June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

1121314151618»

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• I'm at a different school today and this is the "pumping room". This is disgraceful!! I'm so thankful for my office at my normal school!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I'm at a different school today and this is the "pumping room". This is disgraceful!! I'm so thankful for my office at my normal school!
    Wow...
  • Loading the player...
    Well that's....interesting...yikes! Not exactly the most welcoming environment to pump.
  • Yeah it's insane! It makes me so grateful for the setup in my office, but the poor women here! 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    I'm not even sure that's legal... I know it's a school and space/funds are limited, but that's sad. I guess if it's only temporary for you, that sucks but you can deal. For the regular women there, I would be asking for more. Yikes
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
    All I can say is "F No!". That is deplorable and in no way sanitary.  I can't believe that we as women still have to deal with BS like this.  Grrrrrrr!!!!  I'm so sorry you have to deal with this and for all the other women that have to as well.
    I'm not even sure that's legal... I know it's a school and space/funds are limited, but that's sad. I guess if it's only temporary for you, that sucks but you can deal. For the regular women there, I would be asking for more. Yikes
    It is definitely not legal! Lucky for me I only have to deal with this for a few days. If this were my permanent Serb up I would definitely be making a stink about it!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    It is definitely not legal! Lucky for me I only have to deal with this for a few days. If this were my permanent Serb up I would definitely be making a stink about it!

They are supposed to offer a room with a door that can be locked. I'd bring it up cause this isn't right.
  • laurenm2123- I am a little late to the post about supplementing with cows milk a few weeks early. I started cutting down on pumping sessions at about 11 months and my supply pretty much plummeted at that point. I had enough frozen milk to last a few weeks but knew I wouldnt make it to his first bday, June2, I felt EXACTLY how you do. My husband had to knock some sense into me, you made is SO FAR. It is something to be extremely proud of. Cows milk one week early is not going to hurt, and Jack took the transition so well! Don't be so hard on yourself :) 
  • Who is weaning and who is doing extended breastfeeding? What are your new goals?

I can't seem to decide. I like the idea of having my body back and getting more help from DH with feeding, but I'm too lazy to actually wean. And originally I was going to stop pumping, but I enjoy my built in breaks and being able to not worry about what I eat. I keep going back and forth.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    Who is weaning and who is doing extended breastfeeding? What are your new goals?

I can't seem to decide. I like the idea of having my body back and getting more help from DH with feeding, but I'm too lazy to actually wean. And originally I was going to stop pumping, but I enjoy my built in breaks and being able to not worry about what I eat. I keep going back and forth.
    I gave up the pumping because it was just taking up too much time in my day. I was having to take more work home to make up for the time it took to pump, and I'm not cool with that. As far as breastfeeding, I still offer in the evening and the rest of the time I leave it up to Miles. He's still very much interested, more interested than I am, but it's going to be a pain in the butt trying to wean him, so I let it go for now. I'm currently banking on maybe taste changes or supply drop off with a possible pregnancy in the next 6 months turning him off. If we're getting to the new year and he hasn't weaned himself for whatever reason, I may start pushing it then. We'll see
  • meggyme said:
    Who is weaning and who is doing extended breastfeeding? What are your new goals?
    I let my son self wean, and we nursed until the night before his third birthday, and I was four and a half months pregnant with the twins. I'm not sure if the twins and I will nurse until they're three or not because I'm definitely more touched out this time around, but it's still working for now. I see us going to at least their second birthday, but we'll revaluate then. I may feel differently then and continue until they're ready to wean, or I may be ready to be done. I have been pregnant, nursing, or both for the last five years and two months, but I'm also enjoying the benefit of not having to watch what I eat while nursing the twins.
  • meggyme said:

So I decided to wean right at a year for the most part. I was so over pumping, cleaning the parts, worrying about what I had to wear to get my boobs out, and having to BF around people. Most of my friends and family think it's time to stop at at year, and honestly I just don't feel like dealing with any comments on top of the actual nursing/pumping around the clock.

That being said, I love our nursing relationship and will continue to nurse at bedtime and first thing in the morning for awhile. I'm going to see how it goes, instead of setting a goal for myself this time around. I was so crazy about getting to 1 year EBF that I like being able to be laid back now and just see how the journey goes.

I should add that she's been sick recently so while we were totally on bottles of whole milk all day, she's been wanting boobs more. I've been nursing while home during the day just to keep her hydrated the last couple of days.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • My goal is to offer the breast at morning and nap wakes ups and bedtime till he's 2 (that's 3 times a day). Then the goal is to not offer and not refuse till he's 3 unless he he still nursing a ton by 2 1/2, then I'm gonna start restricting it a bit so that weaning by 3 won't be too hard on him.
  • I stopped pumping pretty much the day S turned 1. I had been down to one pump a day, and he was drinking breast milk from a cup at daycare, so the switch to cow's milk was pretty easy. We're in a don't offer, don't refuse pattern now, although if he asks for milk during the day I try to offer a cup first. I haven't really decided yet at what point I would fully wean. I'm kind of hoping he'll lose interest, but I think at some point we may have to push the transition away from bed time nursing. 
  • I hadn't really planned how to transition to cows milk, just a sort of see how it goes. He will take cows milk at nursery but not when I am around. I don't know whether to try and push the cows milk or just let him carry on breastfeeding? It's something I would be happy to do but the "are you *still* breastfeeding?" Comments are making me think I should crack on with cows milk. 

He is still waking once a night to nurse, should I offer water instead? I'm conflicted because he doesn't get that "society" thinks it's weird to carry on breastfeeding just because he's had his first birthday.

im not even sure what my question is here but any advice greatly received 
  • I'm still breastfeeding and plan to do a mixture, I think. I'm still pumping at work, but I don't stress the amount because I can always supplement with cow milk. And if LO seems hungry for an extra nursing, I'll usually offer a snack and a cup of milk instead. She still nurses to sleep at bed time and usually once between 5-7am before I go to work. On the weekends I tend to go back and forth between nursing and milk, depending on how lazy I feel (breastfeeding being the lazy, I don't want to get up, come lay on me and eat option). If anyone comments on it, I'll tell them it still works for us and I get to continue eating for two.
  • kay12321 said:
    I hadn't really planned how to transition to cows milk, just a sort of see how it goes. He will take cows milk at nursery but not when I am around. I don't know whether to try and push the cows milk or just let him carry on breastfeeding? It's something I would be happy to do but the "are you *still* breastfeeding?" Comments are making me think I should crack on with cows milk. 

He is still waking once a night to nurse, should I offer water instead? I'm conflicted because he doesn't get that "society" thinks it's weird to carry on breastfeeding just because he's had his first birthday.

I was told it's a bad idea to wean from breastfeeding of there is still a night feeding.  You have to not get wean first the. Wean the day after they've stopped waking up for about 2 weeks.  The best way to night wean is to time the feedings and depending on how long they are (for Preston it was only 5-10 min) you chip away at the time.  For example for us we reduced it by 45 seconds every two nights by the time it got down to 1-2 min he stopped waking up. If it's like 20-30 min then chop out like a minute or day or so.  The reason you want to do a slow wean is because they really can be hungry at that time.  Think about this.  If you wake up and have breakfast at 8 every day for months, then you skip breakfast you'll feel like you're starving. So you don't "need" those calo
  • kay12321 said:
    I hadn't really planned how to transition to cows milk, just a sort of see how it goes. He will take cows milk at nursery but not when I am around. I don't know whether to try and push the cows milk or just let him carry on breastfeeding? It's something I would be happy to do but the "are you *still* breastfeeding?" Comments are making me think I should crack on with cows milk. 

Yes to @meggyme. Also, society, psssshhh. But I totally get it. My mother actually looked a little shocked and asked if I was serious when I picked Miles up from her house after work two weeks ago and he started pulling on my shirt and signing for milk. I got a "wait, are you still nursing?" Seriously? She nursed 4 babies, and Miles had only turned 1 two weeks before that. Uggghhhhh.

I would say, if you get any more slack, remember that the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends nursing until age 2 at a minimum. My pediatrician actually gave me an "is that all?" when I told her that on work days I cut out the after work feed and only nurse morning and night now. She did say that only nursing that amount was fine, and let her LC know anytime I wanted to wean, but if I was comfortable she recommended continuing for awhile longer.

Basically, night wean slowly, and then do what you're comfortable with. I don't nurse in public anymore, I always offer a cup of something if we're out, but at home, I let Miles dictate, because anyone judging me in my own home needs a reality check
  • Thanks ladies, after a decent nights sleep I've decided society can just back off, my mum thinks it's so so weird to bf in the first place, let alone a *gasp* one year old. Good to know about the WHO guidelines.

i will try to start stopping the night feeding though as I'm so drained and will be doing as you suggested @adiaz132003 :smile:

honestly I've only ever nursed in public twice (cheers anxiety) it's more when it comes up in conversation. Also didn't realise how much people would want to talk about my boobs once I'd had a child. 
  • @kay12321 I also noticed that people just want me to make my own life easier, so they feel the need to tell me things I can start or stop doing now. I don't think people realize that breastfeeding is really not this big labor of love once you're in the groove, it can actually be easier like @meggyme said.

I'm not BFing anymore but sometimes I've vaguely said that I still am a little bit, to explain why i'm not drinking (I haven't yet told people I'm pregnant again). So then I get the comments you're hearing about how I can stop now, but not in a bad way. It cracks me up that people are so anxious for me to be able to drink alcohol again. Unfortunately that's a long way off now!
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    @kay12321 I also noticed that people just want me to make my own life easier, so they feel the need to tell me things I can start or stop doing now. I don't think people realize that breastfeeding is really not this big labor of love once you're in the groove, it can actually be easier like @meggyme said.

I'm not BFing anymore but sometimes I've vaguely said that I still am a little bit, to explain why i'm not drinking (I haven't yet told people I'm pregnant again). So then I get the comments you're hearing about how I can stop now, but not in a bad way. It cracks me up that people are so anxious for me to be able to drink alcohol again. Unfortunately that's a long way off now!
    Does it make me a bad person that I've been drinking alcohol again since Miles was 6 weeks old? I always made sure I had 90 minutes+ between popping my beer and the next feeding, buuuuuuttttt I feel like parenting requires alcohol some (many) days
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    @kay12321 I also noticed that people just want me to make my own life easier, so they feel the need to tell me things I can start or stop doing now. I don't think people realize that breastfeeding is really not this big labor of love once you're in the groove, it can actually be easier like @meggyme said.

Does it make me a bad person that I've been drinking alcohol again since Miles was 6 weeks old? I always made sure I had 90 minutes+ between popping my beer and the next feeding, buuuuuuttttt I feel like parenting requires alcohol some (many) days
    Me too. I don't remember when I started drinking again, but some days definitely call for it. Now that Jackie sleeps most the night, being able to have a couple drinks at night is glorious!
  • Yup, been drinking the whole time too.
  • adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited July 2017
    Ditto on boozin'.  If anything I needed one tonight. (See venting thread)
  • I should clarify, it's not like I never drank while BFing, but LO was a frequent, unpredictable nurser who wouldn't drink from a bottle, so I could never really have more than one drink at a time. This made my tolerance so low that even after she took the bottle, I just didn't get back in the habit of enjoying a few drinks.

Now being pregnant, I just use BFing as a fake excuse for not drinking lol
  • Has anyone's LO self weaned off the boob yet? We've just had a very strange experience and I feel like this may be the beginning of the end and I don't know how I feel about it :confused:
  • kay12321 said:
    Has anyone's LO self weaned off the boob yet? We've just had a very strange experience and I feel like this may be the beginning of the end and I don't know how I feel about it :confused:
    My daughter self weaned her night feeding over our vacation- she's now nursing only in the morning. I've decided that I'm ready to be done, now that I'm going back to work this week. I'm going to wake up with her one day this week and instead of feeding her in bed half asleep really sit with her in the rocker with no phones or distractions and have that be her last nursing session. I've asked DH to take a couple of pictures to have as a keepsake and so that we will both have a fond memory of our last nursing session.

i feel really mixed about it, but my goal was 1 year and so the fact that we made it 14 months is great. Plus I'm pretty sure she's getting next to nothing anyway.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • kay12321 said:
    Has anyone's LO self weaned off the boob yet? We've just had a very strange experience and I feel like this may be the beginning of the end and I don't know how I feel about it :confused:
    My daughter self weaned her night feeding over our vacation- she's now nursing only in the morning. I've decided that I'm ready to be done, now that I'm going back to work this week. I'm going to wake up with her one day this week and instead of feeding her in bed half asleep really sit with her in the rocker with no phones or distractions and have that be her last nursing session. I've asked DH to take a couple of pictures to have as a keepsake and so that we will both have a fond memory of our last nursing session.

i feel really mixed about it, but my goal was 1 year and so the fact that we made it 14 months is great. Plus I'm pretty sure she's getting next to nothing anyway.
    I love that idea!!
  • kay12321 said:

That sounds lovely, good idea. I think it's just a comfort thing now with us and on one hand I'm glad but on the other I'm a bit sad how fast he's growing in to a little boy rather than my baby.
  • kay12321 said:
    kay12321 said:

That sounds lovely, good idea. I think it's just a comfort thing now with us and on one hand I'm glad but on the other I'm a bit sad how fast he's growing in to a little boy rather than my baby.
    Yeah I somehow want to make our last nursing session special.

Between her "moving up" to the next class in daycare, stopping nursing and my period I am a hormonal wreck this week!! I am in such denial of that fact that she is no longer my little baby
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • So today I nursed Savannah for the last time- I feel so lucky that I knew it was the last time and could enjoy every moment of it. DH took some pictures of us, and you can definitely see the bond between us in the pictures. It was very emotional, but I'm holding up better than I thought I would be today.

Our babies are getting too big!!! :'(
    Good Job, mama!! I know its SO hard, but I'm so happy you got a chance to take in your last time! I didn't know when my last time was and I don't even remember it :(

• So today I nursed Savannah for the last time- I feel so lucky that I knew it was the last time and could enjoy every moment of it. DH took some pictures of us, and you can definitely see the bond between us in the pictures. It was very emotional, but I'm holding up better than I thought I would be today.

Our babies are getting too big!!! :'(
    Congrats on finishing up such a journey, and good for you for being mindful and savoring the last moments of it! Just reading your description makes me a little emotional. 
  • Ugh, my supply is starting to drop. At least when I pump lately. I was getting about 7oz from 2 sessions. Lately I'm lucky if I get 5. I might consider weaning after our trip to CA in a couple weeks...  :'(
  • meggyme said:
    Ugh, my supply is starting to drop. At least when I pump lately. I was getting about 7oz from 2 sessions. Lately I'm lucky if I get 5. I might consider weaning after our trip to CA in a couple weeks...  :'(
    I'm sorry! That's what happened to me near the end. We went a couple months of just nursing 2-3 times a day and supplementing with cows milk. It's so bittersweet when it ends.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Omg... someone at work has a breast pump that beeps incessantly while it pumps. It is the most obnoxious thing ever. I really want to ask what type it is so I can complain to the manufacturer.