October 2017 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread - 06/2017

I've been saving a lot of them waiting for someone to start a new thread, so I'm just starting it myself. Here are two to kick it off:

How long is it okay to leave the baby home alone in the crib? I would think a minute to check the mail is fine, but an hour to run an errand is too long. Where is the line between okay and not okay? 

I just signed up for my prenatal classes and I'm wondering if I need to drag DH with to the breastfeeding one. I will insist he go to Childbirth Prep and Newborn Care, but breastfeeding seems less relevant for him. 

Re: Stupid Questions Thread - 06/2017

• @roo_baby +1 What a great question. I never even thought about that. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • 2nding everyone else, I wouldn't leave my my yard without my baby. No comment on the classes because I'm a rebel and didn't do any.
    October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • @roo_baby someone around here left their toddler sleeping on a couch, went to take their other kid to school and in that time, the house caught fire and killed the kid. Dad went to jail for child endangerment resulting in death. You CANNOT leave your baby home alone EVER. 

On that note, you also never leave your baby alone in the car. Not even to run into the gas station or something quick. I only JUST started leaving my kids in the car when I run into the post office to drop mail in the box, but my oldest is 8, I lock the doors with my extra key fob and it's after hours, so no one else is around. And it's literally less than a minute. 
  • H is good to bring not only so he knows. But also if you forget something he might remember. 
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • Agree with pps. Home alone? Never. I don't even leave my nine year old home alone yet and I'm fairly laid back in this area (my kids have been left car while I run o pay gas, drop one off somewhere etc, with the car running on autostart and doors locked.). I will get the mail, go in the yard, but house is always in sight and I never drive anywhere.  
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• shan24shan24 member
    Never home alone. I'll go outside, but stay on my property (a regular, town sized lot) or maybe step into the neighbour's yard to chat a minute (within the monitor's range), but never not within eyesight of my house. Too risky. 

I went to my BF class alone, but there were a couple of dads there and the lactation consultant was thrilled!  She said that it's important for dads to have the info and gave them lots of tips on how to support mom. 
  • jessafishyjessafishy member
    edited June 2017
    If you are within baby monitor distance you are probably good. (But this is coming from anxiety girl who didn't even like leaving the room when DS was super tiny.)

BF class - meh. You could bring him just so he knows what kind of commitment it is, maybe? Having his support can really make or break your success with breastfeeding.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Stupid question: can the baby be harmed or is there any reason to worry about putting the bassinet/crib directly under the ceiling fan or in the path of the AC vents?

trying to figure out bassinet placement in our master bedroom for the first few weeks/months and the only space big enough that will still let me easily go to the bathroom without crawling over DH is at the foot of the bed. 
    **April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lol our fan is on full blast right now because I am running as hot as DH nowadays. And he will toss and turn all night if the AC is above 72 so I guess I should try to find another spot. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pizzamonster3 good question! I keep meaning to ask that about tower fans, too. I'm not worried about it being too cold, we live in South Florida, trust me it's not too cold. I'm more concerned with the possibility that the airstream from the fan could blow something bad into baby's lungs. We definitely won't have the fans pointed at baby, but to have the room in any kind of sleepable condition we need fans. The ac isn't enough.

• I'm so glad we aren't due during the summer!!! 

• @bluejeanbabi05 before this very recent development of me being hot all the damn time, I was going to buy DH his own tower fan for his side of the bed because I would freeze at night and he'd be sweating. Might still do it for when my hormones settle down. But still leaves me battling the AC vents arg

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PizzaMonster3 I would avoid it if you can. I think some co-sleepers and basinets have canopy-type things that could help keep the air off baby's face. Or you may just be able to change the direction of the vent. 
  • We keep ours not quite but semi under the ceiling fan which we run every night regardless of temp haha. I don't have AC so I can't weigh in on that  :'(
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • As a STM I should know the answer to this, but I'm second guessing myself. How long do these LOs stay in newborn clothes, aka, how much newborn stuff do I really need? I swear DD was in newborn stuff for 6-8 weeks, but as I'm doing inventory the clothes just seem soooo tiny. I have a decent stash, just trying to decide if I should be wasting my money on newborn or 0-3 mo. stuff.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • shan24shan24 member
    @beezeemarie my kid never wore NB clothes. He was born too big for them already  :o
  • VLillyVVLillyV member
    edited June 2017
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I haven't gotten too much hands on experience answers:

If you breast feed, and possibly formula feed to supplement due to childcare, should you or could you give your baby water? **ETA: In addition to the breast milk or formula?
  • beezeeebeezeee member
    edited June 2017
    No water before 6 months. Doesn't matter if your BFing or FFing.
    This. After 6 months is generally ok though, whether you're BFing or FFing. We usually gave DD water to practice with a sippy cup during meals (after 6 months, while she was eating baby food), and then gave her milk/formula between meals and MOTN.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • @PizzaMonster3 with our last baby, we didn't have any way to arrange our room to keep the co-sleeper out of the flow of the window a/c. I pointed the vents as far away as possible, but it still blew on the co-sleeper, so I put blankets over the side to keep the air off of her and kept her in warm pajamas and a warm blanket 
  • What about the cosleeper at the bottom of the bed? Lol I'm sure it will be on my side of the bed, but if we are trading turns feeding at night there's a better chance he'll get LO if its not on my side...
  • Can you use a jogging stroller for an infant? What stroller's would you recommend?
  • VLillyV said:
    Can you use a jogging stroller for an infant? What stroller's would you recommend?
    I'm not a jogging stroller expert by any means, but yes I own a jogging stroller and yes I used it when DD was an infant. I originally purchased a Graco click connect travel system and quickly discovered I hated the stroller i got. I purchased a graco fast action fold click connect jogger and because it was a click connect the car seat still snapped into the jogger.

i would reccomend it if you're not actually jogging lol I've read reviews that this one kind of sucks for that but for long walks (which is all I do) it's great.

i would start with whatever infant car seat you like and see what is compatible stroller wise.

but I'm sure there are some other jogging stroller experts in this group that know more than I do haha

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Does a baby really need a mobile? I'm not planning to get one, but want to make sure I'm not creating any sort of long-term emotional damage. 
  • @roo_baby but mobiles are so cuuuute

• @VLillyV I exclusively BF'ed and on hotter days I offered more boob. No water until I introduced solids at 5.5 months. And it was via teaspoon, boiled and cooled. I switched to tap I think around 10months.
    @roo_baby DS enjoyed the mobile from about 2 months old.

**June Siggy Challenge: You Had ONE Job!**

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @roo_baby you definitely don't need a mobile, but I like them for decor. I put DD's above her changing table (a dresser with a changing pad on it), and she loved watching it while getting her diaper changed.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave