May 2017 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding--Comments, Questions, Thoughts...

1235»

Re: Breastfeeding--Comments, Questions, Thoughts...

• Options
    My doc and my husband are both on the no Vitamin D train. We didn't do it with my first and won't with his kid either. 

I did feel better having a backup freezer stash. If I was sick or on my period and had temporarily lower supply or missed pumping sessions at work I knew I could still make bottles for the next day. Also when I had 4-5 day work trips it was a godsend.

Our daycare stops bottles at 12 months so I used up my stash to help me wean from the pump over 3 weeks before his birthday while maintaining his bottle needs at daycare. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 all my different brands have 1 as the slowest flow. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 We only used Dr Browns but definitely had to switch to the "P" preemie nipples for the slowest flow and didn't move up to a one until she was like 5-6mo. 
  • Options
    @vrj0522 or someone else, can you explain what "power pumping" is?
  • Options
    I agree with @mdlorenz you can supplement yourself with the vit d so it goes into the milk. You can put the drops on your boobs or in the bm bottle. Vitamin d is extremely important for bone health and many other things. 
    @ShadeofGreen816 Avent has level 0 which is their slowest Dr browns has a p medela just has slow med fast. Those are the only ones I have experience with. 
    @starphish18
    1. Pump for 20 minutes; rest 10 minutes
    2. Pump another 10 minutes; rest for 10 minutes
    3. Pump again for 10 minutes; finish
    It's to simulate cluster feeding or boost supply. I never got a continuous bump just a bump that day I did it but everyone is different 
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 we had to use the preemie nipples but my daughter had problems with her epiglottis and needed a really slow flow.  Typical newborns should be fine with level 1's though.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I feel stupid/silly as a STM but vitamin D drops? Are they necessary for the baby? 

• Options
    Yiggle09Yiggle09 member
    edited March 2017
    @pshaortao
    "Your body must have vitamin D to absorb calcium and promote bone growth. Too little vitamin D results in soft bones in children (rickets) and fragile, misshapen bones in adults (osteomalacia). You also need vitamin D for other important body functions."
    Also this link was full of very recently updated info like mdlorenz said https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d-and-breastfeeding/
  • Options
    Thank you @Yiggle09! I guess it was a good thing we lived in a very sunny place when we had DD and did a lot of walks.  I'll definitely look into this :)

• Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited March 2017
    Yiggle09 said:
    @starphish18
    1. Pump for 20 minutes; rest 10 minutes
    2. Pump another 10 minutes; rest for 10 minutes
    3. Pump again for 10 minutes; finish
    It's to simulate cluster feeding or boost supply. I never got a continuous bump just a bump that day I did it but everyone is different 

SITB - Exactly this. If your supply ever suffers, doing this for 2-3 days will usually get it back up.

You can also pump after a few or all feedings to create a similar effect.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options

https://smile.amazon.com/Carlson-Laboratories-Super-Daily-Supplement/dp/B006J23VO0/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490964804&sr=8-5&keywords=vitamin+d+drops+baby

these were the drops I used. You only need 1 drop. I just put it in a bottle.

I also wanted to mention that I used my extra pumped milk to make baby oatmeal with. When DS first started eating foods I gave him oatmeal cereal instead of rice cereal with BM. He gobbled it right up. Actually he ate this until he was about a year because he loved it.

• Options
    @skzw well said! All of you seeking and trying to absorb info as FTMs is great and more than I did as a FTM in regards to BF but it really is a case by case trial and error situation. I always went with the idea of "its the most natural thing" so I wasn't worried going in but that went out the window as soon as I was home with baby. And to second SKZW I would've given up two weeks in if it wasn't for seeking out a lactation consultant and paying close to $200 out of pocket for a one hour session. And that didn't solve all my problems just gave me enough tools to move on to the next one... so just agreeing there's no magic answer but a lot of great info here to feel supported when it's our turn to figure it all out again! 
  • Options
    Also I haven't started it yet but I just bought a book that came highly recommended by a friend as well as my womens health NP preceptor who is also a lactation consultant. It's called The Nursing Mothers Companion and it's by Kathleen Huggins. It's supposed to be a good mix between realistic and crunchy and is broken up into "read now" and "read after delivery" sections so it's not so overwhelming. I'm excited to dig into it
  • Options
    @SKZW I truly felt like a failure like my child didn't want me because he would push away. I was in a very dark place mentally. Just remember a fed baby is the priority. Pump bf bottle feed formula feed it honestly doesn't matter if your mentally crushed from issues during one of these. I was so messed up when my pump supply got messed up by mastitis I had a dream my baby turned all green and gross from formula. This was 5 months post partum
  • Options
    FTM...I absolutely love and appreciate all of the advice and the realness of the STM+ moms! I want to try to breast feed and pump, but if I'm honest with myself, I don't think that I will like it. It never really seemed like something I would want to do, but now that I'm here with a baby on the way I definitely want to give it ago, but if it doesn't work for me then I'm okay with formula because baby has to eat something! I hate that there is so much mom guilt around this and it just makes me sad when others are feeling like failures for it. I hope that we can all continue to support one another through these new (and old) experiences, because it sounds like it is different for everyone and for every baby! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    @Yiggle09 @Kipperoo Yes, the sadness and dark place and disappointment are completely crushing, and it's hard to overcome. You're right: at the heart of it, feed the baby. I should put that on a post-it! @erinh2005 Best $200 spent?! See, I'd just consider that to be lumped into the "first year expenses" misc category and not give it another thought---like, no different than going out to dinner a few times, and it's value totally outweighs a few meals, right? @Yiggle09 Mastitis is no joke. My sister had no idea about the pain, so I told her "mast" means breast and "itis" means "hurts worse than childbirth" and I totally meant it!
  • Options
    @SKZW Thank you for reminding us of the reality. Thank you to everyone who's given advice in this thread and similar conversations.
  • Options
    @skzw Absolutely! I encourage anyone who wants to seek professional help to do so even though it's still a mostly OOP deal. Since I had no other resources at that time. Totes worth it in mine and DD1's case. 
  • Options
    @SKZW I feel like I need to print that out for those early weeks when all of that will become a reality.

@erinh2005 SIL said if I'm already experiencing a lot of discomfort I may really be in for it when my milk comes in. Ugh, gimme all the ice and soothies.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    So my nipples are really starting to get raw/cracked/red, she has a good latch, I think it's because I have super dry skin and they were sensitive before. Any other ladies in similiar situations have a good recommendation?

• Options
    @Cubslove12 I'm right there with you. Every nurse and LC said LOs latch was great and yet my nipples are so sore and raw. One is bleeding a bit. It hurts! No advice just letting you know I'm with you. 
  • Options
    @Cubslove12 and @rebecca517-2 For injured nips I love the hydrogel pads (Medela and Lansinoh both make them) or just Vaseline and non-stick (telfa/curad) pads. Moist (hate that word) healing is best for wounds. Not soggy, just not dry. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    mcvgalmcvgal member
    @cubslove12 I had the same thing happen with DS2, lanolin nipple cream really helped. I also remember it only being an issue the first or second week.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    So my nipples are really starting to get raw/cracked/red, she has a good latch, I think it's because I have super dry skin and they were sensitive before. Any other ladies in similiar situations have a good recommendation?

Do you have any upcoming pediatrician appointments? If so, I would consider having the pedi assess for lip and tongue tie. The first few days with baby were painful for me although I knew we had a good latch but when we went in for his first appointment the pedi pointed out that she could see a small tongue tie and that's what was causing the painful latches. Gratefully, Bryson has gotten better at latching so my nipples have been able to heal but I have to be really careful that he is getting a good latch or it can still hurt sometimes.

If your hospital has a breastfeeding support group, I would consider attending those meetings. They can be really helpful if the LCs are good. 

Some tips that my LCs have given me to ensure a good latch:
    1. Have baby come to your breast for latching, not your breast going to baby's mouth
    2. Try to have baby take in as much of the nipple and areola as possible
    3. When inserting your nipple in their mouth, have nipple pointing up, toward the roof of their mouth rather than down. 
    4. Pull baby close and keep them as close as possible; they won't suffocate (if they are latched on right), but if they are not kept close, then the latch can become shallow and will cause pain.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    @Cubslove12 - +1 on checking for tongue/lip tie. We've got an eval next week for that. DS had both and it made a world of difference getting it corrected! Even if they checked at the hospital, an LC told me that it can take up to two weeks to become obvious because a lot of LC's will overlook "slight" ties thinking it will stretch out on its own. After a couple of weeks, it's easier to see

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • Options
    @Cubslove12 my best advice I got last time is breast milk hand expressed and rubbed on nipples and air dry after feeding or pumping. I am also a user of coconut oil literally only for breast care. It's anti inflammatory and moisturizing 
  • Options
    I've been getting more sore over the last few days. I think it's because he gets a shallow latch when I'm really full. I read on KellyMom to let him latch and relieve some of the pressure (or if it's too uncomfortable, hand express some of it off) then break the bad latch and relatch for a better one. The second latch always feels so much better. I also second lanolin and for real damage get a prescription for Dr Newmans. I swear by that stuff. 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've been getting more sore over the last few days. I think it's because he gets a shallow latch when I'm really full. I read on KellyMom to let him latch and relieve some of the pressure (or if it's too uncomfortable, hand express some of it off) then break the bad latch and relatch for a better one. The second latch always feels so much better. I also second lanolin and for real damage get a prescription for Dr Newmans. I swear by that stuff. 
    I remember DD couldn't get a good latch when I was more engorged during the early weeks. I used a nipple shield for about a minute then took it off and she would latch way better. The trickiest part was to not spray everywhere! 

• Options
    You guys are making me so nervous! My nips have been super sensitive lately to the point where I can't wear a tshirt without a bra around the house without feeling like my shirt is made of sandpaper. And I still have an inside baby! Better buy some stock in coconut oil and Vaseline!  :/:#
  • Options
    mrsrep123mrsrep123 member
    edited May 2017

@Cubslove12 I can't comment on causes, but as far as symptom relief, try Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter! The stuff is AMAZING! It creates a moist environment @mdlorenz described and heals it pretty quickly. 

Eta posted too soon

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    Another vote for lanolin. You don't need to clean it off before feeding. Not sure Vaseline is edible. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    Vaseline is fine as long as you're not icing your nips like a cake. 

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplehealing/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    So I've been using lanolin, it helps, but she is feeding so much that it doesn't seem to have time to work... the LC suggested pumping for 5 min before, then feeding her. I'm trying that, but at night It's too hard. 
  • Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    @Cubslove12: I have the same issues you have, and it feels simply awful! I love everyone's responses... and I just tell myself, I only have to make it through this one feeding session, that's all... because thinking globally/months ahead, it seems daunting... so: just one day at a time, one hour at a time.

@vrj0522: great latching advice!
    @mcvgal: my recollection is like yours, that it's just for the first few weeks, and then the process evens out.