June 2016 Moms

The Battle of the Sippy Cup

Hi moms!

My son is 10 months and 1 week and we're trying to incorporate the sippy cup into his routine. Although he's not TOO attached to the bottle, he doesn't seem to take the formula TOO well out of the sippy cup we're trying (Avent soft spout). He becomes so hungry that he drinks maybe 1-2 oz then plays with it or flips it upside down. This sucks because then his outfit gets spots or the bouncy seat at the daycare. When I take the cup away to feed him myself, he cries and wont drink. Sometimes I have to distract him with toys and such just to get him to drink 3-4 oz of milk, then give the other 3 in his bottle. 

I personally think he's lazy. We bought a Tommee Tippee sippy cup and that has a tiny hole that you really have to suck to pull liquid. He hated that one worse and cried even when I showed it to him. 

I am determined to get him off the bottle by age 1.
How's it going for all you ladies?

Re: The Battle of the Sippy Cup

• I haven't really tried with him. My girls really liked a cup called "recycle play" I have seen them at King soopers and Walmart. The spout is rubber and closely resembles a nipple. I will try to find a pic.
  • Loading the player...
  • We introduced a straw sippy cup that Jackie likes. She hasn't drank anything but water from it but after an initial learning period, she loves it now. We use the munchkin straw cup with weighted straw. I like it because all the pieces come apart and go in the dishwasher, so there's nowhere for mold to hide (yet anyway). We did have to help teach her to use a straw first because the no spill straw requires a pretty strong sucking motion, but she does it just fine now.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I ended up buying what I call cup condoms with straws. They are from boon. They for well over most cups and 6 oz ball jars. While I haven't tried formula she drinks water and keifer this way successfully.  They also make them in sippy cup form. 
  • meggyme said:
    We introduced a straw sippy cup that Jackie likes. She hasn't drank anything but water from it but after an initial learning period, she loves it now. We use the munchkin straw cup with weighted straw. I like it because all the pieces come apart and go in the dishwasher, so there's nowhere for mold to hide (yet anyway). We did have to help teach her to use a straw first because the no spill straw requires a pretty strong sucking motion, but she does it just fine now.
    We ended up trying that as well and Damien loves it. He is also just drinking water from him but eventually we wil migrate to formula in it and then once he is 1, cow's milk. The ped mentioned that the sooner we could get him used to a sippy cup and drinking milk from it, the easier it would be to transition to cow's milk...at least that's what she claimed haha.
  • meggyme said:
    We introduced a straw sippy cup that Jackie likes. She hasn't drank anything but water from it but after an initial learning period, she loves it now. We use the munchkin straw cup with weighted straw. I like it because all the pieces come apart and go in the dishwasher, so there's nowhere for mold to hide (yet anyway). We did have to help teach her to use a straw first because the no spill straw requires a pretty strong sucking motion, but she does it just fine now.
    We got one of the Munchkin weighted straw cups to try.  I'm not sure how it's going to proceed at this point though.  She has found that she can flick the straw out of her mouth and it splashes.  It is spill proof but definitely not mess proof lol.  Any suggestions?  We've also tried other cups, she does good with water but won't drink her formula from them yet.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• After trying all the damn sippy cups, Savannah now drinks water from a cup with a straw. Haven't done milk yet because I don't have the heart to risk wasting breast milk.

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • meggyme said:
    We got one of the Munchkin weighted straw cups to try.  I'm not sure how it's going to proceed at this point though.  She has found that she can flick the straw out of her mouth and it splashes.  It is spill proof but definitely not mess proof lol.  Any suggestions?  We've also tried other cups, she does good with water but won't drink her formula from them yet.

Jackie does that too. She gets it in her mouth by basically wiping the straw around her face until it finds her open mouth. I'm afraid it's going to go up her nose one day. She does also fling the water. But any cup is going to have some sort of mess even if it's kids drinking from it perfectly normal and then letting it run down their chin (another Jackie-ism).

To teach her we used regular restaurant straws and would fill it and put our finger on the end to hold the water in. Then let her suck on it and when you feel suction move your finger and let the water flow out. Then I filled a cup up really full (so the straw was mostly full) and let her suck on that until she could drink from a regular straw. Then once she knew what to do with a straw we basically did the same thing with the no spill straw. I would also kind of press on the spot where the valve is to help open it some.

In addition to them being good sippy cups I also just think that drinking from a straw is a useful skill for them to have.
  • We got a Nuby that has more of a nipple. It also has an extra nipple that is more like a sippy cup that we are going to use once she is very familiar with the sippy cup. She has hated any other sippy cup we have tried
  • We have ALL the sippy cups and only 3 of them she's figured out. Munchkin weighted straw, a Nuby weighted straw and a nuk regular straw sippy cup. However, I also have a 360 cup, the nuby @cdmkruger mentioned, along with a couple others.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We settled on some Avent sippy cups https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SCF553_25/avent-spout-cup and he will use them 100%. We're thinking of purchasing more of these, since we only bought two. We tried the ones with handles and he hates the handles. He already holds his own bottle. 
    I want to push him to the 360 one, but the daycare thinks we should stick with these for a few months first.
  • So today day care sent a note home asking me to send a "milk cup" bc Monday they will starts working on transition from bottle.  I already send a Tommy tippee straw cup for his water, that he can use very well.  Should I send a different type cup or just start "color coding" the same kind of cup?  
  • So today day care sent a note home asking me to send a "milk cup" bc Monday they will starts working on transition from bottle.  I already send a Tommy tippee straw cup for his water, that he can use very well.  Should I send a different type cup or just start "color coding" the same kind of cup?  
    That seems strange they wouldn't use the same cup... I have zero experience with daycare so maybe that's the norm???
    I would color code.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lol
  • We will not be using straw cups with milk or formula because they're a PITA to clean out thoroughly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited May 2017
    Alyssa is drinking formula from her sippy cup when she started using her sippy she was drinking it 8 ounces 3 times a day but now she's only taking 8 ounces twice a day and drinks water in between meals. I'm worried she's not drinking enough formula and it's getting hot here in NC I don't want her to get dehydrated but I know they can't drink too much water. How much water do you ladies offer your babies? Opinions on starting cows milk early? She will be 11 months May 9th. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Alyssa is drinking formula from her sippy cup when she started using her sippy she was drinking it 8 ounces 3 times a day but now she's only taking 8 ounces twice a day and drinks water in between meals. I'm worried she's not drinking enough formula and it's getting hot here in NC I don't want her to get dehydrated but I know they can't drink too much water. How much water do you ladies offer your babies? Opinions on starting cows milk early? She will be 11 months May 9th. 
    Damien's formula intake drastically decreased the past month (he was sick and transitioning to daycare) some days he barely had more than a few oz. He wouldn't drink water either. Our pediatrician recommended offering liquids every 10min and at that point she didn't restrict what kind of liquids he should have since she just wanted him to drink. We tried super watered down 100% juice. He only drank an oz or two of it but it was better than nothing. We were surprised that by the 4th week he wasn't dehydrated, we were so worried. I would talk to your ped to see what he/she thinks. The ped could tell you whether to start cow's milk early.
  • Okay thanks for the input. I definitely plan on calling first thing tomorrow morning. Alyssa drinks water just fine I just don't know how much she is allowed to drink because I always heard that infants can only drink a few ounces of water per day right now we give her 3 ounces of water 3 times a day so she gets 9 ounces of water. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• @Jerseygirl9090 when our LO was only 9 months and we were struggling to get her to take formula, our pediatrician said it's okay to give her a bottle of cow's milk once every few days. We did it once or twice but then she got used to formula so we didn't need it anymore.
  • How is everyone doing with the transition? Are there any kiddos that are super close to being on a sippy cup full-time yet? Damien can drink from his without issue but he only seem to want to drink his water from it, a few sips here and a few sips there.
  • How is everyone doing with the transition? Are there any kiddos that are super close to being on a sippy cup full-time yet? Damien can drink from his without issue but he only seem to want to drink his water from it, a few sips here and a few sips there.
    Miles will drink water like crazy from his, but if I try putting breast milk or formula in it he throws it away all confused. I'll tell him it's milk and do the sign for milk, and try to give it back, but that just results in him either pulling on my shirt or pointing to the cabinets where the bottles are stored. I got other sippy cups in the same style but different colors, and different styles, all the same result.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • meggymemeggyme member
    How is everyone doing with the transition? Are there any kiddos that are super close to being on a sippy cup full-time yet? Damien can drink from his without issue but he only seem to want to drink his water from it, a few sips here and a few sips there.
    Jackie has been doing great with her sippy cup, but I honestly haven't tried anything besides water in it. She drinks her milk from bottles at daycare, and I've started contemplating how to wean her to cows milk during the day so I can stop pumping at work. Something about milk in a straw sippy cup seems hard to clean. Maybe I'll try one of the 360 cups for milk.
  • I tried putting formula in a sippy cup for Charlotte and she looked at me like I was crazy. She took a sip but then pointed to a clean bottle. My boys used bottles till 18 months, they had no desire to drink milk out of anything other then a bottle. I had to cut them both cold turkey and it sucked. Charlotte has never been a big drinker so I'm hoping it'll be easier with her. I also think that since we'll go from soy formula to almond milk it's big enough of a difference she might be okay with it. Fingers crossed.
  • Ethan will drink water all day from the sippy cup, but like most of you mentioned, as soon as I put formula he takes one sip and is confused that it's not water and won't really drink it. We've tried to make his daytime bottles in the sippy cup and only give him the bottle right before bedtime but he plays with the cup more the gen he drinks it so it takes forever. I usually get frustrated and put the formula in a bottle. This is going to be a hard transition. Lol. 
  • edited May 2017
    How is everyone doing with the transition? Are there any kiddos that are super close to being on a sippy cup full-time yet? Damien can drink from his without issue but he only seem to want to drink his water from it, a few sips here and a few sips there.
    Levi only takes a bottle when he first wakes up in the morning and last at night.  He drinks water from a strawed cup and formula from a Gerber sippy labled for 9+m.  He did better with those for the formula.  I tried the rimless, and he does ok with water but no to formula.
  • Damien finally drank a bit of formula from his straw sippy cup yesterday when I picked him up from daycare. Yay! It's a start. He only had sips on the way home but better than nothing. 
  • Alyssa is drinking formula out of just her sippy cup now she's completely off the bottle. The only cup she will drink formula from is the 9 ounce nubby cup with handles. She drinks water out of any cup but formula only out of a certain cup so I'm trying to get her to take formula from differently cups.
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Alyssa is drinking formula out of just her sippy cup now she's completely off the bottle. The only cup she will drink formula from is the 9 ounce nubby cup with handles. She drinks water out of any cup but formula only out of a certain cup so I'm trying to get her to take formula from differently cups.
    That's awesome! It must be a relief to not have to worry about bottles anymore. Any tips for those of us still in the trenches? 
  • edited May 2017
    I literally tried every single cup with formula lol and finally one day I bought this cup put formula in it and she drank all 8 ounces she is down to 8 ounces three times a day morning afternoon and night other then that she eats a lot of food. I think you just need to find the right cup. This one has a nipple similar to bottles I think that's why she takes it.  
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• lm45678lm45678 member
    I'm not even attempting milk in a sippy cup yet since I plan to BF until 1 and refuse to let my hard earned milk wind up the floor. I have a feeling that at 1 it's going to be a very hard transition, I also need to take away pacis...  :#
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • My son is fully on the sippy cup, but the spout is soft like the bottle nipple. He will only take formula there, wont drink water or juice. He also hates sippy cups with handles, as he insists on holding the bottle on his own.
  • We have a long weekend at the moment so I wanted to really work on transitioning to the sippy cup. It's difficult because at the times when he would usually drink from his bottle, I'm giving him his cup, and he know how to drink from it but gets frustrated because the milk doesn't come out the same way/speed. I just have to be patient.
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    Cameron will crawl around and pick up/ drink out of the girls sippy cups now. Man does that make them furious!
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    We have a long weekend at the moment so I wanted to really work on transitioning to the sippy cup. It's difficult because at the times when he would usually drink from his bottle, I'm giving him his cup, and he know how to drink from it but gets frustrated because the milk doesn't come out the same way/speed. I just have to be patient.
    The evenflo baby trainers we have have a good sized hole. Maybe he needs an easier cup to start with?
  • My Dad brought up that the reason Damien may not like drinking his formula from the straw sippy cup because we use a thickened formula and not as much gets through the straw as a result. That would explain why he has no issue with water in the cup. I tried giving him a little cow's milk in it and it's going very well.
  • Question for those of you using the Munchkin weighted straw sippy cup. We've noticed that it leaks whenever we put cow's milk in it. It just seeps up out of the straw no matter what we do. It doesn't do it with water or formula so we aren't sure what's happening. Any ideas?
  • Question for those of you using the Munchkin weighted straw sippy cup. We've noticed that it leaks whenever we put cow's milk in it. It just seeps up out of the straw no matter what we do. It doesn't do it with water or formula so we aren't sure what's happening. Any ideas?
    If it's cold as the liquid warms the pressure difference causes it to move up the straw. Ours does this with cold water. If you don't close the top then it seeps up and out. It's kind of an inherent problem with the straw cups. So far I've used the munchkin 360 for milk, but mostly because LO sucks on the straw and then let's it run out her mouth and down her face.
  • meggyme said:
    Question for those of you using the Munchkin weighted straw sippy cup. We've noticed that it leaks whenever we put cow's milk in it. It just seeps up out of the straw no matter what we do. It doesn't do it with water or formula so we aren't sure what's happening. Any ideas?
    If it's cold as the liquid warms the pressure difference causes it to move up the straw. Ours does this with cold water. If you don't close the top then it seeps up and out. It's kind of an inherent problem with the straw cups. So far I've used the munchkin 360 for milk, but mostly because LO sucks on the straw and then let's it run out her mouth and down her face.
    I must have fallen asleep in science class during that lesson haha, that makes sense! Thanks for the info.
  • We bought a Nuby Clik-It FlipN'Sip Cup with the weighted straw for grins and giggle and Dmien seems to do better with it than the Munchkin weighted straw cup. I think it has to do with where the valve is in the straw. The whole is a little bigger too and that helps too.