Breastfeeding Support - Page 16 — The Bump
June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

11213141618

Re: Breastfeeding Support

  • lac1252 said:
    I think I may wind up nursing longer than a year, maybe just morning and night? I agree about being done pumping at 1 though, I can't wait! I never thought I would want to go longer than a year, but it's so special I can't imagine stopping so soon. I guess I will try to follow Savannah's lead.

    I also worry that she may stop wanting to nurse after this 5 day trip to Paris when she's 11 months. I seriously hope that's not the case though, I would be devastated! Although @lac1252's recent trip gives me hope!
    I totally agree about finding the feedings to be so special now. I completely hate pumping but I'm also starting to consider morning and night feedings after a year. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

    I hope you have the same experience I did when traveling but if not, that's ok too. I totally prepared myself for the possibility that I might not be able to still nurse Charlotte once I got back. What we've been doing these last 9 months is so hard, and it really is ok no matter when we have to stop nursing our babies.

    Also, sorry for being MIA for awhile. Work has been incredibly stressful lately and there have been so many changes at my company that I've been looking for a new job and I got an offer last week and resigned from my company! I'm so excited for the new job and bc it means I will get the next 2 weeks off and more time with Charlotte before starting!
    That's great! Congrats on the new job!
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
    lac1252
  • Ok ladies, need some anecdotal advice... I started a whole 30 (basically no grains or sugar, I am still eating beans) because I need to reset my eating and I can't seem to eat grains without eating sugar.... So I cut them out on the first of this month. Now it seems like my milk supply is taking a hit! I am totally panicked about not being able to nurse as long as I'd like (was shooting for a year min).  I have tracked my calories and they are coming in around 1900 to 2100 and I have been drinking at least 80 oz of water a day. Other factors include thyroid issues and being pregnant again (12 weeks last Thursday, yay!).

    Just to add to my worry, I took Adi to the PED on Friday for a possible ear infection (which was nothing) and she hasn't gained any weight since January. They scheduled us for a weight check in two weeks. When I asked them what I could do differently thy had no suggestions, just to come back in two weeks and "hopefully" it'll be remedied. WTH! Give me something to work with guys!! This last month has been rough health wise, she has a cold now and had reseola earlier in Feb. She was already in the 11th percentile for weight, so she doesn't have much to spare (although she looks happy, had pudge on her cheeks and belly) and I can tell she is hungry during the day. I am a sahm and offer the breast whenever she asks/demands it. It breaks my heart to see her try and suckle and not get as much as she'd like. 

    I also started pumping in prep for returning to work in the spring and I can't even get an ounce out of each side. So stressful.... So I guess I am looking for some advice about what to do. I want to eat healthy and have no self control. I have had luck with whole 30 in the past (this is my 5th one) and love it as a diet reset because I am a huge sugar addict.  I don't want to have to pick between feeding my outside baby and compromising nourishment to my inside baby (bc I gained a lot during first preg and I can't afford do that this time, not to mention is love my body back).  Sometimes I feel like I can't win. 

    Things I will try this week: adding more potatoes and sweet potatoes to up my carb intake, and adding more oily fish like salmon to the mix. 

    Thanks for listening and Tia for any advice. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that when adding a pumping session on top of regular feedings it can take a couple days for your body to realize what you need. It might take a couple days of little to no production to start seeing results.

    As for grains, are there other galactogues like oats you could add? Maybe some of the mothers teas. Also, 2200 is around the amount I would eat for breastfeeding, but you're breastfeeding AND pregnant, so realistically you're feeding 3 humans. Maybe see if you can find a local La Leche League to help you out.
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
    khenry12
  • khenry12 said:
    Ok ladies, need some anecdotal advice... I started a whole 30 (basically no grains or sugar, I am still eating beans) because I need to reset my eating and I can't seem to eat grains without eating sugar.... So I cut them out on the first of this month. Now it seems like my milk supply is taking a hit! I am totally panicked about not being able to nurse as long as I'd like (was shooting for a year min).  I have tracked my calories and they are coming in around 1900 to 2100 and I have been drinking at least 80 oz of water a day. Other factors include thyroid issues and being pregnant again (12 weeks last Thursday, yay!).

    Just to add to my worry, I took Adi to the PED on Friday for a possible ear infection (which was nothing) and she hasn't gained any weight since January. They scheduled us for a weight check in two weeks. When I asked them what I could do differently thy had no suggestions, just to come back in two weeks and "hopefully" it'll be remedied. WTH! Give me something to work with guys!! This last month has been rough health wise, she has a cold now and had reseola earlier in Feb. She was already in the 11th percentile for weight, so she doesn't have much to spare (although she looks happy, had pudge on her cheeks and belly) and I can tell she is hungry during the day. I am a sahm and offer the breast whenever she asks/demands it. It breaks my heart to see her try and suckle and not get as much as she'd like. 

    I also started pumping in prep for returning to work in the spring and I can't even get an ounce out of each side. So stressful.... So I guess I am looking for some advice about what to do. I want to eat healthy and have no self control. I have had luck with whole 30 in the past (this is my 5th one) and love it as a diet reset because I am a huge sugar addict.  I don't want to have to pick between feeding my outside baby and compromising nourishment to my inside baby (bc I gained a lot during first preg and I can't afford do that this time, not to mention is love my body back).  Sometimes I feel like I can't win. 

    Things I will try this week: adding more potatoes and sweet potatoes to up my carb intake, and adding more oily fish like salmon to the mix. 

    Thanks for listening and Tia for any advice. 
    I agree with @meggyme that you're probably not eating enough. I understand wanting to be healthy again, but with growing a baby and breastfeeding at the same time you are going to have quite a big demand on your body. I think you can up you calorie intake while still making healthy choices so you will feel better and make more milk.

    Pregnancy can also cause your milk supply to drop. Before starting any of the usual supplements for increasing milk supply I would talk to your OB to make sure that they are okay for baby #2.

    Definitely try oatmeal or flax seed though, those seem to help me. Along with lots of water and making sure to take your PNV.

    I know for myself, as much as I would love to look & feel good I have resigned myself that I will not be dieting until Savannah is 1 and I am done breastfeeding. 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • khenry12 said:
    Ok ladies, need some anecdotal advice... I started a whole 30 (basically no grains or sugar, I am still eating beans) because I need to reset my eating and I can't seem to eat grains without eating sugar.... So I cut them out on the first of this month. Now it seems like my milk supply is taking a hit! I am totally panicked about not being able to nurse as long as I'd like (was shooting for a year min).  I have tracked my calories and they are coming in around 1900 to 2100 and I have been drinking at least 80 oz of water a day. Other factors include thyroid issues and being pregnant again (12 weeks last Thursday, yay!).

    Just to add to my worry, I took Adi to the PED on Friday for a possible ear infection (which was nothing) and she hasn't gained any weight since January. They scheduled us for a weight check in two weeks. When I asked them what I could do differently thy had no suggestions, just to come back in two weeks and "hopefully" it'll be remedied. WTH! Give me something to work with guys!! This last month has been rough health wise, she has a cold now and had reseola earlier in Feb. She was already in the 11th percentile for weight, so she doesn't have much to spare (although she looks happy, had pudge on her cheeks and belly) and I can tell she is hungry during the day. I am a sahm and offer the breast whenever she asks/demands it. It breaks my heart to see her try and suckle and not get as much as she'd like. 

    I also started pumping in prep for returning to work in the spring and I can't even get an ounce out of each side. So stressful.... So I guess I am looking for some advice about what to do. I want to eat healthy and have no self control. I have had luck with whole 30 in the past (this is my 5th one) and love it as a diet reset because I am a huge sugar addict.  I don't want to have to pick between feeding my outside baby and compromising nourishment to my inside baby (bc I gained a lot during first preg and I can't afford do that this time, not to mention is love my body back).  Sometimes I feel like I can't win. 

    Things I will try this week: adding more potatoes and sweet potatoes to up my carb intake, and adding more oily fish like salmon to the mix. 

    Thanks for listening and Tia for any advice. 
    I agree with @meggyme that you're probably not eating enough. I understand wanting to be healthy again, but with growing a baby and breastfeeding at the same time you are going to have quite a big demand on your body. I think you can up you calorie intake while still making healthy choices so you will feel better and make more milk.

    Pregnancy can also cause your milk supply to drop. Before starting any of the usual supplements for increasing milk supply I would talk to your OB to make sure that they are okay for baby #2.

    Definitely try oatmeal or flax seed though, those seem to help me. Along with lots of water and making sure to take your PNV.

    I know for myself, as much as I would love to look & feel good I have resigned myself that I will not be dieting until Savannah is 1 and I am done breastfeeding. 
    Agree with the pregnancy affecting milk supply. My MIL was pregnant with number 3 while number 2 was still nursing and number 2 did not like the changes in breasts  milk hormonally as well as the supply dropped. You can always breastfeed as well as offer a formula bottle as well so you can make sure that she gets enough calories, or talk to your dr and see what they reccomend for daily calorie intake for 3. I grew twins, I understand how taxing it can be to feed 3 : ).
    adiaz132003
  • Thanks ladies. I am terrified of gaining so much again with this pregnancy, I think that is getting in my head too much. I added oats in and called my Dr about fenugreek and mm tea. She was wetter this morning than yesterday so maybe it's helped a bit already. Trying to sustain three is harder than I imagined. Now it's all I think about.  I am also trying to get more calories in. And shooting for about 100 g of protein per day. 

    All we can do is our best, right?
    Tawny87lyoash31artlea2013
  • Well, as each day passes less and less milk comes. I am devastated. We were so close to a year and even thinking the word formula makes me feel like such a failure. I am so disappointed with my body. I spent most of yesterday sobbing because i am grieving the loss of our nursing relationship. But she's so hungry, I will have to do something else soon. I have got about 60 oz frozen left, then it seems we are done. Even giving her a bottle yesterday nearly sent me into a panic attack. 

    It is so hard to try and develop a connection to the baby in my belly because it took everything away from my outside baby. Nursing was how we spent our time. Now I have to figure out how to be her mama all over again. I had dreams of nursing her until she was done, now I have to try and dry nurse her and hope she doesn't get bored with the lack of milk. If I knew being pregnant would take everything away, i would have been more careful. Now the feeling of guilt and inadequacy  is clouding the bond with both of my babies. 

    I hope this feeling will pass, but right now it's the only thing I can think of from when I wake to when I sleep. I want my life back and I know it won't come. I am heartbroken. 
  • meggyme said:
    kay12321 said:
    meggyme said:
    kay12321 said:
    How long is everyone planning to breastfeed for? My plan has always been a year (at least being 100% done by the time I go back to work on September 1st).

    I find myself half so excited for it to be over, to not have to think about pumping, hopefully have my appetite decrease, etc. The other half of me is so sad that it's coming to an end soon.

    Anyone else?

    I was planning to bf until I went back to work (11 months) but as he won't take a bottle/cup/anything else I'm pretty much stuck until he's had enough of it. Who knows how he will get on at nursery if he won't take a bottle - any advice anyone? 

    Sometimes I feel excited to be able to do things on a whim by myself but I think I'll miss the bond.
    What have you tried so far. When we intro-ed the bottle to Jackie we had to do the bait and switch with a boob and more recently she learned how to drink from a straw, so she uses one of those style sippy cups for water.
    I don't know if you have an equivalent in the US but a magic munchkin 360 cup, a sippy cup, a doidy cup, a baby sized cup (looks a bit like a shot glass). Hadn't thought of a straw though I'll give that a whirl thank you kindly :smile:
    It takes a little training. I got a handful of straws and started filing them by holding my finger on the end and letting her suck on it before letting go. Once she figured out how to use a regular straw she was able to figure out the no spill straw on her munchkin straw cup. Jackie figured it out in a couple days.
    Well we finally had a breakthrough today. Thank you so much for all your help! 

    Quick question - as I've always just bf on demand I don't really know - how many oz per feed do your LOs take? And how many times a day? I have no idea :neutral:
  • khenry12 said:
    Well, as each day passes less and less milk comes. I am devastated. We were so close to a year and even thinking the word formula makes me feel like such a failure. I am so disappointed with my body. I spent most of yesterday sobbing because i am grieving the loss of our nursing relationship. But she's so hungry, I will have to do something else soon. I have got about 60 oz frozen left, then it seems we are done. Even giving her a bottle yesterday nearly sent me into a panic attack. 

    It is so hard to try and develop a connection to the baby in my belly because it took everything away from my outside baby. Nursing was how we spent our time. Now I have to figure out how to be her mama all over again. I had dreams of nursing her until she was done, now I have to try and dry nurse her and hope she doesn't get bored with the lack of milk. If I knew being pregnant would take everything away, i would have been more careful. Now the feeling of guilt and inadequacy  is clouding the bond with both of my babies. 

    I hope this feeling will pass, but right now it's the only thing I can think of from when I wake to when I sleep. I want my life back and I know it won't come. I am heartbroken. 
    I definitely won't be able to top @vintagevix2016's response but

    I am so sorry that you're struggling with this, I can only imagine how it feels. But here's the thing, you didn't give up. You got pregnant and your situation changed. You have done the best you could and given your little girl everything you had! Your relationship will continue to grow and change, and eventually all babies stop having that breastfeeding relationship anyway. You did amazing to get as far as you have!

    Who knows maybe stopping breastfeeding will help you feel better and you'll have more energy to really spend quality time with your LO. Maybe that will be the silver lining. 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    Tawny87
  • khenry12 said:
    Well, as each day passes less and less milk comes. I am devastated. We were so close to a year and even thinking the word formula makes me feel like such a failure. I am so disappointed with my body. I spent most of yesterday sobbing because i am grieving the loss of our nursing relationship. But she's so hungry, I will have to do something else soon. I have got about 60 oz frozen left, then it seems we are done. Even giving her a bottle yesterday nearly sent me into a panic attack. 

    It is so hard to try and develop a connection to the baby in my belly because it took everything away from my outside baby. Nursing was how we spent our time. Now I have to figure out how to be her mama all over again. I had dreams of nursing her until she was done, now I have to try and dry nurse her and hope she doesn't get bored with the lack of milk. If I knew being pregnant would take everything away, i would have been more careful. Now the feeling of guilt and inadequacy  is clouding the bond with both of my babies. 

    I hope this feeling will pass, but right now it's the only thing I can think of from when I wake to when I sleep. I want my life back and I know it won't come. I am heartbroken. 
    I'm sorry you are having a rough time, I never breast fed my children, due to a sensory issue on my part, but I did pump part time for my twins until 8 months. It was hard for me to accept when my milk dried up, but like what vintagevix said the bond never changed. This time around with my son I pumped for a month and was so depressed while I did so that i went to formula. I felt I was capable of being a better mom to my 3 kids by switching to formula instead of being attached to the pump all day. The bottom line is you are a great mom, you care about your child's happiness, just remember she will still bond with you snuggling and drinking a bottle, and that you have given her the best gift of all, a new brother or sister to grow a bond with.

    Sorry if this is a poorly written ramble, thinking and typing are hard when children are climbing on you lol!
    artlea2013
  • Anybody else find that their milk has a blue-ish tint to it, especially after it's been chilled and starting to seperate? Why does it look like that? Maybe I'm just crazy. I came up with this thought today and I am running a 102 degree fever, so maybe it's not blue at all
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Anybody else find that their milk has a blue-ish tint to it, especially after it's been chilled and starting to seperate? Why does it look like that? Maybe I'm just crazy. I came up with this thought today and I am running a 102 degree fever, so maybe it's not blue at all
    The color can change depending on baby's needs, but idk about blue.
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    Anybody else find that their milk has a blue-ish tint to it, especially after it's been chilled and starting to seperate? Why does it look like that? Maybe I'm just crazy. I came up with this thought today and I am running a 102 degree fever, so maybe it's not blue at all
    The color can change depending on baby's needs, but idk about blue.
     That blue color is the more watery foremilk that comes before the fat.  When I was losing weight and not eating, my milk would come out blueish for the first few ounces then a little fat would follow.  When I eat well for a few days, it's only the first ounce like that then the rest is creamy.  Look online at pictures of foremilk vs hindmilk and see if that's kinda what it looks like.  
  • meggyme said:
    Anybody else find that their milk has a blue-ish tint to it, especially after it's been chilled and starting to seperate? Why does it look like that? Maybe I'm just crazy. I came up with this thought today and I am running a 102 degree fever, so maybe it's not blue at all
    The color can change depending on baby's needs, but idk about blue.
     That blue color is the more watery foremilk that comes before the fat.  When I was losing weight and not eating, my milk would come out blueish for the first few ounces then a little fat would follow.  When I eat well for a few days, it's only the first ounce like that then the rest is creamy.  Look online at pictures of foremilk vs hindmilk and see if that's kinda what it looks like.  
    That makes sense. I have the flu right now and haven't really eaten much since Saturday
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
    adiaz132003
  • meggyme said:
    Anybody else find that their milk has a blue-ish tint to it, especially after it's been chilled and starting to seperate? Why does it look like that? Maybe I'm just crazy. I came up with this thought today and I am running a 102 degree fever, so maybe it's not blue at all
    The color can change depending on baby's needs, but idk about blue.
     That blue color is the more watery foremilk that comes before the fat.  When I was losing weight and not eating, my milk would come out blueish for the first few ounces then a little fat would follow.  When I eat well for a few days, it's only the first ounce like that then the rest is creamy.  Look online at pictures of foremilk vs hindmilk and see if that's kinda what it looks like.  
    Interesting. I guess I always just saw it as clear but a little cloudy.
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I've just started pumping on the regular now that he will actually take a bottle (yay!), but I feel super ill every time I pump. It's a cross between a feeling of travel sickness and low blood sugar. Does anyone else get this? I'm fine just nursing. I'm also eating like a horse I don't know how you ladies do it.

    I'm drinking 2.75l of water a day so it shouldn't be dehydration, anyone any ideas?
  • kay12321 said: 
    I've just started pumping on the regular now that he will actually take a bottle (yay!), but I feel super ill every time I pump. It's a cross between a feeling of travel sickness and low blood sugar. Does anyone else get this? I'm fine just nursing. I'm also eating like a horse I don't know how you ladies do it.

    I'm drinking 2.75l of water a day so it shouldn't be dehydration, anyone any ideas?
    I don't know the actual cause of this, but I have heard it is common enough and I have had it happen to me a few times.  I would say I experienced this more early on, but still get it now every great once in awhile.  I would attribute it to, pick any one or all, being overly tired, hungry, or thirsty.  Our bodies require so much to keep this milk production going.  My other theory would be that when you pump you are generally expressing both sides at once, so you may have a greater the of hormones at that time.  The hormone is similar to the pitocin the give when you are induced, and can make many women nauseous as well.  Again this is all theoretical.  Good luck to you!
  • Thank you! I feel reassured knowing others have experienced it. It seems to be alleviating a little now thankfully.
  • Went to see a LC because my supply is struggling to keep up with Savannah. She recommended the Spectra S2, so I got it off Amazon.

    Anyone have any experience with it? Any tips or tricks?
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Went to see a LC because my supply is struggling to keep up with Savannah. She recommended the Spectra S2, so I got it off Amazon.

    Anyone have any experience with it? Any tips or tricks?
    I love my spectra. It allowed me to build my supply while Calvin was in the NICU for 3 weeks. My NICU LC recommended switching to the let down mode every 5 minutes during pumping sessions. Otherwise I haven't done anything special and it has worked awesome.
  • Any mama's thinking about how they are going to slowly stop pumping/nursing when LO turns 1? I have a ton of frozen milk and have been exclusively pumping since 7 months so I'm counting down the days till its over. I'm thinking I'm going to start the process around 11 months. Any ideas on this? 
  • I haven't decided how long past 1 yr I want to go. I'll probably just play it by ear and slowly start cutting out feedings. I enjoy breastfeeding, but the side effects: low sex drive, leaky boobs, Jackie's dependence on me specifically for food/comfort can be annoying sometimes.
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I would probably go past one year if he was still nursing.. but only pumping is a pain in the ass. I've already cut out two sessions because I was making more than he was eating (and that meant I could sleep through the night without pumping) I'm just kind of dreading the whole process :(
  • I've been struggling a lot to keep my supply up for what she needs. I am really trying to make it to a year, but am worried that it will end sooner :'(

    I guess if we can make it then I will slowly start dropping feeding/pumping sessions until we're down to just morning and night nursing. From there I would decide when to go completely cold turkey.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I stopped pumping several weeks ago and have only been nursing morning/night, but between a cold and my period (twice, in fact), my supply is barely existent anymore.  I have decided that when Maddie turns 10m next week I will stop. I am torn about it.  On the one hand, I'm sad and I will miss it, but on the other hand, it will be nice to have my body back, and DH will be happy to help out with her bedtime (and I am looking forward to resuming bedtime stuff with DS).  Maddie is my last baby, so it's very bittersweet, and I've already been dragging it out longer because of this.
  • Looking for feedback. Audri and I really haven't had many issues since I got over mastitis really early on. Now that we've hit the 10-month mark I'm having supply issues. She doesn't want to nurse as long anymore and starts pulling off and about the four to five minute mark during the day. I try to put her back on but she fights me and gets angry and tries to pull herself up, usually succeeding. I've tried nursing her in a different room away from distractions and that's helped a little bit but she still gets to about the six or seven minute mark and wants to be done. This has in turn lowered my supply and when I pump at work I'm not getting as much. I pump twice a day both sides at the same time and used to end up with two five ounce bottles. Now I'm lucky if I get to three and a half ounce bottles. We have increased her solids but it seems to be on par with what all the recommendations are. We give her breakfast, usually a puree or baby cereal, lunch is usually a puree or cereal, and dinner is usually some finger food and a puree a pouch. I'm at a loss of what to do to get her to nurse longer and to help increase my supply again. I even did a nurse in day when I stayed home from work a few weeks ago and just nursed her all day long and didn't give her solids per the recommendation of my pediatrician. That seemed to have a short increase in my supply but nothing that lasted. Just yesterday she was dehydrated when she woke up and had a little nugget poops and her soft spot was slightly sunken on her head. I nursed her extra sessions yesterday and gave her a sippy cup with water and she's better now but it sure had me scared. Any suggestions and how to get her to nurse longer?
  • No suggestions here, but I think their needs decrease a little bit around this age. I know that Jackie hasn't been nursing as often or as long as she did even a month ago. I mentioned it to our ped a couple weeks ago and he didn't seem worried. Also note she's in the 96% for weight, so that might be why he wasn't worried.
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • lm45678lm45678 member
    edited April 2017
    arteduc8 said:
    Looking for feedback. Audri and I really haven't had many issues since I got over mastitis really early on. Now that we've hit the 10-month mark I'm having supply issues. She doesn't want to nurse as long anymore and starts pulling off and about the four to five minute mark during the day. I try to put her back on but she fights me and gets angry and tries to pull herself up, usually succeeding. I've tried nursing her in a different room away from distractions and that's helped a little bit but she still gets to about the six or seven minute mark and wants to be done. This has in turn lowered my supply and when I pump at work I'm not getting as much. I pump twice a day both sides at the same time and used to end up with two five ounce bottles. Now I'm lucky if I get to three and a half ounce bottles. We have increased her solids but it seems to be on par with what all the recommendations are. We give her breakfast, usually a puree or baby cereal, lunch is usually a puree or cereal, and dinner is usually some finger food and a puree a pouch. I'm at a loss of what to do to get her to nurse longer and to help increase my supply again. I even did a nurse in day when I stayed home from work a few weeks ago and just nursed her all day long and didn't give her solids per the recommendation of my pediatrician. That seemed to have a short increase in my supply but nothing that lasted. Just yesterday she was dehydrated when she woke up and had a little nugget poops and her soft spot was slightly sunken on her head. I nursed her extra sessions yesterday and gave her a sippy cup with water and she's better now but it sure had me scared. Any suggestions and how to get her to nurse longer?
    I've been going through the same recently- when I first went back to work I pumped twice and got 16-20oz, now I only get about 8. I am hell bent on making it to 1 year EBF so I went to see a LC a couple weeks ago.

    Here are the takeaways-

    -I only send 2 4oz bottles to daycare now
    -I give her more solid food that is super healthy & nutritious    
        B: yogurt and cut up fruit
        L: chicken, veggie and brown rice
        D : whatever we're having 
        **we also do 1-2 healthy snacks per day
    -Whenever possible I add 1 extra pumping session per day (morning after a feed or nighttime)
    -BF as much as possible
    **my pump motor was going so I bought the Spectra S2 on Amazon for $129 at her recommendation 


    Keep in mind that she is taking what she needs, and that she may be a very efficient nurser. She may get 3-4oz super quickly. Also keep in mind that our milk changes as they grow, and is super calorie dense. Try to get her to latch on as much as possible even if it's only for short periods. Stay hydrated, make sure you are eating enough. And most importantly, try to relax. Trust me, I have shed many tears worrying about my supply but I truly find that the less stressed I am the more milk I make.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    artlea2013lyoash31
  • @laurenm2123 was the switch from 3 to 2 bottles prompted by the LC? I always send 3 4-oz bottles with S to daycare, but for the last couple of weeks he only ever really drinks around 8 oz of it. I've been debating dropping one of the bottles. He seems like he's made a switch in the past few weeks or so to being much more interested in solid food than milk for his nourishment during the day.
  • annaf2011 said:
    @laurenm2123 was the switch from 3 to 2 bottles prompted by the LC? I always send 3 4-oz bottles with S to daycare, but for the last couple of weeks he only ever really drinks around 8 oz of it. I've been debating dropping one of the bottles. He seems like he's made a switch in the past few weeks or so to being much more interested in solid food than milk for his nourishment during the day.
    She recommended dropping from 12oz/day to 8oz/day. I've been sending her with bigger breakfast and lunch and she drink 2 4oz bottles while there. It's made it a lot easier to make enough milk now that I only need 8oz/day
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    annaf2011
  • Jack dropped a bottle and dropped oz per bottle around 7 months. He now only gets 3 6 oz bottles while I'm at work and one 9 oz bottle before bed. My supply has slowly decreased since he stopped nursing at 7 months.
  • How many times a day are you guys nursing?

    Savannah takes two 4oz bottles at daycare and nurses between 2-4x/day on top of that. On days she only nurses twice I am worried she's not really getting enough.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Preston nurses 4-6 times a day depending on his mood.  Some days he will skip the feeding I normally give before DH gets home.  He always does one right when he wakes up for the day and right before his second nap, the other feedings really depend on how much solids he eats.  I let him graze during the day along with 3 full meals so I know he eats plenty.  I used to worry when he skipped a feeding but reminded myself that there are days where adults eat more or less and he will eat when he's hungry.
    lm45678artlea2013
  • arteduc8 said:
    Looking for feedback. Audri and I really haven't had many issues since I got over mastitis really early on. Now that we've hit the 10-month mark I'm having supply issues. She doesn't want to nurse as long anymore and starts pulling off and about the four to five minute mark during the day. I try to put her back on but she fights me and gets angry and tries to pull herself up, usually succeeding. I've tried nursing her in a different room away from distractions and that's helped a little bit but she still gets to about the six or seven minute mark and wants to be done. This has in turn lowered my supply and when I pump at work I'm not getting as much. I pump twice a day both sides at the same time and used to end up with two five ounce bottles. Now I'm lucky if I get to three and a half ounce bottles. We have increased her solids but it seems to be on par with what all the recommendations are. We give her breakfast, usually a puree or baby cereal, lunch is usually a puree or cereal, and dinner is usually some finger food and a puree a pouch. I'm at a loss of what to do to get her to nurse longer and to help increase my supply again. I even did a nurse in day when I stayed home from work a few weeks ago and just nursed her all day long and didn't give her solids per the recommendation of my pediatrician. That seemed to have a short increase in my supply but nothing that lasted. Just yesterday she was dehydrated when she woke up and had a little nugget poops and her soft spot was slightly sunken on her head. I nursed her extra sessions yesterday and gave her a sippy cup with water and she's better now but it sure had me scared. Any suggestions and how to get her to nu


    STUCK IN THE BOX!!

    Charlotte has been nursing for shorter sessions as well in the mornings and on the weekends so to help keep my supply up I typically will pump after she's done. I'm pumping twice at work and getting about 8-9 ounces and then another 4 ounces in the morning and 3-4 at night. I nurse once in the morning and once before bed and send 3 5-ounce bottles to daycare and they insist that she wants all of it. I find on the weekends she's mostly eating just 4 times a day. But she's eating 3 full solid meals a day as well plus an afternoon snack.

    I will be so glad to have made it a yea but I CANNOT WAIT TO STOP PUMPING!
    lm45678
  • How many times a day are you guys nursing?

    Savannah takes two 4oz bottles at daycare and nurses between 2-4x/day on top of that. On days she only nurses twice I am worried she's not really getting enough.

    Stuck in box 

    Lately we're pretty similar.  S always nurses right before bed, and I often still feed him one more time before I go to sleep. Sometime, if we do a motn feeding them he won't really drink anything in the morning before daycare. Some days he'll nurse right after we get home from daycare and others, not. He also only eats about 8 oz (if that) at daycare lately. I try not to worry too much about it because at this point, I'm trusting that he'll get what he needs. But on the days when I only get to feed him a couple times I do feel very nostalgic for how quickly he's growing up. 
    artlea2013lm45678Lizbeth86
  • I feed Jackie 5 times each day. Roughly 5am, 8am, 11am, 4pm, and 7pm. I'm going to have to shift the 8am one forward a bit to be able to nurse before we leave for daycare/work. I'm hoping that way I will only have to pump twice at work. 
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards