August 2017 Moms

GTKY 7/31 - Name Questions

1. Were you named after anyone? 

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone?

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  

Re: GTKY 7/31 - Name Questions

• NxyNxy member
    1. My middle name came from my great grandma (Jo)

2. His middle name will be his best friends name (Derrik) <--- I wish DH was open to spelling it differently though 

3. Honestly no idea. I feel like "Sarah" fits me well enough 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. Were you named after anyone?

Not after anyone, but after a song. So ... maybe that counts? Lol.

DD's middle name is an English/Canadian version of her great, great grandmother's Croatian name (my mom's middle name is also a Canadian variation of that name). This LO, if a boy, will have my dad's name as a middle name, and if it's a girl, her middle name will either be my middle name or something as a nod to my dad.

We chose first names just based on what we like.

I actually like my name, lol, so I'd stick with what my parents chose.
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. Were you named after anyone?  I got my middle name (Lee) from my Godmother. 

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? Nope. We haven't named any of our kids after family, friends, etc. 

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  I love my daughter's names! She's Piper Savannah, and I'd be happy with either. I feel like my name is...boring? 
  • 1. My middle name (Elizabeth) was a family name. Grandmother, aunt, cousin.

2. Little guy isn't named after anyone. We are sort of shortening his grandfather's name for a middle name but that's more of a coincedence than anything.

3. I really like my name (Alysse). It was very uncommon as I was growing up. The only tough thing was I had a really difficult to pronounce last name so nobody ever got my name right, in any form. Also, I had a lisp, so that was that was fun for quite a while.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • tova24tova24 member
    1. Were you named after anyone? 
    Nope. My name was going to be Tara Rose, but my mom got sick of it in the labor process and just picked my current name. My middle name is Gabrielle because got to have something Jewish in there? 

Nope. I'm just giving him a good, strong name. Something that'll sound good when called at his college graduation or wedding. 

When I was younger I always wanted an American name; something easy to pronounce. Now that I'm older, I love confusing people by having an Indian first and last name while being the whitest person ever. So, long answer short, nope; I'm not creative enough to pick a name for myself. 
  • littlebug2010littlebug2010 member
    edited July 2017
    1. Were you named after anyone?  My first name is after my moms favorite literary character, and my middle name is from both grandmothers.  Paternal grandmothers middle name and Maternal grandmothers first name.  It was so perfect, because I was the first grandbaby on both sides. 

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? LOs middle name is my dads name.  We figured we would do one name from my family for one kid and one from his for the other.  DH is named after both of his grandfathers, but that wouldnt work for our kid (the names really do not mix well), so we chose one.  His first name is a biblical name, but it was DHs favorite story growing up, so its perfect. 

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?   I wish I could pronounce my name with a spanish accent.  My name originally is a hispanic name (though its been americanized forever), and now my last name is also Mexican, so if someone says it with the accent, its soo pretty.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • 1. Were you named after anyone? Nope

DD is named after my maternal grandmother. 
    If this one is a girl, she'll be named with a nod to one of my paternal grandparents. 
    If this is a boy, the first name is a nod to DH and I's first camping location and the middle name is his first name. 

I'm fine with my name now. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• 1. Were you named after anyone? 4 people, my mom had a friend named Anna, which is my first name, my middle name is Elizabeth after my Granny. My mom's 2 younger sisters have the middle names Ann and Beth, so after them, too.  

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? Yes, DS is Henry James after both grandpas and this LO will be Eli Ward. I always wanted to use Elizabeth or Eliza for a girl, but since I'm having 2 boys, DH came up with Eli as a way to still honor my Granny. Ward was her maiden name, so he's still named for her.

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  I like my name, simple, but not overly common. I was going to be AnnaBeth, but my dad said it was too long. When I married I dropped maiden name and kept my middle because it was more important to me.

• 1. Were you named after anyone? My middle name is my grandfathers, grandmothers name. 

DD had my Moms name as her middle name. This little guy will have DHs dads name as his middle name. We still haven't settled on a first name (RCS is in 4 days!) but one of them on our list is my grandmothers maiden name.  

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  I've always been fine with my name, can't imagine being named anything else. 
  • 1. Were you named after anyone?  Nope

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? LO will have my dad's first name as his middle name

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  I like my name, I couldn't imagine being called something else
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• 1. Nope! My mom just wanted something that sounded southern ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

2. Yes! She'll be named after my late grandfather (using his first name). A lot of old southern men have very feminine first names and end up going by their middle name, so it's not totally weird that we're using a male's name for our girl. Middle name will be Catherine, after Princess Kate---we just love her grace and elegance! 

3. Nope, I like my name (Amanda), just don't call me Mandy (even though my parents do).
  • 1. Were you named after anyone? No. My mom got the idea from a soap opera (Brooke)

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? No. I looked up unisex names and this is the one we could agree on (Emery) 

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  I like my name! I always get compliments and it's rare, at least in my area. 
  • 1. Were you named after anyone?  Yes, my moms nephew who passed when he was in his twenties. Tradition is just to use the same first initial as the person you are naming after, so N it is.

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? Middle name will be after my mom's cousin who was her best friend and passed almost 2yrs ago. She was an awesome woman so I love that my DD will have that. I mean you want a strong, independent woman-that was my mom's cousin!

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  I rarely go by my given name. Even when I was little no one called me Nicole- always Nikki. Which is funny since Nicole is one of my DHs favorite names. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @HappyToBeHere What song?! 
    Amanda by Don Williams :)

My middle name (Ruth) is the middle name of my great grandmother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, me, and my daughter. My grandmother likes to joke that "we're not a ruthless family!"

All their middle names are family names. Oldest DS's middle name is the name of the man who was the furthest we could trace into our family's geneology. DD's middle name was explained above, and new baby's middle name is Dean, which is shortened from
    Deanda, my DH's grandfather's middle name. 

First names were all random ones we liked.

I have enough trouble naming my kids...I'll stick with the one I have! It fits me!

• My name is Morgann and I was born on my aunt's birthday. My mom has only one sister and they were very close. I also grew up very close to her. My mom was planning to name me Morgan with on 'n' but since I was born on my aunt's birthday and her middle name is ann, she added the extra 'n' to my name. 
    My daughter was born about a week after my aunt passed away and I was on bedrest in the hospital during her ceremony of life. My mom and I decided to have DD's middle name Joliann to honor her in the same fashion. 

This baby is the only one not named after anyone in our families. 

I really enjoy my name. It is common and unique all at the same time and I always loved it growing up. I think it fits me. 
  • 1. Were you named after anyone?  Princess Diana. My mom was obsessed with Lady Di. growing up my Dad would call me Lady Di, up to now actually.

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone?  No, I just really love the name Olivia (first name) and my DH picked the middle name of Averie.

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  I always like Raquel since middle school days when in Spanish 1 class we had to pick out our "spanish name" for the year. But over all in all, I was fine with my name.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Nope

Eleanor is a variation of Helen, DH's deceased grandmother, and her middle name Lorraine is DH's late mother. 

My name is fairly generic but for some reason it's the hardest freaking name for people to read/pronounce/spell. My name is Christina with an A. Not Christine, not Christin, not Christy, not Christian. I'd pick something super easy and unmistakable lol
    I was named after my grandmother who passed away when my mom was 12

We just chose names we liked and put them together as his first and middle. 

Honestly, I dont know. I like my name.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My grandmother's name was Christine, so they named me Kristen.

We picked first names based on what we like.  Middle names are after people.  DS is Landon William (after my late Grandfather).  If this baby is a boy, he will be Logan Blake (Blake is my DH), and if this baby is a girl, she will be Hailey Rose (after DH's late grandmother).  

I don't love my name, but it suits me.  I did like that I was the only Kristen in my classes growing up and that it wasn't super common.

Pregnancy Ticker

• lewlivlewliv member
    1. Were you named after anyone? Yes. Livia Drusilla, wife of Roman emperor Augustus. 

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? If it's a boy, Leo Matthew, Leo is DH's mom's last name. Matthew is DH's bff he was visiting in Brazil when we met. 
    If the baby's a girl, Ella Claire, not after anyone. Just 2 names I like. 

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  I like my name. Can't see myself as anything else. 
    My middle name is the same as my mom's and great aunt's, it is also one of the most common middle names out there so I am glad my first name is not common.

We do first name as their own and then middle after family.  DS is after my dad and DD will have something from my grandmother or myself depending on what first name we choose.

I have always loved my name.  Now there is a major piece of technology with the same name, so in five years I may feel differently.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My mom says it was "inspired" by a friend of hers when I was born but that I am not named after her. Ok, sure mom!

No, both of our girls' names were just names we liked that sounded nice together. Rosalie has been the girl name we had in mind since before we were married, and Lilah just sounded so sweet with it!

As a child I hated my name because it was so common. So many Sarah's in school... I always had to use my last initial too. I remember distinctly wishing my name was Chelsea when I was in grade school, but now I like Sarah even though it's common for women my age. I think it suits me!
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    1. My middle name (Grace) is after my grandfather's sister who died at 40 from breast cancer.
    2. The plan right now is to name this LO after my grandmother (first name)
    3. I have no idea what I'd change my name to, so I'm happy with it
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

I was named after two great grandparents who passed away before I was born.  We traditionally use the first initial of the name to honor someone who passed away.

My grandmother passed away last year so we'll be using either a first or middle name starting with C to honor her.  I've had a girl's name picked out for a while and DH didn't object, but we have only had 1 discussion on a boy's name months ago and didn't decide on anything.  We really need to settle on a name or at least have a few options to pick from soon because I have a feeling that we're having another boy.

I don't mind my name and have no idea what else I'd rather be called.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    - Nope

- First name for this one no, I dreamt it right after the anatomy scan- Izaiah. Was never even on our list previously. But middle name yes! DH is Jason and he's gone by J his whole like and hates when people spell it 'Jay' because there's no y in Jason lol so this LO middle will be Jai. DH would prefer just a J but we compromised. 
    Also DS1 is Oskar Skott after my grandfather and dad respectively and DS2 is Leon Austin after my other grandfather and DH's favorite nephew respectively.

- I always wanted to be a 'Leah' for some reason. Never really liked my first name.
  • morgy_bee said:
    My name is Morgann and I was born on my aunt's birthday. My mom has only one sister and they were very close. I also grew up very close to her.

I really enjoy my name. It is common and unique all at the same time and I always loved it growing up. I think it fits me. 
    @morgy_bee I LOVE the name Morgan(n) and think it's a great underused choice. It was almost my name if my dad had his way! 

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
    No. 

We haven't decided on a name, but all our favorite variations have some family roots between either the first or middle names. It's tradition in my family that you should name your child after a beloved family member that has passed away. You don't have to use their name, even just using the same first letter is ok. 

I love my name! My parents choose wisely for me! It suits me perfectly and I loved growing up with a unique (for the time) name. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. Named after anyone? Yes. My middle name is my grandmothers maiden name. My brother has our other grandmother's maiden name. 

2. Baby named after anyone? Yes. To me it is very important to use a family name for a middle name (personal opinion) so this one will have my fathers name as his middle. 

3. Another name for me? My name is just Abbey. I always wished it were Abigail for more formal occasions. 
  • 1) I was named after a car, which coincidentally is my favorite car (Shelby GT500). My middle name is a family name: my mom's and my cousin's (Lynn).

2) LO's middle name will be the same as mine. Which, along with being mine, my mom's, and my cousin's, is also MIL's and SIL's middle name!

3) I don't think I could picture myself with another name... maybe Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock  :D
    but in all seriousness, I do like my name, I haven't met many others with it and I love that my parents weren't afraid to tell me that my dad chose it because of a car.
  • 1. I'm named after a stupid romance novel character. I THOUGHT I was named after Queen Victoria. Nope... I'm still a little bitter. 

2. His first name after my husband. And his grandfather. And his great grandfather. 
    One middle name is my dad and brother's name. Other middle name is my mom's maiden name. 

3. I prefer my nickname to my whole name. Sometimes I accidentally ignore people when they call me by my full name since I'm not used to it. 
    My middle name is my grandmother's first name. 

DH and my dad are both Charles, although DH goes by his middle name. We're team green and really like Charlie for either a boy or girl, so it's a strong possibility. 

I dig my name. I've always like the name Lucy too. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • 1. Were you named after anyone? My first name is based off of my being born close to Christmas (It was either going to be Holly or Christine, they went with the latter). My middle name is my dad's mother. 

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone?  Yes, we have always used family middle names. This baby will have my FIL's name as a middle name. 

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  I don't dislike my name at all, and I think it suits me, but just for fun if I had to pick a different name I might go with something super gaelic, weird spelling and all, like:

Aoibheann

Eavan | Say: eve-een

Aoibhinn means ‘lovely’, the name is also sometime a diminutive of Eve – ‘little Eve’.

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• 1. Yes, my parents had some friends who named their daughter Sarah Kirsten Rose (two middles). Then they moved to New Zealand. My parents loved the name so much they basically stole it.

2. Nope! We were trying with the middle name but it just didn't flow. It's also one of my sister's kid's middle names and she already used my daughter's middle name (Rose from MY name!) before me. Ugh

3. I truly love my name. I didn't even change my maiden name to my middle after getting married because I love my 3 names so much. I love my married last name too!
  • A couple people here have mentioned that they didn't move their maiden name to their middle name when they got married because they like their middle name so much... Is transitioning a maiden name to middle name a common thing? As far as I know most of my friends kept their middle name and just took on their husband's last name. The few that didn't do that kept their names completely and use their husband's last name informally.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mango517 said:
    A couple people here have mentioned that they didn't move their maiden name to their middle name when they got married because they like their middle name so much... Is transitioning a maiden name to middle name a common thing? As far as I know most of my friends kept their middle name and just took on their husband's last name. The few that didn't do that kept their names completely and use their husband's last name informally.

I noticed this mentioned a lot in here too and was scratching my head. Definitely not common amongst my circle to change your middle name to your maiden name. The other thing I know of people doing in hyphenating the two last names. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @Mango517 and @bumpybump around here it's pretty standard to drop your middle name and keep your maiden name as your middle. I'm not sure if it's because it makes it easier for documents or why, just what people do.  Both my mom and MIL dropped their middle name and changed their middle name to the first initial of their maiden name. So my mom is first name T. Last name, t being the first letter of her maiden name.  I have a friend from college that tried to keep her middle and maiden and she said the social security office made a big deal about it.
  • I also kept my middle name & just changed my last name when I got married. *shrugs*