September 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 5/11

2»

Re: UO Thursday 5/11

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Now I'm questioning if I should actually circumcise my son, lol! We always just assumed we would, and that it's just what you do. After reading this, I went down the Google rabbit hole, took my husband with me and now we are totally confused on what the right decision is! Ah!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• Options
    @stephy_p  I'm right there with you. I always assumed that we would do it until there was actually a baby boy to worry about. It's actually a very tough decision for us. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    stephy_p said:
    Now I'm questioning if I should actually circumcise my son, lol! We always just assumed we would, and that it's just what you do. After reading this, I went down the Google rabbit hole, took my husband with me and now we are totally confused on what the right decision is! Ah!
    That rabbit hole is realllllllll.

It's a decision I'm struggling with. My knee-jerk reaction is never to do something just because "everyone does it." And it's on the decline, even from a decade ago. 

If we circumcise, it's a decision about HIS body that he had no part in making, and it's a decision he can never undo. That's where my major hang up is for doing it. But I've also heard a slew of awful stories about it needing to be done later in life (ranging from a few years old to full grown man) for medically necessary reasons, and then those boys/men remembered the pain and the process (as opposed to as an infant). 

Ultimately whatever we decide, we need to be able to explain to our son if he asks us why when he's an adult, and given the thought we've put into it, I am comfortable that we will be able to.
  • Options
    I'm adding to the circ debate. 

I thought long and hard about it with DS 1 almost 5 years ago. I agree with the sentiment that I didn't want to do it "just because everyone else does". It's not common practice in most other countries, and that made me questions it more.

I talked with lots of pediatricians, (I work in the medical field). Nearly all said they circed their boys and generally recommended did, but were totally supportive of not doing it. I finally decided to circ him. I also thought about cultural norms- maybe that's not a good enough reason for some, but it was part of the decision. 

Then came DS 2. He was born with fluid on his kidney and he's had 3 surgeries to fix the obstruction. Our urologist was adamant that he get circed. A kidney infection could be deadly. Medical necessity is an obvious reason to circ, but it did give me the opportunity to discus it with a pediatric urologist. He 100% supports circs at birth. Circs later in life, even at age 1, are not as easy. We have boy 3 on the way and he said with out a doubt to circ. 

• Options
    wineren said:
    My UO is that I actually really like my co-workers. Like, people in general suck, but all of co-workers have been there the whole time we were trying to get pregnant and were all overjoyed when we found out. My supervisor burst into tears she was so happy. They all keep bringing me things for the baby and checking in about how things are going in a not irritating way. They get more excited about baby news and ultrasounds than half my regular friends. And I do mean literally everyone in my office...there are only 13 of us so it's not huge but it's great to have such a supportive environment and knowing that I will have that when I go back to work too.
    I really like my co-workers too! Up until a year and half ago I worked in a small organization where my boss and her boss (the deputy and executive directors) were horrible mean people who only cared about themselves and made everyone else's lives miserable. As a result, everyone at the office kind of had an "every man for himself" attitude and didn't really support each other that much. My boss would treat things like pregnancies and medical problems as a nuisance to her. I could not be happier that now that I'm pregnant and having a somewhat challenging pregnancy (as of this week I have to work at home full time due to short cervix and bleeding from low placenta), I am in a working environment that is amazingly supportive. My boss was genuinely happy for me when I told him I was pregnant and has been really great as I've had to deal with complications. My staff and co-workers are really kind and supportive people and have been great about offering advice (in a non-annoying way), giving me hand-me-downs, and just being there for me when things have been hard.
  • Options
    @jena333-2 I know someone who had to have it done in college.  Had a "something about Mary" style accident.  He says it was real rough.  :#
    *TW* 
    Me: 35 | DH: 38
    Met: 2007
    Married: 2013

BFP #1: 06/21/16                MMC: 08/04/16
    BFP #2: 01/08/17             DD: 09/23/17 <3
    BFP #3: 06/10/20             EDD: 02/11/2021