June 2017 Moms

FFFC - 4/21 Edition

Re: FFFC - 4/21 Edition

• I am over buying tissues for my classes.  They go through them so quickly and I am tired of spending my money.  I sent them to the restroom and my desk now has a pile of toilet paper/paper towels on it for those that need to blow their noses.  No more excuses to get out of class and no more money out of my pocket. 
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Loading the player...
  • mkrelmkrel member
    I have probably asked every question that people complain about as being insensitive at some point in my life.... when are you going to get engaged, when are you having kids, do you want another, are you hoping for a boy or girl, why do you not want kids.... the list goes on. I am more concious of it now especially after dealing with a loss. Hopefully I never really offended anyone.... 

• I have a Justin Bieber song stuck in my head. I'm FAR too old for that to be happening.
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • I've sort of been avoiding having a lot of important baby conversations with DH because I'm afraid it will just cause arguements. We have a list of things including vaccinations, circumcision, visitors in the hospital, birth plan, etc etc etc that we have talked about in groups at prenatal classes, but not specifically with each other to make any decisions.

It just seems like everything related to baby makes him so stressed out that his anxiety takes over and I end up talking to "Mr Hyde" instead of my husband. He dislikes our midwives and our doula, there was the whole disagreement about him wanting to throw our own baby shower, and frankly I'm just sick and tired of everything related to baby being a huge fight and being about how he feels about it. 
  • @CapricaAndrea That doesn't sound like fun. Is there an approach to decision making which is less likely to turn your husband into Mr. Hyde? For example, if you "schedule" discussions in advance, do it when you're both more relaxed (e.g., over dinner on a weekend, while he's half-watching tv), or even ask him if it's a good time to talk about baby-related topics? You could also try to position it a question where you haven't yet made up your mind.

Unsolicited advice over now - good luck. I know this has caused you stress over the last few months.

Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
  • BellaO21 said:
    I rarely participate in this thread because yes, 31 weeks in and I still don't know what FFFC stands for.  :#
    I don't even know if that statement qualifies to be here or not, lmao. 
    You've done it correctly! FFFC = Flame free Friday confession : )
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
  • Kylieslip24Kylieslip24 member
    edited April 2017
    Me too. Live and learn. This is why I don't mind when some young inexperienced one asks an insensitive question. It's the people with kids and old ladies asking that annoys me. @MKRLTX
  • c1tym0m22 said:
    BellaO21 said:
    I rarely participate in this thread because yes, 31 weeks in and I still don't know what FFFC stands for.  :#
    I don't even know if that statement qualifies to be here or not, lmao. 
    You've done it correctly! FFFC = Flame free Friday confession : )
    Woo Hoo!!! :)

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • c1tym0m22 said:
    @CapricaAndrea That doesn't sound like fun. Is there an approach to decision making which is less likely to turn your husband into Mr. Hyde? For example, if you "schedule" discussions in advance, do it when you're both more relaxed (e.g., over dinner on a weekend, while he's half-watching tv), or even ask him if it's a good time to talk about baby-related topics? You could also try to position it a question where you haven't yet made up your mind.

Unsolicited advice over now - good luck. I know this has caused you stress over the last few months.

Thanks. He has requested that we write everything down as we discuss it, sort of like a pros and cons list, and also a way to keep track of what has been said or not. When he gets worked up he tends to not absorb the information that I tell him (though he would never admit that, and I'm not sure he even realizes it) so then we end up going back and forth on "you never told me that" vs "I've said it 3 or 4 times". So I'm on board for writing things down, which also means specifically setting aside time. We actually have most of this weekend free so I'm hoping to get at least one or 2 good conversations going that end positively. At least I know that for most of the really controversial topics we're of the same mindset if not the exact same details. 
  • I've spent way too much money on beauty products while pregnant. I don't know if being pregnant has me desperate to feel pretty or what, but I'm constantly buying different types of face masks, tanning lotion, bath salts and balms, makeup, manicures etc. I've always liked those things before, but I feel like I've been a little obsessive over it lately. 
  • FSUNole31 said:
    I am over buying tissues for my classes.  They go through them so quickly and I am tired of spending my money.  I sent them to the restroom and my desk now has a pile of toilet paper/paper towels on it for those that need to blow their noses.  No more excuses to get out of class and no more money out of my pocket. 
    This happened to me last year, and I sent out a note to all my parents just saying with all the germs, sickness going around that our class was out of tissues and hand sanitizer, and if they would please send some in with their child it would be greatly appreciated.  I got a ton... not only did it last me until the end of the year, but I had some to start off the school year as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My FFFC: I miss my kid so much right now I am thinking of leaving work to go get her for some extra snuggles.

This is the last day of Spring Break and a optional Teacher Work Day for us (so there is like a total of 5 teachers here).  I came in because I have a lot of work to do before the end of the school year and I thought it would be nice to catch up, or even get ahead... My dad is supposed to pick up DD3 from daycare because I have a paint party tonight with some girlfriends and DH is working 2nd shift... but I miss her so terribly I really am thinking about skipping out in an hour or so and going to get her and then just taking her to my Dad's before the paint party.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bribed my kids to be good while I cleaned by telling them id take them to chick fil a for lunch.  They almost never eat there oddly but love to play.  So even though it was their bribe it was totally for me.  Win win?? 

Im almost 34 weeks and we haven't decided on a name.  Im starting to worry this baby will not have a name. 
  • My 18 month old still only drinks milk from a bottle. I have tried different kind of sippy cups, open cups, everything, and she won't do it. She drinks water no problem from any of these cups. This week I have had some luck with a straw, so we'll see if that pans out. I'm so ready to be done giving her bottles before nap and bed, and it is pretty ridiculous and embarrassing that we are still doing that. 
  • @ellie111227 I'm assuming you've already been at this long enough to have tried this, but how long have you attempted the milk from a cup each time? DS had been drinking water from a cup since 6 mo, but refused milk for 2 days (except from bottles) when we started switching cups for bottles at 11 months.  I was freaking out. On the 3rd day he acted like there was no problem at all and has been fine with milk in straw/open cups ever since. We still do the evening milk in a bottle though since he's only 12 months. 
  • @ladylolly89 I tried the open cup for about a week, but I haven't revisited it for a couple months. That's a good suggestion. I never pushed it too hard because she was still breastfeeding until about a month ago and I figured that might be making the transition harder, but it ready really needs to happen now. I'll try the open cup again if the straw doesn't work out.
  • @ellie111227 my 18 month old still takes a bottle for bed and nap, I was getting stressed about it but I figure he will give it up when he is ready. He has perfect teeth, he doesn't take a bottle any other time besides those two times so I'm not trying to add to my stress by making him cry it out over a bottle. 
  • Although I did tell my pediatrician he was done with bottles because I was embarrassed so I understand @ellie111227
  • @ellie111227 have you tried different temperatures of milk? My DD liked her milk warmed in a bottle, but then slowly reduced her milk intake and stopped drinking it all together. A couple of weeks ago I gave her some cold vanilla almond milk just to see if she'd drink it and she loves it... she will only drink it from a straw or a 360 cup though. 
  • FSUNole31FSUNole31 member
    edited April 2017
    @ellie111227 my daughter only drank milk from a bottle until she turned 3 (I guess this is another good confession for me!). She had one nightly before brush teeth time.  I would use the monkey covering it's face emoji here.  I found these tall nuk sippy cups now that are her "milk cups" and she does really well with them.  Let me see if I can link them to see if you tried them before.  We just took the handle part off.
    https://www.amazon.com/NUK-Ounce-Jungle-Learner-Handles/dp/B01DDKJCCK/ref=sr_1_8_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1492797827&sr=1-8&keywords=nuk+sippy+cups

Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14

• @doodleoodle Her bottles are pretty much cold milk now (I've been weaning off of heating it) , so I hadn't thought of warming up other milk, but maybe I should try it. Thanks!
  • @JessyKV I am 34w2d and still have zero names.  We are team green and trying to decide two is torture right now because we can't agree.  Also, re: bribing, my son has been sleeping well this week thanks to the promise of silly string on Saturday.  ;)
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14

• I still feed my kids whole milk even though their pediatrician recommends 2%.  I tried giving it to my son a few weeks ago and he spit it out and asked why his milk tasted so horrible  :D
  • @CurlyMommy416 I still give mine whole milk and have zero plans to switch anytime soon.  
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14

• @CurlyMommy416 We think this is why I won't drink milk. Since I was about 2! My parents apparently switched me from whole to skim and now if it splatters on me or anything I gag. But breastmilk and formula doesn't bother me. I won't even try almond milk or anything like that. I guess it's a mental thing at this point.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @danij0 Think of it this way: by giving you free stuff, you're going to spend money (to utilize the completion discount) at the store. So no cheating at all - just an incentive to get you in the door. (Feel better?)
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
  • mamaelle27mamaelle27 member
    edited April 2017
    @ellie111227 @Allybiery Unsolicited advice, try the Nuby No Spill Super Spout (without handles). They come in 2 packs on Amazon.  DD is 20 months and we just finally got her to switch a month or so ago. She'll drink water out of literally any cup or water bottle but refused milk from anything but a bottle until I found these cups. The mouthpiece is kind of similar to a bottle nipple and I think that's why it works as a transition from the bottle. Although if that doesn't work, don't stress, they all give up their bottles eventually!
  • @CurlyMommy416 I don't keep up on these things but hasn't research came out that the fat in whole milk is more nutritional or something? Can anyone confirm that?
     I don't think our Ped ever told us to switch but I'm sticking with whole milk and full fat yogurt for a while.  My kids are skinny stinkers and need all the fat and protein they can get.  Neither drink very much milk as it is.  
  • @JessyKV I believe there have been some preliminary studies showing that consuming full fat dairy correlates to lower rates of certain health problems later in life (I think obesity was among them, which is interesting), but I don't think there has been anything conclusive enough to warrant a change in recommendations or to figure out what exactly the reason is that that correlation might exist. Personally, though, I feel like as long as the child doesn't need calories limited in general due to weight issues or something, there probably isn't any reason to make the switch. Dd is only 18 months, but I'm not really planning on switching her anytime soon. Her percentiles for weight are always way lower than her percentiles for height, so unless that changes I'm not planning on cutting out any healthy high-calorie, high-fat foods. Especially since it does seem like more research might show that we should all be on full fat dairy anyway.
  • danij0 said:
    I would like to confess that I have signed up for 4 registries to get all the completion discounts and free swag. I only have two actual registries set up and public, but I feel like I'm cheating the system and needed to get that off my chest. I'm sure I'm not the only one. 
    Also throw any other free stuff hacks my way :)
    Yep, I have private registries just for free stuff and completion coupons. I also lie about my EDD to get my coupons earlier.
    Ooooh lying about the EDD did not even occur to me! 
  • Thanks @ellie111227 that's what I was thinking too.  My DD has always been below the 5th percentile for weight and my DS usually falls in the 10-15th percentile for weight.  They are both 50th percentile or so for height.  I like to get in as many healthy fats as I can and neither of them are drinking all their calories and then not eating.  I know some of my friends struggle getting their kids to eat if they drink too much milk.  
  • DD is in the 75th for height and the 95th for weight, and the doctor told us at her 18 month appointment that we should switch her to 2% when she turns 2.  Sigh.  She does kind of drink a lot of milk.  I worry about her hating it, but I also worried about switching from breast milk to whole milk and she was totally fine, so I'm sure it won't be a problem.

+1 to the Nuby soft spout cups.  That's what DD takes her milk out of most of the time too, though I think daycare gives them hard spout cups.  She has a Camelbak kid's water bottle that she carries around all day for water.

• Maybe this is a confession on its own...we all drink whole raw milk. I'm slightly lactose intolerant so the majority of my milk needs to come from a raw source. It tastes better I think and dd loves going to the farm to pick it up. She always thanks the cows. 
    I'm really not worried about it being raw. Both dh and I come from dairy farmers (our grandparents)and all the babies in the family were healthy and there were a lot of babies and pregnancies back then! 
    She was only on breastmilk until 2 1/2 though. 
  • Maybe this is a confession on its own...we all drink whole raw milk. I'm slightly lactose intolerant so the majority of my milk needs to come from a raw source. It tastes better I think and dd loves going to the farm to pick it up. She always thanks the cows. 
    I'm really not worried about it being raw. Both dh and I come from dairy farmers (our grandparents)and all the babies in the family were healthy and there were a lot of babies and pregnancies back then! 
    She was only on breastmilk until 2 1/2 though. 
    I've been drinking raw milk too! There's no way I'm buying our kids 2% no matter what a pediatrician says. Healthy fats (like what you get from milk) in general are not bad for you. I don't care what supposed "research" says. 

And my confession: I cried yesterday when I looked in the mirror, and saw I was getting stretch marks on the underside of my belly.