July 2017 Moms
Options

FFFC

2»

Re: FFFC

• Options
    Clio said:
    My FFFC: I am attending my first children's birthday party outside of family (a daycare friend of DD's) and I'm terrified. I have no idea what the protocol is. Are parents expected to stay? What's the typical price point for a gift? Argghh- I really hoped I could avoid this until at least kindergarten.
    At that age, I would stay. $15-20, I'd say . . . mostly the parents stand around and chat while the kids do their thing. Although I've heard of kids' parties with parents drinking wine, etc. - Depends on who's throwing the shindig!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @BusyZee- the cousin crib situation sounds like a gold mine. I don't have any family close so.. no hand me downs unfortunately. But I also have the same mentality like if I LIKE it, it's expensive. Everything else I am indifferent about so it might as well be cheap. We have an amazon return-resale auction place right by our house (it's a weird concept) so we got our crib/changer, glider, and travel systems from there. The idea is that people make amazon purchases and return them for whatever reason and this company buys them in bulk and resells them. All of the items we bought were manufactured in late 15 or 16 so none of it's actually old and most is completely unused. You can go before bidding to confirm it's in good condition too so that's nice. 

As for the functionality of the bag... who knows. I don't even really know what I'm looking for in a diaper bag. I was leaning toward a true "designer" bag but told myself this seemed more functional? I didn't see any bad reviews for it online but it's hard to tell which are legit. I guess I can try to resell it if it sucks.  I tend to make all my decisions within about 10 seconds. Like at that point I've reached maximum comprehension of the situation and further thinking about it is only going to overwhelm or confuse me and most importantly it's not going to get me to a different conclusion. It's served me well so far in life.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    clioclio member
    @Kmomof3 @Rae1 @notachanski Thanks for the feedback! We've just moved to the area and don't yet have parent friends so this is all new to us. Off to google awesome toys for 3-year old boys.
  • Options
    My FIL makes me uncomfortable. He puts his arm around me or massages my shoulders, and he is generally too loving towards me for my taste. I can't tell if it's because I wasn't raised by super warm parents, or if I have a real reason to be uncomfortable. I don't get the impression that he is making a pass at me, but I don't like the affection! I am only affectionate with my nieces, nephews, and DH, and I am not a hugger. What makes it worse is he's always drinking when I see him, and that makes him even more loving. Maybe I'm a horrible person haha. 
  • Options
    @Potterphile so everyone around me(especially my sister) suggested to get coated canvas Or any easy to wipe fabric because it will get dirty! Also something with a stronger base so it doesn't fall apart with heavier stuff, a strap that doesn't dig into you (wider rather than thin) etc etc. So I'm going for a darker one, super easy to clean (just a wet soapy cloth and it's all clean) and has good compartments inside for quick organizing. Il inbox you. 
  • Options
    My FIL makes me uncomfortable. He puts his arm around me or massages my shoulders, and he is generally too loving towards me for my taste. I can't tell if it's because I wasn't raised by super warm parents, or if I have a real reason to be uncomfortable. I don't get the impression that he is making a pass at me, but I don't like the affection! I am only affectionate with my nieces, nephews, and DH, and I am not a hugger. What makes it worse is he's always drinking when I see him, and that makes him even more loving. Maybe I'm a horrible person haha. 
    @crzyforbabies  You're not a horrible person for feeling uncomfortable. Trust your instinct and set boundaries. I think you should mention it to your DH and strategize a plan to tell FIL to stop being so touchy. I know that if anyone other than my boyfriend or a few very close friends were to massage my shoulders I'd definitely get weirded out. 
  • Options
    This would creep me out, too!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @crzyforbabies Nope. Weird. My FIL has boundary issues too (thankfully not touching, but looking and comments) that I hate as well. I would talk to your DH and tell him your uncomfortable and maybe he can mention it to your FIL in a way that won't cause a huge problem. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited March 2017
    @BusyZee My sister keeps dropping stuff off at my house now that she's done having kids.  Honestly, I won't need to buy a toy for this girl.  Ever.  It's nice.  Her and my friends have been giving me stuff since I found out I was pregnant and I already have a closet (a small closet mind you haha!) full.  I bought my crib 2nd hand, sanded it down and painted it white.  Then splurged on the mattress, stroller and carseat (or will splurge on the car seat since it hasn't hit the market here yet)  I've been buying clothes new but I refuse to pay full price for anything so I hit up sales whenever I can and double dip (coupons, rebates etc.) wherever they will let me.  There are lots of easy ways to make the overpriced things not-so-overpriced. :)  Even if something doesn't go on sale I'll use websites like Ebates to get $$ back on my purchases. A lot of stuff on my registry has gone on sale multiple times and it's sooo hard for me to not buy the items.  My shower is 2 months before my due date so hopefully whatever I don't get will go back on sale during that time so I can buy it. :P    

ETA

@crzyforbabies Yeah, that would weird me out too.  My Dad does that kind of stuff to me but we're close and I had "warm" (in your terms haha) parents growing up.  I still hug, kiss (on the cheek) and tell my parents I love them every time I see them.  Although we are close to SMIL and FIL, I don't even hug him.  It's just weird haha!  And yet his entire family is French and we all do the kiss-on-each-cheek thing (more like forced because they're French and it's hard to duck out of that shit lol!) every time I see them.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    @crzyforbabies no definitely does not make you a horrible person. That reminds me my fil is a total skeez. When he lived in the area he would come over and use our washer/dryer. I typically always took the laundry out before he came over but there were a few times I was not home and my laundry was still in the dryer. Well​ he would take my stuff out and throw it in a hamper except for my underwear. He would literally fold it all nice and neat. After the 2nd time that happened my husband saw him doing it and lets just say he was never allowed to touch anything in our dryer again. Super creep.
  • Options
    MrsZeno said:
    @crzyforbabies no definitely does not make you a horrible person. That reminds me my fil is a total skeez. When he lived in the area he would come over and use our washer/dryer. I typically always took the laundry out before he came over but there were a few times I was not home and my laundry was still in the dryer. Well​ he would take my stuff out and throw it in a hamper except for my underwear. He would literally fold it all nice and neat. After the 2nd time that happened my husband saw him doing it and lets just say he was never allowed to touch anything in our dryer again. Super creep.
      That's so creepy!! I'm glad your DH caught him and put a swift stop to that. What's with some people? 
  • Options
    @MrsZeno I can't even imagine that. I feel sorry for your DH honestly. Oh well :/  
  • Options
    @Dovahkiin_99 and @BusyZee yea hes gross. It was not one of those moments where my husband said hey we need to talk, it was more of a wtf do you think you're doing?! Fortunately he moved away and is no longer in our lives but its for the best. I do feel for my dh because he tried to have a relationship with his father but it did nothing but cause trouble. 
  • Options
    FFC I have taken a nap almost everyday this week while my 3 year old plays on his kindle. I feel bad because my twins nap time is usually our time to do something fun together but I am so tired. 
  • Options
    @crzyforbabies I have a slightly less creep opinion. I am not a big hugger, my family isn't super touchy. Warm, yes. Touchy, no. My DH family hugs when we come in, hugs when we leave, joke around in a touchy way, puts their arms around people, they are a small family and very close. 

My FIL always hugs me when I come in, they had music playing after dinner and he took my hand and started dancing with me. The first night I ever had dinner with DHs parents, they drank a bit too much and I was helping with dishes FIL tied the bottom of my pants together and told DH it was so I couldn't get away-because I was a keeper. I wasn't sure if I should run, laugh or cry. 

At first I was uncomfortable with all the hugs etc, but he is the same way with his own daughter-who is really close in age with me, it's honestly just his way of making me feel more like part of the family than an addition. 

So I can see both sides I guess- it took me a while to be comfortable and I did set some boundaries by giving DH a certain look that says 'come interfere' but I got used to the hugs random dance parties. 

TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @MrsZeno that is beyond creepy! Ugh our FILs need to get a grip.
  • Options
    @Dovahkiin_99 I was talking to a recent grad at work and giving an example where I had to refer to myself in third person. Instead of using my actual name, I referred to myself using my husband's cutesy nickname for me.  The poor guy turned bright red (I did as well).
  • Options
    FFFC: I wore a wrinkly denim dress with shiny black rain boots to work. And when I got into my office, I took the boots off and am currently barefoot. 

Also I offer to shake hands with people of all ages, including small children. That's how awkward I am with kids. 
    Lurker here! 
    My older daughter (3yo) wants to shake hands with everyone. She doesn't understand why people don't want to shake her hand. She would love you. 
  • Options
    For really good deals on kids clothes check out the facebook "online garage sales" in your area. People literally give kids clothes away.