May 2017 Moms
Options

UO 4/20/17

Tell me your opinion and I'll tell you why you're wrong... Just kidding, this is May we'll all probably agree

Re: UO 4/20/17

• Options
    @kayemjay2 ME TOO! It's like a reflex.

I don't have an UO yet... I'll keep thinking.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I secretly judge women who don't at least try Breast feeding. Yeah it can be hard, but to make up your mind pre-birth that it's not worth trying is crazy considering we know the benefits of breast milk far outweigh those of formula. I also judge women who don't try to give up smoking when they find out they're pregnant (looking at you MIL and SIL). 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jayandaplusjayandaplus member
    edited April 2017
    I agree with @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot about chiros. I've known some, I've been to them, but all in all, I don't believe in their practice and think massage therapists and PTs far outweigh chiropractors in terms of legitimacy and efficacy.

ETA: Yes @bacorrea on hair. You said it well.
  • Options
    @bacorrea yes! Have fun now because when you are older and have a job etc it's not as easy to experiment. I don't know if I would allow crazy shaved in words but overall let them do what they want 

@NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot Yes! I don't understand how a medical profession can "fix" someone for a few days only to feel like crap again and have to go back. You aren't fixing the problem. I agree that PT and OT are much better options and actually help fix you than Chiros are. I also whole heartedly disagree with taking a newborn or baby to a chiropractor. 
  • Options
    Ok, so I'll be the weirdo who has a differing opinion on everyone else!! Maybe just because I've had a different experience, but I think that a knowledgeable chiropractor can be a lot of help, depending on your circumstances. I fully agree that some are quacks and don't know what they're doing, don't get me wrong there!  But I also know that I couldn't walk without wanting to cry this morning from pelvic pain and back pain, and after a quick visit at lunch I'm better. I'm not claiming to be perfect, as if I weren't pregnant, but I know that I can walk to the bathroom without having to stop 4 times because of pain! LOL

We also did three months of PT with DS because he had torticollis when he was younger. We were seeing very slow improvement and that's when the recommendation of the chiropractor came up. Literally immediately after his first adjustment (which for everyone cringing is nothing like an adult's adjustment!) he was able to latch onto my left breast, which he hadn't been able to do. By the third or fourth visit, there was a noticeable difference in his ability to hold his head up and look both ways. I still bring him about once a month now just to get aligned.  Would I trust him with some dude right out of school who is working at one of those chain places? Not a chance. But I like who we see, and will likely continue to take him to see her for a while.

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • Options
    I love my minivan!

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    redheelerredheeler member
    edited April 2017
    I secretly judge women who don't at least try Breast feeding. Yeah it can be hard, but to make up your mind pre-birth that it's not worth trying is crazy considering we know the benefits of breast milk far outweigh those of formula. I also judge women who don't try to give up smoking when they find out they're pregnant (looking at you MIL and SIL). 
    Some doctors actually recommend not giving up because the stress of giving up is worse for the baby than the risk posed by smoking, or something like that, don't know exactly. H's cousin smoked through all 3 of her pregnancies and all 3 kids were low birth weight and now have asthma. Go figure.

I also agree with you on the BFing, unless there is a medical reason you can't, then what do you have to loose by trying? I didn't want to with DS, but I still did in hospital and the first day at home, I figured the colostrum was the most important part. I will do at least the same this time, but may try harder, we will see.

Eta: to reply to other topics;

chiros- in some cases I believe a newborn should see a chiro, I mean the whole "watermelon out of a hole the size of a lemon" that watermelon is their head, attached to their neck and spine, things can go wrong and adjustments may be needed. I don't believe all newborns will need it though. They also have great benefit for adults... possible TMI; H has an awful back for the whole times we had been together (he's worked in construction, farming etc, lots of manual labour) he had been to PT's had massage, acupuncture etc etc he went to a chiro who did some sort of scan on his back and neck plus x-rays and found exactly which vertebrae were out of alignment (which was most of them) and had a list of symptoms that go with each vertebrae being out, the ones that were really out, matched H to a T (we're talking things like not maintaining an erection properly, trouble getting an erection etc) 
    one adjustment made a world of difference, (not just in the bedroom) he was a different man. 4 months of 1-2 visits weekly, he now hasn't been back in 6 months and can move like a real person again.

re cars: No minivans! Ever! Death to the minivan! Give me my V8 and my clutch pedal, and my bucket seats. I will NOT have more than 2 kids, because I will NOT get rid of my car! Cars are my life they're apart of who I am and I will not give up that part of my identity.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    @emilyalso - I absolutely love my minivan! I remember being really torn between a minivan and 3 row SUV when we decided to buy a new vehicle and based on what was considered as more "family-friendly" we decided to go with a minivan and I don't regret it at all. I never really understood the sliding doors either until we got our minivan and I realized I don't ever have to worry about my kids swinging the door open and hitting other vehicles!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    @Kipperoo there isn't toddler formula there? Formula here is done in stages with different vitamins etc in each one, stage 1 is 0-6 months stage 2 6-12months there's also a stage 3 and 4 which I never used but they're basically both for toddlers who aren't getting everything they need from food, so it's some extra vitamins.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    There is formula for toddlers here; the most prominent is called PediaSure, which has protein, fiber, and vitamins (brought to you by the makers of Pedialyte, which is a rehydrating electrolyte drink to use when they're dealing with vomit or the runs).
  • Options
    Late one: I think baby/kid moccasins in general are ugly and a gross example of cultural appropriation.  Just totally hate the trend. 
  • Options
    SKZW said:
    There is formula for toddlers here; the most prominent is called PediaSure, which has protein, fiber, and vitamins (brought to you by the makers of Pedialyte, which is a rehydrating electrolyte drink to use when they're dealing with vomit or the runs).
    I totally forgot about Pediasure! Yeah, I guess that is toddler formula! 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I won't touch the BF vs formula with a 10 foot pole.
    Re: chiros. I find chiropractors to be less quacky than massage. I also put them at the same level as PT, which I find to be over used. I go to the chiropractor for my issues, but if I didn't get the relief I did, I would've tried PT. In the end, all the 3 really do is get some muscles to relax and others to tighten and strengthen back up. 
  • Options
    @emilyalso I never wanted a minivan until we rented one on vacation. Holy crap was that the easiest to get everyone in and out of! Now I totally want one, but since we drive our cars until the wheels fall off that will be a while. Also I nearly peed my couch laughing at the raccoon thing. 

@Hansolosparka I'm not 100% sure what that is. Is that like those freshpicked shoes?
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The breastfeeding topic is a touchy one. I breastfed my son for a little over a year and for some reason I felt that I got the opposite reaction from some of my family. Like they were asking when I'm going to stop and am I going to be "one of those people" who breastfeed a five year old. Someone in my family walked in the room while I was breastfeeding my son with a blanket covering and she laughed and was like oh wow I'm sorry and laughed. When he had a bottle people would always ask if it was breastmilk and then laugh or make jokes about getting it on them. Honestly I feel like I got judged for breastfeeding and not using formula! 

Speaking of minivans... This video makes me laugh out loud for real. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pUG3Z8Hxa5I

• Options
    @Louise_Belcher yes those are the ones I'm thinking of!
  • Options
    As a teacher, I'd never be able to pick out the kids who were breastfed or not. The only time it sometimes gets brought to my attention is during the social history part of the evaluation...and even then, I don't think that information is necessary.

My UO- mayo on burgers is trash. When sonic came up to RI, I was so excited, waited in line for 40 minutes, only to be handed a burger slathered in mayo. Gross.
  • Options
    kat81kat81 member
    I
    saric83 said:
    This is kind of a random one, but I hate the idea of upgrading to larger and larger houses to keep up with the Joneses.  It's a very normal/expected thing in my bubble where people have their "starter home", which is typically at least 1500 square feet in good and safe neighborhoods with 1/4 acre yards, and now we're at the age where everyone is upgrading.  Usually, they're not adding more bedrooms for large families or anything like that.  It's just to slightly nicer features with same sized yards but houses that are usually just quite a bit bigger (2500+ sq ft), and many of them are having to go further and further into different suburbs to get it within their budget meaning their commutes to work are an hour + each way.  

To each their own, of course, but I find it incredibly annoying when we get asked all the time when we're going to get our next house when we've only been here for four years, and it's 2000 sq ft with four bedrooms that we got an awesome deal on at a crazy-low interest rate.  Um, we're never leaving.  But when friends find out how much we make, that's always the first thing they ask, as though they assumed we were staying in our house simply because we couldn't afford a bigger place or something.  It's so bizarre to me. 
    ah yes, totally all of this! Our house has 3br and about 1700 sq ft. While the 4th would be nice given that we'll have 3 kids, we are sure we're not moving! We can convert the playroom to a bedroom if needed, and there is a tiny finished room in the basement if needed. Bigger house = bigger hassle. Not for me.