August 2017 Moms

GTKY 7/31 - Name Questions

2»

Re: GTKY 7/31 - Name Questions

• I would have never changed my middle name. I love it. Also I was so happy to change my maiden name from what it was. Although, now I'm getting divorced but I'm still keeping the name. 
  • This is weird to me, but my cousin got married last year and had her husband drop his middle name and change it to her maiden name, she kept her maiden as her middle and took his last so they both have her maiden name as their middle name and his last name.  When she first told me I though it was a joke, but nope, she was dead serious.
  • Loading the player...
  • @Mango517 @bumpybump @SouthernMama15 @PinkPrincessPiper I definitely think it's a regional (Southern) thing. I changed my middle to my maiden and a good chunk of my friends did the same. It's just a way to honor your family (I think). I love my maiden name and how strong my 'maiden name' family is, so it was an honor for me to make it my middle name.
  • @Mango517 @bumpybump @SouthernMama15 @PinkPrincessPiper I definitely think it's a regional (Southern) thing. I changed my middle to my maiden and a good chunk of my friends did the same. It's just a way to honor your family (I think). I love my maiden name and how strong my 'maiden name' family is, so it was an honor for me to make it my middle name.
    I was thinking it was a southern thing. My parents were so offended that I dropped my maiden name completely! 
  • Don't get me wrong, there's many times I'd love to have my maiden name back but mostly because my ILs drive me crazy, there are no blood ties there for DH (yes, I know, some don't think blood matters...I do), and I'm much more "defined" by my maiden name. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• +1324234 to just dropping my maiden name.  I had never heard of people holding on to it, or using it as their middle name when they got married.  I love my married name, but I do find it weird that there are people who dont know me as my other name.  I taught with both names, and found myself missing my maiden name.  However, I really think my name would be strange if I had my maiden name as my middle.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • NxyNxy member
    edited August 2017
    So not to be too forward @brookedeyo but say what?! Please don't feel you need to air out your laundry if you don't want to buut, can we get some details on your home life??
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited August 2017
    @Nxy I don't get it? I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of my life. 
    Edit: maybe I took it the wrong way and you truly are asking. I think I've shared it before but I've been separated from my ex for almost two years now. We share custody of my son. Divorce has been pending but it's almost done. Pregnant now with my bf who lives with me. 
  • NxyNxy member
    @Nxy I don't get it? I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of my life. 
    Edit: maybe I took it the wrong way and you truly are asking. I think I've shared it before but I've been separated from my ex for almost two years now. We share custody of my son. Divorce has been pending but it's almost done. Pregnant now with my bf who lives with me. 
    Was 100% being serious.
    I thought I recalled something about a boyfriend but couldn't remember exactly. I just wanted to ask without you feeling obligated to answer. Thanks for the clarification! Significant less dramatic than where my mind had headed lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @brookedeyo I think she was truly asking because I was confused too! I must've missed the deets about your divorce. (Not that you have to share any of that, it just seemed like new news here!) 
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    edited August 2017
    1. My mom was inspired by Whitney Houston

2. My daughter will be named Hope after my grandmother, Esperanza.

3. I like my name but I actually go by my middle name and not my first name which is kind of odd to most people. 
  • @SouthernMama15 my mom did the same thing. First name, first letter of maiden (also a T!), married name.
  • 1. Were you named after anyone? 
    My middle name is after the song "Rhiannon" - it's a pretty name but thought it was less so when I found out the song is about a Medieval witch...
    My first name my mom first heard and liked it while watching a video about baby colic when she was pregnant with me 

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? 
    Middle name will be after DH's dad.
    My sister is planning to use our own fathers name as a boy name if she has a Boy in the future so she kind of "called" it, but I still feel bad about honoring one side and not the other

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  
    I like my name! 
  • I had a REALLY hard time changing my last name; I felt defined by my maiden name, and wasn't keen on having my ILs last name (although I did want to share a last name with DH). I've heard of people dropping their middle name, or hyphenating, but I was too lazy/nervous to do any of those things until the majority of my major IDs started expiring.

Then, DD came along around the same time that my IDs started expiring, and I couldn't get to the license bureau fast enough to change my last name to match hers and DH's. Thanks, hormones lol. I'm pleased, though, and wouldn't change it back now.
  • 1. Were you named after anyone? My first name is after my great grandmother whom my dad loved dearly 

2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? I am naming her Rosalee because of my aunt who is loosing her battle at the moment to cancer, she has got worse and she was one of my favorite aunts, she would always take care of me and spoil me when little.

3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be? I would keep my name as my middle name is not very popular Yamilet, when i was younger I never liked it and would tell my mom what kind of drugs they give her at the hospital for picking my middle name lol
  • 1. not named after anyone but middle name is after my grandmother (Virginia which I've had mixed feelings on...love Nana but it's so old fashioned)

2. Not naming our LO after anyone

3. Would keep my name

I hemmed and hawed (sp?) over changing my last name but decided I wanted to have the same last name as my kids - I was close to not so no judgement either way. I wasn't going to change it until we decided to try getting pregnant but in the state I got married in it was so much easier to just change it on the marriage certificate. I love my maiden name but my parents got divorced and I have a weird relationship with my dad so going out of my way to keep it seems weird. Now I need to rush and change the name on all of my accounts for our trust to be notarized. I also haven't changed my display name or email at work (not planning to) or on facebook (will soon once the baby is born).

My mom hated her maiden name and is from/lives in New England and changed her middle name to her maiden name so I never thought that was odd. My friend moved to Colorado and wanted to do it...the lady at the office was all sorts of confused when she wanted to make her maiden name her middle name, but I think it's a known, if not super common, thing in NE.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• My mom kept her maiden name, which was not as common 30yrs ago. So, we definitely got some extra questions or double asks on forms or school registration or people assumed my parents were divorced. Annoying, but nothing more. 
    I changed my name, while my mom didn't bother me, I always wanted my name to match my kids. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited August 2017
    Mango517 said:
    A couple people here have mentioned that they didn't move their maiden name to their middle name when they got married because they like their middle name so much... Is transitioning a maiden name to middle name a common thing? As far as I know most of my friends kept their middle name and just took on their husband's last name. The few that didn't do that kept their names completely and use their husband's last name informally.

I think it's a Southern thing. At least that's what I've heard from my northern friends. My mom and all my sisters did it and probably thought I was crazy when I didn't.
  • In Brazil, everyone carries their mother's and father's maiden name. Then when you get married, you drop your mother's maiden name and add your husband's and at the end. The children have the same two last names as the mother (father's and husband's last name). My brother is very upset that I'm not giving my family name to the baby.
  • littlebug2010littlebug2010 member
    edited August 2017
    @lewliv my father in law is Mexican, and his name
    is the same, first name, second name, Paternal surname, maternal surname. For DH they dropped the extras and just went with paternal surname. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • When my parents moved to New Orleans they required her to change her middle name to her maiden on legal documents- she's from the Midwest- 

not sure if if that was her being dramatic or not- but living in the south I'd say it's about 50/50 with my friends and their maiden names. I dropped mine like it was hot-- 9 German letters that shouldn't go together- my middle name is a family name so I didn't feel like I was scorning anyone-- plus I got to keep my monogram!    
  • 1. Were you named after anyone? 
    I'm named Helen after my maternal grandmother
    2. Are you planning to name your LO after anyone? 
    My 4 year olds middle name is Brilynn its a blend of my sister's first name  (saBRIna) and my mom's middle name (lynn) 
    3. If you were to pick your own name, what would it be?  
    I'm not sure what I'd pick. I always make comments about having an old lady name but don't know what would suit me better.