August 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

15678911»

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Suggestions

• @smallbutmighty77 if you get one that goes through wifi, make sure you have it password protected so creeps don't hack it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Oh my DH has that stuff on lockdown. He is super big on that stuff. I don't even know how to get into half our stuff!
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • For those of you who posted about the Lillebaby carrier - just saw that a few different versions are going to be on sale during Amazon Prime Day :) 
  • Sorry for all the questions here, I'm really worried about buying what I really need vs what we don't really need!

Roller shades for the car windows. Did anyone use/not use? Seem like a great idea i just wonder about actual effectiveness, safety (can I still see?)

I had the Eddie Bauer ones from Target on my registry.
  • @Kaityrj we have not used them at all in the 3+ years with DD. If you show up to a car seat check with certified technicians (at least in our town) they will tell you to remove them as they are a hazard. They can come off and potentially injure a child.

I know my sister's Honda Odyssey has built in ones that I'd assume are fine since they are physically built into the vehicle. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @Kaityrj
    Like @bumpybump , I didn't use them at all with my 2 year old.  I did buy a pair this go around, for the sole reason that it will be August and the sun is very bright.  I haven't taken them out of the box yet though, and don't plan to unless I find that it's absolutely necessary.  Hopefully I won't need them and I can return.

Pregnancy Ticker

• We use them because DS flips out if the sun gets in his eyes. I'm talking screaming, crying, clawing at his face. From the time he turned 1, he says, it's bright, it's bright and loses it.
  • @Kaityrj we were looking at those but then DH went and got the windows tinted...pretty sure it was more for him than baby, but it'll work. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • BFing moms, what bottles have you used or are you getting?  We used Born Free last time and I liked them, but it looks like the bottles have changed in the past 5 years.  Which ones have you had success with and are there any that your baby didn't like?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @MetsGirl18 we used the Avent ones with DD. We were lucky she took them without an issue. But every kid will vary and some will be super picky. So who knows if they'll work again for this LO. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump Thanks!  I used Avent with DS1, but I found they leaked a bit.  I stayed with them because he had no issues taking those bottles, but switched brands with DS2.  Maybe they've changed in 8 years just like a lot of baby products.  I'm hoping that this baby will happily take whatever brand I get.
  • @MetsGirl18 FTM here, but I keep reading everywhere that ComoTomo bottles are really great for preventing nipple confusion (which I don't believe in anyway, but I digress). They're a little pricey, but I've heard really great things.

I also read the best way to pick bottles is to compare the nipple to the way your nipples are shaped; the closer in size and shape the better.
  • edited July 2017
    @MetsGirl18 We used Avent bottles with both boys, and they worked very well. DD refused every bottle we tried until we finally splurged on the Comotomo bottles.  After EBF for 6 months, she finally took that bottle!

We are FF this time around, so I have a couple Avent bottles, a starter pack of both Born Free and Chicco bottles, and the Comotomos from DD. Hoping LO isn't picky & we can use them all. 

eta - Dr Browns bottles are the devil just because they have soooo many pieces to wash that take 3 different size brushes! 
  • @PinkPrincessPiper I've been avoiding Dr. Browns simply because I've heard it's a pain to wash all of the parts.  I hope you don't have the same issues with bottle refusal and having to go through so many brands this time around.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions!
  • We used the playtex nurser drop-ins for both girls with no nipple confusion issues and they'd are super easy to clean. I'm hoping this LO takes them as well!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• tova24tova24 member
    Crib bumpers: yay or ney? My crib set came with them but I'm worried about them being a suffocation hazard. What are you guys thinking? *apologies if this has already been asked*
  • @tova24 very big Nay. Suffocation hazard for sure to start out. Nothing else should be on/in the crib besides a fitted sheet and the baby either swaddled or with a "sleep sack" on.

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• tova24tova24 member
    @bumpybump that's what I was leaning towards! 
  • @tova24
    Totally agree with @bumpybump .  Bumpers are a big no-no.  We used a fitted crib sheet, a swaddle/sleep sack, and a sheet saver (thin strip across so that if baby spits up or pees through diaper, it doesn't require you to change the whole sheet).  When DS started moving around in his crib and getting stuck, we bought the breathable mesh bumpers.  I have heard of people using the decorative bumpers as protective rails around the top of the crib to prevent teething babies from chewing their cribs apart.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    @tova24 I agree with @bumpybump and @kristenk727 about no bumpers for a newborn, but actually had my mom make me some once D S was moving around more and getting limbs stuck in the rails. (our crib is actually my old crib refinished, so maybe this is a non issue these days)
  • Does anyone have the Nuna Mixx 2 stroller? Have a question about the recline, not sure if something's wrong with mine...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think I bought everything I could physically possibly buy but I do have a quick question: my pediatrician recommends sponge baths for when the umbilical cord stump is still there. Did anyone buy one of those moldable bathtubs that fit in the sink (looks like a flower)? Or do you just lay baby down on bed, changing table, hold in arms and just use a washcloth? 
  • @tova24 I bought the Puj travel tub (called Flyte) when it was on sale for when we visit our families at Christmas but am planning to use this for sponge baths (https://www.amazon.com/Puj-Flyte-Compact-Bathtub-Sink/dp/B01H4C8PE4). We also bought this when it was on sale for regular baths and plan to just put it in our bathtub (https://www.amazon.com/Boon-Naked-Collapsible-Bathtub-Green/dp/B005VLXJV0). It has an infant setting that supports the baby's head a little more. Something like that could be used for a sponge bath just on the table, though, if you thought you'd use it for baths later, too. If the price wasn't so good on both of them, I wouldn't have bought the Flyte.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @tova24 when we did sponge baths with DS, I brought his changing pad in the kitchen and put it on the kitchen counter with a towel over it. I had one basin of water with baby soap and one with clean water (washcloth in each). I would wash his hair and face first while he was still dressed, do his body and limbs while he was still in a diaper, and then quickly clean his bottom before he peed everywhere.  We've redone our kitchen since and have a huge sink now so I went with this for baths once his cord falls off, though it may work beforehand as well. 

Angelcare Bath Support, Aqua https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VWVS14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2urGzbFQ02Y5K
  • Mango517Mango517 member
    edited August 2017
    @SouthernMama15 Thank you for that sponge bath description, it was honestly really helpful for me to hear... I mean read  :)

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 my mama taught me or I would've been lost 
  • @kvh22 @SouthernMama15 thank you so much! I'm like getting nervous about the sponge baths! I might do the changing table option! 
  • FTM but I got the Angelcare Bath Support as well and am excited to use it in our farm sink! 
  • Don't stress too much over the baths. Newborns don't get very dirty so you will probably only need to give two or three before the cord falls off. 
  • I bought the head to toe wipes, mainly for the heck folds in between baths. But in all honesty, newborns wont require a lot of bathing. My pediatrician recommends one per week along with wiping down hot spots regularly. Their skin is so sensitive at that time so less is definitely more. 
  • Being a TTM, I have a bunch of stuff already from my other 2.  We replaced a few things like the infant car seat and a snap n go stroller frame.  My mom's big group of friends like to chip in and get a large gift whenever a baby is born.  My mom is bothering me about giving her ideas to pass along to her friends.  I guess they keep asking her what they can get.

While I appreciate their generosity, I feel like we don't need anything.  Eventually we'll have to get convertible car seats because our other ones expired, but that won't be for a while.  The only thing I can think of is the Halo bassinest, but this is our last baby, we have a pack and play (neither of my kids liked that though) and it doesn't seem like it would last that long.  I'm not sure it's really worth it though I will be recovering from a c-section, plan to room share and will be BFing.  Are there any other larger items that are nice to have?  We already have a swing, bouncer, strollers, exersaucer and jumparoo.
  • @MetsGirl18 I'm currently recovering from a c section and my Halo is saving me! Also, a Rock n Play! 
  • @MetsGirl18 we registered for and received a convertible car seat, knowing we won't need it for a while. BRU lets you return things from registry for 1 year, so maybe pick one out and let them buy it and you can always return it or exchange it later if you find another kind you like better?

im not sure the etiquette of asking for a gift card. My work ask what I still needed and I said nothing but they still pooled together and got a big gift card. You could ask for an Amazon one that way it works for anything you need and you can get it shipped quickly.
  • @Kaityrj Thanks!  Maybe I'll just add the seat since I'll definitely get use out of it eventually.