September 2017 Moms

Silly Questions

2»

Re: Silly Questions

• @allowe You have to angle the doppler down and under the pubic bone, and the slightest little movement could lose it! 

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @allowe just to add on, I'm  16w3d and just started being able to find it consistently a few days ago. When I was 14 weeks it took me 20 minutes to find it one day and then a few minutes later I couldn't find it again at all the rest of night.

Me: 31    DH: 36

Married since 11/25/2013

#1 (bio)  born 01/18/2006

#2 (bio)   born 09/08/2008

#3 (step) born 02/17/2009

#4 (our 1st together)  EDD 09/09/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • How many ultrasounds are normal? My old doctor did them every appointment until the last month. I got the impression I won't get many from my new doctor. My sister only remembers 3 +elective 3D. Is that the norm? I think every month is excessive but i also like that I got to see her lot 
  • @mcdoug211 that sounds about right. I remember having one to verify the pregnancy, 12 week, 20 week and then at 37 weeks to check position, fluid, size, etc. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mcdoug211 The number of US depends a lot on your insurance as well. Some insurance companies will only cover a set number of them. My OB's office only does a dating US for women with irregular periods / unsure of their dates and the AS at 20-22 weeks. The NT scan is considered optional. No other US are done unless they can't find LO's heartbeat after 16 weeks.
  • @mcdoug211 I'm in Canada so insurance isn't an issue, but the norm here seems to be dating at ~6 weeks, IPS at ~12 weeks, anatomy scan at ~20 weeks, and after that only if there are concerns. Most doctors don't have equipment at the office so they are all done at radiology clinics. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @mcdoug211 So far I've had a dating ultrasound, a 1st trimester ultrasound (which happened to be at 11 weeks), and will be having an A/S between 16 and 20 weeks. I don't think they do anymore after that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My last pregnancy, I had All The Ultrasounds. I had an Ectopic prior to that pregnancy, and DD had a single vessel cord, so I had to get checked early on, then monthly for growth checks. This time, I got an early one (also bc of the previous Ectopic), and I def ovulated super late because they had to do 2 more just do make sure it was dated correctly. Then, I think it is just the NT (12ish weeks), the AS (18 weeks), and then something closer to my due date.

The monthly stuff was annoying, but I have to say- I loved seeing her so much :)
  • sarahufl said:
    -snip-

The monthly stuff was annoying, but I have to say- I loved seeing her so much :)
    This will be me with the twins. Since they can't do Doppler for two heartbeats I will have an ultrasound every visit. After 16 weeks I go every 2 weeks to my OB and after 20 weeks I go to MFM every two weeks and then every week the last month. So each visit I will see the babies. So that's exciting!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If they don't do them after anatomy scan how do they check positioning and such?!

I'm gonna ask when I go tomorrow I think she said I'll get it in a couple weeks..I just want to see this little one I saw Lexi so much and I haven't seen it since 8 weeks it feels weird haha!
  • @mcdoug211 they are able to feel the position of the baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mcdoug211 I've heard from other moms that they just push on your abdomen and feel for the head to see if it's in the right position. Plus, babies can move quickly, so even if your baby is head down at say 39 weeks, it might not be head down when you go into labor.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My old doctor never touched me other than an internal exam to see if ive started dialating. I feel like a new mom not knowing what to expect this time lol

• At about 36/37 weeks my doctor made sure DS was head down just by pressing down above the pubic bone, he said he definitely felt his head. He kind of made a C shape with his hand and his fingers and thumb went on either side of DS's head if that makes sense? 
  • my doc said they will be doing an U/S at like 37-38wks to check for positioning...everyone is different lol. I think it has a lot to do with insurance as well. They did a dating U/S for me at 8wks, the NT Scan, then instead of doppler used u/s for 12wk appointment, and then Anatomy Scan at 18-20wks, and a position scan later on.
  • At about 36/37 weeks my doctor made sure DS was head down just by pressing down above the pubic bone, he said he definitely felt his head. He kind of made a C shape with his hand and his fingers and thumb went on either side of DS's head if that makes sense? 

This is what my doctor did. They also estimated size of my baby based off of the size of my stomach and my weight. They were guess 8ish pounds, but DD was just under 7lbs.

• @wyomama0427 he definitely never did that lol 
  • At a certain point between kicks and movements you'll likely have a very good idea of how baby is positioned! Babies feet will ideally be top right, rump top/middle left, and head down. And at the Midwifery center they encouraged us to avoid certain positions and postures to help baby stay in a good head down position. There is a site called spinningbabies.com that has great exercises you can do to help encourage baby to be head down. The right position can make a world of difference come labor time. 

Also, large babies aren't necessarily significantly more difficult to push out, the concern really is if your bone structure is large enough or can stretch enough to allow baby to pass. My last Midwifery Center had a petite mom give birth to an 11lb baby with no tearing! But some moms with smaller babies have had them get stuck and it's really been a matter of bone structure I believe. 
  • Carebella said:
    At a certain point between kicks and movements you'll likely have a very good idea of how baby is positioned! Babies feet will ideally be top right, rump top/middle left, and head down. And at the Midwifery center they encouraged us to avoid certain positions and postures to help baby stay in a good head down position. There is a site called spinningbabies.com that has great exercises you can do to help encourage baby to be head down. The right position can make a world of difference come labor time. 

Also, large babies aren't necessarily significantly more difficult to push out, the concern really is if your bone structure is large enough or can stretch enough to allow baby to pass. My last Midwifery Center had a petite mom give birth to an 11lb baby with no tearing! But some moms with smaller babies have had them get stuck and it's really been a matter of bone structure I believe. 
    Yes yes and yes lol. I knew that DS had his feet on my left side and his but on my right, he pushed his butt out a LOT and made my belly lopsided. It was freaky and cool lol. Also definitely a matter of bone structure. Petite women can still have lots of room in the pelvis, and "larger" (I know I know, I hate the word too. Idk what else to say.) women can have a narrow pelvis. My cousin's wife thought she had good wide hips but her baby got very stuck and wouldn't come out. 
  • IncandescentIncandescent member
    edited March 2017
    They seem totally pointless! I don't even pee in a cup!! They don't even want my pee yet. They weigh me, take my blood pressure and listen with a doppler(i have one at home) Give me an ultrasound woman!! I know you have one in the next room!!
  • I knew when she flipped I felt her move and my stomach got instantly bigger! I'm just hoping this lady is more thorough than he was lol
  • Exactly what @Carebella and @wyomama0427 said. From about 8 months ish on, I could tell DD had her butt right in the top middle of my stomach and at times a little to the right. She was right up in my ribs. DH even would "spank" her little bottom and tell her to be nice to me. When she was born she slept all curled up like that on our chests. It had to be exactly how she was.  So weird to be able to tell. 

• @wyomama0427 So crazy!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Here is a photo of DS shoving his butt out to the right lol

I have many more stretchmarks on my right side because my DS loved to hang out there too! Lol
  • @Sugargirl1019 Oh I know! It's so amazing, wait til you feel it, it is so crazy! Until they shove their little foot into your ribs and puuuush. Ha!

@Becky012016 I've heard that babies hang out on the right because there's more room for them over there what with organ placement and such.... Not sure how true that is but DS was ALWAYS on my right! I've got stretch marks everywhere so idk which side got more lol I even got them on my calves.... :|