Baby Names
Options

Girl name help!

PpunkiexxPpunkiexx member
edited May 2017 in Baby Names
Which of these two names do you like more? My husband and I keep going back and forth and can't seem to decide on the one we want. This will be her middle name, not first. 

Yael
Rachel

Yael is pronounced like Ya-Elle, not like Yale, the university. 

Re: Girl name help!

• Options
    mb0112mb0112 member
    Rachel
  • Options
    Rachel
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think this is a choice that needs to take into consideration your location and heritage or else it's going to be a lifetime headache for you and your daughter 

• Options
    I should also mention, this is for a middle name. But we're not concerned about flow. Just trying to pick the nicer name. 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @bbiutmcph We're Jewish, so we're trying to pick a Hebrew name. We're from Canada, but currently expats. We could end up in Korea, or Spain, or Turkey. Likely many different places during her lifetime. 
  • Options
    I would use Yael then especially in the midd

• Options
    NME44NME44 member
    Rachel
  • Options
    Given your heritage, I like Yael. 

• Options
    Another vote for Yael!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yael. It's different and beautiful!
  • Options
    silvergreensilvergreen member
    edited May 2017
    Totally <3 Yael. I love the name Noelle for a girl, so I think that's why I'm a fan. I like unique or unusual names with heritage, and I personally think Yael is beautiful. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yael 
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input :) We really appreciate it!  
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    So hubby today suggested that we use both names. None of the names are long, including our last name, so I feel like it could work. He also suggested hyphenating. Apparently that's what people do now? Haha! So the full name would be Ella-Rachel Yael. That's not too much of a mouthful, is it? 
  • Options
    If you love it, it sounds fine. Personally I don't care for double names.
  • Options
    Both are beautiful. I like Rachel. 
    Lauren + Scott
    B/G Twins Elijah(Eli) and Abigail(Abby)-05/14/2015
    Baby #3 due November 26th 2017

• Options
    JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09 member
    edited May 2017
    Ppunkiexx said:
    So hubby today suggested that we use both names. None of the names are long, including our last name, so I feel like it could work. He also suggested hyphenating. Apparently that's what people do now? Haha! So the full name would be Ella-Rachel Yael. That's not too much of a mouthful, is it? 

(Stuck in the box!) Personally, I think that it's too much. I'm not a fan of double middle names, but I think that Ella Rachel Yael would be less cumbersome for a child than Ella-Rachel Yael.

• Options
    Rachel
  • Options
    It's okay but I'm not a fan of double names. I'd do Ella Yael and save Rachel if you have another.
  • Options
    That's also a good suggestion. To save Rachel for another. Unlikely though, as I'm 38 and hubby doesn't think he wants another. 
  • Options
    Ella-Rachel as a first name is a mouthful. I would stick with just Ella and one middle name. My vote is Rachel, but either is fine.
  • Options
    Hubby has said he'd like to call her Ella-Rae if we go with Ella-Rachel. But honestly, I agree with all of you that a hyphenated name will just be a pain. But without hyphenating, I feel like maybe we could pull off Ella Rachel Yael, or Ella Yael Rachel. But it seems most people are against two middle names. 
  • Options
    If you do the double FN, the whole name is very -el heavy. If he wants to use Ella Rae as a NN then use just Rachel as the MN. 
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ppunkiexx said:
    Hubby has said he'd like to call her Ella-Rae if we go with Ella-Rachel. But honestly, I agree with all of you that a hyphenated name will just be a pain. But without hyphenating, I feel like maybe we could pull off Ella Rachel Yael, or Ella Yael Rachel. But it seems most people are against two middle names. 
    I would much prefer two middles versus double first 
  • Options
    lm45678lm45678 member
    Ppunkiexx said:
    I would much prefer two middles versus double first 
    Definitely.

My preference would be Ella Rachel, but Ella Rachel Yael or Ella Yael Rachel is better than Ella-Rachel Yale by a mile. A long mile.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I think we've decided to go with just Ella Rachel. Might add a second middle name, Deniz, as suggested by mom who is Turkish and it's her favourite Turkish name. So it'll either be Ella Rachel, or Ella Rachel Deniz. It's pronounced like Dehn-IZ and means ocean. That's not terrible, right?