August 2017 Moms

Weekly Appointments 6/12

2»

Re: Weekly Appointments 6/12

• Had my 32 week appointment this AM. My blood pressure was higher than usual, so they sent me to L&D for a NST. Baby did great and I didn't have any protein in my urine, which was a relief. The nurse said the monitor was picking up contractions every few minutes, but I literally felt nothing! She said they were most likely "practice contractions", which I assume are Braxton Hicks. 

Anyone else having BH contractions at this point? I thought it was a little early for that. Not sure if it's different for FTM vs. STM (FTM here).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 I have been having BH contractions for weeks now (FTM).  I didnt know what they were at first, but then one of the apps I have said they would feel like a tightening in your lower abdomen. My OB said that as long as I dont have more than 5 in an hour, I dont need to worry.  Usually if I drink a bunch of water they stop.  

Glad you and LO are doing okay! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Loading the player...
  • tova24tova24 member
    @secicc12  I'm glad you and baby are ok! I started having BH at 30 weeks, mostly when I'm running around/being super active. 
  • @secicc12 I've been having contractions every few days now. They feel exactly like what I felt when I was 5cm dilated in labor last time around. I timed them on an app yesterday which told me to rush to the hospital immediately... which sent me into panic. They were 50-90 seconds long with and average of 90 seconds in between. I called the doc on call and she calmed me down. The contractions went away after about 3 hours. I didn't feel anything last time until I was well progressed in my labor with Pitocin. Even then it wasn't very painful (I know, I'm lucky). I feel like I am not going to know when I'm actually in labor this time and I'm stressed about it. Last time my water broke to start my labor. Luckily, I have an appointment today and the doc on call said they can check my cervix to make sure everything is ok. I just hope I'm not having contractions for the next 6 weeks while I wait for my RCS. I'm going to be constantly worried about having this baby at home or in the car. Not to mention the risks of having a vaginal labor since they told me I was only a 40% chance for success with a VBAC. Phew... breathing!
  • Mango517Mango517 member
    edited June 2017
    @secicc12 I've been having BH since the 2nd trimester (FTM). At first they came on when I was dehydrated, had an overly full bladder, or wearing something that cut into me wrong. Now in my 3rd tri I'm noticing more of a pattern of them coming less often overall but occurring more at night. They don't hurt really but are very noticeable as my entire belly feels very tight. I was told in my second tri to not worry unless they develop a pattern where I can time them, but I'm going to follow up with my next appointment about the protocol for BH in the 3rd tri.

Edit: I also get them every day. The last two weeks I've noticed a decrease in my daytime BH and they've seemed to move towards coming more at night.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mango517 said:
    @secicc12 I've been having BH since the 2nd trimester (FTM). At first they came on when I was dehydrated, had an overly full bladder, or wearing something that cut into me wrong. Now in my 3rd tri I'm noticing more of a pattern of them coming less often overall but occurring more at night. They don't hurt really but are very noticeable as my entire feels very tight. I was told in my second tri to not worry unless they develop a pattern where I can time them, but I'm going to follow up with my next appointment about the protocol for BH in the 3rd tri.
    In the same boat as Mango except I probably get them every evening. Also, right when I get out of bed and head to the shower. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    Just finished my 32 week checkup. Very uneventful! I literally spent 45 minutes waiting in the waiting room to see the dr for 2 minutes! She lifted up my shirt, found Landon's heart rate, said 142, and asked if I had any questions.Luckily, I get to go back to seeing my normal dr next appointment. The dr I saw today was the last partner in the practice that I had to meet! 
  • You guys are awesome - thanks for sharing your experiences! @littlebug2010 @tova24 @middy411 @DeansGirl14 @Mango517

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 I'm a TTM, but I've been getting BH since around 20 weeks especially if I have a full bladder and sometimes when I'm running or exercising.  Depending on the cause, slowing down, lying down, switching positions, going to the bathroom and drinking water can each be effective in curbing them although mine usually go away after only a handful of them.  

With my second, I started weekly NSTs by 32 weeks and they would pick up contractions, but I didn't feel anything.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @MetsGirl18 same here (TTM). They can be insane some days. My doctor checked my cervix after 6 weeks of them (5 weeks ago) and it was still high and closed so I assume now they are all good and my body will just be all warmed up for the big day!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• I had my 28 week checkup today, glucose tolerance test, and tDap shot. Baby measured right on track. I was told to start kick counts & that if I have more than 5 contractions within an hour to call. I haven't had any BH with this pregnancy so far, and my OB seemed surprised. Apparently she's expecting me to go into labor early since this is #4. :neutral:
  • I just finished my 32 week appointment. The doc I saw did seem concerned that I was having 90 second contractions at 90 second intervals that I had to breathe through and felt like the progressed labor from my first. She took a swab and said they can do a test and if it comes out negative then they know I won't go into labor in the next 2 weeks. If it comes out positive it essentially means nothing... as in, no information gained. She did check my cervix and said it was long and closed but that the baby's head was low. I found this ironic since the reason I had a c section last time was because DD's head was sooooo high and she never dropped/wasn't coming out at all after a long labor. Here's to hoping this baby stays put for several more weeks.
  • @PinkPrincessPiper I'm child #4 for my mom, and she had to be induced because I wouldn't come out :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PinkPrincessPiper I'm child #4 for my mom, and she had to be induced because I wouldn't come out :D
    This gives me hope! I'm having a RCS, and I'd really like to avoid labor altogether.  :p
  • @middy411
    Sounds like you has the FFN test.  I had it done two weeks ago when I was also having contractions.   As soon as it came back negative, the nurses and my doctor basically told me that I had an irritable uterus and I had to just suck it up.  I find that the contractions are alleviated when I'm well hydrated, empty my bladder frequently, and lay on my left side.  Fingers crossed our babies both stay put for at least another month!

Pregnancy Ticker

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    edited June 2017
    @middy411, I tested postive on the FFN test with my first pregnancy at 33 weeks and was put on modified bed rest until 36 weeks and my water broke at 36w4d. So even if positive there's still a chance to keep baby cooking longer.
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    @secicc12, I've had BH with all three pregnancies begin at 20 something weeks. Definitely having them frequently now at 30w. They typically don't hurt and I just feel the tightening. I actually just had one a few minutes ago that sorta hurt. But it's normal at this stage in the game.
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• middy411middy411 member
    edited June 2017
    Thank you @kristenk727 @OTmom3. My doc said that they could give me medication to "quiet my uterus" but that nothing would stop labor if it was going to happen. I didn't really like the sound of taking that medicine. I'm mostly nervous since I have my RCS scheduled for 39w 2d and I'd like to make it to that surgery labor-free. Hopefully I can stay hydrated and take it easy and things will calm down. Thank you for the encouragement. Hoping I get a negative result as well just to ease my mind for the next 2 weeks

edit: typo
  • I always get nervous/anxious but mostly annoyed when they talk about growth. First of all society has some stupid views and expectations on baby growth but also doctors tend to put more on it then what it's worth too. With DD, they kept telling me she was 10+ lbs, freaking me out for no reason and then she was barely 7 at birth. 

Now yesterday at my appt my doctor says she wants to do a growth scan because I'm so tall and it's very difficult for her to get a feel for the size of the baby. I hide my babies well because I have a lot of space. 

I am not worried and actually quite excited to see baby on ultrasound again but just seems like a lot of getting worked up for nothing.
  • @PinkPrincessPiper I'm the youngest of four and all of us were born past our EDDs, including twins. Hoping your LO wants to stay put!

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker