July 2017 Moms

Hospital Bag & First Days

1234568»

Re: Hospital Bag & First Days

• @satsumasandlemons I'm not, but I also know that they'll give me one at my hospital if I need it. If your hospital has a LC on staff, you probably won't need to worry about it. Plus, it's better if you can get through without it.  
    @satsumasandlemons our LC will also provide them if needed. They provided quite a few things if you presented a need (nipple cream, hydrogel soothing things for nipples, etc).
  • @satsumasandlemons I'm not, but I also know that they'll give me one at my hospital if I need it. If your hospital has a LC on staff, you probably won't need to worry about it. Plus, it's better if you can get through without it.  
    Why is it better? Just wondering if there was justification for the torture of not offering me one earlier...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Loading the player...
    Why is it better? Just wondering if there was justification for the torture of not offering me one earlier...
    I think because it become a clutch for baby? 

Actually scratch that - here's the kellymom article, @glitterfish-2
    https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/nb-challenges/wean-shield/

• I'm taking mine..
  • Okay so to clarify the "better to go without." It's obviously not better for everyone and they're around for a reason. It's only better to go without if there isn't a reason to use them. If you feel like you need it, by all means, use it. I'm just repeating what the LC told me with DD. It's better to go without if it's not a necessity. If you're bleeding and having problems, clearly it's a necessity. I'm relying on the LC to help me determine that. 
  • I'm just taking lanolin cream, a couple nursing pads, and a nursing bra. I didn't get breast shields because the lactation consultant said try BF without them first and use them only if you need them.
  • nikkiandchrisnikkiandchris member
    edited July 2017
    @satsumasandlemons I bring my nursing essentials (soothies, breast shells, lanolin) because for DD2 there was no LC on staff the day I really needed them. So I pack them since they don't take up much space, then I leave them in my bag if they provide for me. I just wouldn't want to go without.

eta: these are the ish if you need relief but don't want to use the shields for feeding: Medela SoftShells for Sore Nipples https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LSP1PE6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qt3zzbYPCH4NW
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @nikkiandchris should I order one for each side or is one enough? So, do I wear this until nursing time and then take off to nurse? Sorry, I'm a little unclear! 
  • @satsumasandlemons the LC at my hospital gave me two of the shells with the instructions to tuck them into my bra when I'm not nursing (or sleeping). If you're planning on ordering them, you'll need one for each side. But hopefully they'll be provided for you! 
  • @nikkiandchris should I order one for each side or is one enough? So, do I wear this until nursing time and then take off to nurse? Sorry, I'm a little unclear! 
    I just opened my pack to double check and there are 2 in there! I wear them whenever I'm not nursing. They keep fabric from rubbing on the nipples and the airflow lets them heal. I think going topless would accomplish the same but... sometimes you need a shirt lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Greatest thing I brought to the hospital...my own pillow
  • chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited July 2017
    +1 to my pillow and a longer phone charger.  I did shave my legs and use my makeup, but that's me, and I knew I would.  I was also super happy to have my own clothes, except underwear, because the hospital ones were better.
  • @virginiaunicorn11 would love to know which sheild you used.. I have a few but they don't seem to be working keep slipping off etc
  • @BusyZee I've been using a medela shield.  You want to make sure you get the right size (an LC gave me one - not sure how to size it otherwise). I also learned a trick to turn the shield mostly inside out except for the very tip, put the tip over your nipple, then flip the rest of the shield right side out over your nipple to create suction so it stays in place. Not sure if that makes sense but maybe there's a video out there. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @BusyZee ditto to what @greenbean-2 said! My LC also recommended I put a small amount of lanolin around my nipple/areola to help the shield stick better. It worked OK but never perfectly. We don't have to use the shield anymore so hopefully your time with it is short lived!
  • @busyzee I'm using the medela shields (size 24) whenever I'm not pumping to feed and I have to hold the sides down until baby girl fully latches on. I also have to do the inside-out method that @greenbean-2 mentions to create enough suction. Sometimes she'll knock the shield off with her jerky newborn arm motions and I'll have to dry it off before reapplying. 
  • I used a little water to get the shield to stick. Will check the brand tomorrow - they're stored in my sleeping toddler's bedroom right now.