Options

UO Thursday 3/30

2»

Re: UO Thursday 3/30

• Options
    @acnd08 That was incredibly helpful and reassuring to read, thank you <3

• Options
    acnd08 said:
    Re: Baby Friendly hospitals - I've been a L&D/Nursery RN that has worked nights (because days would kill me, haha) for almost 9 years. I hate this with every fiber of my being. As a Nurse that is incredibly Type A at my job....I need to see these little ones at all times.  Especially if I know Mom and Dad are asleep. I need to know they are being fed. I need to know Mom hasn't passed out from exhaustion and baby is buried under 3 blankets and a pillow (ok, I'm exaggerating a little, but you'd be surprised the stuff you encounter...). Not everything wrong presents itself at birth or immediately after. I have caught countless things in newborns because I had them in the Nursery overnight. Low blood sugar, respiratory issues, stomach issues, etc. 

I don't say all that to scare anyone or insinuate if you do choose to room in with your baby that you aren't taking good care of him/her. I am just saying that so often Mom is exhausted from hours of labor, recovering from a c-section, etc. and literally cannot keep her eyes open. My hospital wouldn't be happy to know I round my little ones up at bedtime if Mom & Dad want to utilize Nursery and I don't feel one bit bad for doing it. I've never met a little one that didn't bond with Mom & Dad because he/she stayed in the Nursery all night. 

About the only thing folks need to worry about is the Nursing staff spoiling the crap out of your baby. :lol: If we're not busy where I work, I can guarantee you everyone will have a little one they snuggle the entire shift save for trips to Mom to feed if they are breastfed. 

/soapbox 
    so much of this. i had a csection and that causes some extra fluid or something to be in their lungs that typically gets pushed out during vaginal delivery (or something, i am so not medical so this is the extremely dumbed down version). both my girls, but in particular one would have choking episodes. not only am i so grateful i could sleep easy knowing someone was watching her. but also a nurse would know how to handle the situation a lot better than i could. bc my way of dealing iwth it was running down the hall frantically screaming when all i needed to do was hold her upright and pat her back haha...you know logical things.
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @VLillyV the times I did let go a little the mother in law crossed the boundaries. She fed him behind my back and walked around the shopping mall with him without my permission. She was suddenly gone and I had a panick attack. She also always wants to wake him up so she can spend time with him. Fair enough but you bloody wait until he wakes up by himself. Father in law picked him up by holding him up by the thighs and my sons back control wasn't strong enough, so we told him not to. He did it during several further visits anyway. Urgghh...
  • Options
    i think men and women do have different brains, there have been studies how we use our brains differently. i dont think it is blanket that bc you are a woman you have a woman brain. but it seems ours is more complex and handle more at once, where men are more single task oriented. i find it interesting (and annoying) to see how H and I process things differently.
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • Options
    @carries2018 That is probably the number one thing I encounter from new parents that scares them to death. The number one reason I will go in and Mom and Dad are sitting awake looking like zombies. Section babies spitting up amniotic fluid. It's totally normal, yes, but NOT to a brand new Mom and Dad that haven't experienced that before. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the heart to leave a baby in a room when Mom and Dad look at me and say they are afraid to go to sleep. The fact that I know there are plenty of places that do just that breaks my heart. :(
    Me: 31 DH: 35
    Married since 05.16.2009
    Expecting #1: 10.10.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The hospital I gave birth at with DS didn't have a nursery. It would have been so nice for just a few hours though, DS literally would not stop crying from about 12 hours old until 36ish hours old. I was so exhausted and worried that something was seriously wrong. I'm fairly certain it's part of the reson I had a 5 day hospital stay. If he had gone to a nursery I could have gotten some sleep and maybe he could have too. 

• Options
    I totally judge when I see a super early fb share, but I also think to each her own. I'm actually a little envious of that kind of, I don't know what to call it, naive confidence? Naive has a bad connotation to it and I don't mean it in a bad way. I just mean that after 1.5 years of trying, all the money and tears, and watching so many friends both IRL and on here lose pregnancies, I will never have that blissful security.
    I saw an IRL acquaintance post like literally it must've been the day after she peed on the stick because it was like 2-3 weeks before my BFP and she had an Oct. due date. I've been around TB enough to know that's not a genius idea and I have experience with very early loss myself but I was hoping for the best for her considering she announced so early....**TW**, no HB on ultrasound at 8 weeks and she shared the whole thing on FB. I'm all for the fact that women shouldn't have to hide pregnancies or miscarriages but she was like blowing up FB talking about it.... and now I almost feel guilty announcing myself even though I'm not particularly close to that person. But definitely, I've never had that naive confidence, I went into my sequential screen praying I wasn't going to have to explain miscarriage to 2 preschoolers this morning..Thank God everything looked good! 

• Options
    I didn't really choose to send  my first to the nursery but the nurse ended up pursuing me and taking him there anyway because I was exhausted after laboring for about 24 hours and my husband was not there. In hindsight though I'm thankful that she did because he ended up with low blood sugar because of a rough delivery and then developed jaundice and needed to go to the nicu. It would have been much worse if he didn't end up going for an hour to the nursery. I ended up not getting any sleep though because as soon as I could walk again (stupid epidural took to well!) I was down in the nicu or pumping every 2 hours for about 30 min each side. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @acnd08 See I'd not send my baby to the nursery for the same reason, because I'm crazy and want to keep a closer eye on them. But I definitely see your point, we had an issue where I work recently with multiple babies being dropped overnight because mom was holding them and fell asleep and at least one resulted in a skull fx. So they have rules now about not "cosleeping" with your baby in the hospital. I had no problem with the nurses taking my girls for necessary tests or whatever but I also assisted with bilirubin draws and stuff (because I worked in peds and the people taking care of my kids were coworkers). But, I'm also weird and got freakish energy after delivering both of my kids and really didn't sleep well in the hospital anyway. I'd imagine if I had been through like >12 hours of labor I may have felt differently.

• Options
    @ac1259 - Oh, I don't know that I will be able to send this one back to the Nursery. I'm also a little crazy and will probably think I am the only one that could possibly know how to take care of this child :lol: I can see, though, how if I didn't have the knowledge you and I have that it'd be a relief for someone else to watch my baby. We'll see how I feel after I have been through the whole birth experience! ;) 
    Me: 31 DH: 35
    Married since 05.16.2009
    Expecting #1: 10.10.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, I would have loved a nursery with DD! Our hospital was all about the "baby friendly"...I seem to remember posters on walls even exclaiming that fact (this was also in Portland, OR so...very hippie/liberal...which there's nothing wrong with but plays a role in this). They would not let one of us leave baby's side. After delivery she briefly had to be checked out in NICU and they practically forced DH with them because of this. I was just like cool, I'll stay here by myself...lol I was so out of it and exhausted but she stayed with us the entire time. I would have killed for a few hours of untinerupted sleep after labor. I live somewhere else now so this reminds me I'll have to check this hospital. 

ETA: quick google search reveals there is a nursery. Hallelujah!

Sounds like my hospital, wonder if it's the same one  ;) I chose it for the baby friendly designation and figured I didn't want/need a nursery. When my son was born the nurse was like, "Don't worry, most babies are pretty sleepy for the first 12 hours so you'll be able to rest." NOT TRUE. He was super fussy from the moment he was born, and would not let us put him in the bassinet for even a few minutes. I got maybe an hour or two of sleep total the whole two days we were there. I'm delivering at the same hospital for this baby, so no nursery again, but I think we'll be more relaxed this time around and I'll just tell my husband to deal with the crying while I nap for a couple hours or I'll ask the nurse for help if I get desperate. I'm not too worried.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    M'y hospital doesn't have a nursery, but we were lucky enough that I was the only patient on the floor for a day or two of my 5 night stay, so the nurses would come and take him and keep him at the nurses station for an hour or two so I could sleep. 
  • Options
    virginiahamvirginiaham member
    edited March 2017
    @JessDG I'm not huge into wine but I LOVE Virginia wineries.  I have a stash of Virginia wine in our linen closet just waiting for October. <3

@canonmom413 annnd now I need a hot dog.

@acnd08 welll I think I love you. eta as a former postpartum nurse so so well said.
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Options
    @virginiaham.  I should have hidden our wines from my husband.   He opened one last week when we had company that I REALLY wanted to save.  I told him he better get another one before October!  
  • Options
    @riverraine haha, are you in Portland? It was Providence St Vincent

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @purplestars yep! I looked at the Providence Portland website today out of curiosity to see if they had a nursery. I think most of them don't here. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @riverraine yeah I was under that impression too!

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ksf13ksf13 member
    @canonmom413 I'm having a hotdog for lunch tomorrow and I can't wait haha. They are the Oscar Meyar Selects though, so no nitrates and all that jazz (plus I'll be sure it's super heated lol). I'm sure it's still not the greatest, but it could be worse. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What's with the hot dog? Why are they supposed to be bad during pregnancy? I have been scruffing quite a few the past week, didn't even give it a second thought  :#
  • Options
    @AiramH
    Supposedly, you are to  avoid hot dogs because of potential listeria. Also, nitrates, but several brands are nitrate free. However, my last pregnancy there was an outbreak in both lettuce and ice cream so I call bs. Heat up the hot dog and you'll be good imo.