November 2016 Moms
Options

Dumb Questions-May

2»

Re: Dumb Questions-May

• Options
    ZoeFerZoeFer member
    edited May 2017
    @kvruns that is what i am thinking. since she was born, i use my breast to calm her down almost for everything. it works so great. but it makes it hard for H or my parents since they dont have the tool to calm her. how does your Lo do in the daycare? i asked because i think my Lo fussed most to me , as soon as i get home she starts to make funny noises to get my attention she cannot wait for me to wash my hands. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    ZoeFer said:
    @kvruns that is what i am thinking. since she was born, i use my breast to calm her down almost for everything. it works so great. but it makes it hard for H or my parents since they dont have the tool to calm her. how does your Lo do in the daycare? i asked because i think my Lo fussed most to me , as soon as i get home she starts to make funny noises to get my attention she cannot wait for me to wash my hands. 
    I didn't used to have to use it to calm him but the last few months I have. They act like he does ok at daycare although I know he has some meltdowns, same with my parents. I know sometimes I'll see he eats way sooner than he should so maybe they use the bottle. Or they are ok with him just screaming at him forever? I just don't think I could handle that in the middle of the night!  I do agree though that he fusses/cries louder when I'm around so that might be part of it 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    ZoeFer said:
    I didn't used to have to use it to calm him but the last few months I have. They act like he does ok at daycare although I know he has some meltdowns, same with my parents. I know sometimes I'll see he eats way sooner than he should so maybe they use the bottle. Or they are ok with him just screaming at him forever? I just don't think I could handle that in the middle of the night!  I do agree though that he fusses/cries louder when I'm around so that might be part of it 
    They are old enough to know some cause and effect: I smell mom, I cry, I get to be close with mom. So we start letting comfort nursing happen without realizing it and then we rely on it once we realize it. It's a vicious cycle but is also one of the reasons I delay weaning.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    kvruns said:
    ZoeFer said:
    They are old enough to know some cause and effect: I smell mom, I cry, I get to be close with mom. So we start letting comfort nursing happen without realizing it and then we rely on it once we realize it. It's a vicious cycle but is also one of the reasons I delay weaning.
    how do you end it then? Just tough love?  I'm not looking to end it but just kind of thinking out loud. 
  • Options
    S doesn't really comfort nurse anymore. If she does get upset, I can usually calm her by singing her favorite songs. She also takes a pacifier. But I've noticed she uses her hands sometimes to soothe now. In the MOTN I used to have to replace the paci often but now I don't and she'll sleep without sometimes. So I'm guessing she's learning how to self soothe in other ways. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:
    ZoeFer said:
    how do you end it then? Just tough love?  I'm not looking to end it but just kind of thinking out loud. 
    Rocking, singing, the mobile - and some tough love. 
  • Options
    Agree with @SandNStarsNJ and I'll add that I consciously started avoiding the comfort feeds about four weeks ago in preparation of our weaning. And now that it's not an option it's actually easier than I thought it would be to comfort him. I guess I used to just use the boob because it was easy but now that I can't it's easier to use other methods. 
  • Options
    tvh1982tvh1982 member
    If my LO really is upset she gets a comfort feeding with the bottle. Have her laying close to me and she get a bottle. 
    But mostly she's just ok with being held very close with my forehead against her forehead. I guess since BF never worked for us, she found another way to be close. 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    m6aguam6agua member
     If my little one is having a meltdown I will do the same thing, a comfort feed, but with the bottle.  Last night  she had a pretty big meltdown but we discovered it was because of her teeth we gave her a little Tylenol and I have her suck on a teething ring. She doesn't take pacifiers so that's difficult 
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    What do you guys do about earwax build up? I've been trying to wipe it out with a wet wipe but I feel like that just spreads it around. I'm terrified of going near her ear with a q tip, even the outside shell.
  • Options
    What do you guys do about earwax build up? I've been trying to wipe it out with a wet wipe but I feel like that just spreads it around. I'm terrified of going near her ear with a q tip, even the outside shell.
    We Q-tip it every night. Just go slow and be careful. You'll be fine. 
  • Options
    I do nothing about earwax unless I can get it with my finger. I didn't think it was a big deal?
  • Options
    I do nothing about earwax unless I can get it with my finger. I didn't think it was a big deal?
    A has bad earwax, like my husband. The pediatrician said it's genetic and keep on top of it in case the build up affects her hearing. I'm wiping it out every other day but her ears are so small, I feel like I'm not getting it all.
  • Options
    tvh1982tvh1982 member
    Im using the baby q-tip, they can't (unless you force it) in far. My LO doesn't mind at all. 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

• Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    For those of you that FF. Do you follow the rule that it is only good for an hour once LO starts eating out of it? If you do not how loose do you go with it? I just hate to waste formula, sometimes I put it back in the fridge right away and then if its close within the hour I will give it to her. Also her formula is never heated by any means, she just drinks it cold.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    tvh1982tvh1982 member
    I'm very loose with it @m6agua, they are getting older and can handle it. 
    My LO doesn't have time to drink, so it's bit by bit as she needs to exploir and see all. Think I've had even had 2 hours of her lurking on a bottle and playing and drinking and playing. I don't even put it in the fridge afterwards.
    I never reheat though.

My friend has an 18month old who wakes up several times a night and often ends sleeping with her. She uses the same bottle the whole night. Guess one gets less worried once they are getting older..

• Options
    m6agua said:
    For those of you that FF. Do you follow the rule that it is only good for an hour once LO starts eating out of it? If you do not how loose do you go with it? I just hate to waste formula, sometimes I put it back in the fridge right away and then if its close within the hour I will give it to her. Also her formula is never heated by any means, she just drinks it cold.
    I usually let it slide to about 1 1/2 hours to an hour 45 minutes. And I never heat up formula either, straight out of the fridge for my guy. 
  • Options
    m6agua said:
    I thought it was 4-6 hours after you make it... so no, I don't follow that rule.  :#

That said, if it has been out more than hour, I always smell it first and dump it if anything seems off. We also don't heat up her bottles here. Room temp or cold.
  • Options
    camcbethcamcbeth member
    edited May 2017
    It's 4-6 hours for bm. I do remember it being 1 hour for formula. I think I always just threw it out to be on the safe side. I hated wasting it and bm, especially since formula is so expensive. 
  • Options
    Ohhh! I guess I read it for bm and my brain didn't process that it was different for formula. 
  • Options
    MrsMaryK2016MrsMaryK2016 member
    edited May 2017
    It's one hour for formula as soon as they drink some of it. Refrigerated it's good for 48 hours but again, as soon as they drink some you're supposed to toss it. I prep all of M's bottles in the morning for the day and night and just leave them in the fridge. 

Edited for clarity
  • Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    Yes prepared formula is 48 hours in the fridge. 2 hours out, and one hour once LO has drank from it. 

Im glad to know I'm not the only one who lets the timing side a bit after she drinks it. I would say I've gone anywhere from 1 to maybe almost 2 hours after starting.

I heard the 1 hour thing is the same for their solid food? Basically anything that mixes with their saliva.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    desoky01desoky01 member
    edited May 2017
    Uh oh @m6agua, we've stored baby food that we've spooned out of longer than that for sure.  :/
  • Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    desoky01 said:
    Uh oh @m6agua, we've stored baby food that we've spooned out of longer than that for sure.  :/
    I'm not convinced it's even a big deal. Maybe when they are little and their digestive system is still working itself out. I just think about how our moms probably did things and I'm sure if we give them food out of the same dish it would be fine in comparison.

I also read that if you have made homemade purées that it's only good for 72 hours in the fridge. I think it keeps longer than that.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    Ha, I'm with you all on the baby food. I open it, feed her and put in the fridge for the next day if she didn't eat it all. It says once opened its good for 2-3 days. I didn't think about the mixing saliva. I do also heat it for 10-15 seconds.
  • Options
    tvh1982tvh1982 member
    It's funny how different things are from country to country as here they say formula only last 8 hours in the fridge and they are so against premaking it.
    Yet in the hospital they have premade!

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Can someone give me the basics of fat roll management? Like should I be doing anything other than wiping/bathing and making sure those areas are hit? Should I look for redness or be concerned with anything 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Can someone give me the basics of fat roll management? Like should I be doing anything other than wiping/bathing and making sure those areas are hit? Should I look for redness or be concerned with anything 
    I operate on just keep the stink out of it. They're going to get red sometimes. Keep it dry, wipe them down, and a little baby powder goes a long way when the smell won't quit. 
  • Options
    tvh1982tvh1982 member
    What does FFC stand for in venting/WTF/FFC? 
    I've been trying to figure this out for way too long now.