October 2017 Moms
Options

Mental Health Check-In 4/4

2»

Re: Mental Health Check-In 4/4

• Options
    @buttercream_frosting Thanks lady. This and potty training are the last two big hurdles in the foreseeable future. He has zero interest in the potty so I'm just trying to focus on the toddler bed for now.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    For mamas starting to feel scared or anxious about pregnancy, baby coming, labor, etc, Someone else shared this video with me, and I think it's a really good way of looking at fear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yvkawQkkfj8

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi I've just discovered this thread and it's great to know I'm not alone. I've struggled with depression for nearly 25 years, since I terminated an unwanted pregnancy at 16. I don't think my hormones ever recovered. I'm finally ready to face motherhood now I am 40, but after a mc last year at 9w, followed by 6 months of IVF it has been crazy hormones all around. I'm just into my 2nd tri and I have had no motivation or interest to do anything, even to get out of bed, for the whole time. I've spent 3 months on the sofa, sleeping, surfing, feeling exhausted. Here's hoping the 2nd tri bring some positive changes...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    shan24shan24 member
    edited April 2017
    So, I'm just gonna jump in here. I don't have a history of mental health issues personally, but my sister and my father both have anxiety disorder, so I know it's in my family history. 

This pregnancy my anxiety is through the roof. I'm very sensitive to sound, it seems, and I'm often finding myself having to take time outs from my son, because he's a boisterous two year old. One time, it was so bad, I had to call my SO upstairs to finish giving him a bath so I could go outside. In the rain. 

I spoke to my doc, and she told me to keep an eye on it, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I guess I'll have to mention it again. I talked to my sister who is urging me to take time off work and to come visit her, but as a teacher I get no vacation outside of the prescribed days, so I'd have to take unpaid leave and we can't afford that. 

I hate feeling this way. It makes me feel like a bad mommy :(
  • Options
    Mental health peeps:  I am having a tough go the past week or so.  My psychiatrist is basically not seeing me because I'm pregnant, and my counselor and I are taking a "break" which makes sense from a counseling standpoint...but basically no one gives a fish tart how I'm doing from a mental health standpoint right now and TBH it ain't that pretty.  And I don't know if it's my meds or hormones or some combination of those or if it's actually getting worse and I need a doseage change.  And it is just FRUSTRATING.  I wish ONE of the people who's SUPPOSED to pay attention would.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Boobopgirl. Can you talk to your OB? I can't understand why your psychiatrist doesn't want to care for you while pregnant.  That seems wrong to me.  I'm sorry you're having a rough go.  Anything you want yo unload here? I'm terrible with advice most of the time but I'm a good listener.
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Eh,  I don't know that I ever fully recovered from the depressive episode I had in November...but around that time, i was helping with an event and a bunch of older ladies ganged up on me about my parenting...said event is twice a year and there's another one coming up...everone assumes i'll be involved because I love this event but..after last time....having people gang up on me when i was already in a bad place...i'm literally shaking in my boots thinking about it.  There are other things that I can't mention but there have been a couple other things that really shook me in the past few months...including the loss of some very dear relationships...and I'm just kinda lost.
  • Options
    @shan24 I'm so sorry you're feeling overwhelmed right now but I'm glad you have DH to share the parenting load. Youre not a bad mom! 

I definitely think its something to bring up with dr again. I hope you get a better answers this next conversation! 
    **April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Brambles23Brambles23 member
    edited April 2017
    I'm so glad this thread was started...

I had a nervous breakdown/major depressive episode fall 2015.  It was bad.  Really bad.  It was enough for me to actually seek professional help (albeit, it took a few more months after that to get the energy to make the phone call).  Looking back, I've had an anxiety/depressive disorder since high school (I'm 33 now).  I never really developed good coping mechanisms in high school and college...I kept so busy that I didn't have time to really deal with what was going on.  

I've been seeing my psychologist for over a year and he's been wonderful and I feel I'm in a much better place than I was a year ago.  But I do worry about postpartum depression, and he's also suggested that I read some literature on it "just incase."  Prior to becoming pregnant I also tried a few anti-depressives, ultimately landing on Wellbutrin.  However, since being pregnant I've stopped taking it because it can be harmful to the baby.  But my psychologist also suggested that I feel that I really need to take it, it's okay because in the end the benefits actually outweigh the risks (mental health of the mother can effect the baby).  I haven't felt the need to take it, which I'm glad but I do have "those days."  

I sometimes worry that I'll fail as a mother because I don't have family out here in California to rely on.  I have my DH family (and that's great), but they have their own stuff going on (DH mom is going through her 4th round of chemo, SIL is dealing with some mental health issues of her own that has put a strain on his family).  I lost my mother to cancer when I was 14 and my father suddenly passed in 2014.  BUT, I do have an awesome support network of friends that I consider family, which is great.  Many of them are already parents and are able and willing to jump in to help if needed.  It just sucks that I don't have my own mother to talk to while going through this journey.   
    June 2017 Siggy Challenge:  "You had one job to do!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Brambles23 you will not fail as a mother for lack of family around!  It's great that you have an awesome support network of friends!  I live in CA too and I don't have any family here.  I don't even have an awesome support network of local friends, but I do have an awesome support network of friends and family that are reachable by phone/text/facebook and often times (aside from any hope of free babysitting) that is just as good! 

It's great that you are already seeing a psychologist so you can get the extra help you need if necessary when the time comes!  

• Options
    I had pretty bad PPD with DD2 and looking back I think I had it (undiagnosed) with DD1 as well.  I'm pretty worried about getting it this time around too, especially with twins.  I gave up breastfeeding around 6 weeks with #2 because I was at my wits end and my psychologist said I couldn't take an SSRI while breastfeeding.  I've heard from others that their doctors said Zoloft was safe, so I'm debating seeking a second opinion from a different psychologist this time around if I end up needing medication.  I don't mind giving up BFing, but I just think it would be so much easier in the MOTN with twins in the early days, and also if I bottle feed two I won't have a free hand to facebook/bump during feedings.  #priorities ;) 

• Options
    Thanks @TallMomma29.  It takes a village, amirite?  
    June 2017 Siggy Challenge:  "You had one job to do!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had pretty bad PPD with DD2 and looking back I think I had it (undiagnosed) with DD1 as well.  I'm pretty worried about getting it this time around too, especially with twins.  I gave up breastfeeding around 6 weeks with #2 because I was at my wits end and my psychologist said I couldn't take an SSRI while breastfeeding.  I've heard from others that their doctors said Zoloft was safe, so I'm debating seeking a second opinion from a different psychologist this time around if I end up needing medication.  I don't mind giving up BFing, but I just think it would be so much easier in the MOTN with twins in the early days, and also if I bottle feed two I won't have a free hand to facebook/bump during feedings.  #priorities ;) 
    Here's the deal with SSRIS and breastfeeding:  Most of them are safe and certainly safer than risking severe PPD.  Transfer into milk is low and the risks to the babest are minimal if any.  To me, breastfeeding benefits totally outweigh the small risks of taking the medicine, especially compared to the very serious risks of letting my depression go unchecked.  Unfortunately, many Dr's don't delve into the research themselves enough to really know, they just see that there are potential risks and say no.