October 2017 Moms

Let's Talk Irrational (or rational) Fears

Re: Let's Talk Irrational (or rational) Fears

• grkgdss00grkgdss00 member
    edited April 2017
    I had an "irrational" fear last pregnancy, that turned out to be very real. Whenever i'd read in books about cord prolapse it would hit a nerve in me and instill anxiety. I talked to my doc about it, he had delivered 2000 babies at that time and saw it once or twice and assured me it was irrational. Fast forward to baby time, I was 8 days overdue and went for induction. Induction caused heart decelerations with each contraction, which led to emergency c-section, due to a cord prolapse. Baby was descending and putting pressure on the cord with each contraction. I'M SO THANKFUL that I didn't go into labor on my own (after weeks of all trying all the tricks with no luck) because my plan was to stay home as long as possible. God was on our side. 

So if you have an irrational fear, talk to your doc, have them check for things (my doc could have seen it if they looked), your fears are valid until proven untrue IMO.

I really want to do a VBAC with this pregnancy but i'm scared, since the pregnancies were 1 year apart. We will have to see how things go, but my doc is confident he does them all the time. Is it selfish of me to put myself and baby at risk, to have that "experience?" Not to mention my hubby and DD#1 if something happened to me. 

I also worry about my toddler and giving her the time/attention she needs once baby is born. I already feel guilty and worry about PPD even though I didn't have it with #1. But the thought of being overwhelmed is overwhelming :(
  • @lemonlyman that makes me feel better! I hope that our cats like the baby. Our one cat is terrified of everything (poor guy) so I think he will just stay away from the baby. He also requires very little attention. But our other cat.. oh boy.. he is needy and loves attention and being played with. I worry about him being jealous of the baby lol.

@KDeola  Thank you for the tin foil advice! I plan on setting up the baby things very early so that I can train both of the cats to not go in the crib/pack n play/etc. They love exploring things so I know it's going to take a lot of work.

@bluejeanbabi05 That's what I'm worried about- I don't want our cats to become so unimportant to us :( But I think it will definitely be different since we both love our animals so much before our babies. They are part of the family!

@mrs_fogue Luckily the wedding is only 15 minutes from where I live, so very local!

• Loading the player...
  • @beezeemarie you do get that love, that kind that is different but equal. That being said in my experience, i didn't connect to DD2 right away. that doesnt make you a bad mom, but you *know* DD1 the relationship is established. It might take a little to get that with #2. ooooOOooOoorrr you might connect right away and not be like my weird attachment issues lololzzz.
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • So I've been stalking the boards for birth stories and came across this (https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12705689/ellerys-birth-story) First of all, that name!?  But seriously this is my irrational fear.  I couldn't hardly feel my contractions last time until I was really in transition.  I'm terrified of this happening.   

• mrs_fogue said:

So I've been stalking the boards for birth stories and came across this (https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12705689/ellerys-birth-story) First of all, that name!?  But seriously this is my irrational fear.  I couldn't hardly feel my contractions last time until I was really in transition.  I'm terrified of this happening.   

That makes me super nervous, too. DD came quick and they say the second one comes quicker...I mean, it is what it is and I'll get through it. But I just really hope I make it to the hospital and that I'm not by myself (or alone with DD!) when this one comes!!!
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mrs_fogue said:

So I've been stalking the boards for birth stories and came across this (https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12705689/ellerys-birth-story) First of all, that name!?  But seriously this is my irrational fear.  I couldn't hardly feel my contractions last time until I was really in transition.  I'm terrified of this happening.   

There was a girl in my last BMB that had her baby in the car. Totaled the car.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • mrs_fogue said:

Why I will never labor at home for as long as "they" tell you to. I will only wait for them to be like 5-7 minutes apart. My hospital is only 25/30 minutes away but I won't take any chances. If I feel the need to labor closer together I will do so in the lobby before checking in! huge fear here too! 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• For all the mamas worried about kidnappings and similar bad things happening to their kids, it's actually a lot less common than when we were young since kids have a lot less freedom these days. See this article for charts that might help you feel a smidge better about it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/14/theres-never-been-a-safer-time-to-be-a-kid-in-america/

My anxieties have mostly been around all the possible rare conditions doctors can't detect prenatally. Every time a test result comes back normal I think "well, there must be something else they haven't found yet wrong with baby". I know I won't believe she's okay until she's really here. I hadn't even thought about flu season until I read through here, but now I'm worried about all of that, too. 

We also have a wedding a month before our due date that DH is in and I'm very close with both bride and groom. I'm sure our friends will facetime us in or find some other solution so we don't miss it completely, if it came down to it. But I've realized if baby comes at 35 weeks or earlier, that is potentially a bigger problem than missing the wedding. 
  • bluejeanbabi05 I had PPD with DS and BF until a few weeks before his 3rd birthday. There are several medications that are safe while nursing, you'll just have to work with your Dr. to find the right one. I wish that I would have realized sooner that it was PPD but not many people I knew talked about it and I kept thinking that I didn't get to be sad when I was fortunate to have a child. 

emwj10187 While I don't disagree with what people are saying about it being different when it's your own child I will add that some women do not bond with their children right away and that's totally fine. I'm thinking more immediate than long term but I just thought I would add in my two cents. 

• That if it's a girl, i won't love her as much as DD. I know that sounds horrible and won't be true once it gets here, but i always stay stuff to my daughter like "oh your mommy's #1 girl..." If i have another girl, I can't really say that. I know. Totally stupid, but part of me hopes it's a boy so i don't have to worry about it, lol.
  • kkerner87kkerner87 member
    edited April 2017
    And reading about everyone elses anxiety has given me anxiety that I didn't know i had. I dodnt even think about a winter newborn and more germs. Oh God lol
  • @mrs_fogue my first 2 were 14 months apart, so I get that worry. DD1 was pretty oblivious to DD2 for awhile and we did a lot of snuggling all together but now that they're older they're literally best friends...it took until recently but they play together all the time and love each other so much, it's totally worth it. It's hard in the beginning, I won't lie but seeing my girls' relationship now is amazing. 

• My irrational fear is that I may not be pregnant anymore. I know it's crazy. I don't have any cramping or bleeding but I guess it hasn't really sunk in yet that I am REALLY pregnant and that I have a baby inside me. A baby! Even after seeing LO on the ultrasound screen, on print, hearing it's heartbeat on the doppler, it still doesn't seem to make me feel at ease. I want this baby so mich and I don't know what I'd do or feel if for some reason it just goes away. I know I have to stop about these things but I can't wait til my belly gets even bigger so I'll know it's there and will stay there!

My aunt had lots of miscarriages before she had her first son, she almost had a second but for some reason it didn't have a heartbeat at 6 months along. This scares the hell out of me!

I want to go back to my doctor and listen to it's little beating heart again. I'm fighting to fight out all these negative thoughts but I can't help it.
  • @acnd08 I have a horrible  relationship with my mother and I had to fear.   So I told my husband if we ever had one girl we would continue to have  babies until we had another girl. I am so close to all three of our daughters that I can't believe I only wanted boys.   I think it's because I was so aware of how the relationship could go that I focus on how I wanted it to go.    You are not your mom and you will not make the same mistakes.
  • My huge fear is that I am going to miscarry. I had an early miscarriage last year. I have spotted throughout this entire pregnancy so far. I had an ultrasound done at 7 weeks, and everything looked great. I have one tomorrow and I am terrified that there is going to be no heartbeat/other bad news. The past week I have had spotting (once after sex, and once just randomly during the week for a few days). I have only had pinkish/brownish spotting, no red, and no cramping. I know that this can be normal, but it still scares me. I am on oral progesterone, so I don't know if that could cause spotting? Anyone know?

My other fear is that (assuming everything is okay with the baby) I won't know what to do once the baby is born! I haven't spent a lot of time around babies and will probably have to take some classes.  :D

• Ds1 and DS2 are 22 months apart and it wasn't a really hard transition. I still had DS1 on a nap schedule so when it came to getting at least 1.5 hours for me a day it was doable and I synced up their afternoon nap together. 

DS2 was born in January in Bavaria...needless to say sunlight was in short supply that time of year. Plus having a 2 year old who was very social, we didn't stay inside much. We would walk outside all the time and the cold air was really good for them! One of the things the pediatrician would always say about any sniffles or congestion would be to bundle the kids up and go outside and walk in the fresh air. So that would be my advice! 

PPD is something I'm very aware of. It's something that happens so often and even if it's not severe it's unsettling and totally hard. One thing that my midwife mentioned for this pregnancy is taking 5000mg of vitamin D now during pregnancy. She has every patient tested for deficiencies in vitD and I tested at low so now I'm taking it with prenatals. She seems to think it should help with PPD afterwards too.

I have a few fears lol! First would be going back to work. I left on maternity leave with my first and didn't go back till last year. I've never had to pump for extended periods of time, never left my babies for any time until closer to a year old or more (mostly because we were living overseas and didn't have a huge support system). I'm worried about the transition to 3...we will be officially outnumbered. I'm worried about sleeping again. DS2 still hasn't slept through the night in his own bed so I'm not sure how to handle that and still have to teach 130 high schoolers. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @lin1019 I have the same fear. Especially since the appointment yesterday when they used the Doppler and couldn't get a good read on the heartbeat. Midwife was not concerned and rationally I tell myself that there are a variety of reasons why, but I always will have that fear in the back of my brain. Until I can feel the baby move constantly I'll be afraid of the worst. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @acnd08 I have similar fears about having a daughter. I feel like there are so many more obstacles for girls in this world and I don't know if I would be any good at helping a daughter through all of that.

I am sure I would be fine but there is that little nagging voice in the back of my mind.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @jessafishy now that I know I'm having a girl, I'm worried about the world I'm bringing her into and how many rights she'll have in it. The number of past retirement age Supreme Court justices really freaks me out. 

#1 fear is that something will still go wrong and I won't get to take home my baby. 

I'm worried that I'll end up hating my MIL (I LOVE her) because listening to her talk baby talk to my nephew is one of the most annoying things in the world. I also really like my privacy and I'm worried she'll be here all the time.

I'm worried I'll be a terrible mother and have no idea what to do. I'm scared of breastfeeding hurting.

And lastly, I've had somewhat high blood pressure this entire pregnancy (diastolic in the mid to high 80s) and I've always had perfect blood pressure. I've made a point to be active every day the last week because I'm worried I'm going to get put on medicine, labeled high-risk and have to leave my midwife. Anyone have experience with that?

Whew! We're a bunch of basket cases, ladies  :D

• @bluejeanbabi05 I'm with you on the MIL situation!  Mine gets on my ever lovin nerve baby talking to my DD and calling her Princess.  I just can't stand that.  She's always so loud and in your face.  I know she doesn't spend much time with her (her choosing) so she feels the need to have fun and be silly 100% of the time she's around her.  But I just want to tell her to chill out.  No advice, just sympathy! 
  • @bluejeanbabi05 I love my MIL, but when it comes to my kids I get annoyed really quick. Especially when she opens her mouth about her own kids.  Like my kids can't possibly do something that I used to do. It's always "Oh I (insert DHs name) did that all the time as a baby." Or "You're just like your aunt (insert name). She was always blah blah blah. ". Or my favorite "I was just like you as a little girl." Nothing my kids say or do ever can be like their mom. It has to be like her or her family. Drives me nuts. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Here is another one of my fears. That's DD1 will feel too "pressured" to help. I will make a conscious effort to not use her for everything ( grabbing things for me , chsngings, feedings, etc) unless she shows interest in wanting to. I remember one of my best friends growing up who was 13 when her baby sister was born. Her parents made her help so much. She couldn't just be a kid. She was like a true second mom. I don't want to do that to DD1 unless like I said, she wants to play that role. I'm fearful I'll do it without realizing it. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Here is another one of my fears. That's DD1 will feel too "pressured" to help. I will make a conscious effort to not use her for everything ( grabbing things for me , chsngings, feedings, etc) unless she shows interest in wanting to. I remember one of my best friends growing up who was 13 when her baby sister was born. Her parents made her help so much. She couldn't just be a kid. She was like a true second mom. I don't want to do that to DD1 unless like I said, she wants to play that role. I'm fearful I'll do it without realizing it. 
    darn it! i didnt know i had to worry about this, i was counting on it haha.

Pregnancy Ticker

• i am also worried about hands. i only have 2. and 3 kids 4 and under. i dont have enough hands to get everyone across the parking lot.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @carries2018 I think it's different when the kids are younger. I'll totally bank of DD2s help lol she's 6. But I don't want to make my almost 10 year old feel like she HAS to do things. Like another chore. Sure she should help here and there because it is her sibling after all.  But I want to be conscious of utilizing her too much. She's in pre teen mode and I really need to be aware of her personal feelings etc. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @canonmom413 I think the fact that you're even worried about it means you don't have to worry about it. You already know you're going to be conscious of it. And I think helping will be good for your DD- teach her responsibility and all that. You're a great mama :)

• @carries2018 I think it's different when the kids are younger. I'll totally bank of DD2s help lol she's 6. But I don't want to make my almost 10 year old feel like she HAS to do things. Like another chore. Sure she should help here and there because it is her sibling after all.  But I want to be conscious of utilizing her too much. She's in pre teen mode and I really need to be aware of her personal feelings etc. 
    Image result for phew gif
    ok good haha. DD1 was a huge help with DD2, and now she is older she can do more. so i am expecting to just kick my feet up and she can do all the work :p thats how it goes right?

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm aiming for an unmedicated VBAC, so one of my big fears is that labor/delivery will end horribly like it did last time and I'll need another emergency C-Sec. Or my uterus will rupture and I'll die. I had a panic attack in the middle of Beauty & the Beast because the mom died of the plague and now I wonder if I'm being completely selfish in trying to have the best delivery for this child. Is it really the best for the baby like I think? Ughhhh... 

Also, DD is from my previous marriage. Although I have no reasoning behind it because my husband is hands down the best parent I could imagine, I'm worried she'll feel less important with this being both of our children and she is his stepdaughter. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @carries2018 I'm afraid of that too...Like with the girls I can have each one take a hand, they're just starting to get to the point where I can trust them to hold each other's hands. I'm definitely scared of one of them getting away from me in a parking lot. 

• I just am chock full of these. 

So, we have no family in the remote area. Everyone is 3 hours away. When DD2 was born, we had an awesome friend who took DD1 for us over night. She has since moved away :(. We don't have any other friends we trust like that with the two of them who don't have a bunch of kids themselves. I am pretty panicked we won't have a plan.  I mean worse comes to worse we just pray a family member can make it here in time to stay at the house with them. Or well, figure something out. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @bluejeanbabi05 have they tried taking your blood pressure at the end of your appointment instead? Or do you have a monitor at home to check it? My BP is always high at the beginning because I'm apparently a crazy person, and at the end of appointments I've calmed down and it's normal again. My last doctor wouldn't even bother to take it at the beginning anymore.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • @purplestars unfortunately, I did buy a cuff and it's still high relaxed at home . I'm sitting at the Perinatal office for my NT scan and just remembered I forgot to bring the cuff for them to verify its measurements.

• @bluejeanbabi05 well dang. I know there are lots of foods out there that claim to lower BP too (the only one coming to mind right now is Bananas though lol...). But it doesn't sound like yours is terribly high yet so don't stress too much about it!

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I posted about this in the ticker change thread today, but I'll post it here too.

We had our NT scan yesterday, and everything looked good with baby itself. However, the risk for Down's came back at 1:110, and it turns out it was because my PAPP-A levels are low (.31 MoM). The doctor didn't bother to actually tell us this information, so we went home and Googled (bad idea, I know). Even though my HCG is fine and the NT measurement is fine, now I'm freaking out less about Down's and more about other things I read online about the consequences of low PAPP-A, like IUGR, pre-eclampsia, and pre-term labor. We should know more after the second trimester screen.

Have any STMs+ had experience with low PAPP-A and ended up having a healthy baby?
  • @soprano19 I'm not 100% sure it's that number (they didn't send me the results and we didn't have an online portal at the time) but I know with my 2nd pregnancy a number came back low which was indicative of possible preterm labor  so it sounds like it might be that? My Down's risk was always pretty low but I remember them saying that, and both of my girls are perfectly healthy, yes born early, but healthy. They were like the most un-preterm preterm babies ever. 

• @asickles98 Thank you for your sweet words! <3 My DH tells me the same thing. That I am far too aware to make the same mistakes, and nothing like my Mom, but I can't help but worry. I am glad to know I am not alone and that you can't imagine not having your girls. 

@jessafishy If we find ourselves in the girl club, we'll just have to help one another. ;) 

@bluejeanbabi05 Hoping your BP behaves. I have horrible white coat syndrome like @purplestars and my OB's office just doesn't even bother until I am getting ready to leave. Like I'm talking 150/100 before a yearly a couple years ago. I'm a nut, I tell ya! The fact that you are anxious about it (even at home you must be worried it's gonna be high every time you check it) could make it stay a little elevated. 80s aren't too high, so I'll pray it doesn't go any higher. 
    Me: 31 DH: 35
    Married since 05.16.2009
    Expecting #1: 10.10.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • cooaladollycooaladolly member
    edited April 2017
    Oh ladies, all of this! (Well mostly the FTM fears.) I'm overwhelmed with the amount I don't know and the worries of what could, might, possibly happen, or not happen. Mainly though I'm scared with some you other women of not hearing a heartbeat again at the next ultrasound due to previous losses, and afraid of any of my testing coming back showing a high chance of abnormalities since I'm AMA. I'm afraid that we won't have our nursery finished, since we've been doing renovations for the last three years and still have so much to do. I'm terrified of not knowing how to create my birthing plan, or what to do if any part of it changes or can't proceed the way I've planned for. I'm afraid of complications in L&D or the chance of still birth or SIDS afterwards. I'm afraid that I will have no idea what to do when I get home with baby, or they will cry and cry and cry and I won't know what to do to console or comfort them. I'm afraid of PPD, especially because right now I think I may be realizing the all too real fear of pregnancy depression. As you can see, there's really not a thing that I'm not afraid of. Wait, scratch that. Thank god the one thing I think I am not afraid of is how wonderful a father my SO will be. I'm confident he will know what to do and how to comfort the both of us. But besides that it seems all I can do is plan, wait, and hope that chatting with you lovely ladies helps my confidence. Knowing that I'm not alone certainly does.

ETA: Oh! And gestational diabetes! So scared of that, and gaining weight that I won't be able to lose post pregnancy. The fears never end!
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga