May 2017 Moms

Pumping Questions

Re: Pumping Questions

• lrwardrop said:
    I'm loving the spectra s1 pump, it's so quiet compared to my medela. I'm sort of having the opposite problem, i have an over supply. I've been trying to only pump once a day when im really uncomfortable during the morning. Baby is breastfeeding about every 2 hours. Today I had visitors over and I looked down and noticed I soaked through nursing pads and 2 shirts. 

Came here to say this!  My nips are shredded so I'm pumping and supplementing until we figure it out and this pump is niiiiiiiice. 
  • Working moms- you might be interested in the simple wishes super mom bra. It combines the normal nursing bra with the pumping bra so you don't have to swap out all the time.
  • Loading the player...
  • @lrwardrop i do both and it's been good but last night she let me sleep so long I think I had so much milk in there she could only tap the fore milk
  • @kns1988 were you pumping this whole time holding it?  :o

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• kns1988kns1988 member
    mrsrep123 said:
    @kns1988 were you pumping this whole time holding it?  :o
    Yeah, it was kind of awful. I had figured out a way to still use my computer and type one handed, but it was not fun.
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• kns1988 said:
    mrsrep123 said:
    Yeah, it was kind of awful. I had figured out a way to still use my computer and type one handed, but it was not fun.
    I'm glad you got it. Welcome to hands-free pumping! Maybe it'll be a little more tolerable now.  ;)

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• mrsrep123 said:
    kns1988 said:
    mrsrep123 said:
    I'm glad you got it. Welcome to hands-free pumping! Maybe it'll be a little more tolerable now.  ;)
    :-O nope nope nope, hands free is the way to be
  • Has any one been using a system where you pump directly into bags (like kiinde?) Just trying to get an idea if this is something to look into or not. 
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    Has any one been using a system where you pump directly into bags (like kiinde?) Just trying to get an idea if this is something to look into or not. 
    I've done it a few times with the PISA storage bags, but I think it's kind of spill-prone. I prefer to pump into bottles and transfer to freezer bags when the fridge gets too full.

• @mspacman34 I tried kiinde last time I hated it. While your pumping because of the bag you can't accurately tell how much you got and then the amount from the bag doesn't align with the markings on the bottle so you'll think you have a 4 oz bag then pour it into bottle you'll have 3.5. You have to pull out The bottom of the bag just to make sure you don't overflow The bag. The kiinde adapters plus the bag makes it very long onto your legs as you pump. The kiinde bags are also very pricey. My personal favorite are the up and up target one's. I always collect all the milk from one day into one container then make my bottles for next day then freeze anything left over. This helps even out the fatty and watery milk evenly for each feeding. 
  • @mspacman34 I have the medela symphony for 6 months, pump into the medela bottles, then pour into mason jars to store in fridge then freezer. I do use the Kiinde bottle warmer.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @kns1988  @Yiggle09 @mrsrep123 Thanks for the responses ladies! When you put the milk into one container in the fridge do you pour the freshly pumped milk into the cold container or let it get cold in the fridge first before combining?
  • @mspacman34 Thanks for asking that question! I had been wondering the same thing!
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @mspacman34 I'm only storing 4 oz per jar. So far, I've been pumping that much and so haven't had to combine. But if my memory serves me right, you can add freshly pumped milk into a container that's already in the fridge. 

If you haven't already, Check out kellymom.com. Such a wealth of knowledge there!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I'm a FTM so no credibility but I thought you were supposed to cool milk before adding it to already cold milk. I could totally be wrong though!
  • I have just started EPing (at least temporarily for now while I let my nipples heal a bit) and I am pumping 7 sessions a day but only getting 1.5- 2.0 oz total per each pumping session. I am hoping this picks up as we have had to supplement a couple of times with formula when we didn't have enough breast milk. 

I like the idea of a weekly pumping check in as well :)
  • lnds32lnds32 member
    @rosemarylaff I am sure you are only getting 1.5-2 ounces due to what your baby is currently eating. As your LO eats more your body will produce more milk each session. I was initially pumping 1-2 ounces per session, I started pumping 1-2 times a day in addition to nursing to build a freezer stash. I now get at least 4 ounces each time I pump and my baby is 2.5 weeks old. 
  • thanks @lnds32 Baby Mason is 2 weeks old today, so I'm hoping you are right and i start pumping more as the days go by. My nipples are feeling a little better so I may try to nurse him again tonight.
  • @rosemarylaff @lnds32 I still get 1.5-2 oz average each time and baby is 5 weeks old. Clearly low supply despite my best efforts. We nurse before so I wonder if he is getting better at draining the breast or if I'd get more if I only pumped. We're going to start supplementing with formula this week, as his weight is low. "A fed baby is best" even though it's a disappointing blow to have such low supply. I'm trying!
  • @chailife34 I have heard that pumping an hour or so after nursing is the best time rather than straight after
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • MTB16MTB16 member
    I'd like to start pumping to build a stash for my breastfeeder. He's eating about every 3 hours now at 8 days old. 

Whats the best/most effective way for me to start pumping while also breastfeeding? I'm afraid if I pump in between that 3 hours he won't have enough to satisfy at his normal feed. Is this something I need to wait to do until his normal feeds are further apart? 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @MTB16 I've always been told to wait to start pumping to build a stash until 4 weeks. Obviously that's different if you're pumping to supplement. But simply for stash purposes, it might be a good idea to wait until your supply stabilizes, unless you need a huge stash earlier for some reason. Once I start my stash, I usually pump after the first feed of the morning when I have the most milk. Then, if the kid takes a bottle during any part of the day, I pump then too. Once I go back to work, I'll likely pump 2-3 times at work plus that morning pump, that should cover the next day's milk for daycare and I can freeze any extra. This system worked well for us for DD's first year of life. She only had about 3 bottles of formula when things got very close in the days leading to her first birthday. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @chailife34 I have heard that pumping an hour or so after nursing is the best time rather than straight after
    I've heard that too, and also have heard to do it right after. I'm pumping so often that I haven't noticed a difference between doing it before/during/after nursing immediately or waiting. I'm not a good gauge though as I have low supply. Do whatever works!
  • MTB16MTB16 member
    Thanks @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot that makes sense!
  • I just had a ridiculous fail. I read that you can pump more if you do it on your hands and knees, so I decided to try it. Somehow I had a malfunction and didn't realize it, and I pumped an entire breast's worth of milk onto my bed. It soaked through a pillow, the comforter, 2 sheets. Ughhhh I feel so dumb. 

• @kns1988 that's terrible! All that lost milk!
  • @kns1988 what a bummer.  I was super sleepy this morning and spilled 3 oz of breast milk which of course caused me to cry. Me tired + spilling breast milk = total breakdown for like 5 minutes. 
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @kns1988: Oh no! That really sucks! I had lost a bunch of frozen milk once. It"s not the same thing but I understand the loss still hurts! And the laundry, geesh. Washing bulky things like pillows and comforters takes forever!  :/
  • SKZWSKZW member
    Question for those of you who pump for the next feeding:

How do you anticipate a growth spurt or cluster feed? Or do you try to stay further ahead, like, by a few sessions, or days? I'm curious about the logistics. If you pumped and fed (that milk) and then there's hunger/demand an hour later, are you pumping again?, because if not your supply won't keep up, right? 
  • MTB16MTB16 member
    kns1988 said:
    @Jens_Hoes, the lost milk sucks, but I'm more upset about the laundry :( It's never-ending as is without me adding to it.  
    Ohmygod the laundry, seriously how is there so much?!

sorry about your pump session fail!
  • @SKZW, I'm a few days ahead because I make more than DS eats, but I also haven't dealt with the cluster feeding or hunger on demand. He's 5 weeks old, and we've stuck to the 3 hour feeding schedule that we were on in the hospital. Sometimes he gets hungry in between, but I've always been able to distract him for about a half hour until it's closer to his time to eat. It's getting a little bit harder, though! I think he's starting to rebel. 

• SKZW said:
    Question for those of you who pump for the next feeding:

How do you anticipate a growth spurt or cluster feed? Or do you try to stay further ahead, like, by a few sessions, or days? I'm curious about the logistics. If you pumped and fed (that milk) and then there's hunger/demand an hour later, are you pumping again?, because if not your supply won't keep up, right? 
    Last time around when I mainly pumped I was lucky to have a good supply. I was always ahead of the game with extra milk. If it wasn't that way then I think yes, you should pump every time baby eats to maintain your supply or make pumping sessions a couple minutes longer? Finding time for another session is difficult sometimes.
  • I have the spectra s1 and I can't get it to charge. I have left it plugged in for hours and the battery indicator shows full but it will not work when it's not plugged in. Anyone else? 
  • Sorry @lrwardrop I don't have the S1. Hope you get it figured out! Maybe give them a call? 

Does anyone else leak when pumping? I double pump and keep leaking out the bottom. Driving me nuts!

Orsered my hands free pump too! Can't come quick enough! 

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • @BabyMC517 What do you mean by leaking "out the bottom"? Of the flanges?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------