August 2017 Moms

Postpartum Care Thread

After the delivery, you'll need to take care of yourself as a Mom's health is just as important as your baby's. This thread will help you figure out what you need for your postpartum care. Needs (products) do vary depending on the type of delivery you'll have, vagionally or via csection. Also welcome is discussion around PPD, baby blues, weight loss, etc. 

***TW in Siggy***
Me: 34 / DH: 33
Married: Nov 2011
TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Postpartum Care Thread

• LOVE this thread. Thanks for starting, @bumpybump!

FTM planning a home birth, so I'm clearly no expert, but I'm at a higher risk for PPD/PPA and I'm definitely a little worried about it. I'm still on my anxiety meds through pregnancy (per OB, midwife and psychiatrist's recommendations), but will also do the following things to hopefully mitigate the risk. These have been suggested by my midwife and acupuncturist.
    • encapsulate placenta (there's only really anecdotal evidence here, but that's plenty for me. Can't hurt.)
    • eat lots of dark leafy greens and beets the weeks leading up to delivery to keep my blood supply high, which could help with the 48-hour hormone crash
    • eat lots of liver pre-delivery, which I can't stand, so taking desiccated liver capsules (same reasoning as above)
    • midwives are on high alert the days and weeks following my delivery, as is DH, and they'll administer the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression scale a few times post delivery to help them monitor it
  • Loading the player...
  • Those suggestions are really great @mrsmatt1212 I just read an article about the link between iron deficiency and PPD. 

How long did your SO/DH take off after your baby was born? My DH is not planning on taking any time off (it's highly frowned upon in his field, unfortunately). Would you STM+ recommend he try to take at least a few days? I feel like that would be reasonable, especially if I end up having a C-section! 

The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @BlackNYellow DH gets 10 days paid leave off after the baby comes. But his boss is also extremely flexible and said as long as he's making mission, he can kind of do whatever, he just has to be available. As a FTM I'm very happy he for sure gets the 10 days because I have no idea what to expect lol
  • @BlackNYellow I would suggest your DH take at least a couple days. My DH will take 2 weeks but he can also do some work from home if needed. He took 2 weeks last time as well. Having the father take some time also helps you all bond as a family. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @BlackNYellow as much as you are going to want him to be there, I'm going to straight up tell you, he's going to want to be there, too.  DH gets 2 weeks parental leave from his company, but had to leave the day after DS was born for 2 nights and 3 days for work training that couldn't be made up. He had no clue until he left how tough it would be.  

Also, I just had another thought for postpartum item to have on hand, stain remover. You're going to get lovely blood stains on your undies, pajamas, sheets, etc.  They had these paper covers at the hospital that they put on the bed for you to sit on or sleep with it under your bottom, I brought some home with me. When I ran out, I put a dark towel in the bed when I slept. 
  • @morgy_bee I feel like I'm missing the most important part of your post haha...it's imperative to do what for 1-2 minutes? Assuming let them sit so it's not straight up ice? 
  • lewlivlewliv member
    @morgy_bee Changing diaper while nursing? You're my hero. 
  • @BlackNYellow  DH took 3 weeks with DS and will take 3 weeks again.  I had a bad tear and required a lot of stitches and it made my recovery more difficult then I expected.  I can remember at the end of week 2 thinking I didn't know how I was going to manage when he went back to work in a week, but after 3 weeks I was ready.  I also know I am exceedingly lucky DH has the ability to take that much time off. 

I second @morgy_bee recommendation on the padsicles.  I ended up making a second batch because they were so helpful.  

To add to what everyone else has listed:
    -postpartum witch hazel spray
    -postpartum sitz bath herbs
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @BlackNYellow also, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad if he can't, it's just that a lot of men don't realize how attached they get. My mom came and stayed with me so he took one week off and then used the other later on. He thought he'd do the same this time, but I reminded him I'd need him for 2 weeks since I'm having another c section and won't be able to drive to my appointment or the baby's pediatrician appointments. Also, I'm pretty sure with both vaginal delivery and c sections, you're not allowed to lift anything heavier than baby in the carrier for several weeks. Do you have family nearby that can help if he's unable to take time off?
  • @morgy_bee

I Would never be able to change a baby while nursing. It took both hands to position my giant saggy boobs so I wasn't suffocating the baby. I also had an oversupply of milk and had to lean back so baby wasn't constantly choking.

But that is seriously impressive! I just imagine myself getting pooped and peed on constantly. 

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    Those suggestions are really great @mrsmatt1212 I just read an article about the link between iron deficiency and PPD. 

How long did your SO/DH take off after your baby was born? My DH is not planning on taking any time off (it's highly frowned upon in his field, unfortunately). Would you STM+ recommend he try to take at least a few days? I feel like that would be reasonable, especially if I end up having a C-section! 

@BlackNYellow, my first was born on a Thursday and my DH started teaching summer school that Monday. I had a c-section as well, so the first two mornings that he was teaching my ILs came over to help/let me sleep a little. By Wednesday I felt like I had it under control and could handle the steps just fine with carrying the baby, so I did it alone. Granted he was only away for about 5-6 hours a day.
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    I found that maxi dresses were the most comfortable thing to wear after my c-section as well as the granny panties that the hospital provided me. After my vaginal birth I was comfy in regular underwear and yoga pants. Might be good to have one of each to bring to the hospital for going home in just in case.
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• NxyNxy member
    What does the lavender do in the padsicles?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Repeat cesarean here. This will be my 4th c-section. :#

I've been preparing my postpartum bag. Here are my must haves:

-Always extra-long, ultra thin pads. The ones my hospital provides are bulky, and I'm shooting for comfort this time around. 
    -A stack of boy-short style panties. I'm just taking a some older pairs that are bigger-fitting, and can just be disposed after. 
    -Stool softener. 
    -I'm going to buy a pack of puppy pads for when I get home for surfaces I lay or sit on (they provide something similar at the hospital). 
    -Taking home a peri-bottle or two from the hospital. 

@BlackNYellow My DH only plans to take a week of vacation time, but since I'm having a RCS & this is baby #4, I'm definitely going to need him there (and of course he'll want that time to bond with baby). 
  • @PinkPrincessPiper I forgot about larger sized underwear.  I sent my mom out last time to buy the next size up for me.  That little extra room is nice for the first few weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @morgy_bee I feel like I'm missing the most important part of your post haha...it's imperative to do what for 1-2 minutes? Assuming let them sit so it's not straight up ice? 
    Let them thaw or else it will be like sticking your tongue to a metal pole  :o
  • shyviolet said:
    @PinkPrincessPiper I forgot about larger sized underwear.  I sent my mom out last time to buy the next size up for me.  That little extra room is nice for the first few weeks.
    I've actually lost over 30 lbs this pregnancy, so I have a pack of bigger sized boyshorts that I already bought at the start of this pregnancy. I figure they'll fit by the time I'm 9mos/PP. My hospital provides the oh-so-sexy mesh panties, but  I want to be as comfy as possible this time. Cotton for the win. 

• Nxy said:
    What does the lavender do in the padsicles?
    It helps soothe the sting/pain
  • @SouthernMama15 peroxide takes out blood stains! 

• @morgy_bee yes! I used that as well as feed stain spray,  that will get anything out!
  • Would anyone recommend using depends (or similar product) after delivery? I just think they might be more comfortable than a pad and convenient for a little while. Or at least at night when a shifting pad might leak all over the place. 

One food item I plan to have on hand is lots and lots of homemade chicken bone broth. It's seriously the most restorative thing on the planet for me. Chock full of good for you stuff in there that's perfect for a healing body. 

I took some serious notes from this thread, so thank you guys so much! 

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    I went to a birthing class taught by a doula and she recommended Lansinoh TheraPearl 3 in 1 breast therapy pads. Has anyone tried these before? It says you can freeze them or heat them up. 
  • @Mango517 SIL actually recommended Depends.  I had never even thought of using them.

I just bought high cut and pretty low cut cheap underwear in my size and 1 size up.  I plan to take a bunch of options to the hospital to see what's most comfortable since this will be my third c-section and I've had terrible reactions to the mesh underwear.  

I recommend bringing loose clothing especially bottoms.  I remember being so swollen and full of fluid, especially around my hips by the time I was discharged from the hospital.  

With a c-section, I recommend having colace and gas relief medicine on hand at home.  My stomach was off for at least a few weeks following surgery. 

Your hormones will be totally out of out of whack at the beginning.  I didn't notice it as much in the hospital, but at home I frequently went from being hot to cold especially at night. I would get so sweaty in the middle of the night for the first several weeks and changed my clothes at least once per night.  

For BFing, have a large glass of water on hand at all times and snacks or things that are easy to make if possible.  It's really important to stay hydrated and eat enough.  Nursing pads are a must especially at the beginning and lanolin or some type of nipple cream is helpful.  Also, you may need to pump for relief so make sure your pump is sterilized and set up.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @morgy_bee when making these padsicles, how do you freeze them? Wouldn't folding them back up get one part of the paper covering the sticky back part wet and make it not stick when you're ready to use it? Or am I imagining this process all wrong?
  • @MetsGirl18 omg, I completely forgot about the gas. The next day I had such pain in my ribs and collarbone I was convinced that they must have gotten broken somehow. Then my mom was like oh no, we all forgot to tell you that when they open your abdomen for any kind of surgery, air gets in and you get gas, not just in your digestive tract. Ummmm no one told me about that! It was awful. My precious nurses brought me warm blankets  and gas-x. I'm definitely taking it preemptively this time. 
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited June 2017
    @tova24 I have those Lanisoh breast pads and I used them a couple of times. I happened to only really have pain in my nipples while the rest of my breasts never got too sore or engorged so I can't speak to how much of a lifesaver those would be. The nipple part is cut out and that was really where I needed the cooling effect. I know a lot of people have total breast soreness from engorgement so I'm sure it would help with that.

I'm enjoying reading these preparations. Even though I'm a STM I feel like I didn't prepare much and just went with the flow last time. I took home SO many mesh panties from the hospital but it still wasn't enough to last. I'm thinking I'll invest in the larger, high rise panties I can throw away after. I had a lot of pain in my incision and it was pretty leaky afterwards so I used a pad actually in the top of my underwear to create a barrier so I wouldn't have nastiness leaking through to my pants or shirt. Hoping that was a fluke and that my incision will stay better contained this time around. Anybody else have that issue?

ETA: forgot to clarify I ended up with a c section last time and am doing a RCS this time
  • Would anyone like to make this thread a Sticky? I feel like I would forget something. At the very least, I could show this thread to DH and make him run to Target after delivery. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • britvahokbritvahok member
    edited June 2017
    My hospital provided ice packs for the padsicles, I never thought of making them myself. I plan to ask them for extras before I leave and make them at home this time. The padsicles and peri bottle were the most important things after my vaginal delivery. My hospital sent me home with everything except the pads. I bought 2 boxes of the long and thin Always. I only spotted for a day and stopped bleeding so I didn't need the Always but still plan to buy them this time to be prepared. A few hours after delivery my nurse gave me a stool softener and I had my first poop before I left the hospital. It actually wasn't as bad as all the horror stories I heard. 

eta:words
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @britvahok I'd say you were very lucky in both the bleeding and pooping department. :)

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @DeansGirl14 I agree!  This thread will be great while I make my list of things to pack! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @bumpybump I was so scared! I read way to many horror stories about the first poop and bleeding for weeks nonstop. I'm hoping the same thing happens this time. I'm already so anxious and nervous about delivery. I don't remember feeling this way last time.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @Mango517 good call on the homemade bone broth, that stuff is gold! Need to stock up now!
  • bumpybump said:
    @britvahok I'd say you were very lucky in both the bleeding and pooping department. :)
    I agree! I bled for weeks (maybe at least 4?) and every poop (without colace) for six months felt like my tear would rip open. 
  • @britvahok I also used the frozen pads at hospital but not at home. I gave birth on Tuesday and left on Friday though. A lot of the soreness was manageable without ice by then. 
  • @britvahok I'm just as anxious about delivery. I think for me it's because I wasn't successful vagionally last time and hope to be this time but that "full" process is new to me. On the flip side, a RCS is also new since it'd be from beginning to end instead of mid-way. Then recovery with a toddler. Ahhhh!
    I know I bleed for a while. I recall being done before 6 weeks (another friend came back to work still bleeding at 6 weeks so that's my gauge). And I remember crying so much when sitting on that dang toilet for over an hour feeling like I needed to go but couldn't. Meanwhile, DH was in the other room telling me DD needed fed, again. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump have you decided on VBAC vs RCS? I know that's got to be a tough decision.