December 2017 Moms

Cloth Diapering?

Does anyone cloth diaper or plan to? I want to CD but DH is still a little unsure about it. What brand/type of CD do you use/plan to use? Tell me everything! 
Me 29 I Him 26
Married 4/22/16
TTC 9/2015
**TW**
BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
TTCAL 6/15/16
BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
BabyFetus Ticker
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Cloth Diapering?

• @rachswi I am pretty set on the BG free time so I'm so glad someone uses and loves them! Everyone looks at me crazy when I say I want to CD, but seriously I cannot imagine spending so much money on regular diapers. Plus I feel guilty about filling up landfills, haha. Do you have to rinse off the wipes like you do the diapers? 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • FTM planning to CD! Happy this thread is here and hope the info/tips keep rolling.
  • I generally don't because I'm lazy. If there's a giant glob of poop I'll dump it into the toilet but otherwise I don't bother. The washing machine takes care of it no problem 
  • @rachswi if it's not too much trouble, when you get time, could you give us a rundown of the cleaning routine for your diapers? 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I am still on the fence, but very interested in CD. Anyone know how it would work with daycare? I'm probably going to switch to part time (3 days/week), ask my MIL to cover 1 day (she is an ardent CD'er), and then daycare for 2x/week.

Then again, I am a pretty low-energy lady, so I may end up just being SAH eating bonbons and asking my baby-child to fetch their own food  :p
    TCC since Feb 2013
    No, I'm not an early bird, but that doesn't mean I'm a night owl.... I guess I'm an afternoon duck?
    Type A personality, Type B body
    First BFP with donor sperm 04/11/2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I cloth diapered my DS for a year. The first 5 months after he was born I used disposables because I was all alone and my hubby was deployed and I didnt feel like taking on the extra task of dealing with the washing and whatnot. I ordered 18 of the Alva brand pocket diapers which worked for us. They are more affordable than brands such as bumgenius. I just couldn't see spending $20+ on one diaper! I never used all in one style cloth diapers but I heard they were more convenient. I breastfed the entire time DS was in cloth diapers as well. Because he had breast milk poos, i just put the diapers straight in the wash without rinsing them off. I highly recommend getting a wet bag to put dirty diapers in while travelling. I used a diaper genie at home and put them in there until it was time to wash as to prevent a smelly room. Sometimes if they were really dirty, i would soak them in warm water with detergent before washing. If not, I washed them on a regular cycle (making sure to take the inserts out first and washing the inserts and covers together) with Tide detergent. This might bother sensitive skin but I had no problems with DS on that matter. I line dried them in the sun which helps to get out stains and also is gentler on the diapers. 
  • I also use BumGenius all in ones. I have a few Flip diapers that I use when the others have run out, along with a few Grovia diapers that are also good (they have inserts that snap in).

We started when DD was about 4 months (she was just too tiny before that and we didn't buy the newborn size). It has been pretty easy to manage. I recommend using the liners from 18 months on (the poops get harder to manage).

We don't use a sprayer and just put the dirties in a wet bag until laundry--I have about 12-15 diapers and wash them every 3 days.

I do a soak cycle, then a regular cycle using Charlie's Soap. Then I dry on low heat. I wish I hung them to dry, but currently convenience is winning (I also usually wash them late at night, so the sun isn't out to dry them).

We did a nanny-share, and the nanny was fine with using CD. I'm hoping she'll be potty trained by the time preschool starts in September.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @afternoonduck you'd probably have to check with the daycare specifically. Some I know are super accommodating to CD as long as you provide everything and extra and some require disposables. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • @ilikestars089 Yes, I forgot about the cloth wipes! Those were so nice and gentle on his skin.

Me: 36  DH: 41
    DS: 07/03/11
    TTC #2: July 2016
    BFP: 4/19/17 EDD: 12/31/17
  • This is a great post! I've considered CD with both my boys but I've been too intimidated to actually do it and you ladies are giving me confidence lol. Maybe I'll try with this one...
  • We are cloth diapering our 22 month old still and I love it!  We use disposables when we travel.  Honestly I've tried every single kind. Less work would be the all in twos. All in ones take too long to dry, in my opinion. There's an app called diaperswappers and you can buy used diapers if that doesn't gross you out, then you just strip and bleach them!  
    The alvas and "china cheapies" on Amazon work just as well as any other kind, for us. 
    Join the group " fluff love and cd science"  on Facebook, find your washing machine, and establish a good wash routine right off the bat. That's one thing that I made a mistake on!
  • @rachswi Thank you SO MUCH!
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Absolutely! I'm sure there's stuff I missed so when my insomnia kicks in during the night and I'm lying awake contemplating who knows what, I'm sure more thoughts will pop into my head and I can offer some more thoughts.  :#
  • @afternoonduck our daycare doesn't have a problem with CD, but it was also a question we asked when we toured. They don't clean them but I don't expect them to. We provide a large wet bag and they just put all the dirty diapers in there and we take them home and launder them. You may have to give a brief tutoral if they are not super experienced with them but its worked great.

We've cloth diapered the twins for 2 years and love it. We plan to CD the next baby too
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• aspjeaspje member
    We will be cloth diapering. We have been planning for a year to have a baby, so I've bought them here and there over that time. We have all the diapers we'll need and a friend offered to loan us her NB diapers (AIO's)! We have a mix of prefolds, fitteds, covers, and pockets. I'm sure I will buy a few more before baby gets here though!
  • ktcakes87 said:
    Does anyone cloth diaper or plan to? I want to CD but DH is still a little unsure about it. What brand/type of CD do you use/plan to use? Tell me everything! 
    YUP!  We cloth diapered DD who is turning 4 next week.  She was potty trained around 2.5.

I LOVED IT.  and I plan to cloth the next one and may even take it a step further with cloth wipes (I already have some).

I use bumgenius.  I love the 5.0 and 4.0 diapers, which are pocket diapers and you can just stuff them with what you need for different absorbency levels.  There are some all in ones that they make that are also great but he pockets are the most convenient for us!

DH was very skeptical at first but one time during Xmas we were completely out of disposables and all the stores were pretty much closed-so no going out.  I was like, "well good thing we have cloth!" and we haven't gone back since. 

And maybe TMI but the last couple of years I have been using cloth pads for myself during AF and I LOVE them.  I buy them from Pink Lemonade.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Together since May 19, 2001

Baby #1 was born in May 2013.

Baby #2 was born in December 2017.

• @afternoonduck it depends on the daycare, you will have to ask!

• Sorry for the multiple posts ladies.

Love this thread!

Wanted to add that we have hard water here so we wash with tide original powder and little borax.  I use shout free & clear for anythiing I think might stain.  I first do a quick wash and then I do a heavy duty wash.  We have no issues with stains or stink, everything is so fresh and clean.  We dry the liners in the dryer but the pocket diapers and anything with PUL gets air dried-which is super nice on a sunny day like we had here today.  
    I just prefer to air dry them because in my mind I think they will last longer some how.

The bumgenius ones we use only have snaps, I was never a fan of the velcro ones.

We didn't use a sprayer til DD was on solid foods and even then her BMs usually just plopped on into the toilet.  She was ebf and those diapers don't need to be rinsed.  

We used a big hanging wet bag in the bathroom and washed every few days.  I am not going to say how many diapers we have because I am embarrassed it's too many.  :X

I will say when we were using disposables it was disgusting every time having to take out the trash..so I will go for washing the cloth any day over taking out the nasty trash!  haha!  Something about washing it all makes it feel so fulfilling.

• We plan on cloth diapering.  There is a class at our local granola parents shop that DH and I will attend...walks through the types of diapers, differences between brands, and best cleaning practices.  Last time I was pregnant I watched an insane number of YouTube videos on cloth diapers.  :-)  
  • @mrsorigami I've been really tempted to try the reusable pads but have been uncertain about how all that blood would do in the wash and how gross and stained they'd become. Could you message me about what you do? Obviously I have a while till my period returns but I'm interested!
  • I second @mrsorigami velcro is nice when they're little and your changing a diaper half a sleep in the middle of the night but it doesn't hold up (I've had this experience across several brands) so snaps all the way!!
    @rachswi I have not used reusable pads but I <3 my diva cup, it is AMAZING!! I would strongly recommend looking into one and I have not had any problems with leaking or needing to use a pad/liner for 12+hrs!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• We plan on cloth diapering.  There is a class at our local granola parents shop that DH and I will attend...walks through the types of diapers, differences between brands, and best cleaning practices.  Last time I was pregnant I watched an insane number of YouTube videos on cloth diapers.  :-)  
    Definitely do the class!!  I will say the fluff love and cd science website has all the best tips for troubleshooting and washing. I think someone mentioned it above. 

Also not sure but is your username a tori amos reference?   If so, extra hearts!  :)

• I'll happily second @wabash15 's Diva Cup love and recommendation! It's the best! <3
  • We use pocket diapers from Amazon.  They're about three dollars each, and we bought 24.  We use flannel receiving blankets for inserts, but we don't bother tucking them into the pockets; we just fold them and lay them in the middle of the diaper.  If my daughter hasn't yet pooped that day, we lay a flushable insert on top of the flannel.  I have used other inserts, and flannel is the most absorbent, in my experience.

We use disposables at night, because the amount of padding necessary to absorb all the urine hurts my daughter's back.  We also use disposables when traveling or out of the house.  Our diaper bag is full enough without keeping dirty diapers in there.

We just unfold the flannel and toss everything in the wash with all my other clothes.  I always wash on 'hot' with plenty of Tide with color-safe bleach.  I run through another cycle after the first one without adding detergent, to make sure there is almost no soap residue (it irritates my skin).  We have a rolling clothes rack with two levels that I use for drying; I hang my flannels and diapers on the top short rack, and the rest of my clothes on the bottom rack.  We have a dehumidifier to prevent mold from the extra moisture in the air (we live in an apartment and cannot install a dryer).

May Signature Challenge: TV Moms
    television comedy absolutely fabulous GIF

• @mrsorigami -- As much as I love Tori Amos, it's actually an America the Beautiful reference.  My emphasis in graduate school was on nationalism studies.  I'm not sure anymore why I picked that as my handle here though...maybe because I had a picture to go with it (gender-swapped Capt. America in an amber field of grain.)
  • I cloth diapered both my kids. My youngest is still in diapers. I used disposables for a while in the beginning with both of them until they were big enough for the OS. Newborn cloth diapers are adorable, but not nearly absorbant enough.
    I use BG 4.0 (pockets) and Flip covers. I put prefolds in both, skip the microfiber inserts, they don't absorb enough.
    I follow the recommendations from Fluff Love & CD Science (or whatever it's called) on their FB group. I have a toilet sprayer that I use to spray off the poop (which I highly recommend). I do a quick wash with a little Tide or Persil to get off the yuckies, then a main wash with more Tide or Persil. 
    Once you establish a routine, it becomes relatively easy. 
    We still keep disposables on hand for nighttime, church nursery, etc.
    🎈 Hello
  • I recently bought a BG 5.0 (it has the pocket) because we've been leaking at night. I've used it once. I personally don't have any desire to cloth diaper, but decided to give it a try for nighttime. Once I get paid, Im going to pick up another shell and try and make an actual effort to CD at nighttime. But with the new baby, I probably won't CD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ***lurking CD nut***

We plan to CD and I have my whole stash very nearly complete!  There are some different nighttime solutions out there - I have heard rumparooz (which come with a double insert) and grovia ONEs are good AIO choices for nighttime, but we will plan to have fitteds + wool as our go-to nighttime solution.  Not all fitteds are created equal however, but people swear by the sloomb ones for overnights.  You can often find them for less preloved on ebay or other diaper bst sites if you want to save.

Our main stash is made up of covers + geffen prefolds and geffen doublers.  We also have a stash of various AIOs/pockets for caregivers, quick changes, possibly diaperbag etc. then bamboozle fitteds for naps/quicker changes, and working on finishing out with my sweet sweet sustainablbabybish/sloomb fitteds. + wool.

There's definitely a lot of info out there, so just do your research and go with what makes sense to you!  There's no one-right-way to CD these days, and you'll hear a million different opinions, so ultimately you jusy have to go for it and decide what works for you!  Most daycares, if they are receptive to CD, will want you to bring AIOs/pockets tho.
  • @businesswife - I got all excited when I saw you were the latest poster on two threads here and thought I missed a miracle announcement.  Sounds like you're all set on cloth diapering!  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Awww, @Tennis11785. You are so sweet! ❤ but you didn't miss anything... :/  wish I could AW my stash tho cos I recently finished up all my aios and they're just so purrdy. ;)
  • @BusinessWife really is full of CD knowledge! She talked to me about it last year! 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Shucks  :*  <3 @ktcakes87
  • I'm planning on cloth diapering and honestly I really want to start an active group about it 
  • hey all. Is there any newborn ideas?  I saw the recommendation on Bum Genius are there any others? is there a cloth diapering set that would be good to start off on with a budget? https://www.amazon.com/Noras-Nursery-Pocket-Diapers-Inserts/dp/B0153SP86E/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1500237567&sr=8-8&keywords=cloth+diaper&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

@BusinessWife
    @rachswi
    @mrsorigami