August 2017 Moms

Clothing and Accessories

Re: Clothing and Accessories

• Ok ladies, my shoes are a bit tight end of day...looking forward to the warm flip flop weather.
    So I am wondering if anyone has any favorite shoe for when the feet start to swell. My office is very causal-leggings, sweaters type of looks. 
    My toms are too tight EOD and I don't want to just sit here in my socks. Favorites? 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 my office is super casual as well, and I usually just take my shoes off! I like to wear flats, so I bring a clean pair of socks to put on, but between that and putting my feet up (thanks to the recommendations from people yesterday in the randoms thread), my legs feet and back all felt better today! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @smallbutmighty77 my last office was super casual so I could wear flip flops. Sanuks were my life. The yoga mats are amazing. I believe they make flats as well 

• I got my first Pink Blush items from Zulily today! The clothes are incredibly soft and fit so well. I'll definitely be buying a few more tops from Pink Blush and maybe another maxi dress for my second shower. I love that the maxi dresses have empire waists and could probably be worn post pregnancy as well. I need one in every color! 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• I am a penny pincher, and I have found most of my maternity clothes at Ross, believe it or not! There and Kid 2 Kid! I'm all about cheap, but cute. Sooo ready for consistently warm temps. I'll live in sun dresses this summer!
  • I signed up for Le Tote yesterday since this is hopefully my last pregnancy and I just want to just rent some new-ish clothes for the next 19 weeks. I was extremely disappointed in their selection, but did manage to put together a tote I am somewhat looking forward to. Can any other Le Tote users share outfits they really liked? 

@Kathryn0903 for underwear I highly recommend hanky panky. I didn't have it during my first pregnancy, and underwear was just so uncomfortable. Hanky Panky has been life changing ever since. They are so stretchy and comfortable and I wear them any stage of life/pregnancy without having to buy new underwear (I like the regular and low rose thongs and bikini briefs). They are expensive though so don't recommend them for the first week or two postpartum! I usually buy a few every year at the Nordstrom anniversary sale.

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• @donehue I am a Le Tote user, it can be hit or miss on maternity just because how it fits, where you are showing, etc. The pieces by Noir maternity have worked well on me, Summer & Sage stuff is a bit thinner material so it shows a bit more, like pant lines-which I didn't love. Maternal America and Olian fit well too. Olian hoodie tunics are super comfy. Just got my first Jules & Jim piece and it shows off the bump really well! I always customize my tote. I will say when I am confirming a tote end of week it seems to have more options than if I am confirming over the weekend/beg of the week. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
  • Where are you buying maternity swimsuits from? Or are you sticking to a bikini? The bottoms of bikinis aren't comfortable right now. 

Unfortunately, avoiding swimwear isn't an option. I have an 8 and 5 year old and season passes to Hurricane Harbor, plus my grandparents have a lake house. Lol! I'm stuck wearing one. 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @AdvoCyndi30 I went up a size in both tops and bottoms (from a M to a L) and it's worked great for me to have two new bikinis to work into the rotation. A few size M I have fit okay but I had to try on all of them and figure out which ones could work. I ordered 2 new bathing suits and just made sure they were a lower cut bottom and they have been very comfortable (this weekend was high 70s here so I got some use out of them already). Maybe you can try some on in store instead of ordering online? I do see maternity bottoms online but they seem to curve drastically low and like they would look weird post-partum and I would rather purchase something I can wear while not pregnant, especially depending on how long it takes to lose the baby weight since I'll still have a couple more months of bathing suit weather where I live.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22 Good point! I will go try some. Right now, I'm frustrated with my body because my belly is BIG and my boobs aren't, so I look whompy and disproportionate. Lol! 

Are you in a southern state? I'm in Texas, so it will definitely still be warm for a month or two after delivery. 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @AdvoCyndi30 I am in Northern California - the beaches are cold still but we've already had a good number of 80 degree days the past month. Probably same boat as you with the weather in Sept & Oct post-baby.

• @smallbutmighty77, thank you! That is super helpful about the brands and order timing. Looking forward to my tote!

@AdvoCyndi30, I posted a great one piece from Amazon in this post a few weeks ago (and I always struggle with boobs not fitting maternity bathing suits). I know you work out a ton too and I think Athleta suits are great for sporty bodies - I am comfortable wearing my pre-pregnancy suits from there. Good luck!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• Anyone ever have a maternity dress altered? I bought a dress awhile back and I need to use it in a few weeks, but it's still too big.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @Kathryn0903 a coworker of mine had a maternity dress altered for a wedding she was in. They ordered it in advance and made sure it was going to be bigger so they could take it in where they needed to a few weeks before the event.

• Anyone wearing a maternity belt? The one I currently have is kind of huge in the back (I'm going to borrow a smaller one from a friend hopefully soon). I discovered I can't even get out of a chair comfortably without a belt for the time being. Any tips for dressing with a belt? I'm wearing a kind of baggy sweatshirt today.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • What's everyone doing about fitness clothes? Any good maternity fitness shirts or tanks?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @AdvoCyndi30 I was due in July with DS2.  I had maternity bathing suits from Motherhood and Old Navy.  

@Kathryn0903 I have some active maternity tops and bottoms from Old Mavy that I bought with my last pregnancy.  I can still wear some loose regular tops and bottoms, but the maternity bottoms are more comfortable.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    @Kathryn0903 - Agree with @MetsGirl18 on the looser tops still fitting. I actually have purchased some non-maternity tops on sale at target since most of my tshirts and tanks aren't really comfortable or cute anymore. Shirts with the tie on one side are actually really comfortable and don't look like a tent (I have this one and love it with the bump: https://www.target.com/p/women-s-side-tie-active-tee-c9-champion-174/-/A-51711697). I also have some great tank tops and zip up hoodies from gapfit maternity, which is probably pretty similar to old navy.

For shorts once it gets really hot, any STMs have insight into whether we can just wear our old shorts? Suggestions on styles that work would be really appreciated.

• BlackNYellowBlackNYellow member
    edited April 2017
    @Kathryn0903 I sized up 1-2 sizes in workout shirts and that has been working well for me. I found several cute inexpensive shirts at Marshall's in the clearance section too. Eventually, I'll be wearing my husbands race t-shirts because I've spent way too much on maternity wear and can't justify being cute all of the time. 

As far as pants are concerned...My workout pants are ridiculously uncomfortable. I purchased a pair of workout leggings from Ingrid and Isabel. I'm hoping they double as casual leggings that can be worn with a tunic or long top. They were pricey but the reviews were all positive. Link 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• @smallbutmighty77
    Delayed response on the shoes, but I just went to DSW and got Sperrys. I figured I'd need the arch support, they're slip on, and since they're leather they'll stretch a bit (as opposed to inexpensive synthetic). I think they're worth the splurge! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My SIL sells Lularoe and they're supposed to be maternity friendly clothing. I personally think it's kind of expensive and the pretty patterns they use in their advertising is never for sale, but I'm sort of intrigued by the comfort factor and that I could wear them post partum. Anyone have any insight?
  • @cmmiller531 Granted, I only have a pair of leggings (plain blue) and a dress. The leggings are still comfortable, but I would probably have to get a size up to wear them any further in the pregnancy because the waistline is starting to get awkward. I also think the leggings are pretty thin, so I haven't worn them much because I'm always cold. I've seen people wear the shirts while pregnant, and quite frankly, I think the shirts look better on pregnant women because they are so baggy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @cmmiller531 I love it. TC leggings and Irma tops have been awesome. I'm having a repeat c section and I'm thinking the leggings are going to be great because the sit up higher on my waist and won't irritate my incision 
  • @AdvoCyndi30 I live in Texas too! I went to Destination Maternity ( has both Motherhood and Pea in the Pod under one roof). I got a swimsuit from the motherhood side. I also bought a one size fits all cover up from there. Then I got the dollar section at Target and got a floppy sunhat foe a buck. 
  • @Kathryn0903 I bought a pair of Lululemon running capris. They have worked wonders for me so far.  I chafe really bad and can't wear shorts when I run unless I use Body Glide. I also use their sports bra called the Tata Tammer. For shirts I got some at motherhood that have the elastic on the sides. I also use a Belly Bandit belt for support. 
  • @SpotConlon @SouthernMama15 I don't have any of the leggings. I can't wear them to work so I haven't bothered. I was looking more at the dresses they carry, but like you mentioned they're so baggy and I'm afraid to look like I'm wearing a tent or to look larger than I am for $50-60
  • @cmmiller531 I'd try the clothes on before committing to anything. I think some of the dresses especially looks cute with a baby bump, but it does depend on the cut.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @cmmiller531 I'm liking LLR so far for maternity wear. The leggings are super comfy. I went with the "tall and curvy" sizes, even though I'm not tall, to have the extra room and I think I'll be able to wear them for most, if not all of my pregnancy. I also have a few of the perfect T's and one dress. I was able to try some stuff on at a sales event and buy there, so it's easier to order stuff now that I know how things fit. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • @cmmiller531 I have a bunch of LLR dresses and skirts in patterns that aren't too out there for work.  The Amelia was great to hide my bloat/bump for a while, but I haven't worn one since I popped.  I probably could still wear one though.  The Cassie skirt is really stretchy and comfortable so far with a growing bump.  I think the Julia is one of the best dresses to show off the bump.  
  • I have a black tie wedding to attend at the beginning of July.  I'll be 32 weeks. Any advice on where to get a nice dress that's reasonably priced?  I'll only be wearing it once so Rent the Runway or just buy one?  Do I need to wear a long dress?  I assume so, but that definitely narrows my options.
  • @MetsGirl18 I also have a black tie wedding to attend next month and I got a black lace Pink Blush dress off of Zulily (saved me a bunch of money). I would check out both sites, they have lots of great choices and Pink Blush usually has lots of coupons if you sign up for the emails. 
  • @MetsGirl18 also check ASOS. We had a charity event when I was pregnant with my first and I got a really nice black cocktail dress from there.  They have a pretty good price range and lots of styles.
  • @mrsjqg1024 and @SouthernMama15 Thanks for the suggestions!  Can I get away with a short dress for a black tie wedding or do you think I need to go long?  There seem to be much more shorter options, but I don't want to be underdressed.
  • @MetsGirl18 I'm planning to wear a short dress. Does your invitation say "Black Tie invited" or 'Black Tie optional"? The latter gives you a bit more leeway but from what I've read, either way you can wear a shorter cocktail dress. It's ultimately up to you and what you can find. I had a heck of a time trying to find a formal floor length gown when I'm going to be 25 weeks pregnant, so if you can't find one, then it really shouldn't be a big deal.

• @MetsGirl18 I think being pregnant also gives you a bit of dress code flexibility. I have been to many black tie weddings and almost all the weddings had one or more pregnant women at them and no one batted an eye at whatever they were in. Some even managed heels most of the night and I was more impressed by that than anything else they had on!
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
  • @MetsGirl18 there are plenty of cocktail dresses that are dressier than some long ones. I think short is fine.

We have a wedding at the end of the month. Its at 5 pm, but in a barn. These rustic weddings throw me off. Rules used to be 5 and after is cocktail attire, but I'm pretty sure you don't wear a cocktail dress to a barn wedding.  
  • Thanks, everyone!  I haven't received the invitation yet so I don't have the exact wording, but it's a family friend who's getting married and I know it's black tie (not optional).  I saw some nice fitted short dresses with 3/4 lace sleeves, but I think that may be too hot for July even though the venue will have A/C.  I hope some better summer options come out soon.
  • I put this in the FTM thread but thought maybe it should cross posted here:
    I'm in love with my latest maternity jeans from Target.
    Flare cut is harder to find, and they fit so well! A couple things if you're interested in them, at 5'6" these are the perfect length for me- I've been wearing them with both flats and wedge booties. Much taller and I think you'll be SOL with the length. Also, they run about a size large because I was a size 4/6 pre-preg and the XS fits me great. About every two weeks they go on some sort of sale.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Why is it that when you go maternity everything suddenly becomes floral and lacy? I am not very girly and all the dresses, shorts, even summer tops are all floral and really feminine. I have one dress, but does my entire closet suddenly need to be girly? I'm pregnant, not a totally different person. 

I never need anything dressy-but I wouldn't mind not looking frumpy or having some cute weekend outfits that are easy and don't blow the budget. I feel like I'm looking for a unicorn. 
    Le Tote has been great, but I could use a few more permanent pieces.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss