babysit if he is a handful. And it's not like I can drive mysrlf to the hospital. At least at home I can be in the bedroom with the midwives while he watches tv and plays with his toys???

Thoughts???
    Sorry,but you need to figure something out with your LO.  having him watch TV and play with toys in another room, unsupervised, while midwife is with you is not appropriate. Especially if you are in pushing stage for almost 3 hours like I was.

It's not the midwives job to watch you and be a babysitter. It's something that you would need to be upfront and honest about.  

If it becomes an urgent matter and you are transferred to the hospital, he needs someone there to watch him. Especially if it comes to you being put under for emergency c-section and having to stay in hospital for a few days.

If you end up delivering in the hospital (at least ours) does not allow young children in delivery room.  

Sorry if the post sounds worst case senerio, but you just never know what will happen.  You truly need to figure out a care taker for him.
  • Loading the player...
  • You need a babysitter. Maybe find a doula, so you know it is someone comfortable being present at a birth.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Yes I agree 100%. I haven't been able to find a babysitter who is available on call 24hrs. But I continue searching.
  • ailynk said:
    Yes I agree 100%. I haven't been able to find a babysitter who is available on call 24hrs. But I continue searching.
    That's why I suggested a doula. Pricey, but worth it in this situation.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Thanks everyone for your input.  Finally found a solution - Brightstar Care.  I can call 24hrs a day for a babysitter who will drive my son and I to the birthing center and babysit him in the family waiting room until my husband arrives a few hours later!  Its a medical organization that does transport, special needs care, home nursing and hospital companionship.  They quoted me $21phr!