June 2017 Moms

Our Adoption Story, otherwise titled "How I Showed Up On The June 2017 Moms Board"

2»

Re: Our Adoption Story, otherwise titled "How I Showed Up On The June 2017 Moms Board"

• I love this thread!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Is your adoption considered an open adoption? 
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • shmarpler said:
    Is your adoption considered an open adoption?  

Stuck in a box!

Yes.  For now, I don't think EM has our address or whatnot, but we call and text occasionally.  She'd like letters and photos initially, but she's not sure about visits. We've told her that, if she changes her mind about visits, we'll make it happen.   

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• What an amazing journey you have ahead of you! Thank you so much for sharing it, I look forward to following you! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • krex-2 said:
    shmarpler said:

Stuck in a box!

Yes.  For now, I don't think EM has our address or whatnot, but we call and text occasionally.  She'd like letters and photos initially, but she's not sure about visits. We've told her that, if she changes her mind about visits, we'll make it happen.   
    What worked super well for us in the beginning was a private FB page that was just us and her to post pics/updates in. Now we're just friends on FB so it's one less step but since we didn't match before he was born I wanted to get to know her.  What I can't stand is doing the bare minimum and send a pic once a month.  That doesn't help build the relationship at all!  Having the separate FB page made it easy to send pics multiple times a week and she could go see them if she wanted!
  • krex-2 said:
    shmarpler said:

Stuck in a box!

I think that is really cool. I'm sure there are pro's and cons for both open and closed adoptions, but I think there is something particularly beautiful about open adoptions.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • I know I'm new but I absolutely love this story!!! And, BTW, @krex-2 I'm quite in awe of you! You play several instruments, speak at least two languages (that I've gathered), and you are a quilter?!?! Amazing!!!
  • I know I'm new but I absolutely love this story!!! And, BTW, @krex-2 I'm quite in awe of you! You play several instruments, speak at least two languages (that I've gathered), and you are a quilter?!?! Amazing!!!
    Thanks!  I don't speak any language (other than English) fluently.  I've studied Spanish, French, Arabic and Dutch, but a 2-year old could probably speak those languages better than I could at this point.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• krex-2 said:
    I know I'm new but I absolutely love this story!!! And, BTW, @krex-2 I'm quite in awe of you! You play several instruments, speak at least two languages (that I've gathered), and you are a quilter?!?! Amazing!!!
    Thanks!  I don't speak any language (other than English) fluently.  I've studied Spanish, French, Arabic and Dutch, but a 2-year old could probably speak those languages better than I could at this point.  
    Mmmm probably not! I say "Gracious" to my 3 yr old looks at me like I have 3 heads. His grandparents have been speaking Spanish to him since he was born. I don't speak Spanish well though, so maybe that's why the funny look...
  • July lurker and I'm totally tearing up right now.  So happy and excited for you both!  <3 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie