August 2017 Moms

Postpartum Care Thread

Re: Postpartum Care Thread

• I know several of y'all have touched on PPD but seriously, it can be brutal. I had it for probably 3 months before I realized I had it. And refused help for another 3 after that. Be sure that your partner knows the signs.

Side note, remember that you still look 6 months pregnant after you give birth so don't bring your pre-baby clothes to the hospital and expect to wear them out. (Unless you're a unicorn).
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • NxyNxy member
    morgy_bee said:

Nxy said:
    What does the lavender do in the padsicles?
    It helps soothe the sting/pain
    When I make mine I'll just add something different because I'm allergic to lavender. I didn't make any last time so I wasn't sure. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @britvahok Very lucky on bleeding and the poop! I remember being so anxious and scared bec they said I couldn't leave the hospital till I pooped. I was like WHHHATTT? Oh God, help me poop please! And when I got home I slept in the downstairs guest room bec the murphy bed was lower than our bed upstairs. I bled for almost 2 weeks! ugggh!

The crazy part was I never knew what to expect POST delivery so I was naive and excited. Now I'm scared and anxious for post delivery! I'm making my post delivery shopping list from this thread and plan to shop this weekend. Esp making PADSICLES. Now that you know what to expect and remember the events from 1st birth, it's like daunting lol. I wish I was active on the bump threads with DS in 2014!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Amen to what @aehogan90 said. I went back on Paxil 2 weeks post partum for anxiety and I sometimes wonder if it masked some symptoms. At about 5 months PP, I had a horrible breakdown. It was right around Thanksgiving and it was horrible. Winter is usually rough on me and I was not prepared at all for handling the stress of the holidays with an infant on top of everything else.  I've been on meds this whole pregnancy except for a few days when I tried to go off. I took Zoloft and am now on buspar for the remainder. I'll start back on Zoloft as soon as baby is born. 

I'm a person who needs my space and I got very overwhelmed with all the guests we had. Don't be afraid to take a minute for yourself or sneak off with baby. Don't let anyone make you feel like you owe them anything. Take care of yourself and don't be afraid to talk to someone if you need to. 
  • Amen to what @aehogan90 said. I went back on Paxil 2 weeks post partum for anxiety and I sometimes wonder if it masked some symptoms. At about 5 months PP, I had a horrible breakdown. It was right around Thanksgiving and it was horrible. Winter is usually rough on me and I was not prepared at all for handling the stress of the holidays with an infant on top of everything else.  I've been on meds this whole pregnancy except for a few days when I tried to go off. I took Zoloft and am now on buspar for the remainder. I'll start back on Zoloft as soon as baby is born. 

I'm a person who needs my space and I got very overwhelmed with all the guests we had. Don't be afraid to take a minute for yourself or sneak off with baby. Don't let anyone make you feel like you owe them anything. Take care of yourself and don't be afraid to talk to someone if you need to. 
    I'm so glad you said this. I have this fear with all the visitors we're going to have (main visitors being DH's parents staying with us for 2 weeks), that I'm going to feel like I need to host and "share" the baby since they're only here for a short period. The thought of it is already upsetting. I'm going to remember that it's okay to sneak away - maybe use breastfeeding as an excuse even if she's not hungry!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 I have the exact same fear, and it's honestly my #1 motivation to breastfeed. And we are being super "mean" and not letting anyone stay at our house for this reason. It gives me anxiety just thinking about it. 
  • @secicc12 we had so many visitors, many unannounced, and I got very overwhelmed. Most of them were DHs family because they live nearby.  His mom was a huge help, doing laundry, bringing meals, etc,  but she over-nurtures. Every time I would try to sneak off, sh would follow me because she thought something was wrong. This time I will tell her I need space.  Her daughter is due just before me so hopefully she'll spend more time with her. I'm also not going to be afraid to tell people I need space this time.
  • Nxy said:
    morgy_bee said:

Nxy said:
    What does the lavender do in the padsicles?
    It helps soothe the sting/pain
    When I make mine I'll just add something different because I'm allergic to lavender. I didn't make any last time so I wasn't sure. 
    It's completely optional! You don't have to add any essential oil!
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    Echoing the postpartum anxiety info - don't be afraid to bring it up to your doctor. In fact, definitely bring it up. I typically have bad anxiety while pregnant but my second pregnancy I had anxiety that continued after he was born (pacing in the hospital postpartum room because I was too anxious to sleep), so I went on zoloft when he was a week old. I was able to breast feed on it as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• Thank you to everyone who took time to respond to my question about DH taking time off work (@mrsashworth522 @bumpybump @shyviolet @OTmom3 @PinkPrincessPiper). I guess I should have stated that DH is not planning on taking any time off after I am discharged from the hospital so that would be 2-4 days? He may have the option to work from home a select few days a week and I'm hoping that he will be able to do that at the very least! 

@southernmama15 Thank you! I did not read into your reply at all! My in-laws (plus 9 year old SIL) live 20 minutes away and are chomping at the bit to help where needed and 3 sets of DH's cousins/spouses live in the same townhouse complex as us so we have plenty of help if needed. I don't want DH to regret not taking the time off immediately after I have our LO. He is in a super competitive field and they unfortunately do not value families or paternity leave. Luckily his boss is due in July and that may give us some insight on what is considered acceptable in terms of pat leave. 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @BlackNYellow I'm glad you have help nearby! And I'm glad he may have the option to work from home, some. I know DH just about cried when he went back to work and checked on us every minute he got. DS had the witching hour right as he would get home and poor DH thought he hated him  :'(
  • JWatt5JWatt5 member
    Natracare Maternity Pads are what was recommended my midwife instructor and OB - nice and breathable. We used them to make my sisters padsicles and they worked great (according to her hehe - she had a 4th degree tear) I just got two boxes in - they're soooo long hehe. Grabbed a pack of their overnight ones too and nursing pads. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• JWatt5JWatt5 member
    Also - these are all great recommendations! I feel like the more prepared item/foodwise I am the easier life may be when we get home - less to have to think about! Thank you!! 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• I don't think anyone shared this but I found Lucies List pretty helpful....here is the link on postpartum care. They cover both vaginal and c-section.

https://www.lucieslist.com/postpartum/taking-care-of-you/
  • I love Lucies List...I have been prepping for my PP care, but I also read about getting the house prepped so I am doing that a bit. Extra tp, paper towels, paper plates, cups, so you don't have to worry and if you have guests it goes quicker. We stocked up on everything for the dog so we don't have to worry. I am making and stocking up on some freezer meals as well. Snacks/drinks esp since I plan on BF and they say you need a lot of fuel for that. Trying to make the first few weeks easy so we can focus on baby and not errands.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I love Lucies List...I have been prepping for my PP care, but I also read about getting the house prepped so I am doing that a bit. Extra tp, paper towels, paper plates, cups, so you don't have to worry and if you have guests it goes quicker. We stocked up on everything for the dog so we don't have to worry. I am making and stocking up on some freezer meals as well. Snacks/drinks esp since I plan on BF and they say you need a lot of fuel for that. Trying to make the first few weeks easy so we can focus on baby and not errands.
    Yes to the paper goods. We used a ton of paper towels and had them in the kitchen and bathrooms instead of hand towels. Also, we had hand sanitizer everywhere 
  • tova24tova24 member
    @smallbutmighty77 I have been making a list of things for the house too! I added shampoo/conditioner, plastic silverware, wet wipes, etc. I love making lists! 
  • Ohhh @littlebug2010 I love the sound of that app! Thanks for the info! I was just going to start making a master list of all the stuff that has to get done.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mango517  DH and I have run into some bugs with it, occasionally, but because its google, everything gets fixed super fast.  I just love that we can share the notes with each other (how we make our grocery list), and that you can use it on desktop as well. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • tova24tova24 member
    I use Wunderlist. Has been really great and integrates well with Mac and windows. 
  • NxyNxy member
    We also use wunderlist 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @littlebug2010 that sounds like the best app ever!
  • This was just posted on a local mom's group near me. Please be aware this could be signs of Postpartum Anxiety and could turn into Postpartum Depression. Yes, it's normal to worry about your child but this is excessive. The 30 comments are also helpin her know this. Sharing for educational purposes. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    I need that app in my life!
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• @littlebug2010 DH and I use google keep too! It's awesome. I love the checkbox feature so you can see what you've accomplished without it getting deleted (until you want to). 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • PSA: Postpartum care items at a discount (35% off) through Saturday at Target. (prices can vary based on location)

Always Radiant Pads 22 ct - $6.99
    Tucks 100 ct - $6.59
    Dermoplast Spray - $6.49

Total: $20.07
    Minus $2 coupon on Tucks box
    FREE $5 gift card for spending $20 on Health Care items

Overall total = $13.07

Ends Saturday

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• katie0541katie0541 member
    edited July 2017
    @bumpybump thank you!! I was debating buying this stuff in case I end up having a C section (not the plan) and then i wouldn't need it and so wondered if it would be a waste to buy it before delivery but this makes it easier. Thank you!
  • @kaityrj you can always return unopened items. That's what I did last time around. I'm a VBAC hopeful so I bought it this time again. You'll need pads no matter what. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I was sent home with enough tucks and dermoplast to last me. I hope that's the case again because I have not bought any myself and don't plan to. 
  • Sorry if this has already been posted, but what pads are you planning on using after delivery?  I can't remember which provides the best coverage.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @MetsGirl18 I used the Always Radiant Overnight pads. They're thin, flexible, and absorbant. But any thin overnight ones should work fine. 
    Some people are also going with Depends. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• tova24 said:
    I went to a birthing class taught by a doula and she recommended Lansinoh TheraPearl 3 in 1 breast therapy pads. Has anyone tried these before? It says you can freeze them or heat them up. 
    I used them when LO was a few weeks old. Loved them. I actually threw them away before I found out I was pregnant and you just reminded me I need to buy some. 
  • Has anyone used a belly bandit wrap? Are they useful or a waste?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    Thanks @bvoisey! I bought a pack and will see how I like them 
  • katie0541katie0541 member
    edited July 2017
    For the dermoplast, someone else mentioned to get the blue bottle. I only saw the red bottle (said it was antibacterial), has anyone used that?

Also- brands of stool softeners that worked really well? How much do I need/how long did you take it for?
  • @caity024 I plan on belly wrapping PP but I'm a FTM so can't speak to it. I bought the Shrinx brand off Amazon because it was cheaper.
  • edited July 2017
    Kaityrj said:

Also- brands of stool softeners that worked really well? How much do I need/how long did you take it for?
    Generic colace. You usually take one or two tabs a day. I took it for quite a bit, idk how long, but I know it was like six months til I could poop without pain at my tear site. 
  • caity024 said:
    Has anyone used a belly bandit wrap? Are they useful or a waste?
    If you end up having a c section, some sort of belly wrap is a must-have. With DD I got mine from the hospital, but I had to ask for it. I wore it for about a month, especially while sleeping. 
  • @tova24 I bought the lanisoh 3in1 pearl pads but they weren't much help for me. All my pain was in my nipples! ALL THE PAIN! I used the gel pads from the hospital over my nipples much more. I have heard women who have pain in the rest of their breast enjoy those pads though

@caity024 I bought a belly bandit this time around because I read that they help so much with recovery after a c section. I didn't have one after my last c section so I'm hoping this will help give me support, help with recovery and getting my body to get back to normal quicker. We shall see