May 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 6.26-7.1

2»

Re: Weekly Randoms 6.26-7.1

• Loading the player...
  • mdlorenz said:
    Solidarity to the mamas with frustrating partners. @chailife34 - your dishes story sounds eerily familiar. I tried to gently (even though I really wanted to yell) tell DH exactly how his behavior was not helping and how he could actually be helpful and kind and considerate. And so far, things have improved quite a bit. We'll see how long it lasts...
    Solid advice.. maybe I'll try guiding the interaction that way.. hope it lasts for you!!
  • Let's discuss sleep training.

With DS1, I didn't even really read about it or try anything specific as we went off of his cues and such. He actually did pretty good and started sleeping through the night, with the occasional MOTN feed, fairly early on.

During the hospital stay with DS2, one of the mother & baby nurses mentioned a method/book that piqued our interest. It's called, Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old. Suzy Giordano is the author. We ordered it but I barely started reading it last night. It's an easy read and I'm finishing it up now. Anyone else heard of this, have or will be trying it?

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• mcvgalmcvgal member
    I'll admit that I don't really know what I am doing with sleep. DS1 did not STTN until he turned 1 year old. At 10 months old, I really started focusing on bed time routine and consistency. To this day he will go to sleep on his own and stay in his room all night. DS2 started STTN when he was about 10 weeks old. I nursed him to sleep and he stayed asleep the whole night. However, starting around age 2, he started crawling out of bed and wanted to sleep with DH. Then DH just started getting him to sleep by laying with him and would sneak out of his bed. DS2 will not stay in his own bed. He now crawls into bed with me in DD's room. DD has STTN at least 1 day per week for the last 3 weeks. 

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• @mrsrep123 I'm interested to see what you think about that book! I've never heard of it, but it certainly sounds interesting! It's hard to imagine doing any kind of sleep training that young though, so I'm interested to know what the methods are.  For all of her cluster feeding and daytime sleep issues Claire is a decent night time sleeper. She's only three weeks old but gives me 2 to 3 hour stretches pretty much all night long. That doesn't sound so amazing when I look at it written out... Maybe I'm just used to sleep deprivation! 
  • mrsrep123mrsrep123 member
    edited June 2017
    @ShadeofGreen816 I'll be back, most likely tonight, to report my thoughts. But one thing that's already NOT in my favor, is that we have Rowan's crib in our room and have planned on having him in there for his first year, to reduce the risk of SIDS. This, however, is the antithesis to her method. I almost stopped reading the book right after I read that, but i figured the other parts may still help. We had DS1's crib in our room as well and he slept pretty good.

Edited due to autocorrect 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• edited June 2017
    I did some gentle sleep training with ds1 at 6 months old. I purchased this sleep guide by Dana obleman. It was around 100$ I believe and it it was worth every penny. I followed the guide with what I felt comfortable with, and it worked. It took 3 days and he became a great sleeper. She focused on getting rid of sleep props, so no swaddle, pacifier, rocking to sleep, feeding to sleep..etc.. I cannot stand to let my babies cry and he didn't cry much with this method. I stayed by his side as he learned to put himself to sleep. I gave in about a month after Getting rid of the pacifier and I let him have it again (he is still obsessed). Also he was in my room until over a year old. 

I'm going to look up that book you said @mrsrep123. 12 weeks does seem early.