May 2017 Moms

Pumping Questions

13»

Re: Pumping Questions

• kat81kat81 member
    Long-Lasting Membership 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Photogenic
    Stupid FTM Question here...

When you guys discuss sanitizing parts, what's the process here? Buy one of those bags for the microwave? A special soap/solution for a soak in the sink? Bleach? hah! I'm struggling.
    At home I just dishwash the parts and leave it at that. It gets hot in there. I feel like they are sanitized.

At work if I want to use the same parts more than once (which is typically the case, even if I have two sets), I will often use both the wipes (medela and other brands) as well as then put them in the microwave bag. I won't do the microwave bag without rinsing them or using wipes first to get the milk off. But I've never had to wash with soap or anything at work. I just do a combination of those other things and considered that fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy20ticker
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I'm also kat81again2 and kat81_v3 but I finally found my original login information
  • I usually only sterilized when things were new.  I didn't sterilize at work because I just threw the used pump parts and bottles in a bag in the fridge and washed everything once at night.  

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Green
    vrj0522mdlorenz
  • Ugh I just called my insurance company and apparently my plan is grandfathered and they don't HAVE to adhere to ACA. Which means, a breast pump MIGHT not be covered. But there's no way to know until I purchase one and submit a claim....  :| I'm not even sure what to think about that. I'll have to discuss with my Dr. tomorrow.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Yiggle09Yiggle09 member
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    @ShadeofGreen816 im sorry to hear that. I hope you get reimbursement. 

I only sterilized with new things as well. I would soak things then wash, still do with ds sippy cups because we have a dishwasher in the basement apartment not in our actual kitchen.... so we hand wash everything every night. I think I read on a mommy hack page that you can use denture cleaning tablets to really clean those little parts of sippy cups but I have never done it. I use dishwashing gloves like in the 50s and that lets me turn the water heat on really high without hurting my hands so I still feel they are getting clean despite everything. 
  • clebl24clebl24 member
    500 Love Its 500 Comments Third Anniversary Photogenic
    Re sterilizing pump parts...

In the beginning, I'd clean with hot soapy water and then boil and air dry.  That got old really fast.

I still recommend boiling new parts to sterilize.

Eventally, I resorted to rinsing parts and then throwing them into dishwasher.  I handwashed membranes since they're small and delicate.  

During the work day, I'd rinse parts with boiling water (I kept an electric kettle in my office) or throw everything into a ziplock and store in fridge if I was in a time crunch.  
  • Alright, first-timer here with some potentially really stupid questions.

When you pump, does it go directly into a bottle?
    Do bottles still have liners? If so, and the answer to the previous question was yes, do the bottles you pump into also have liners?
    When you store milk, does it matter if you store it in bags or bottles?
    Lastly, can you just use any brand of storage bags, or would they need to match the bottles for some reason?
    jayandaplus
  • clebl24clebl24 member
    500 Love Its 500 Comments Third Anniversary Photogenic
    @starphish18

When you pump, does it go directly into a bottle?
    - You can pump directly into bottle or a bag, depending on system. I prefer to pump into bottle and transfer to freezer storage bag so I had a more accurate measurement. 

Do bottles still have liners?
    - Some do, I think this is a personal preference.  I never used liners.  

If so, and the answer to the previous question was yes, do the bottles you pump into also have liners?
    - I'm not sure since I never used liners.  

When you store milk, does it matter if you store it in bags or bottles?
    - Either works.  In the fridge I stored in bottles.  If you plan to build a stash, I recommend bags for the feeezer.  You'll run out of bottles or have to buy a lot of them.  Bags stack easily, take less room in the freezer, and defrost quicker.  

Lastly, can you just use any brand of storage bags, or would they need to match the bottles for some reason?
    - For storage purposes, any brand would work.  I used the Lansinoh storage bags.  I suggest defrosting in a clean ziplock to catch milk if you have a leak.  That way you don't lose your milk.  I'm not sue if you can interchange brands of liners and lined bottles. 
    starphish18hp_mommamdlorenzchickyclg
  • Ditto to everything @clebl24 said! 

I think the only bottles I know of that still use liners are the Playtex drop-ins. And I don't really know anyone who uses those! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
    starphish18vrj0522
  • I see some women make washing pump parts their H's job. I'm going to try to make this happen, I dont think it will, but I'll certainly try! Obviously they cant go in the dishwasher? :/
    I was thinking this was such a great Idea....but DH can't get any of our dishes clean without me having to re-wash them. So I don't think I can trust him with a pump. 
    mdlorenz
  • Anyone plan to express colostrum prior to delivery? I'm trying to figure out how that works, since I can't get my pump from insurance until after the baby is born. And because I have insulin controlled GD, there's a good chance baby could have low sugars at birth so it would be nice to have some colostrum on hand for that.  

So, hand expressing or buy a cheap hand pump? Since I'm being induced at 38 weeks, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try to start with the colostrum around that time. Best case scenario it triggers natural labor and I don't have to have induction. 
    mdlorenz
  • saric83saric83 member
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its 500 Comments Photogenic
    I EP'd, so I had lots of pumping pieces to wash.  I got the microwave bags and rarely used them.  During the day, I just rinsed them out after pumping and threw them in my milk fridge bag and kept doing that throughout the day.  I had the little wipes for whenever I was pumping in the car and wasn't going straight home.  At night, I took the membranes off and threw the rest in the dishwasher every night.  I had three sets, so I always had at least one that wasn't in the dishwasher.  
  • @fbmandy55 if you can get any colostrum before baby is born your best route would be hand expression. If you try to use a pump you will probably waste some of it since likely it will only be a tiny amount. You can hand express onto a spoon and then use a syringe to suck it up.

mdlorenzfbmandy55
  • @lrwardrop Thank you! I've watched some videos of hand expressing. I've had one boob that I've noticed keeps letting out a single drop but I don't want to start messing with it this early (33 weeks). 
  • Definitely recommend using aeroflow for anyone looking into getting the spectra s1, was able to go through insurance, pay an upgrade fee ($95), and all of this from them request to receiving the pump took about a week, they submit all request to insurance and to your doctor for prescription. They made the process so easy. They can also cover supplies for the pump through insurance that get sent out every 90 days, and will give you some free medela bottles (only downside is you will have to buy the converter attachment).  Don't normally recommend companies but figure for anyone else that feels stressed with may fast approaching this could help.

• Anyone use the Hygiea before? That's the one I got this time.  I have PISA that I used last time that I'll be using again but got a 2nd pump for work and wanted one that was compatible with madela parts which I was told the hygiea is.....

I also used YummyMummy for my pump with insurance and they are great to work with....

****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
13»