Infertility
Options

June TWW

Re: June TWW

• Options
    IlkyIlky member
    I know! I thought about that too. With our jobs and everything I dont think we can move though. I can't believe not all states mandate it. This is a basic human right! 
  • Options
    @Labluver2 fingers crossed that we get BFPs next week!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JWatt5JWatt5 member
    @Ilky - Lurking from PAIF - I still follow the pages a little bit here and just a question/suggestion. Are you unexplained IF or do you have PCOS? If you are unexplained and money is tight for IVF - giving Femara or injectable meds a go first maybe worth it.
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    IlkyIlky member
    edited June 2017
    @JWatt5 yes, we are unexplained. I tested this morning too (13dpo) and its ugly BFN! :( I could looki into Femara or injectibles but I feel like I might be wasting more time. I'm turning 35 in 6 months :(
  • Options
    @llky I just turned 38 and am doing IUI with injectables and I had low reserves my Dr said it can still happen. We can't afford ivf so this is our only option. If you can afford ivf or insurance helps then I would totally explore that option. I probably would have if I had the funds. I at least can say I tried something. I would try a few IUIs first tho your still young enough it can work. 
  • Options
    IlkyIlky member
    @Labluver2 unfortunately, our insurance doesn't cover a dime. We could afford the IVF, not easily but could get a loan or something. I wish it wasnt that expensive here where I live. Doctors see you as a business, and dont care about you at all. Ugh! I'm sorry, I'm so negative and bitter today. I ovulate just fine even without medication and with IUI I had multiple follicles. But, I'm not sure whats the difference between clomid and femara/injectables. . 
  • Options
    Got my progesterone results and they were 19 this time so no supplements!!!! Just need to get thru the next week Beta on the 15th. 
  • Options
    @brooklyngirl18 - Congratulations!  <3

@Ilky - I'm sorry for the BFN. I think a lot of doctors don't always do injectables with IUI because they are much more expensive than clomid/femara and you run the risk of overstimulating/having to cancel cycles due to too many follicles. In your situation I'd probably talk to my RE and see if they thought a 4th IUI was worth it. After 3-4 IUIs if it's a possibility for you (which it sounds like it is) I think IVF is the best option. 

@Labluver2 - yay for no supplements! 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    nim81nim81 member
    Ilky said:
    @kristimh80 that's nice you are trying to be positive. IVF is not only invasive its also very costly. Its over $25K here in southern california. I was thinking if we end up doing it, maybe we should consider doing it abroad. Even with travel costs it would be cheaper than here. Ugh! 
    Yeah IVF is very expensive. Where in southern california are you at? I'm in southern California as well.
  • Options
    IlkyIlky member
    @nim81 I live/work in Irvine. How about you? A while ago I asked in this forum where everyone lived so we could create an in-person support group.
  • Options
    nim81nim81 member
    Ilky said:
    @nim81 I live/work in Irvine. How about you? A while ago I asked in this forum where everyone lived so we could create an in-person support group.
    I'm in Fallbrook near San Diego. What clinic are you going to?
  • Options
    IlkyIlky member
    Dr. Anderson in Newport Beach.
  • Options
    nim81nim81 member
    Ilky said
    Dr. Anderson in Newport Beach.
    Oh okay. I used to go to HRC in oceanside/newport beach for TI. 
  • Options
    @Labluver2 that's great! My first iui my progesterone was low and ended in chemical so they put me on supplements as a precaution this time for the whole 2 week wait. I didn't need estrace this time so I thought that was an added plus!
  • Options
    greenhillgirlgreenhillgirl member
    edited June 2017
    @kristimh80 I hate how expensive and unattainable IVF is for so many people. It's worth mentioning that even when you have infertility coverage it doesn't mean IVF is included. To my knowledge there is no state that mandates IVF coverage for all employers. Mandating ART also doesn't mean IVF coverage. It means diagnosis and some treatment. I'm  in NY and because It's a small group plan they aren't allowed to offer IVF. They cover IUI 100% but no IVF. DH insurance has some IVF coverage but lots of rules and hoops for 75% coverage. At least it's a future possibility. Ugh. 

Im in the two week wait too. I did my first IUI on the 6th and am instructed to take a HPT on the 21st. I have a question that may be silly. Is there a reason people test out the trigger shot or other hormone medications? If I know I'm not supposed to test until 6/21 I can't see testing out but I wasn't sure. Interesting my clinic doesn't do beta. 

Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    J1006J1006 member
    @greenhillgirl. I think it's just a preference in testing out the trigger. My doctor didn't instruct me to do so, but I wanted to be sure that if I got a BFP it was a true BFP not just due to the trigger shot. It also makes the TWW a little more bearable for me. Once I see the tests go negative (usually 7 days after trigger) I'll try to wait until 14 dpIUI to take another one.  I can usually hold out until 12 dpIUI. I was instructed not to use FRER until 14 dpIUI, this rule I do follow. I just bought a bunch of cheapies on Amazon to do other testing. 

My clinic won't do a beta outright either. I just have to wait until I get a BFP then they will do a blood test to confirm. 
  • Options
    JWatt5JWatt5 member
    @Ilky - I'm so sorry! - BFNs are the worst, totally get it! You're still young - I know 35 makes you feel like that clock is ticking but there's still time! 

There's a huge difference between clomid and injectables (other than the cost) - especially when it comes to maturing a follicle and boosting your E2 levels. Consider talking to your RE and read a few studies. If you were ovulating on your own during testing/that's not the problem, it's another option that may work. since I was ovulating normally & my ovarian reserve was still fairly normal i was told it was my best shot/most aggressive treatment before IVF. (Clomid is really best of you don't ovulate).
    Another thing I really stand by is going on the Fertility diet. https://natural-fertility-info.com/fertility-diet/comment-page-1#comments  If anything DH and I both lost that bit of extra weight and feel better/have more energy - it's an adjustment but it's been great for us. 
    Just a couple ideas that may help if IVF isn't an option. Good luck, there's always hope - do something special for yourself, relax this weekend and then regroup **hugs**
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    @greenhillgirl I'd be so happy with any fertility coverage really! I feel like I threw $2500 down the drain last month. More $ that could have been saved for IVF. Oh well...everything will work itself out in the long run and it'll all be worth it! :) 

I tested out my trigger after just to see if the cheap hcg tests I had would work later...luckily I did because I now know they aren't sensitive and not to rely on them.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Options
    @kristimh80  and anyone considering IVF for the first time--I thought I'd thrown in my experience in case it helps anyone. I'm on the Attain program. For me (at my age with my diagnosis), I get 2 cycles with unlimited fresh or frozen transfers. (Of course, at 39, it's not likely I'd end up with many to transfer.) It seems like the cost of Attain depends on your age and dx.

Meds, pgs, and any appointments outside the usual (monitoring/retrieval/transfer) are extra. The Attain program alone cost us $24700.

I believe that if you are younger (under 37 or 38) and no diagnosis (other than unexplained infertility), you may qualify for their refund program. If you don't have a take home baby after a number of tries, you may be eligible for money back. I didn't look into it much because I am already over the age, but I believe that is an option for Attain. There are also IVF grants out there. Worth looking into!

Ilky A friend just did IVF in Vancouver BC. They rented an Airbnb and stayed there through the retrieval, fertilization, and until their embryos were frozen. She went back up for the transfer later. I believe she said it was almost half the cost of IVF in her state. She is currently 8 or 9 weeks pregnant, I believe!

• Options
    @Sugarbreak Thanks so much!! I'm actually on the way to consult with my doctor now. My drs office does the Attain Program so I've been researching it. I like the idea of more chances it offers. I'm unexplained infertility, Dr thinks maybe I don't always ovulate on my own due to high amh, but unclear because cycles are normal and nothing else is wrong. So we will see what today brings! Thank a so much again for reaching out to me!!!  <3
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• Options
    IlkyIlky member
    @jwatt5 and @Sugarbreak thank you both! I already have dietary restrictions (gluten, dairy, sugar, most carbs free) so there isn't much for me to cut back. I'll check out the Attain Program, never heard of it. Also @Sugarbreak, do you know which clinic your friend went to? Vancouver is not that far. I'm Turkish so I was thinking maybe I should go there. The cost of IVF is 10% of what it would cost here. But, its too far and I'll need to take 3 weeks of from work. So many decisions. I wish we never needed to consider these. Everything is heartbreaking and dont know how long I can take more before breaking apart. :(

• Options
    Had a follow-up consult with my doctor this morning following 3 failed cycles with meds & IUI's. She said we could do another 2 IUI's, but IVF will be the most beneficial for us, plus will allow the opportunity of using frozen embryos for the future. So now just trying to figure out everything and figure out what the next steps are. Meeting with financial counselor next week to find out costs, etc. I never realized it could take 2 1/2 - 3 months for the IVF process, guess due to PGS testing and doing frozen vs fresh. My DH already warned me how I'd have to be patient lol  :|
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• Options
    IlkyIlky member
    @kristimh80 do you know what's the difference between using fresh vs. frozen?
  • Options
    @kristimh80 What are you leaning toward and what does your doc think? It's a tough decision for sure! For me, I was 38 when we started looking into ART. With my history and age, it made sense to go straight into IVF.

@IIky I'll ask about my friend which clinic she went to and let you know! If you're Turkish, it might be worth taking the time off and doing it there. Although I do understand that the time off is a big commitment to make. 

Frozen transfer is when they freeze the embryos at day 5 to transfer at a later date. This is usually done if you have multiple embryos and/or want to have them PGS or PGD tested. Fresh transfer is when they go ahead and transfer them on day 3 or day 5, post-transfer. There are considerations to make for both methods. 

I had planned to do PGS with this last cycle, but I only ended up with one day 5 blastocyst embryo. I decided it would be best to fresh transfer it rather than freeze and test, which would've been an extra 2k.
  • Options
    @Ilky the clinic is Pacific Centre for Reproductive Medicine 
  • Options
    @Sugarbreak Leaning towards going ahead into IVF. I'm already 37, so close you in a age. My doctor was pretty sure IVF was the best method seeing I don't always ovulate on my own and thinks I may have PCOS. Meeting next week with the clinic's financial adviser, then hopefully we will have a better idea the best route to go. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• Options
    IlkyIlky member
    @sugarbreak thank you! I just checked their website and IVF is $11,500 canadian dollars excluding medication. I have a co-worker who ordered all her medication from the UK and it only cost her about $4,000. If I do something like this it will be $15K cheaper than my clinic  :/
  • Options
    kristimh80kristimh80 member
    edited June 2017
    @Ilky Check into Compassionate Care and DesignRx First Steps programs. You can sign up online and all they need is your Tax return and will tell you how much of a medication discount you are approved for. Your office may have similar programs. I just signed up today and waiting to hear back. I figure any help would be amazing!

TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• Options
    @katherind I hope it's your bfp!
  • Options
    mockingjay1mockingjay1 member
    edited June 2017
    @katherind - FX it's an even darker line tomorrow and that your betas are great!

@Aera11 - Hope the TWW goes quickly for you and you get your BFP!
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    @katherind hoping this is the BFP for you!!!! 

AFM I'm 12dpiui beta is Thursday but I don't know if I want to test or not. I think I'll just let them do it without knowing. I'm feeling nothing right now which worries me tho everyone says it's too early but I just want something to show me I have hope. We are taking next cycle off if this one doesn't work for a mental break.
  • Options
    IlkyIlky member
    Ok ladies. I need advise. I'm 16dpiui and no AF but internet cheapie tests are negative. I did my beta on Friday at a different lab with my insurance because didn't want to pay $210 to my REs office. Big mistake. Now I'm anxious don't know why would AF be delayed. It happened before but only when I was on progesterone. This cycle I didn't take any. I should get the test results tomorrow but it's so hard to wait. What do you ladies think, is there still a sliver of hope? I know probably my mind is tricking my body because I really dread IVF but oh I'm so confused. 
  • Options
    @IIky that happened to me last cycle I'm always right on time with AF so I should have gotten it the day before or day of my beta and I didn't get it til 3 days later which was 19DPIUI. I hate how your body plays tricks on you even after my beta was BFN I was holding on to some hope it was wrong and I implanted late. I wasn't on progesterone either so I'm guessing stress nerves worry. Your not out til AF shows. 
  • Options
    @Labluver2 I am right there with you. My beta is Tuesday. I am not going to test either although that's all I could think about today!! The only thing I have been feeling are on and off mild cramps and fatigue but this certainly can be because of AF or the progesterone I am on. I am trying to stay so hopeful!
  • Options
    @bpietronicco fx for you. It's so hard not  to test but either way its a dissapointent when you get a BFN. Up until this morning I've just had sore boobs they felt heavy and like they are sunburned, bloating and tired like been in bed by 7pm tired. This mornING I woke up with cramping,headache and lower back ache which I get normally right before AF.
  • Options
    @Labluver2 fx for you too! Hopefully they are pregnancy symptoms! I would rather the nurse tell me it's negative then see another negative test.
  • Options
    @bpietronicco same here its something about waiting and hoping that you see a second line and it never comes. If/when I get a BFP after its confirmed by beta I'll poas!!!