September 2017 Moms
Options

Getting our backs back!

Hi ladies!
Back pain can be inevitable in pregnancy (or so I hear) and as a FTM I must say that my back hasn't felt "normal" for a couple weeks now (I'm 23w).  Prenatal yoga, chiropractors, various exercises, sleeping positions, etc. -- I want to hear it all!  What has helped you, what is helping you, and what have you noticed about back problems in pregnancy?  Also, I know that it can take time postpartum to "get our backs back," so there's probably helpful stuff to know about that recovery period, too.  Thanks for your thoughts, personal experience, and suggestions!

Re: Getting our backs back!

• Options
    I guess I'm posting to my own discussion thread, haha.  But I wanted to say that I started prenatal yoga last week and it has been great, but it seems like my back has gotten a bit worse, probably because it's just that time for me... The instructor recommended I sit on an exercise ball when I am at my computer, which I've alternated with my regular office chair but I haven't noticed any miracle cure or anything... Also, I try to sleep on my side holding a pillow but I always seem to wake up on my back!  Not much I can do to control that... ;-P
  • Options
    We talked about sciatic nerve pain in the symptoms thread this week, that's the worst bit of my back pain. A coworker suggested cat-cow stretches and that helped with that specific  pain immensely
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Chiropractor. I saw one with my second baby and started seeing one again at 12 weeks with this baby. Night and day difference. I was having severe back pain to the point of not being able to move at all without shooting pain. I'm feeling great now and they aren't adjusting me a ton either. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    winerenwineren member
    A Snoogle pillow (so amazing), a maternity belly band starting around 19 weeks (there is a HUGE difference when I forget to put it on before work) and my amazing chiropractor. I had severe back issues before pregnancy due to a car accident when I was 16, and they're actually better during pregnancy so far weirdly enough - overall anyway. However, I still have an appointment with the chiropractor tomorrow afternoon because when they act up they're worse than usual.
  • Options
    I have Scoliosis so get back pain, been seeing a chiropractor since I was 14. Said Chiro, however, adjusted me when I was 37 weeks with my first and Pop! Went my water on his adjusting table haha! 2nd baby I continued seeing him but avoided getting adjusted after 30 weeks. We have since moved so I still need to find a good one here. 

I recommend having someone (professional or hubby, parent, etc) give you a massage whenever you feel right or pain and right after, apply a thin layer of BioFreeze - it's a godsend! I've gotten it from my Chiro but I've seen it for sale at Target. 

I also now sleep with a Snoogle, it's amazing. With my first 2, I used a regular body pillow and the pain different then vs now is less so for me, it was worth spending the $$.
  • Options
    Thank you all for sharing!  Very helpful. 

I have never seen a chiropractor, but I heard about a good one (according to two pregnant people I know).  Should I just make an appointment, or maybe I should ask my doctor first?

BioFreeze sounds worth looking into, as well as the body pillow/Snoogle.  Thanks again!
  • Options
    Snoogle is life. 

I got one maybe a month ago due to severe hip and lower back pain at night and do not know how the hell I survived my first pregnancy without one. Honestly I do not foresee myself stopping using it after baby comes either. Poor hubs.... I'm always flopping it around with me in bed when I change positions and whacking him with it. Haha whoopsie

I have such an urge to crack my back but, just cannot get my bump over enough to make it happen. it's driving me insane! 

• Options
    I also think they are considerably less on Amazon then if you go to say Babies R Us or the like. 

• Options
    I'm back on partial bed rest and I'm right there with you on back pain. My doctor suggested getting in the pool, she pretty much said the water is a miricle worker and takes a lot of the weight off/lets the baby kinda float and you feel almost normal again lol (I don't know if it's warm enough where you live though). 
  • Options
    I got my snoogle at bed bath and beyond and used their 20% off coupon!
  • Options
    I was in the bath a lot.  I agree with the water taking the pressure off.  I also worked at a desk all day and was in agony.  I used a cold back wrap.  I never considered cold, but if you think, all the changes could potentially cause inflammation.  The wrap I had was belt style, not uncomfortable at all and came with three gel packs.  I used them through the day periodically and as a side note, because the gels were a large size, flat and gel didn't move, I used them to sit on post labor to help with the pain and swelling.  Just a suggestion, cold doesn't work for everyone but I really benefited from them. - https://kingbrand.com/Back-Ice-Packs-and-wraps.php?REF=34PV4.280

• Options
    Chiropractic, massage therapy (the kind that might hurt a little but helps a ton- you MUST go to someone well versed in prenatal massage,) and snoogle. Otherwise just stretching and trying to remember to wear my support belt.
  • Options
    Snoogles are the best! I got one 3 years ago when I was recovering from hip surgery and have been using it ever since. Treated myself to a new one when I got pregnant as my old one was getting really flat.
  • Options
    I just got my snoogle today. Can't wait to use it tonight
  • Options
    I've never had any back problems outside of pregnancy, and didn't have any with my first one. This time around I've gained weight faster and notice a stiffness sometimes in my lower back (I'm currently 22 weeks). For me the best way to combat it is working out - especially back and ab exercises. I find the plank position particularly helpful. I have tried the Snoogle but disliked it - I tend to turn a lot at night, right up to the end, and have to drag the whole body pillow with me every time. Maybe I'm snoogling wrong, but the old-fashioned pillow-between-the-legs thing works best for me. 
  • Options
    You can't go wrong with swimming, working out (carefully), and prenatal yoga, in my opinion.  I'm still on the fence about seeing a chiropractor, since I have never before, but I'll ask my OB tomorrow.  Fortunately the terrible pain I was feeling last Thursday night was temporary, and must have been because I overstretched in yoga!  Beware of relaxin, that hormone that causes you to overstretch without knowing it.  I went to yoga again this week and tried to be mindful of overstretching, and it doesn't seem like I did this time (phew).