September 2017 Moms
Options

Silly Questions

Post all your silly and random questions here ladies.

So my stupid question is this. Do the monthly check-up appointments feel pointless to you guys? My appointment Wednesday was the first time they have even tried to find a heartbeat. The rest of the appointments have just been getting weighed, asking if I had any spotting, and peeing in a cup. Is that all they normally do?

Re: Silly Questions

• Options
    Mine have been like that, too. Last time I literally saw my Dr for maaaaybe 1 minute. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Monthly appointments are quick and boring, that's why I always have gone by myself. I don't see a point in dh coming? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So far all of mine have been eventful. But with my predicament they Chek LO a lot. With my first son they were short quick to the point. But i switched drs. This one is so much better. He is so nice and takes his time to explain everything. 
  • Options
    Monthly appointments are quick and boring, that's why I always have gone by myself. I don't see a point in dh coming? 
    Yeah, DH was upset he missed mine because of
    work. I told him not to lose sleep over it... 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    They do feel a bit pointless, minus getting to hear the heartbeat!! ❤️ 

I don't have a home Doppler because I feel like I won't use it right and then freak myself about it. 
  • Options
    Feel the exact same way.  My last appt was right after my NT scan (like, literally an hour apart) and my OB did nothing since I'd already seen the ultrasound and everything was fine.  They are good for me because I tend to get symptom-less UTIs when I'm pregnant, but I wish I could just go pee in a cup and leave. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with @DaphneMoon1 that it's a good thing for your prenatal check ups to seem quick and fairly boring. They're just checking to make sure you aren't measuring too small/too big, monitoring your bp and looking for any issues in your urine specimen. Uneventful is the way to go.
  • Options
    Mine have been like that, too. Last time I literally saw my Dr for maaaaybe 1 minute. 
    Ugh. So frustrating. At my last one the doctor was AN ENTIRE HOUR behind - and I had zero phone battery. Then when she got in there, she was trying to make up for lost time, so she rushed through a couple questions, I was so flustered by her rushing I didn't get to ask any of my own. It's the first time I've dealt with this particular doctor, I've been really happy with the others I've seen (with this practice you never know who will be on when you deliver, so you meet with all four of them over the course of the pregnancy). 
  • Options
    @jena333 there are 11 Drs in the practice I use... ELEVEN! I've seen three so far and have really liked all of them, but I find it unlikely that I won't eventually dislike one, lol. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jena333-2jena333-2 member
    edited March 2017
    I've met the three women, but not the man yet. LOVED one, liked one, and was ehh about the third. Eleven is crazy.

I made up my mind to only do first thing in the morning appointments. I don't go into work until 9, and the office opens at 8. They can't be an hour behind schedule if I'm the first appointment of the day. Plus I'll also be at my lightest :P I weigh myself once a week at home (for my baby week by week journal), and I was like several pounds heavier at that appointment because it was at the end of the day (this is what I am telling myself, since I have weighed exactly the same for the last 6 weeks at home, first thing in the morning). 
  • Options
    jena333-2jena333-2 member
    edited March 2017
    "Silly" question (I should freaking be able to puzzle this out, I'm a microbiologist, I have taken immunology courses) - When you develop allergies/sensitivities during pregnancy, could they maybe go away when you're no longer pregnant? I've always been sensitive to bandage adhesive, but I used a band aid almost 3 weeks ago, for 24 hours, and had a nasty allergic reaction to it (blisters, insane itching for 5 days, and you can still see the redness). I am hoping this is not a long term fun thing.

• Options
    jena333 said:
    "Silly" question (I should freaking be able to puzzle this out, I'm a microbiologist, I have taken immunology courses) - When you develop allergies/sensitivities during pregnancy, could they maybe go away when you're no longer pregnant? I've always been sensitive to bandage adhesive, but I used a band aid almost 3 weeks ago, for 24 hours, and had a nasty allergic reaction to it (blisters, insane itching for 5 days, and you can still see the redness). I am hoping this is not a long term fun thing.

From everything I've heard/read, I think that the added severity caused by pregnancy usually goes away. I hope it's true, because my allergies are 10 times worse than before I was pregnant.

• Options
    @jena333 Hmm.... on one hand, I would say since skin is overall more sensitive during pregnancy, then probably. On the other hand, I know with most allergies the reaction gets a little worse with each exposure. 

My skin reacts the exact same way to bandage adhesive about 50% of the time. No idea why it's so oddly inconsistent, but it's annoying as hell. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jena333 it could just be increased sensitivity from pregnancy hormones. Or it could just be increased sensitivity over time. Hopefully just pregnancy! But I'd ask your doctor to be sure. 
  • Options
    Carebella said:
    @jena333 it could just be increased sensitivity from pregnancy hormones. Or it could just be increased sensitivity over time. Hopefully just pregnancy! But I'd ask your doctor to be sure. 
    I meant to at my monthly but she was rushing me out of there so fast it got lost :cry:
  • Options
    Same @lap018. My OB is actually pretty insistent on delivering her own babies. I would not be ok with a "luck of the draw" practice. My last OB and I were very close and that made a huge impact on how she and I worked together for my delivery. (In a positive way) 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    @jena333 do you see an allergist? They would probably know better than an OB about if the new reaction is a fluke due to pregnancy or if it will continue post delivery. 
  • Options
    awildrose said:
    Same @lap018. My OB is actually pretty insistent on delivering her own babies. I would not be ok with a "luck of the draw" practice. My last OB and I were very close and that made a huge impact on how she and I worked together for my delivery. (In a positive way) 
    My Dr really wants to deliver her own babies, too. Apparently some of the Drs don't deliver on days they are seeing patients, but she does unless it's the middle of the night and she isn't one of the ones on call. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jena333 do you see an allergist? They would probably know better than an OB about if the new reaction is a fluke due to pregnancy or if it will continue post delivery. 
    I am actually not allergic to anything! Well, a relatively mild pineapple allergy (it makes my entire face itch... and I eat it anyway because it's freaking delicious), and now the stupid adhesive. So I've never had a cause to see one. 
  • Options
    @jena333 holy moley ouch. Yes, they can go away, but they sometimes don't. I have a mom friend from a previous bmb who was temporarily allergic to tomatoes and bananas, which her baby ended up being allergic to. Not long after birth, she was able to go back to eating everything. 
  • Options
    JNR6510 the country I live in doesn't even bother with first tri appointments if you're not high risk (AMA or 3 consecutive losses or some other health condition that would require extra monitoring, which thankfully, I do not have).
    This is our 'low risk' schedule:
    1) pee stick test when you first go in (~6 weeks)
    2) first appointment around 8 weeks with a bunch of questionaires and family history, blood sugar, urine test, and blood work
    3) anatomy scan at 17-20 weeks.

Then appointments are once a month until the last 6-8 weeks when it's every other week.

I got an u/s because I did step 1 at 4 weeks, which they deemed 'too early' so the midwife wouldn't make me a first appointment, they told me to find a gyno and HE gave me an u/s*. Midwives don't check heart beat or anything here until 24 weeks. And generally the anatomy scan is the one and only u/s for the whole pregnancy unless you have a gyno who will do it for you at 8-10 weeks.

* when I first typed this I missed the space and it looked like "anu/s" which is not what I was going for  :D

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    @jena333 my OB clinic is the same way, probably because it's a military hospital and they're always the worse when it comes to having a regular doctor. Every appointment  I have had a different provider each time. I have no clue who is delivering my baby.  It will probably be another random person. 
  • Options
    @jnr6510 I'm sorry that you're high risk due to multiple MCs :( I hope hearing her heartbeat each month helps a little with the pgal emotions and worries.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    I have a random kinda dumb question for STM +. I have a 2 yo and she isn't potty trained yet.  We still carry a diaper bag for her with diapers and snacks and such. Now with this baby coming, what's best? 1 big diaper bag with both of their stuff or 2 bags. It is very possible DD will be potty trained by then, but if she's not? Thoughts? What did y'all do? 

• Options
    @JNR6510 yay for most pregnant ever & passing your glucose test!! I'm not a STM, but my family has all big babies too, not as big as that, but in the 9-10lb range. I'm petrified.

• Options
    My friend has two. Each was close to 11 lbs. She went naturally each time (home birth for #2) and had no issues.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @JNR6510 Yay!! Congrats on both counts! 

• Options
    @DPandMB I would stick to one larger bag if you're going to have both kids together most of the time. 

On potty training, have you started already? If you haven't, I wouldn't pressure yourself or your DD to be potty trained before baby comes unless you're really sure shes ready and you're doing it sooner rather than later. There's still a lot of changes going on with you and it affects her even though baby isn't here yet. I would definitely expect some regression in potty training when baby arrives. It may be easier to start potty training after the family has settled in with the new little one.

• Options
    @kristanoah Thank you for your response. I haven't started potty training. I am doing like you said and letting her go at her pace. She shows lots of signs of being ready, but she isn't fully there yet. Like she instantly wants dirty diapers changed, and she likes to sit on the potty, but she wont say anything before she has to go, only after she already has. So she is close, but not quite there. Also good point about the regression. I never even thought about that.

• Options
    So, I tried an at home fetal Doppler for "fun" and couldn't find the heartbeat at 13 weeks. I have to wait until next Tuesday for my appt. anyone else have this happen but baby was fine at the dr? Kinda freaking mildly...
  • Options

Another question, do any of you STMs have experience with large babies? DH's family always had really big babies. His sister was the smallest at 12lbs. 9oz. Is there anything special I should do to try to prepare? The idea of pushing a 12+ pound baby out seems traumatic.
    12 lbs?!?

My DS1 was 9#5oz, DS2 was 9#4oz. I delivered both vaginally. I have no advice. My first was a hard labor and hard recovery. I had 2 second degree tears. But baby #2 was so much easier. I guess the good thing is it gets easier if you do have a big baby. Good luck!
  • Options
    allowe said:
    So, I tried an at home fetal Doppler for "fun" and couldn't find the heartbeat at 13 weeks. I have to wait until next Tuesday for my appt. anyone else have this happen but baby was fine at the dr? Kinda freaking mildly...
    Don't freak. The baby's heart is so small at this point that it's easy to miss. My doctor couldn't find it at that time (so I got a quickie US to see the beats). Around 15 weeks I started being able to find it consistently at home (though not always quickly). 
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Has anyone gotten the quad screening done yet? If so, how long did it take for you to get your results back? I took the quad test last week. I didn't have it done with my first. My anatomy scan is next Friday so I'm wondering if it will come back before then.