May 2017 Moms

FFFC 6.16

mcvgalmcvgal member
edited June 2017 in May 2017 Moms
Let's hear them ladies. I am sure among the few of us left here, someone has got to have a confession.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

Re: FFFC 6.16

• I'll start!

I'm a bit jealous of those that can breastfeed/nurse, although reading some posts now, it sounds like it also comes with its set of issues too. 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Loading the player...
  • @mcvgal I would kill for a McD's cone right now! No judgement here
  • @mrsrep123 now that I've eped and I'm now breastfeeding sometimes I miss the ease of just popping a bottle in her mouth and not sitting for hours while she milks me. I like the convenience of not needing to plan with bf. I can just pull boob out anytime but it's so time consuming 
  • Yiggle09 said:
    @mrsrep123 now that I've eped and I'm now breastfeeding sometimes I miss the ease of just popping a bottle in her mouth and not sitting for hours while she milks me. I like the convenience of not needing to plan with bf. I can just pull boob out anytime but it's so time consuming 
    This, I love not having to prepare bottles if I want to leave the house, I can just walk out the door with the diaper bag left in the car and be set. or not washing bottles daily. But I hate that I don't have time for my toddler, I can't just get up and help him (I leant how to walk around and bottle feed with him) I can't walk around and BF yet, because of our shallow latch, I really have to concentrate on keeping a good latch. I hate that DH can't take a feed without me pumping first (which doesn't seem to work well for me) and that there is significant preparation and planning needed before I can leave the house without LO.

Both definitely have their merits, and I almost miss formula feeding, but my biggest regret with DS1 was not sticking it out longer, so I've made a goal of 6 weeks minimum, I would love to double it if I can but I am definitely not one of these women who want to BF for a year or more. 
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • I'm struggling with BF for sure and it's only been 2 weeks. She just wants to nurse constantly and nurses for 20-40 min at a time. My nipples hurt a ton but everyone says her latch is good so I don't know if that's going to go away or not. And she won't sleep anywhere but on my chest basically so we are practicing some super unsafe sleep practices around here which I'm hating. I wanted to make it to 2 months at least but I'm struggling to feel like that's possible. 
  • @ShadeofGreen816 I don't think it's unreasonable for your nipples to still hurt at 2 weeks. I think that's around when mine got better. I was sore and bleeding in the beginning and really had to just power through and try different positions to feel better temporarily. I'm not sure if you've tried varying up your positions, but I'd definitely give that a try to see if any hurt less. For example, when my nipples were still sore, I found cradle to be best for my left side but football to be best for my right. I used a lot of nipple creams in the beginning, but now my nipples are healed over and I don't find myself using them anymore.

Also, I completely understand being frustrated with the long nursing sessions. In the beginning, we had lots of long sessions, but she's definitely shortened up, and now she usually only feeds for about 15 minutes (granted, it ends up being longer than that with burping and diaper changes and breaks for her).

Also, it honestly doesn't matter what other people say about latch...the important thing is what works between you and Claire. I was trying to "follow the rules" in the beginning and shove my boob into her mouth and all that. But I found that just didn't work for us. If I basically plop Juniper's face onto my boob, she latches herself just fine. So, that works for us. The LC said she looked shallow, but it wasn't hurting me and she was feeding fine, so that also works for us. I guess what I'm getting at is to try mixing it up. If you're currently doing something to initiate her latch, maybe try a different approach. You can squeeze your boob (well away from the nipple), so it's more of a thin sandwich for her to grab. You could line her chin up on your breast, nose to nipple, pull the nipple away and release it into her mouth once she opens wide. You could try just leaning way way back, letting Claire lay on your belly with her head on your breast, and see if she lines herself up right. There are definitely lots of options, and there might be one that lines her up just right for you and reduces nipple pain. Also, if it's a matter of your areolas being hard, have you tried reverse pressure softening? That works really well for me and reduces that initial pain if I'm more full.

All that being said, if it's too much, don't feel like you have to keep up with it! Fed is best.
  • Thanks for all the tips @starphish18. I was feeling really frustrated and discouraged this morning after yet another night where she refused to be laid down. Of course during the day at least one of her naps she's fine to be down but not at night! I really hadn't experimented with positions yet because I was struggling to master anything beside football hold. But I tried a cradle hold on my right (the sore nip) side today and it seemed a tiny bit better. The skin just feels chaffed and chapped. There's no obvious trauma so I guess that's good but it feels discouraging too! BFing is hard. I still want to make It at least til her 2 month vaccines and will re-eval then. Ideally I'd like to make it a year but we'll see - that sounds so hard right now! 

It is really nice that when shes she's upset I have a guaranteed solution whether she actually eats or comfort nurses. It's just hard to be the only one  that can execute it! 

Thanks for letting me vent! H keeps saying "why don't we just switch to formula?" Which I know he's saying to be supportive but then I feel guilty and it's a horrible cycle! This mom-ing stuff is hard!!
  • @ShadeofGreen816 I'm right there with you. I feel so frustrated at times because I'm the only one who can do something sometimes. Sometimes she nurses and goes down so easily and other times it seems like she can't be put down ever. 
    As I wrote this my damn dog barked at the doorbell and woke her up. So exhausting sometimes. 
  • @ShadeofGreen816 FWIW the cradle hold is really hard to master straight away, try the cross cradle, it's much easier to master and you can switch it to cradle once she's latched on. I have some instructions on it from the LC if you want I can post a photo. 
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • mcvgalmcvgal member
    @ShadeofGreen816 I think at two weeks it's still normal for there to be some pain. You really need to do what is best for baby AND you. When you reevaluate at 2 months, if you do opt for formula, there is no reason to feel guilty at all. 

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• @mrsrep123 I'm totally jealous of nursing mamas!
    @ShadeofGreen816 don't feel bad! You do what you can, but the clingyness seems nirmal at this age. @starphish18 gave amazing advice!

FFFC: I never want to hold back to work. I'm pretty obsessed with this peanut.
  • I basically supplement with breast milk. I never got a good supply since having to supplement with formula in the hospital for medical reasons.
  • mrsrep123mrsrep123 member
    edited June 2017
    There you are @jayandaplus! I was wondering how you were doing!  :D

And while I'm at it, @sweaterboots @WombThereItIs @nda_roxybabe @hp_momma @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot @CherryBananas @Louise_Belcher @Kipperoo how are you all doing?

Eta I'm sure I'm missing more regs... sorry

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• jayandaplusjayandaplus member
    edited June 2017
    I'm sorry I haven't been around! I'm going to try making more of an effort. I've been good, thank you for asking. How about you @mrsrep123? Miss you ladies over here!
  • I definitely still had some pain at 2 weeks when DS would initially latch, though it wasn't toe curling like the first week. Lanolin helped! DS is 1 month tomorrow, and I no longer have pain when he latches. I still use lanolin a few times a week, just to keep things going well.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • For me the first 3 months of breast feeding were a struggle. The pain will go away and it will get easier
  • @ShadeofGreen816 have you tried side lying to nurse? It may help your LO get used to lying down on a flat surface. 
  • @jayandaplus glad you're doing well. I'm good! Still adjusting to having two kiddos but enjoying the journey!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Thanks for thinking of me, @mrsrep123! I'm here. I've been busy chasing the toddler and dealing with the baby. I swing through and  lurk once a day or so. By the time I arrive everyone else has responded and answered the things I intend to respond to. I need to try to make more of an effort here. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Hi @mrsrep123! Sorry for disappearing. Mobile bumping sucked for quite a while (wouldn't let me comment) and we aren't even close to being in a routine so I don't have the patience to be on my phone all the time. I'll definitely try to make more of an effort - even if it's just on Tuesdays. I miss our chats! We are doing good though. Graham is adorable and has the sweetest personality. Hope everyone is doing well!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker