May 2017 Moms

Pumping Questions

Re: Pumping Questions

• @mdlorenz yeah...its like the suction starts off good, but then I must move or something and leak. I always have a towel under my boobs to help, but one always seems to have a puddle underneath it. I'm hoping the hands free pumping bra will help! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • I have an S1 and it charged up pretty easily- you might need to try and get a replacement. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @BabyMC517 I agree that the hands free bra will be a game changer. I can't imagine losing all of that milk :/ 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Any EPers planning to wean before returning to work?

I did this with DS1. Since nursing didn't work with DS2, I'm planning to wean again, but slowly this time. With DS1, I basically did it within a week and used cabbage leaves and pseudoephedrine to help dry up my milk - not the best method in my opinion. This time I plan on slowly spacing out my pump sessions from every 3 hours to every 4, then 5, and so on, on every 3rd day. This method means I need to start weaning earlier, which also means my stash will be pretty non existent. So it looks like I'll be supplementing earlier than anticipated. 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @BabyMC517 I'm so excited for you to get your hands-free pumping bra. No more puddles of wasted milk  :'(

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• SKZWSKZW member
    edited June 2017
    BabyMC517 said:
    @mdlorenz yeah...its like the suction starts off good, but then I must move or something and leak. I always have a towel under my boobs to help, but one always seems to have a puddle underneath it. I'm hoping the hands free pumping bra will help! 
    @BabyMC517: That's happened to me too, and it stinks to lose the milk! I give props to the ladies who'll be pumping outside of their home since the spill factor can be so messy. I can't imagine dealing with this away from the comforts of home and/or being in nice clothes.

I think it's a matter of how you are positioned or move, like you said. I find I need to sit up as tall as possible, and in fact even be leaning forward over/into the horns more. I have the Spectra also and I know they have the downward angle already, but exaggerating that angle seems to help get the milk flowing where it needs to go. Keep an eye on the level in the bottles; if there's a slowdown you can notice & modify it sooner. Also not letting the expressed milk pool. If you know anything about plumbing, it's the same concept as "air behind water," meaning, having that push of air introduced seems to help direct it better. I will, every few minutes, break the seal to see the little stream drip down into the bottle. It's kind of weirdly gratifying.

Hope this helps and hopefully the pumping bra will help you!
  • Thanks @mrsrep123 and @skzw! I try to sit up and/or lean forward but sometimes I'm just lazy lol so partly my fault! I definitely tilt to have the milk fall into the bottle every now and then. I think me being more aware and the bra will both help a ton! I can only imagine how it will be at work if I don't figure something out! I don't want to be changing my clothes every time lol 

• @BabyMC517 I use a cloth diaper or hand towel folded in half and tuck it into the top of my shirt under the pump. Catches any spills or the drips when I remove it instead of getting all over my shirt 
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • @BabyMC517 are you living your new hands-free bra? Less spillage?

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @mrsrep123 it's been great so far! No spillage and I've been able to hold Ollie while I pump or at least have hands to calm him down! 

• @PartiallyDomesticated I was using a towel or burp cloth under my boobs to catch spillage. It was super annoying and frustrating to lose the milk and be soaked! The hands free bra has saved my life!

• I wanted to check in with my fellow pumpers... how's it going? @kns1988 @chailife34 hope all is well...

Maybe I shouldn't say "fellow pumpers" anymore since I'm weaning, but I know how challenging it all is and this board went dead...

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Ok, question...I know the milk looks different your first few days because it's fatter (at least I think that's why), but some of it looked a little different that I pumped yesterday morning than what I pumped later in the day. It's not as white as the others. Is it still okay? I don't know why it would be bad...

• @BabyMC517 yes it's still fine, although I noticed my milk took on more of a colostrum consistency when I started to get mastitis (darker, thicker) so maybe watch that.
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
  • Hey @mrsrep123! Pumping is still happening, although it's a struggle some days. I'm wishing I had more help and more appreciation today. I have an awful headache and would love to just go to bed and not have to worry about waking up to pump and feed the baby. Most days are good, though...
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• @PartiallyDomesticated thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it! That's the only one that is slightly off in color. I did some googling and found that certain foods you eat can turn your milk a different color, so maybe that's it too. 

@kns1988 I feel your pain on the headaches! I mentioned at Hogwarts, and I think here, that I've had a headache every day this week, borderline migraines. They suck! Especially when you can't go to sleep whenever to try and get rid of it! Hope you're feeling better! 

• @BabyMC517 apparently blue Gatorade will tint your milk blue! 

@mrsrep123 thanks for checking in! Did I miss where you said you're weaning? What's going on? How are you doing?
    Things are going as well as I can muster. On average, I'm pumping 5-6 times a day, 8-10 oz total. It's obviously not enough so Isaac also gets formula supplementation. He's responded well to it and has put on a ton of weight so he's much healthier now and the jaundice has cleared finally. I'm still pumping for now so he gets the added immunities but idk how long I'll continue (at least until I go back to work). We are down to about one nursing session a day since he cries at the breast since I don't have a lot of supply and a potential tongue tie. I'm sad about that but my body isn't upset - I'm still dealing with a ton of shoulder/neck pain from a car accident last October.  

@kns1988 I'm so sorry you're not feeling appreciated or getting the help you need. I completely 100% get that. I have so little help it's ridiculous. Never any recognition or gratitude, just expectation. Fwiw, you are doing a great job, mama, keep it up!
  • BabyMC517 said:
    @mrsrep123 it's been great so far! No spillage and I've been able to hold Ollie while I pump or at least have hands to calm him down! 
    The Simple Wishes Supermom bra is incredible for anyone who needs to pump and nurse at the same time or otherwise. I can't say enough good about this bra. 
  • Thanks, ladies. DH took DS for a few hours tonight between feedings, so I got a nap in and my headache went away. I get really cranky when I'm tired and/or in pain. Feeling much better now.

• @chailife34 I don't think I mentioned it on this board, but in my ticker change. I always knew, deep down, if I was going to have to EP with this LO like I did with my first, then I would do it for as long as I did with him, which was right up to his first round of vaccinations. (Plus, i knew even the first time, that i didnt want to pump after returning to work.) That time, I weaned way too fast using cabbage leaves and pseudoephedrine. I wanted to wean more controlled this time, so I set up a schedule and started by dropping one pump session every 3 days and spreading out the rest. At this rate, it would've taken me right up to his 2 month appointment. Well, it turns out that my body got the hint and apparently I didn't need all that time/planning/schedule. My last pump session was 3 days ago and now after wearing a sports bra for 3 days. I am no longer feeling engorged or terribly uncomfortable.  What I am feeling is a bit guilty (there's that damn g word) and selfish, but also free and able to relax and enjoy more time with LO and the rest of my family. Sorry for the novel I didn't know I was about to write but thanks for hanging in there if you're still reading. 

I'm sorry you're supply isn't where you want it, but am glad to hear your LO is gaining weight and jaundice is now gone. We were dealing with those issues as well, but after throwing in the nursing towel and went to EPing, he fiery began to  gain weight and we saw the jaundice improve dramatically in 2 weeks.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @kns1988 and @chailife34 just remember what an awesome job you are doing! It's definitely tough when most, of not all, of the newborn duties fall on your shoulders, but just look at your LO! Look and marvel at how much they've grown and think, it's all your hardwork! And when you feel like you're at your wits end, or hopefully a little bit before, go ahead and communicate that you need some assistance. Sometimes our partners are clueless and just need to hear it. I know I can be in my head too much and start assuming things and that's not good for anyone.

@kns1988 glad your h stepped in and gave you a much needed break. 

@chailife34 how's your w doing?

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @mrsrep123 thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'm headed that direction soon, as I'm not interested in pumping when returning to work but we'll see how long we last. We're down to about one or two nursing sessions a day and neither of us seem to enjoy it much (which makes me sad since DD and I had a great nursing relationship, but different kid).

How is my DW doing? It's complicated.. there are good days and bad. Mostly good but she is still dealing with a lot of deep rooted depression and insecurities. It takes every single ounce of my own energy to uplift her and take care of the kids, often with little leftover for myself (although she did take them both yesterday so I could get a massage and take a yoga class). Life is hard right now but we love each other so much that I know we'll be all right. She's still getting used to Isaac, but really hates the newborn phase, which makes it challenging. I definitely cannot go back to work yet, my family would break. Luckily we have 6 more weeks to enjoy the time together. 
  • @chailife34 I don't know how you do it. My DH struggles with depression and some anxious features, but it's not so significant that it impacts his work life. He often unloads onto me, which he has tried not to do since the baby is here and I'm feeling all of the feelings ever. I'm glad you're taking time to yourself as well. I'm thinking of you and hoping things improve for you. 
  • @chailife34 I can't imagine being in your shoes and it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Be kind to yourself and do what you need to do to maintain your sanity. Is there anyone else (friends/family) around that you can lean on a little to get through this phase? Luckily newborns don't stay newborn for long. 
  • @chailife34 I was thinking a lot about you as well. I'm actually glad that I shared my weaning story now. I was on the fence about it for a few days but thought, well this is what I'm going through so eff it. When I read your response, I could feel your sadness but mainly your strength. Besides all of the other duties of caring for a newborn, toddler, and partner, pumping takes a whole other level of commitment, especially when your supply isn't where you want it. I'm sorry you're weaning, too, but so excited for the liberating feeling you're about to have (although after deciding to wean, you do feel some of that, am i right?). Also, happy you had a great nursing experience with your DD. I'm sad I wasn't able to have that with either of my boys.

I'm hoping the extra time you'll now have with your family will add to your sanity and finally allow you more you time! You clearly deserve it! Hopefully while Isaac continues to steadily grow and get out of this newborn phase, your DW will be able to enjoy it more and take some stress off of your plate.

Good luck! We're here for the good, the bad, and the ugly!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @chailife34 and @mrsrep123, I'm glad to hear you've both made decisions that will give you some relief! 

• Glad you ladies are making positive decisions for you and your families.

In order to build a stash for work, when should I start pumping? I have 12 weeks off. So I have that long to build it up.  
  • Thanks ladies. I definitely do feel that breath of liberation you mentioned @mrsrep123 especially knowing I'll regain such precious time and energy. I really really really appreciate all the love from all of you. It was not an easy decision but I feel more confident that I'm doing the right thing.

@Jens_Hoes not sure the exact "guidance" but you could probably find some resources at kellymom. Maybe add a single pumping session a day for 3-6 weeks and then add a second as you get closer to work. 
  • lnds32lnds32 member
    edited June 2017
    @Jens_Hoes I would start by pumping once in the morning after LO eats. You produce the most milk overnight so pumping early in the day is the most useful for building a stash. Once you get that established you could add another session later in the day or pump one side if/when baby doesn't eat from that side or only eats briefly. One good thing to keep in mind is that you want your pumping sessions at work to be roughly the same time everyday to maximize how much you are getting. So what I am doing now is pumping at the time I imagine I will pump when to go back to work. For example, I will feed my baby around 6:30 am and then take my baby to daycare with my DS at 7:30. I start work at 9 so I will likely go back home and pump after I drop them off around 8-8:30. Then I know I will need to pump roughly 3 hours later (around lunch time) and then once more around 3:00-4 pm it's just something to keep in mind when you are thinking about the logistics. I pumped at work for over a year and I found I definitely got into a routine and that helped me maintain my supply and made it more manageable! Good luck!

edited because spelling is hard! 
  • SKZWSKZW member
     @Jens_Hoes: @lnds32 gives great advice! Trying a pumping session in the morning makes sense due to production patterns. Though I've heard the conventional wisdom, to wait til LO is about 4 wks old before pumping in order for your supply to self-regulate and even out. That said, I pumped before this timeframe without issue, so starting soon prolly wouldn't be horrible for you.
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @chailife34: It sounds like you were thorough and thoughtful in your decision-making process, and came to the right decision for you and Isaac. I'm happy for you that you've chosen a path and can be confident in walking it... and can set those worries to the side... to make room for all the other new stresses that newborns present to us!  ;)
  • Thanks everyone! I know I'm only 9 days PP so pumping for a stash is a bit in my future. However, with feeling so out of control lately, since my world is run by an infant, having a plan makes me feel less anxious. 
  • I feel terribly wasteful at the moment. I just called to schedule to have my hospital-grade pump picked up after a few weeks of no use. The free double electric pump my insurance sent me is still in the shipping box. I was reorganizing baby essentials and found my previous double electric pump I received for DS1 in its travel bag along with 2 unopened packages of sterile pump parts. We are huge donators to our local food bank and family services but we just dropped off a huge lot and i really dont feel like doing all of thst again in this heat. But, I also hate having a huge pile start up again. Also, even though I'm 99.9% sure we're done having children, I get super anxious thinking about letting these items go. 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @mrsrep123 solidarity sister. I am so scared and nervous about giving up baby stuff just in case but we're 99.99% sure we're done too. But still! It's hard to admit that and pass the clothing, pump supplies, everything on.
  • @chailife34 @mrsrep123 I feel the same way! I have so much stuff boy clothes 0 to 9 m boxes or random things. I'm still breast feeding but I have sooo much pumping stuff I'll need to get rid of in a year or less. I'm part of an exclusive pumping trading post on fb. I sold my unused spectra s2 already for 110 dollars. If your looking to get rid of your pump stuff it's a great group. I get throat anxious feeling thinking about getting rid of anything
  • @Yiggle09 What is the name of the group? I have a brand new unused Medela I might not need. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • What has everyone found to be the best way of freezing pumped milk? I was looking at the bags, but what if I only want 3oz and I only have full bags? I'm assuming I would have to defrost, halve then put the other half in the fridge and hope I need to use it?
    i was looking at getting some baby food freezer containers, they come in either 1oz or 3oz and then once they're frozen put them into either zip lock bags or the normal storage bags, but I'm not sure which size would be better, he has about 6oz a feed now so would I be better off with the bigger ones now? Or would the 1oz be better? I don't know  :#
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
  • With my last I filled the bags freeze and it worked out fine. I didn't need my freezer milk until he was older. I never wasted any milk, I used the milk to mix with oatmeal too.

If you want little 1oz blocks, I see people freeze the milk in ice cube trays and then put all the cubes in one large freezer bag (assuming you make them on the same date)