August 2017 Moms

UO 6/15

2»

Re: UO 6/15

• I have no issues with plastic surgery. I say if it makes you feel better, go for it.  Obviously make sure you can afford your bills and such, but if you want your boobs done or botox makes you feel good, why is it anyone else's business?
  • edited June 2017
    @BlackNYellow does that mean you like your buffalo wing dip made with ranch?! Blue cheese all the way. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @brookedeyo I like my wings as hot as possible and try to avoid dips. But if I had to choose I would pick ranch. 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• bumpybumpbumpybump member
    edited June 2017
    @aehogan90 you'll be happy to know our dog's name is Smokey. Now if someone named their kid that, I'd seriously question them (I'm sure there's some out there).

@SouthernMama15 do you really know people who only eat foods because they're "trendy?" I personally eat both avocado and Sriracha because I tried them and like them. Same goes for Nutella which you could probably argue is another "trendy" one in the US.

@BlackNYellow you realize you can eat feta cheese now, right? Just make sure they used pasteurized milk which is the most common way in the US. And I love blue cheese for my wings!

DeansGirl14 said:
    ***snipped***
    There are definitely skilled jobs (teachers, doctors, lawyers) etc but I feel like replacing corporate jobs at higher levels would be a lot harder; I'd also worry that if my contractor did a better job than I did for a year that they'd fire me when I return and hire someone else. 
    ***snipped***
    If an employee is gone via FMLA, their job is protected and the company cannot "fire" them upon their return. At least, this is what happens at the corporate companies. Could they wait a certain amount of time and relocate them to a different job or terminate them later, sure. But every employee has that risk.

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump Yes but I'm a scared FTM and would rather not even chance it at restaurants.  I have had some at family parties when I know that it came from pasteurized milk. Maybe I'll be a little ballsier with baby #2.
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @bumpybump there were moms on my last BMB who you could definitely tell were doing it because it was trendy. Or feeding their kids certain stuff because everyone else was. 
  • tova24tova24 member
    Push presents/ push parties. I think they are kind of crazy. 
  • bumpybump said:
    @aehogan90 you'll be happy to know our dog's name is Smokey. Now if someone named their kid that, I'd seriously question them (I'm sure there's some out there).

@SouthernMama15 do you really know people who only eat foods because they're "trendy?" I personally eat both avocado and Sriracha because I tried them and like them. Same goes for Nutella which you could probably argue is another "trendy" one in the US.

@BlackNYellow you realize you can eat feta cheese now, right? Just make sure they used pasteurized milk which is the most common way in the US. And I love blue cheese for my wings!

DeansGirl14 said:
    ***snipped***
    There are definitely skilled jobs (teachers, doctors, lawyers) etc but I feel like replacing corporate jobs at higher levels would be a lot harder; I'd also worry that if my contractor did a better job than I did for a year that they'd fire me when I return and hire someone else. 
    ***snipped***
    If an employee is gone via FMLA, their job is protected and the company cannot "fire" them upon their return. At least, this is what happens at the corporate companies. Could they wait a certain amount of time and relocate them to a different job or terminate them later, sure. But every employee has that risk.
    From my understanding, the company just has to have a job for you when you come back from fmla, and it doesn't even have to be your current position. So yeah, they could push you out of your job in a sense if I understand it correctly
  • +1 for loving avocado (even before it was super trendy) @brookedeyo That salad made my mouth water. 

I guess my truly UO is that I love maternity clothes! At this point, as a 4TM, I basically live in my maternity leggings #leggings4lyfe 

We haven't had a pet in years, but our first dog's name was another animal, "Gator". I thought it was totally weird at first (hubby named him), but I ended up naming our 2nd dog "Alli" so we had Alli-Gator. :D 
    My husband named our dogs Pistol and Bullet, not because we are avid gun lovers, but for his college Mascots, Pistol Pete and Bullet (a horse who runs when the team gets touchdowns) 
    Me: 27 DH: 29

Diagnosed with PCOS: January 2009

1st D&C: Janaury 2009
    Dating: March 18, 2009
    Married: June 12, 2010
    TTC: January 1, 2011
    2nd D&C: June 5, 2011
    3rd D&C: August 3, 2011
    Dec 2016: BFP (due 8/5/2017)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It is illegal to be moved to a different position even if it is the same pay.   Now, you might come back and two months later they change your position, demote you etc.   but that could happen even if you weren't out on leave.
  • bumpybump said:
    ***snipped***
    DeansGirl14 said:
    ***snipped***
    ***snipped***
    From my understanding, the company just has to have a job for you when you come back from fmla, and it doesn't even have to be your current position. So yeah, they could push you out of your job in a sense if I understand it correctly
    We had our entire department restructured while my boss was out on leave. That means she was put in a different role with a different title and managing different employees and projects. Not sure how much it matters since it was dropped on all of us at the same time. She just wasn't there to see it happen.

While I was on leave our company was bought out. That was a whole different experience. I ended up putting in my notice that I wasn't coming back a couple weeks before my FMLA was up. It worked out perfectly fine and I wasn't punished or expected to pay back my partial pay.
  • bumpybumpbumpybump member
    edited June 2017
    FMLA protects employee and employer. Employees are protected in that they return with their previous job or an equivalent one in pay, benefits, and anything else they accrued during their time there. What I should have stated above is I have not ever seen someone moved to a different position upon return from FMLA unless it was a promotion (happened a lot where I worked) or if there was a restructuring like @middy411 described. But they cannot fire someone out of the company returning from FMLA. Often 3ish months, give or take, is not enough time for a "replacement" to shine and take your job away from you. We used to always say that you were definitely still learning by at least your sixth month on a job where I worked. Obviously, that may not be true at every place of work. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• It is illegal to be moved to a different position even if it is the same pay.   Now, you might come back and two months later they change your position, demote you etc.   but that could happen even if you weren't out on leave.
    FMLA doesn't guarantee you the exact same position you had prior to your leave.  You can be moved to an equivalent position.  It needs to be pretty close in terms of skill, opportunity, etc and the pay and benefits should be the same though.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I mostly understand FMLA in the states, but was more curious how different countries could protect a job for an entire year. The cost to find and train a highly proficient replacement for upper-level jobs, lost opportunity cost while that person onboards, etc- just to turn around and let them go (or reposition them) when the person on Leave comes back... sounds complicated. 
    I assume it's just built into the cost of doing business (considering those countries also give paternity leave).  Their overhead on salaries, taxes and benefits simply must be more than comparable companies in the states to offset all the costs of recruiting and training replacements. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 - you're right that it would likely be built into the cost of doing business in large corporations with specific job descriptions, but in smaller businesses, it is very difficult to project costs like that (especially in a market where "temps" aren't really a thing). In my situation, I have one employee cross-trained to take on some of my menial day-to-day tasks while I'm off for a few weeks. However, my duties in my company are wide-spread and highly varied. I'll keep up as much as I can from home/coming in here and there immediately post-birth, but my business partners have to pick up my slack in other areas. I'm in a far different situation than most people find themselves in, and I'm thankful for it!
  • I'm getting really irritated sitting by this one coworker. She always, always says as part of social niceties, "I am well!" You are doing well. You are good. While "I am well" is technically grammatically accepted it's more in terms of health, not general state of being. 
    And she takes a lot of meetings during the day so I hear this from her several times a day. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @HappyToBeHere I hear you on the daycare issue. Not quite the same, but I live in a very wealthy area of California (in an apartment...we can't afford the $1.2M for a 2br house here). I am so thankful to have 4 months off paid and would love to be able to take the 2 additional months unpaid that FMLA allows but I don't think that's the best move for our family. Because of FMLA entitling moms to take up to 6 months, a lot of day cares here won't take infants under 6 months. It's so frustrating! We could drive 20 miles in bumper to bumper traffic for something more affordable at 4 months, but right now, our only option close by is to put a deposit down at a place that's $2200/month since no where else will give us a tour or take the baby before 6 mos. We are seriously considering just doing that for 2 months then switching to one of the more affordable options that will take the baby at 6 months.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker