November 2017 Moms

FTM Questions for STM+ -- April 17

1235»

Re: FTM Questions for STM+ -- April 17

• @MississippiCatfish thanks for answering @av2323 question. I had the same one!

@zigzag8412 I have kind of a similar feeling (i think) I assumed it's my uterus.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This one is for moms with kids 2 years apart.

My little will turn 2 a month after baby is due. I'm kind of on the fence about things I will need two of. Crib vs. toddler bed, extra pack n play (we travel a lot), extra highchair, etc? I'm just not sure what stage my daughter will be in at that point. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks to those who answered my water breaking question (sorry I'm not tagging, too lazy to scroll right now)... I'll talk to my doctor but she'll probably say the same. Hopefully this time my water doesn't break first thing! It probably won't though. 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ooodalollly I don't have kids 2 years apart (yet) but DD just turned 2 last month and she has been in a toddler bed for the last 2 months or so. We kept the crib up just incase we needed it but she LOVES her toddler bed and doesn't get up out of bed unless we tell her to. Once we had her bed set up she never went back in the crib. Also we have her in a highchair, but she can eat in chairs if need be. It's all really dependent on your child's behavior as you get closer to your due date. 
  • am+mommy said:
    It's all really dependent on your child's behavior as you get closer to your due date. 
    I was afraid of that  :D
  • slaven said:
    @jka427 My dr checked my blood sugar at 8 weeks. The office didn't tell me they would so I didn't eat well before hand (4pm apt) and it was a bit elevated. I don't even have a history of diabetes and I'm not overweight, but I live in Korea right now and by Korean standards I am. I know that doesn't help you though.....

How stupid is it to fly with a baby at about 6-8 weeks? I'm due 11/10 based on LMP however I'm measuring ahead and ovulated earlier. I was thinking to visit family in Massachusetts from Georgia for Christmas but wouldn't make that drive with a baby in the winter. It really depends on where we get stationed in January after DH's training. If we get somewhere other than NY it may be one of the last times we get to see family for a while since our duty station choices include Alaska, Washington, Colorado, and Germany (and then NY). In the end, I don't think we will. 
    I flew alone with my son when he was 3ish weeks, and then back home at 4.5 weeks 
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• am+mommy said:
    It's all really dependent on your child's behavior as you get closer to your due date. 
    It does really depend on your child and their temperament. Our age gaps will be 21 months, 19 months, and 21 months. We decided to bite the bullet and buy a second crib. SOO glad we did. DS1 stayed in the crib until he was 3 years and 1 month old!  I was six months pregnant and he was too heavy to me to safely put in the crib and take back out a few times a day! DS2 will be 3 in 2 months and he's still in the crib. We'll keep him in there until I can't lift him in there over and over too. My kids are jumpers, climbers and overall rascals, but they don't climb out of the crib! Having them contained is priceless to me. I swear, this last baby will be in a crib until kindergarten;)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Question for anyone

What is safe to wear for tick prevention? We went for a short hike today and I just found a tick on MH...ew. He checked me and I was ok but we have a hike planned for tomorrow and now I'm nervous 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @2Dash @DuchessOfCambridge I hadn't polyhydramnios with ds3 (it essentially means too much fluid) and yup, it was like a tidal wave when my water broke! And I was very strict about my labor with DS1&2 about having limited contact with anyone basically while I was laboring, but when the actual pushing part happened, more people just tended to come in to help out. And with DS2, he was really sick at birth, I was so thankful that there were all of those doctors and nurses there to help. I honestly don't know if any males were in the room at that time, there was just so much going on. 

@ooodalollly DS3 and LO will be much closer in age than 2 years (only 15 months), but I have already started to acquire an extra high chair and pack and play (and soon another crib and double stroller) just so that we have what we might need and we can always not use it if we don't. I'm a planner and need everything ready for the "what-ifs". 
  • tashandmatashandma member
    edited April 2017
    Things that are worrying me (way in advance): my water breaking. Where did your water break and how did you handle it? I keep picturing being at work and having the floodgates open in my office and being horribly embarrassed.
    So my water actually broke at work while I was on a phone call!! One of my colleagues rang a stupid noise maker bell and it must've scared the baby because he kicked and I felt a pop! Thankfully it wasn't a TON of fluid right away, just a little. I did have to have someone finish my phone call while I ran to the bathroom to verify and ultimately drove home. 

ETA I didn't start active labor or even having contractions after it broke. I remember being so nervous driving home alone just in case I started having huge contractions or something. But instead, got home, showered, and walked around the block a few times with the older kids. Contractions held off for like 5 hours or so! 
  • They broke my water at the hospital because I was induced since I was already 4 cm dilated. The pitocin wasn't doing much except give me horrible contractions but once they broke my water everything went fast.

I only go to female OB/GYN but I could've cared less who ended up being in the delivery room. I think there did end up being students in there. I was in so much pain and so hungry and tired I just didn't care.
  • I never went into labor on my own, but I kept a spare trash bag in the glove compartment of my car. Just in case my water broke and I didn't have to leak on my seat on the way home/to the hospital. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's interesting hearing how different everyone labors. My LD nurse told me she hears lots of stories of people laboring similar to their moms/sisters. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Both my mom and sister had quick births which is why I headed to the hospital early. I was 6cm and water still did not break. The doctor broke my water and DD was out 22 minutes later. I am terrified of going into quick labor this time because I work 45 minutes from the hospital now. 

I am pretty modest and really thought I would care who was in the room but once things really get real you don't care as much and you just want anyone that will get that baby out!
  • @hopeful87-2 reading your post just made me super anxious bc my work is an he and fifteen minute drive from my hospital. Eek. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @hopeful87-2 I would say that was true for me. My sister doesn't have kids yet but my mom had long labors. We chose a hospital 45 minutes from our home and I wasn't ever worried about it. Which turned out fine because I labored almost exactly 24 hours. 

And I second the modesty thing. Once you're in the throws of it you really don't care who sees what.  :D 
  • Thanks for all your water breaking stories ladies! Totally understand for some modesty became less of an issue and I have heard it before, but it definitely won't for me. :) I'm modest to begin with and religion furthers me not wanting a male besides DH in the room especially in that area. I've asked a male ER dr to leave the room before and only allowed the female PA to check me out. I know it isn't anything sexual and if it is legitimately medically necessary there's nothing I can do but definitely bringing this all up with my OB this Thursday!

• @hopeful87-2 my mom labored 48 hours with her first and a little over an hour with me. I split the difference with 23 hours with DS. We're planning a home birth this time so at least I'm not too worried if my second comes super quick like hers did. 
  • @jess0211 didn't mean to make you feel more anxious (sorry!). What was helpful for me was that my doctor checked me at 36 weeks to see if I had started dialating (I had) so I wasn't totally surprised when I went into labor (he had told me it would probably be in the next week). I am going to have my doctor check me again this time so I have a heads up and might take a week of maternity leave early if I am able to get the heads up. Also, I had contractions before they broke my water, it didn't just happen out of the blue and my daughter was super low (which I was very aware of bc it was so uncomfortable!) which led to my fast labor. It's pretty rare for such a fasr labor especially if you are a FTM.
  • @hopeful87-2 My mom had long labors and I don't have any sisters but my labors were 12 & 10 hours.... so not like my moms. 
  • @jess0211 didn't mean to make you feel more anxious (sorry!). What was helpful for me was that my doctor checked me at 36 weeks to see if I had started dialating (I had) so I wasn't totally surprised when I went into labor (he had told me it would probably be in the next week). I am going to have my doctor check me again this time so I have a heads up and might take a week of maternity leave early if I am able to get the heads up. Also, I had contractions before they broke my water, it didn't just happen out of the blue and my daughter was super low (which I was very aware of bc it was so uncomfortable!) which led to my fast labor. It's pretty rare for such a fasr labor especially if you are a FTM.
    I know it can be an indicator, but being dialated doesn't necessarily mean labor is coming soon. I walked around for 3 weeks dilated to 7cm, but not in labor, with my DS. Once labor did start, I would told to get to the hospital immediately because the docs were worried I would have a super fast labor. Didn't happen. It still took about 12 hours from when I first thought it could be labor until baby was born.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @hopeful87-2 my sister and I had almost exactly the same labor with our first children. The big difference was the pushing time but we literally had all the same issues with our cervix. 
  • I had a doula and we haven't started researching one yet for this baby. She was great and so supportive. When I was in fits of pain and wanting to leave the hospital in labor I gave no f**ks about who was in my delivery room. I was so focused in I barely remember DH or the doula being there. 
    I will be delivering at a teaching hospital and know it's quite possible I'll have students in and out. I'm fine with that. 
  • @hopeful87-2 thanks! I am actually hoping my boss will let me work from home the last week or so.

I've started looking at breastfeeding supplies.  I'll be breastfeeding and pumping but I have no idea what to register for. My insurance pays for a pump but as far as accessories, bottles, nipples etc. There are so many options! What do I really need and what brands do you recommend. Also, my FSA can be used for breastfeeding supplies...anyone know what that might include? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jess0211 said:
    I've started looking at breastfeeding supplies.  I'll be breastfeeding and pumping but I have no idea what to register for. My insurance pays for a pump but as far as accessories, bottles, nipples etc. There are so many options! What do I really need and what brands do you recommend. Also, my FSA can be used for breastfeeding supplies...anyone know what that might include? 
    I have BCBS and their process for getting the pump was super easy. There's a website that you go to to shop, which had about 8-9 different pumps to choose from. As far as supplies go, I only needed some comfy nursing tanks, nursing bras, milk storage bags, nursing pads in case of leaking and nipple cream. I know a lot of moms use a bf pillow as well.  I didn't even use the bags until I started trying to pump extra when preparing to return to work. As far as bottles/ nipples go, my lo would only take the MAM brand with the nipples that are sort of flat. The shape was similar to my own nipple when he would nurse. I would recommend not buying a bunch of one specific brand because you never know what your lo will or will not take! I hope this helps a little!  :)
  • Ditto what @tashandma said about not buying too many of one kind of bottle. Some babies will run you through every option of pacifier and bottle until you find the right one. Some babies are flexible or they just get lucky with the right ones early on lol

ds would only take mam pacifiers, but conveniently the few times we bothered with a bottle the one that came with the pump worked. 

• @tashandma thanks!!! I had BCBS too, I still need to call them.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ArtificialRed thanks!!! I guess I'll just get a few to start.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jess0211 you're welcome! P.S. if you're still in your first trimester you could sign up for the healthy pregnancy program with BCBS ! At the end of your pregnancy they give you like $300 for post baby/baby gear like a jogging stroller or gym membership, etc. 
  • @tashandma thanks!!! Where did I do that??

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jess0211 Just call the nurse line number and tell them you'd like to enroll in the pregnancy program. 
  • @hopeful87-2 It didn't end up being true for me. My mom had short and easy labors with all her children--she went natural for 5 births! My sister had to have 2 c-sections so I don't know how she would have labored. My other sister had an extraordinarily long labor, somewhere around 48 hours. I labored 14 hours, needed pitocin because I wasn't progressing, and was in a lot of pain at only 3.5 centimeters. 

The only funny thing that we share is that my mom, sister, and I have all had the experience of our water breaking first thing (although that only happened once for my mom, I think). 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • jess0211 said:
    @hopeful87-2 reading your post just made me super anxious bc my work is an he and fifteen minute drive from my hospital. Eek. 
    I'm nervous too. My hospital is a good hour away, more if traffic is bad, and I delivered my son while contrax were still 5 minutes apart. I foresee some nervous too-early visits to L&D  :s
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]