July 2017 Moms
Options

Hospital Bag & First Days

Re: Hospital Bag & First Days

• Options
    Lol! @nikkiandchris that's too funny.
  • Options
    Is it bad that I'm going to bring liiiike nothing..? I'm going to a hospital but they provided literally everything except a phone charger. I stayed in the gowns because people are coming and pulling them off you every five mins and left in the clothes I came to the hospital in. I had 3 bags (1 of food because I didn't know if my hospital would provide meals for a special diet, they did) and didn't touch any of them. Never even opened the bags  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cssme13 I used a couple and they were ok, I would rather use the giant pads and mesh undies.
  • Options
    @nikkiandchris you just made me laugh so hard lol

• Options
    is it worthwhile to bring your own gown(s)? I bought one on a whim since it was on sale, but now I'm wondering if that was silly. Especially after @nktrodden826 brought up the staff taking the gowns on and off you. 

...maybe I'll just keep it at home for the first couple days with the little one. 
  • Options
    @lanie1000 I brought a nightgown that looked like a cotton dress...It was "nursing friendly," and I'll probably do the same this time.
  • Options
    @MrsLa3 good to know! I'll stick with ordering some extra mesh undies from Amazon

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    What type of clothes are you bringing for post-delivery? I want to be comfortable and presentable if we have visitors.
  • Options
    oheliza44 said:
    What type of clothes are you bringing for post-delivery? I want to be comfortable and presentable if we have visitors.
    I like yoga pants with the big band on them that I can pull up over my belly and then a v-neck tshirt with a nursing tank underneath that way I can look presentable but still be comfortable. In all honesty though I only put on real clothes the day we are being discharged (c/s mom) and I haven't ever felt uncomfortable with visitors while I am just in the gown.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    DcwtadaDcwtada member
    edited April 2017
    @oheliza44 definitely high waisted yoga pants or your favorite maternity pants - you will take a little time to shrink back, I think I looked around 6-7 months upon discharge. Plus if you have a c/s you will want to make sure there is no band or line rubbing your incision. 

I had a few basic nursing tanks that I loved and then either a looser wrap or shirt to put over it. I am not sure how presentable I looked lol, but I was about as comfortable as I could get PP. There is an advantage to having a summer baby and not having to bundle up to go outside those first few days/weeks. 
  • Options
    nikkiandchrisnikkiandchris member
    edited April 2017
    @oheliza44 I brought gaucho style pants with a wide, soft band, nursing tanks, a hoodie/ robe and flip flops. I felt more comfortable being in my own clothes as soon as I could. My maternity pants didn't work after c/s because the seam was right where the incision was... but that's probably going to be different for everyone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I appreciate the moms who bring make up and do their hair and actually look nice after delivery.  And I know this board even has some of them.  My hat is off to you!  Like some of the previous posters, I was happy to wear my sweatpants, with a loose waist band, and tank tops with hoodies.  I think its totally up to you, but I wasn't feeling up to looking presentable.  Just keep in mind that you may not be feeling that great and comfort may be more important.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @oheliza44 I wore the hospital gown the whole 4 days I was in the hospital. Honestly, it was easy access for the medical staff and for BFing. And less laundry for me to worry about or bleed on. The room was so freaking warm too, I couldn't wear the pj pants I brought without soaking through with sweat. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Options
    I wore a nursing dress and a soft nursing bra on the first two days.  I think it was a nightgown, technically, but it looked more like a sundress to me.  I had a skirt and nursing top on the last day.  I know a bunch of people are saying yoga/sweatpants, but the last thing I wanted to do was put on pants when I was that sore.  I was one of the people who showered and did makeup afterwards, but that was to make me feel better.  It wasn't to look presentable.  I just felt dirty, and wanted to feel clean when I held my baby.
  • Options
    @chiquita928 ^All of that, I want to feel as clean and presentable as possible afterwards, and everyone's priorities are different regarding that. I also plan to take something like a dress or skirt because pants don't sound like fun to me. 
  • Options
    I think I'm going to buy a couple presentable night gowns to wear during my stay at the hospital. The idea of wearing pants after labour makes me cringe. For going home I'll probably wear a lightweight, comfortable maternity sun dress, something nice and comfortable. 
  • Options
    The first day I wore a hospital gown and then after I wore pajama pants and a nursing tank. I also put some makeup on (nothing crazy, mascara, highlighter and lip gloss) and fixed my hair as I wanted to feel presentable and I had a lot of different visitors at the hospital. 

These pants from target were awesome PP as they have almost no elastic and are very flowy! I sized up one size for after birth and there was more than enough room! 

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-modal-pajama-pant-extended-lengths-gilligan-o-malley-153/-/A-13750427

• Options
    @acstec1 I wanted to ask you a few questions/advice can I bother you via PM? 
  • Options
    @BusyZee of course! 
  • Options
    @nikkiandchris Bahahaha that's hilarious.  I was all about those mesh undies but I could totally see my DH doing that if I wanted my own lol.

This might sound silly but last time I packed a few straws for labor because I was afraid I'd slosh water in my face every time I tried to take a sip from my water bottle.  Hospitals probably have straws but I was weirdly obsessed with bringing my own.

Popsicles were awesome during labor and my old hospital let you keep them in the nurses' station freezer if you put your name and the date on them.

I brought a few sheets of card stock and the nurses did extra footprints for me that I then put in albums of newborn pics for my parents and my in-laws.

PHONE CHARGER.

@kerils and @Twinkiedoll, that's exactly what I did- pack the things you don't use regularly and put a printed list of your everyday items on top of your bag so you can just run through the list quickly on the big day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used:

Slippers, hair ties, chapstick,  chargers, snacks, a robe, nursing bra, and my own toiletries. I also used my hair dryer, straightener, and usual products. Yes to bringing razors. I really wanted to feel like my old/normal self. 

I may take Depends this time. I didn't last time and bled through the gigantic pads and mesh underwear. I also felt a little awkward in that set up. Depend Silhouettes felt like regular underwear to me and provided better protection. I was so glad that have them when I got home.

Did not use: almost anything packed for baby. Only 2 outfits, a blanket (for a more personal touch. Was not even needed), and mittens. DS's nails were sharp and I was too cautious to successfully trim them. Filing them also did not work because they were thin and soft like paper. 

To me, it is not worth the space to pack towels, pillows, magazine, or Boppy. Our hospital had enough and it was difficult to pack up and get out of there. My milk didn't fully come in until day 3, so I didn't need breastpads, and the hospital provided nipple cream
  • Options
    Only going to be bringing the absolute bare necessities. Will wear a dress there that I can wear back home after. We're going with midwife so we'll be released in 3-6 hours (unless there's complications) so I'm doubting we'll need very much but I'm going to check with my midwife closer to then. 

We've also told both our families we don't want anyone but parents to come to the hospital. Because our time there is so short and there's going to be so much going on they can wait a day or two to meet him so we can both feel slightly more human again. I don't see anyone making a big deal about it but his sister but really neither of us care (she couldn't be bothered to come to the gender reveal and it was my bfs daughters 4th birthday at the beginning of the month and his sister didn't show, call, or even apologize for missing it). 
  • Options
    I totally ordered a free sample of the Depends Silhouette to see if I might want to purchase some for after delivery LOL!  I don't ever use pads so part of me is thinking that Depends will help eliminate the insane discomfort I know I'm going to feel wearing the mesh and a pad.
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    stokesm21 said:
    I totally ordered a free sample of the Depends Silhouette to see if I might want to purchase some for after delivery LOL!  I don't ever use pads so part of me is thinking that Depends will help eliminate the insane discomfort I know I'm going to feel wearing the mesh and a pad.
    Don't underestimate the awesomeness of the mesh undies.  I don't wear pads either but after delivery the mesh undies and pad combination was perfect.  I tried  depends but they were way less comfortable and caused all kinds of sweat (DS was an August baby).  
  • Options
    I honestly think you're going to be so uncomfortable for so many other reason that the pad will be the least of your worries! Plus 1 for the mesh undies being crucial!
  • Options
    Funny tip looking back I will share: I won't get into the drama of the birth but had to have days and days of fluids and I swear it all went to my face! I was so out of it mentally from pushing him out, and being a FTM, my DH and I didn't even realize to elevate the bed to a more natural sitting position......so in every damn picture from the few hours following birth, I have about 12 chins, my face is as round as a giant backetball,  I'm awkwardly leaning forward from laying down, and literally do not even look like myself!!!!!! A few days later while looking at pictures I said OMG THESE ALL SUCK ASS!!! Why on earth did we not sit me upright more?? Lmao oh well, the more you know. Also, I love the pictures now. 

Also adding i was in a lot of pain and being a FTM didn't know I had to ask for pain meds after birth. I kept thinking they would take care of me. So HOURS later, I'm in so much pain and crying and found out the hard way to ask for pain meds. I'm going to be ALL OVER THAT SHIT medicine schedule this time around. LMAO phone timers.   

From reading all this, I'm very fortunate my hospital provides 100% of what baby needs. It's nice not to have to worry about that.  

• Options
    RubyRedPirateRubyRedPirate member
    edited May 2017
    This thread has helped so much! I'm a minimalist so I found all these lists to be helpful when I kept seeing the same items over and over. 

A few questions if anyone doesn't mind to answer... How many bags did you take? Since baby wont need much, I plan on using my mostly empty diaper bag as my hospital bag. It has a zillion pockets and I was wondering if this is realistic. We don't have a suitcase because we usually just need 2 backpacks full of stuff when we go on vacation. 

My other question, and maybe this is a dumb question, but if your milk doesn't come in for a few days, what is baby getting? One of my friends said she practically had to beg to get donor milk because her milk wasn't coming in but the LC wouldn't let her give up trying to pump and breastfeed and the LC was against formula.  She said this time she may bring some formula with her if it happens again. I'd never heard this before so had no clue. I have slightly inverted nipples so I'm worried I wont be able to breastfeed. 

ME: 28 DH: 27
    Started Dating: 10/20/2006
     Married: 10/20/2013
    MMC @ 8w 12/15
    MC @ 5w 03/16
    ALEXANDER JAMES DUE JULY 15th!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @RubyRedPirate I would just take one bag each for you and for your partner.

Baby is getting colostrum for the first few days which is just thicker, higher fat concentrated milk and it comes out in teeny amounts.  I was told I had inverted nipples last time and I was still able to Bf for a year so that's not necessarily a deal breaker.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @RubyRedPirate I'm taking 3 bags, my bag, purse, and diaper bag. My purse probably doesn't count as a bag, actually it's huge so maybe it does. It also depends on your situation tho, DH won't be staying me in the hospital since we have other children. 
  • Options
    @RubyRedPirate - we will take 1 duffel bag and DH will bring his pillow. He only needs 2 pairs of basketball shorts, 2 t-shirts, socks, boxers and a sweatshirt (which he will probably wear in, we check in at 5am). I will wear in what I wear home. The entire time I stay in hospital stuff. I will being a footed pj and swaddle for baby. Toiletries and that's it!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    @RubyRed1085 I've had the same fear with my hospital! The only support BF and won't give formula. I'm hoping to BF, but what if I can't? Does baby just not get anything? I'm thinking of taking some formula, just to be safe. 
  • Options
    @RubyRedPirate I plan to pack a bag for things I might need during labor, and a different bag for things I will need afterward, and have DH go to the car and swap them out whenever I'm ready for it. So each bag can be a smallish tote and not take up a ton of space since the recovery rooms at our hospital are pretty small. 

I've never heard of someone getting donor milk until their milk came in. Baby gets colostrum in the early days, and doesn't need more than a few drops at a time. At birth, the baby's stomach is like the size of a grape. As long as baby is latching and sucking, it's fine to wait until your milk comes in. I would definitely not give formula in the hospital if you have a desire to BF. My DS was born on a Wednesday morning, and my milk didn't come in until Sunday. In the meantime, I still nursed him every 2-3 hours, and he got what he needed and the sucking stimulated my milk to come in. At your first pediatrician appointment (usually 3 days, usually after you're home from the hospital) the doctor will let you know if you need to do something different based on baby's weight. 
  • Options
    @RubyRedPirate to echo what others said many moms don't have their milk come in until they are home. Colostrum is plenty for baby at first. The only reason I would supplement in the hospital if I planned to BF is if the pediatrician said I needed to. And if that that happened they would make sure you got your hands on the formula you needed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @nktrodden826 the BF class I went to talked about this and showed something similar! Their stomach starts so small, but your colostrum is enough to keep them happy. Their tummies grow slightly every few days and eventually reach the size of an egg.

The lactation consultant said to not worry about not feeding enough. If you try to overfeed, the excess milk just gets spit back up.
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    @nktrodden826 so realistically how many times does the baby need to get fed with that first day amount?
  • Options
    cielaw89cielaw89 member
    edited May 2017
    @BusyZee I was told in the class 8-12 times in 24 hours for feedings. This means feeding whenever baby shows hunger signs. Other classes/hospitals may say different.