June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• Why am I so sad to stop pumping?! I HATE pumping and I have enough milk to get Jack well past 12 months.. I just feel really emotional about it for some reason. I started cutting down on pumping sessions over the weekend..  :'(
  • bankssl1 said:
    Why am I so sad to stop pumping?! I HATE pumping and I have enough milk to get Jack well past 12 months.. I just feel really emotional about it for some reason. I started cutting down on pumping sessions over the weekend..  :'(
    The end of an era. Even with the freezer stash, pumping a new bottle is a reminder of providing for your baby, and stopping pumping means he doesn't need that from you as much (even though he does, you're just way ahead!). I am definitely looking forward to not pumping, but it will be weird and I think it's only going to be ok because I can still BF him when I'm home. Without that... I'd probably be in the weird oxymoron state of hating to give up something you hate as well
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • art+lea2013 I think you hit the nail on the head. He doesn't nurse anymore so it's all going away at once  :'(
  • Ugh I think I got a clogged duct yesterday, of course it was the day Preston decided he wants to nurse on demand and he may be teething so hess been asking to nurse every hour or so while awake.  I have no problem doing so but my boob hurt so bad I was crying.  Today it was still sore but not as hard but there is a red mark that goes from nipple to armpit and is about two fingers wide.  
  • Ugh I think I got a clogged duct yesterday, of course it was the day Preston decided he wants to nurse on demand and he may be teething so hess been asking to nurse every hour or so while awake.  I have no problem doing so but my boob hurt so bad I was crying.  Today it was still sore but not as hard but there is a red mark that goes from nipple to armpit and is about two fingers wide.  
    Any fever? Feeling shaky or sick?
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
     No I feel normal minus the pain.  It's a little better today but still tender.
     No I feel normal minus the pain.  It's a little better today but still tender.
    Well that's good. It could possibly be mastitis but if you are feeling okay than hopefully not. Probably worth a call to the midwife if it's still bothering you.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I'm still having some supply issues and I'm wondering if it's real or if it's in my head- Savannah is not cranky and loves solids , definitely doesn't seem like a hungry baby.

Our schedule-
    6:00am- Nurse
    9:30am- Pump
    1:30pm- Pump
    4:00pm- Nurse
    7:30pm- Nurse

So I'm trying a carb free diet to lose weight before this wedding in Paris in 1 month. I normally pump between 8-12oz with the two pumps combined. Today I only got 6.5 in two different pump sessions. :'(

Has anyone else dieted while BFing? I'm wondering if I am setting myself up for failure because I'll be damned if I have to stop BFing out of vanity!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I'm still having some supply issues and I'm wondering if it's real or if it's in my head- Savannah is not cranky and loves solids , definitely doesn't seem like a hungry baby.

Our schedule-

So I'm trying a carb free diet to lose weight before this wedding in Paris in 1 month. I normally pump between 8-12oz with the two pumps combined. Today I only got 6.5 in two different pump sessions. :'(

Has anyone else dieted while BFing? I'm wondering if I am setting myself up for failure because I'll be damned if I have to stop BFing out of vanity!!
    I don't have any experience with dieting and supply, but I had to say I'm a little envious that you're going 7:30-6 with no nursing. S is finally at the point where he'll pretty much sleep through the night, but only if I go in around 10:30 and do a dream feed. And even then, there are mornings when he's awake wanting to nurse again at 5 am. My husband and I always joke that he's a great sleeper for a 3-month old :)
  • annaf2011 said:
    I'm still having some supply issues and I'm wondering if it's real or if it's in my head- Savannah is not cranky and loves solids , definitely doesn't seem like a hungry baby.

Our schedule-

I don't have any experience with dieting and supply, but I had to say I'm a little envious that you're going 7:30-6 with no nursing. S is finally at the point where he'll pretty much sleep through the night, but only if I go in around 10:30 and do a dream feed. And even then, there are mornings when he's awake wanting to nurse again at 5 am. My husband and I always joke that he's a great sleeper for a 3-month old :)
    HAHAHA- Maybe I need to start doing a dream feed to help with supply. My daughter will sleep through the night but only in our bed (we are having serious sleep issues while teething). 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I don't think going from 7:30-6am without feeding is necessarily the problem. I go from about 7-4 or 5am and sometimes longer on the rare occasion Jackie sleeps in and don't have supply issues during the day. It could be an opportunity to try and boost your supply to offset anything you're not making during the day, but then you need to pump or feed everyday around that time.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    I don't think going from 7:30-6am without feeding is necessarily the problem. I go from about 7-4 or 5am and sometimes longer on the rare occasion Jackie sleeps in and don't have supply issues during the day. It could be an opportunity to try and boost your supply to offset anything you're not making during the day, but then you need to pump or feed everyday around that time.
    I ideally would love to pump after I feed her in the morning and after her last feed at night but I have to leave for work by 7am and we're having serious bedtime troubles so neither are realistic unfortunately.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • If I just did my math right, I have about 30 more days that I have to pump, woooh! That includes building in an after first birthday period to mix with whole milk for daytime transition. We can do it ladies!
  • I was curious today so I decided to do a little bit of math as we approach the one year point of BF-

4oz/day x 365 days = 1460 / 16 = 91.25lbs

8oz/day x 365 days = 2920oz / 16 = 182.5lbs

16oz/day x 365 days = 5840oz / 16 = 365lbs

24oz/day x 365 days = 8760oz / 16 = 547.5lbs

32oz/day x 365 days = 11680 oz / 16 = 730lbs

I was blown away by realizing how much milk our bodies produce in a year!! Breastfeeding seriously is such an amazing thing, especially when you think that you've produced somewhere between 1-5 full grown adults worth of milk

I love this! It's made me feel very proud of myself. I'm so glad the end is in sight though :lol:
  • Alright ladies, I have stopped pumping/nursing and my poor boobies are deflated. I'm talking, super sad looking maybe an A cup? I was a large B before and while pregnant/nursing a large C. Anyone else experiencing this? Do they perk back up?!
  • bankssl1 said:
    Alright ladies, I have stopped pumping/nursing and my poor boobies are deflated. I'm talking, super sad looking maybe an A cup? I was a large B before and while pregnant/nursing a large C. Anyone else experiencing this? Do they perk back up?!
    No idea about the perking back up, but I feel you on the deflated part. Miles still nurses/I still pump, but I maybe pump 4 - 5 ounces total at work anymore. He's just moving on from breast milk. So now I'm looking droopy and super squishy and small. Went from C to DD to a cookie sheet
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    bankssl1 said:
    Alright ladies, I have stopped pumping/nursing and my poor boobies are deflated. I'm talking, super sad looking maybe an A cup? I was a large B before and while pregnant/nursing a large C. Anyone else experiencing this? Do they perk back up?!
    No idea about the perking back up, but I feel you on the deflated part. Miles still nurses/I still pump, but I maybe pump 4 - 5 ounces total at work anymore. He's just moving on from breast milk. So now I'm looking droopy and super squishy and small. Went from C to DD to a cookie sheet
    I pumped part time for twins for 8 months and 1 month for this baby. I was a 36 C before kids and a 36 B now. They will probably never be the same but may bounce back a bit.
  • I don't know if mine are smaller, but yeah deflated and droopy.
    It's funny, when you're young and single they tell you about these things and scare you... but they don't mention that you'll also be too tired to care haha ; )
  • edited May 2017
    I was a 34AA pre-pregnancy and went up to a 36C (or was it D...I think C). I'm back down to 34AA at this point, I do miss those boobies though. I don't think they look much different than they did before but then again, I don't have much to really judge.
  • My cup size never really changed at all during pregnancy or nursing, but my rib cage expanded.  I was a 36 before LO and now I'm a 38.  
  • Is anyone considering extended breastfeeding or a combination of bfing and cow milk? I'd love to break up with my pump while at work, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up nursing. I'm worried about maintaining my supply if I only nurse morning and night.
  • meggyme said:
    Is anyone considering extended breastfeeding or a combination of bfing and cow milk? I'd love to break up with my pump while at work, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up nursing. I'm worried about maintaining my supply if I only nurse morning and night.
    You'll still make milk as long as you still nurse.  I plan to do extended BF.  Maybe add a nursing right when you get home? The nice thing about nursing is you don't have to give "full meals" each time.  So if you nurse when you get home, even if bedtime is an hour later that's ok cause bedtime nursing is more for the comfort and relaxation.
  • I'm wondering about this due, I feel like I'm having huge supply dips and am just hoping to make it to a year. I would love to keep nursing morning and night for awhile, but am not sure that she will be getting much
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I'm wondering about this due, I feel like I'm having huge supply dips and am just hoping to make it to a year. I would love to keep nursing morning and night for awhile, but am not sure that she will be getting much
    Luckily, it's really not super important how much she gets, as long as she is getting adequate dairy (or really just the vitamins/protein in dairy) during the day. If you both still enjoy it, keep doing it, even if you think she's probably only getting a few ounces a day
  • I had to give up BFing entirely : ( After I got my BFP my supply plummeted, and LO was coming off really fast and still hungry. So then I was really focused on how much formula/ cows milk she was getting, and I had to give her formula in the middle of the night so that pretty much finished off BFing. It happened so fast and I thought I'd be sad but I'm just really grateful she is doing well on formula and, as we transition over, cow's milk.
    And I have to admit that being able to give her more to drink in the bottle before she goes to bed so that she sleeps longer is nice. I don't think my "breast capacity" was ever more than 4 oz or so, so we were nursing throughout the night.
  • meggyme said:
    Is anyone considering extended breastfeeding or a combination of bfing and cow milk? I'd love to break up with my pump while at work, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up nursing. I'm worried about maintaining my supply if I only nurse morning and night.
    Im thinking of extended bf, I don't pump any more but nurse morning, evening and bedtime and my supply is still good. I think it just goes off how often they nurse as to how much you make
  • I will officially hit the year mark on Monday and have been exclusively pumping for about 5 months now.  I had a slight dip when I got my BFP, but now the milk is back full force, tried to pump just twice yesterday, but I think I made the mistake of also trying to shorten my evening pump to just fifteen minutes instead of twenty.  Boobs were screaming 4.5 hours later and I pumped close to 9 total ounces.  Not sure how I am ever going to stop.  My body just loves making milk  :s
  • I'm planning to keep nursing for a little while yet. I don't know how long, but I'm not ready to give it up completely. I may try to go down to morning and evening though depending on what pediatrician says at 1 year appointment. I never thought I'd make it this far and can't believe I want to continue!
  • I know this question sounds completely crazy (feel free to judge!!) but if you start the transition to cows milk 1-3 weeks before baby turns 1 would you still consider them EBF until 1?

I know it really doesn't matter, but my goal was 1 year EBF. So far I haven't given her any formula or cows milk at all. I have a couple of days of milk in the freezer, but my supply has dipped a little so I am supplementing with frozen milk.

I kind of feel as though supplementing with cows milk these last few weeks would almost be like stopping at mile 25 of a marathon.

Can anyone relate? I know that it seems completely nuts but the thought of supplementing at all before 1 makes me sad. Mainly because I am SO close, 21 days to be exact!

(Moms who supplement- people know I am NOT judging at all! This is a totally personal, totally crazy thing)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I know this question sounds completely crazy (feel free to judge!!) but if you start the transition to cows milk 1-3 weeks before baby turns 1 would you still consider them EBF until 1?

I know it really doesn't matter, but my goal was 1 year EBF. So far I haven't given her any formula or cows milk at all. I have a couple of days of milk in the freezer, but my supply has dipped a little so I am supplementing with frozen milk.

I kind of feel as though supplementing with cows milk these last few weeks would almost be like stopping at mile 25 of a marathon.

Can anyone relate? I know that it seems completely nuts but the thought of supplementing at all before 1 makes me sad. Mainly because I am SO close, 21 days to be exact!

(Moms who supplement- people know I am NOT judging at all! This is a totally personal, totally crazy thing)
    I think no matter how much breastmilk you are able to give you are giving your child an amazing gift and creating a bond that can't be taken away by stopping a couple weeks early. In the grand scheme of things 1-3 weeks is a blink of an eye and once they start walking and talking and as they continue learning and growing you'll forget that they didn't have a boob in their mouth on their first birthday. You've done an amazing job and your persistence and dedication to breastfeeding your child is an amazing quality that will translate to many other aspects of your parenting now and in the future. Don't beat yourself up or dwell on semantics.
  • meggyme said:
    I know this question sounds completely crazy (feel free to judge!!) but if you start the transition to cows milk 1-3 weeks before baby turns 1 would you still consider them EBF until 1?

I think no matter how much breastmilk you are able to give you are giving your child an amazing gift and creating a bond that can't be taken away by stopping a couple weeks early. In the grand scheme of things 1-3 weeks is a blink of an eye and once they start walking and talking and as they continue learning and growing you'll forget that they didn't have a boob in their mouth on their first birthday. You've done an amazing job and your persistence and dedication to breastfeeding your child is an amazing quality that will translate to many other aspects of your parenting now and in the future. Don't beat yourself up or dwell on semantics.
    Thank you, I know that's the rational answer. I really appreciate the support! :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20

I wouldn't worry about exact timing.  If you want to go the full year I suggest not supplement with frozen cause just makes supply go faster but don't feel like the year has to be exactly 365 days. Haha 

I wouldn't worry about exact timing.  If you want to go the full year I suggest not supplement with frozen cause just makes supply go faster but don't feel like the year has to be exactly 365 days. Haha 
    Thanks! I'm trying to just BF as much as possible- if I don't pump as much as I need to send to daycare the next day I have been sending frozen. So if I only pump 5oz on Tuesday, on Wednesday I will send 5oz fresh and 3oz frozen so that she gets her 2 4oz bottles.

Yesterday I was able to pump 7oz (!!!) so I just sent 7 today. Hopefully I won't need to supplement at all today.

When I was in Paris I dumped everything I pumped, and DH used up the frozen and fresh milk I had left so I kind of feel like I "wasted" 10 days of milk that I would have still if I hadn't gone to Paris. God damn mom guilt!

DH keeps telling me that I made it a year and not to be so obsessed with the actual days- I'm just a very literal person lol.

I also would love to extending morning and nighttime BFing for awhile but have her drink cows milk out of a sippy cup during the day- so no real plans to go cold turkey at 1 year.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20

I love your dedication but definitely don't let the idea of hitting Day #365 stress you out! You can always look at it in the terms of months rather than days. June is Month #12 so YAY, you made it! :) Either way, you've done (and are doing) an awesome job. I had hoped to nurse until Damien was 1 but that was very short lived. It was hard having to start supplementing with formula and then transition over to it 100% when I realized BFing just wasn't going to happen for us. I'm so happy that so many of you ladies were able to do it long-term! And at the end of the day, as many have said before, formula or BF, we're all doing a great job ensuring our babies grow strong and healthy. (Oh and I definitely didn't sense any judging from your post, no worries!)

I love your dedication but definitely don't let the idea of hitting Day #365 stress you out! You can always look at it in the terms of months rather than days. June is Month #12 so YAY, you made it! :) Either way, you've done (and are doing) an awesome job. I had hoped to nurse until Damien was 1 but that was very short lived. It was hard having to start supplementing with formula and then transition over to it 100% when I realized BFing just wasn't going to happen for us. I'm so happy that so many of you ladies were able to do it long-term! And at the end of the day, as many have said before, formula or BF, we're all doing a great job ensuring our babies grow strong and healthy. (Oh and I definitely didn't sense any judging from your post, no worries!)
    Thanks! And glad to hear that, its tough online since you can't sense tone!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20

Great point!  I think any amount of breast milk you can give is awesome.  I started transitioning early since I wasn't sure about how my milk would hold out, but I hadn't really thought about extending beyond a year. I am for anything that helps my little guy grow big and strong... He is just such a peanut!  My dream of a chunky baby died pretty early on with this guy.  I just kind of pictured having a little kid like Russell from Up for a little bit.  That kid was so squishable (obvs not real, but still cute!)

Lots of good input already, but I think it counts! Think of it as introducing a new food rather than supplementing. It's totally normal at this stage that she takes less and less breast milk as she encounters new foods. 
  • Hearing stories of extendwd bfing and new pregnancies affecting supply hits home. Back in march my body gave up production. It was maybe a week or two into my second trimester and the well was dry. Adi would nurse all day, pop off hungry and angry, and at the worst of it, only had three wet diapers in 24 hours. I was pretty devastated that we wouldn't make it to a year and reluctantly started supplementing. @vintagevix2016 told me her story about how when she struggled with the switch her role in Damien's life didn't change and I never thanked her for that but I should have. I think of it often. We still nurse for comfort all the time. She asks for mama and baba using the milk sign but also voices what she needs. I was so worried it would change our relationship, but it didn't really. We are planning on doing extended bfing w tandem nursing once the new little one is here. I am excited to have milk again soon, but I don't think Adi much cares as long as we can nurse and be close/ snuggle. It really is a cool relationship. :smile: