June 2016 Moms
Options

The Battle of the Sippy Cup

2»

Re: The Battle of the Sippy Cup

• Options
    We've tried a few different sip cups and straw cups, and S seems to do the best with the least fancy cups, the ones that come like five to a pack. I just bought a munchkin straw cup that I was really excited about, and it works okay, but I think he gets a little annoyed with how slowly the liquid comes through. Really, he just prefers to drink out of whatever glass or straw I am using. 
  • Options
    Madelyn refuses a cup of any kind. She will chew on a sippy cup and bang it on the table so water/milk sprays everywhere but she won't drink from it. Our pedi didn't seem too concerned, but I'd really like to not have to clean a million bottle parts anymore.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This isn't necessarily a sippy cup question, but is anyone else having trouble getting LO to drink anything besides milk? At first I was putting water in a sippy cup, then juice, then I put both of those in a bottle, but she just refuses it. So even if she's hot and sweaty she will only drink milk (and only out of a bottle, but that's a separate issue).
     With the days heating up, I'm worried about dehydration but not sure what to do?
  • Options
    @Lizbeth86 It took Damien awhile (like a couple of months) to get comfortable drinking something other than milk. We initially only offered water and juice (mixed with water) in his sippy cups so I think he always associated his bottle with milk and juice and water with his cups. It took a lot of, "Here, just have a sip," moments in which he would do just that and then refuse to drink any more from the cup. We left sippy cups with water laying around the condo too so in between offering it periodically, it was always around for him to play with and eventually he just randomly started drinking from it. I then added cow's milk to the equation and he was okay with that in his cups too. I was really worried we'd never get to where we are now but it just took a lot longer than I anticipated. 
  • Options
    @Lizbeth86. We had the opposite problem. Lol. Ethan drank water out of his sippy cup like a champ since about 5-6 months. Getting him to drink milk (he hasn't had juice yet) out of the sippy cup was a huge struggle. We started off with a slow transition (bottle in the morning, sippy cup during the day, bottle at night) but last week we decided to go cold turkey. We packed all the bottles away and now he just uses the sippy cup. We tried tons of sippy cups and ended up just buying 3 of the same cup he's always had the water in (Dr browns). 
  • Options
    Thank you @vintagevix2016 and @laurendiaz02! I thought putting the water or juice in the sippy cup was asking too much (getting used to 2 new things at once). But it sounds like we should just keep trying.
    I couldn't believe how quickly I caved on the juice too. I wanted to do water only, then watered down juice, then I just gave up and offered her full on sugared up juice in desperation! But it didn't matter anyway. We'll keep at it with just water, thanks!
  • Options
    Lizbeth86 said:
    Thank you @vintagevix2016 and @laurendiaz02! I thought putting the water or juice in the sippy cup was asking too much (getting used to 2 new things at once). But it sounds like we should just keep trying.
    I couldn't believe how quickly I caved on the juice too. I wanted to do water only, then watered down juice, then I just gave up and offered her full on sugared up juice in desperation! But it didn't matter anyway. We'll keep at it with just water, thanks!
    Desperate times call for desperate measures, I know that all too well. I found a good juice company up here that does just straight fruit juice (selection isn't huge, but that's okay), nothing added to it whatsoever. Do you know if anything like that might be available in your area? Still has natural sugar but I feel less guilty about giving it to Damien. I was really hesitant to give Damien the sippy cup with water and juice at first two since I didn't want him to be overwhelmed with too many "new" things but he did okay with it. 
  • Options
    Ever since we dropped Damien's morning bottle, our mornings have been so awful. He wakes up screaming and crying and it doesn't stop for at least 30-45mins. During that time he will eat his breakfast and eventually drink some milk from his cup but man oh man, he is not happy. He's full-time on the sippy cup and the rest of the day is just fine. I'm not that much of a morning person so this really doesn't help matters, plus my husband isn't awake yet to help out so I'm flying solo.
  • Options
    Welp, we were able to finally mix the bottles right at 1 year. Being that my LO hated the sippy cup, we fully expected a struggle. Nope. Loves his "titi" which is the Take and Toss sippy cups. He immediately transitioned well and fully transitioned to cows milk.
    he will NOT drink juice. We've tried. He will drink some water but no juice at all.