October 2017 Moms
Options

Calling all lurkers / newbies!!

yasandsonyasandson member
edited July 2017 in October 2017 Moms
It seems a lot of new or previously inactive people are popping up! So, if you're a not-so-active member and want to change that without facing the "and you are??" responses, here's your chance! Intro (or re-intro) here. We want a chance to get to know you! We've only got a few weeks left, let's enjoy them on a not-so-dead board :p

-stolen from/inspired by July17-

Re: Calling all lurkers / newbies!!

• Options
    edited July 2017
    @abaume  Way to break the ice and encourage others to come and say something here (we all see you lurking!)! Done like a pro lol
    Its great that you get to retire at such a young age! (yep i said young...! People usualy wait until they re 67 to retire around here lol) 
    Edited to add tag

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    abaumeabaume member
    edited July 2017
    @yasandson thanks! I only get to retire from the military. Still gonna grind away at my regular gig. It's a relief though, they have owned me my entire adult life. The Guard is a one weekend a month two weeks a year thing. I have to drive 2 hours to get there, which sucks with little ones. So its a relief to have that completed. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @abaume Totaly understand why its a relief with the drive it entails with littles ones!! :) 

Edited to add tag
  • Options
    I had posted in another community buuuut I have been the last to write anything for about a week or two in there.
  • Options
    abaumeabaume member
    @peanut1017 welcome! I am so dreading that dang glucose test. Glad you are doing good. 
  • Options
    abaumeabaume member
    @virginiaham Thank you so much, it feels good to be done although I will miss the people. Nice to meet and "old reg"!
  • Options
    @yasandson Yep, alllllll good over here. Healthy as a tiny gestatin' horse. English is so hard, especially these days, and it's all I speak. My French is shameful; I swear I forgot more while living in Montreal than I learned. I was on such a good path to bilingualism in my teen years and I messed it up by taking a Spanish class at the same time and began to mash the two languages together. It was decidedly not successful and now I know nothing.
    Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• Options
    @reneeannemm I had wondered where you went! Glad to see you back. :)
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    @jessafishy Heyyyyyy lady <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16

• Options
    abaumeabaume member
  • Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Sarah. My husband and dog and I live in north Georgia. We are expecting our first- a boy- October 26th.

I posted a little early on, especially before we told our families we were expecting- I was dying to talk to people about being pregnant! But, as a teacher I rarely had time to post. I think I was also holding back out of fear that something would happen and I didn't want to get too invested. Then by the time summer came it seemed like I had missed the boat. I'm so glad this thread was started! 

And @yasandson I'm so impressed with all of your language skills! I speak English and Spanish and need to learn Arabic since I have a niece who primarily speaks Arabic. Are you planning on speaking mostly French to your little one? 
  • Options
    @nofearinperfectlove thanks mama :blush: honestly since french will be spoken in school, i think im going to talk to him in english mostly  (though mine is far from perfect) and a little in french , H will talk to him in arabic. Im scared that too many languages confuses him and makes it so that he starts to speak at a later age... So i guess we re still trying to figure it out,  but its really important for us that he learns at least those 3. 
    What arabic dialect does your niece speak (which country)? 
  • Options
    @itsamurphything I love San Francisco! My hubs took me there when we were dating and proposed. We spent a week exploring the city and surrounding area and the whole time we're like, "Why don't we live here!?" I hope you love your new home! 

@yasandson They say babies that are hearing more than one language can be slower to start speaking, but once they do they have no problems sorting out the sounds. In the long run it will be awesome for your LO to start out trilingual! My niece is in Lebanon- I think that's pretty different from Moroccan Arabic, yes? I want to speak Spanish with our son, but I'm not a native speaker so he'll probably pick up my English accent!
  • Options
    @nofearinperfectlove thats what i have read too! My sister had the same issue with her first. She is almost 3yo now and barely says a few basic words in french and arabic! 
    Yes you are right, lebanese arabic is different than moroccan. Lebanese is closer to the classical arabic (the one used in the Quran, the muslim's holy book). We (moroccans, algerians, tunisians) kind of did whatever we wanted with the language to the point where it doesnt sound like the classical one anymore lol. So i def can understand and talk lebanese but a lebanese would never understand moroccan nor speak it :) 
  • Options
    Hey all! Good idea to do this thread! I am new and I also lurk. I tried to be more active in the beginning but I felt like I couldn't quite get my footing.

I am an older mom too--35 and due 10/7 with a boy. We also have a 2 year old girl. This pregnancy has been a whirlwind. I can't believe I am about to start the third trimester!! I am a working mom as well, and we are going to be moving in mid to late August, so that should be interesting too haha. I am just hoping to feel settled before baby boy gets here--and I am also hoping that we can think of a name for him!
  • Options
    Hi @ssmama34217 :) I'm impressed that you're moving with a 2yo and pregnant! 
  • Options
    Hi all, I'll re-introduce myself as a well. I was somewhat active at the beginning because of the excitement and because I had a subchorionic hemorrhage that caused a lot of bleeding and problems. I was talking to some ladies who also had SCHs for support.  That has thankfully resolved and I am SCH free and so far a healthy pregnancy.  Due date is 10/9 with a little boy and I still can't believe it's real!  I'm an older mom (40) and also a first time mom so I'm thrilled to finally start a family.
    can you all believe how fast Oct is approaching! Pretty soon we'll all be posting real pics!  Nice to re-meet all of you.  

@yasandson, we also have a tri-lingual family and are considering trying to make our LO tri-lingual. My hubby is a native of France, my family is greek and I speak fluent Greek (I also speak decent french) and we live in the US so of course there is English. I am also worried about totally confusing the kid with three languages spoken and am wondering if we should focus on two instead because 3 seems like a lot! I care more about french because hubby's family is all in France and they don't speak any English while most of my family is in the US now. Bonne chance à toi!

• Options
    @sophiakam greek! Thats awesome! Yes we re still trying to figure out if we will stick to two languages or will go for three as well. Same here, scared 3 is way too much and confuses him to the point where he starts to speak waaaaaay later in his life. As I said, ive seen babies who were spoken to only two languages and that was already confusing to them... So still unsure lol
    Bonne chance à nous toutes!! ❤️ 
  • Options
    @nofearinperfectlove Haha thanks! To top it off we have been living with my parents for the last couple of months (between the end of a lease & the closing on the new house). Definitely bananas but we are thankful to save extra $$!
  • Options
    marmedellomarmedello member
    edited July 2017
    Hi my name is Maryam. I used to occasionally post, but once I switched phones I couldn't figure out how to log back in and ended up with a new account. I have been kind of lurking since because I couldn't always think of something to to respond with. I plan on updating the EDD chart replacing  my old username once I can. 

I live in OH, am 24 with a husband whose also 24. We have a 2 year old son and are waiting on our second child due October 4th. We don't know what we're having, although some of our sisters do as we let one of them find out at the ultrasound. I'm regretting that decision now and had to tell them not to tell anyone else. I have 2 cats that are sisters and can't really think of anything else to mention now. 

And i I just noticed how messed up my profile picture is. But guess who doesn't feel like fixing it right now.
  • Options
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16

• Options
    Hey hey, second time mom here due with my second son October 28th.  I am so busy with my 2.5 year old that it's hard to make it to my computer often but I'm here!  I'm a SAHM and I love reading, watching super hero movies, and cooking.  In another life I was a dog trainer!  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sara here... 30 years old and almost 27 weeks along with our first - gender unknown, referred to as ittybitty or it. Husband (also 30) and I just celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary with our annual vacation, to the Pacific Northwest this year. We live in Wisconsin, both work from home, him as a software developer, me as a medical writer (I joke that us both working from home is how this baby happened). We're getting excited, but also suuuper stressed trying to finish our home remodel so that ittybitty has somewhere to live once I'm no longer serving as its incubator. 
    I love seeing what everyone has to say, even though I'm pretty quiet myself.
  • Options
    @yasandson @sophiakam Hello there! I'm both a quiet member of the board and part of a multi-lingual family, and your conversation made me want to join in and chat...

But first things first: my name is Sophie, I'm 35, I'm French, married to an 31yo American (Ohio boy), and we live in Berlin, Germany. I have an almost 5yo son and am expecting another boy--I'm 26 weeks pregnant. I don't participate much but I've enjoyed reading this board and I don't want to see it die, so here is me.

I felt like sharing, because I am currently seeing the effects of three languages being spoken to a 5yo: I speak to him in French and English, my husband speaks to him in English and German and he goes to a Franco-German kindergarten.
    And he is doing fine!

My advice is to try whatever you feel is right, but don't be nervous about it being too much for the child and then NOT try. Because growing up with several languages is awesome, and if it turns out to be too much for a child, then (s)he will tell/show you, and you can adjust the amount of foreign languages spoken accordingly. But there is no harm in trying... And seeing my little guy juggle with all three languages is amazing and exciting.

Obviously, I lack a long-term view of the situation and I don't know how this will affect his spelling/writing and overall everyday life in the future, but I do know that speaking several languages is a huge plus in life, so hopefully he'll have that going for him :)

Bis bald und viel Glück!
  • Options
    I've got a friend that's American, her husband is German.  Their first child (A) was born in Japan and learned all 3 languages.  They've since moved to Germany and had a second child (B).  The Japanese is falling to the wayside, in favor of French, German and English for both of their children.  It's fun because when we video-chat, B will say a word or phrase in English, then teach me the German and French versions.  I'm guessing she's picked that up in her preschool/daycare.  I know the parents focused on English and German first, with French coming in later for B.  I plan to ask my friend how A did with 3 languages from birth, now 4 languages.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @melarowan And I wonder what language(s) A and B speak together? With one learning how to speak in Japan and the other one learning those skills in Germany, what is their strong language? This is so cool...
  • Options
    Totally agree with you on the importance of teaching our kids more than one language. 
    These multi languages stories are very inspiring mamaz!! 
  • Options
    @mwill291 I was in the same boat as you being reluctant to post before. I'm so sorry for your loss. Kudos to you for your bravery and hope throughout this pregnancy! 
  • Options
    My bff and our chosen emergency guardian is Québécois so he'll be speaking French with this baby. :) All hope is lost for me but not my kid thankfully.

Hello @mwill291 I'm very sorry for your loss and fx for an uneventful rest of this pregnancy.

@sofiaberlin One side of my husband's family is German and his beloved Oma was his best friend growing up so we'd ideally like to introduce German as well because it's a language full of love to him. 

@drschmitts Oh my, renos while pregnant. You are a rock!
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16