September 2017 Moms

Team Green!

13»

Re: Team Green!

• @towntowns I am definitely struggling! I was all for it at first but I keep wavering. DH is still for sure team green, even if I decide to find out. But I'm a horrible secret keeper and would leak it eventually. We have one of each so this could be so fun, but I am so desperate to know. My appt is in 3 weeks! Our family and friends are mixed on encouraging and being anxious too. Overall we have good support either way. Can it be September please?!

• In in the same boat as @MrsVP614 I want to know, but I want more to be surprised. And I decided that if I don't find out as soon as I can, I can always change my mind and go in and have them tell me. Like she said, you can't un-know.

And family has also been putting pressure on it. Not as many as I thought though. But my husband and step-daughter want to know. And when I told my sister I want to wait her response was "Ew, no don't do that"...

• Loading the player...
  • @MrsVP614  Wow, you are a saint. I would be so overwhelmed to have my MIL in the room for that! Maybe a good idea though to extend an olive branch, or olive tree I should say. I am going to try to hang in there I like your logic, people look at me like I am nuts when I say we are waiting. 
  • I am still planning Team Green. Since they were wrong on the sex with my first our family didn't seem to mind. However I feel awful for always calling the baby "it". I feel like I need a little neutral name until they arrive. However at the 20 week ultrasound it is going to be hard trying to not guess or ask. I just have to stay strong!
  • @cchenal07 I also hate calling babies "it." I have taken to calling mine "she," because we both think she's a girl.

Note, I am probably not Team Green. Just lurking on all the threads. Currently I'm considering not learning the sex, though, because I'm so sick of people asking what the baby is and exactly what day we'll find out. Also considering just not telling people. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • cchenal07 said:
    I am still planning Team Green. Since they were wrong on the sex with my first our family didn't seem to mind. However I feel awful for always calling the baby "it". I feel like I need a little neutral name until they arrive. However at the 20 week ultrasound it is going to be hard trying to not guess or ask. I just have to stay strong!
    Just ghosting here because I couldn't be less team green, lol, but I hate calling baby "it" too. I usually say he because I do feel like I'm having a boy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • With DS we called him Gummy Bear for a while or just Baby. I would randomly use he or she. I used it sometimes too, but I don't think he was offended ;)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DH's best friend who is basically his big brother and his wife were Team Green until yesterday! When they greeted their beautiful daughter into the world! I would love to be team green, especially seeing the excitement and the anticipation first hand, but we decided to find out the gender. Only a few more weeks! Also, we decided to refer to baby as "baby" or use male pronouns. It's just easier. My mom freaked out on me when I used a male pronoun as if I found out and didn't tell her, I about hung up on her due to her ridiculousness. But good luck team green!!!
  • We found out with our first (a girl), but decided to be surprised with this one. We'll see if we can hold out until the end - I'm a planner, so it's killing me a little. 
  • MyNamesTakenMyNamesTaken member
    edited March 2017
    We found out with our first (a girl), but decided to be surprised with this one. We'll see if we can hold out until the end - I'm a planner, so it's killing me a little. 
    This is not a snarky question, so I hope it doesn't come off that way and isn't aimed at you specifically. I just hear this comment all the time and don't get it. What is there to plan for that is sex dependent? I guess other than a nursery colour and some clothes for the first few weeks?

ETA sex not gender. Oops
  • We are team green again this pregnancy! I think my favorite part is getting reactions from people when I tell them we aren't finding out. Most people are like why!? And how can you possibly wait!? Everything in life is right at our fingertips, and it does take some willpower to wait, but there are so many things worth waiting for in life. 

I also don't like calling the baby "it" so I usually say "baby" or "he." my husband says I'm jinxing it because I called DD "he" the whole time, but I was sure she was a boy, lol! 
  • @mynamestaken I also consider myself a planner, but I'm also team green, because planning for me won't involve baby's sex. They need the same stuff.
    @Toshandbaby I also love the reactions... keeps me motivated to stay team green **evil laugh**
    @cchenal07 We say Sweet P (Our last name starts with P) or baby. I've said "it" too, and agree it feels weird, but it feels even weirder for me to commit to he or she.
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • I posted in the A/S thread, but we were a bit disappointed today. After telling the tech twice that we didn't want to know the sex, she never told us to turn away and DH and I are 99% sure we saw a penis. Many of the ladies here have made me feel better, convinced me that it is still a mystery until someone tells me for sure. 
    The most frustrating part was one of the women who took my vitals asked what we were having. I told her we weren't going to find out, and she kid glared at me and said "how do you not wanna know?" I said, "well of course we want to know, but we'd rather it be a surprise." She was so judgy about it. Then she asked what names we liked. I don't want to discuss names with most people I know, let alone complete strangers, so I said "We have a few we like and we're just going to have some options and decide when we meet them." She said, "no, that baby needs a name." I said, "well they'll have a name, but we'll decide after they're born." She said, "you'll give your baby a complex if they don't have a name right away." WTAF? We're going to name this baby, and they won't have a complex. And plus also, how does one who works with pregnant women every day act like this? I can't be the first person choosing to not be surprised by the sex. Blah. 
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • That's absurd @MrsVP614, I'm sorry. And I'm sorry they didn't have you look away.

DS certainly doesn't have a complex from having his name picked out of the blue within minutes of being laid on my chest. And do people completely forget that for centuries it wasn't even an option to find out what you were having and folks did just fine. She deserves a smack upside the head. 
  • @MrsVP614 Wtf?! Who says stuff like that? I hope you didn't take any of it to heart. That's just ridiculous :(
  • DH and I are not team green, but we just found out his parents are. This is their first grandchild and they were team green for all 3 of their kids. We're totally going to respect  their wishes,  but we fear by letting the rest of his family know one of them might slip up and say something. Should DH and I let people know not to spill the beans to them once we find out the sex or is this something they should do themselves? 
  • @Ae_Lovely321 I think you should let them handle it. While it's a fun tradition for them, it should not turn into something that worries or stresses you out, trying to make sure it isn't spoiled for them. I'm not sure what your family's relationship is like, so it may be very easy or very difficult to not find out. It wouldn't hurt to mention it to your family and friends, but you shouldn't go out of your way/comfort zone to keep it from them. 
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • @Ae_Lovely321I must say I've never heard of parents or in-laws requesting a different "gender reveal" situation from that which the parents of the child have chosen!  How interesting!  I would say you shouldn't have to worry about other people spilling the beans... that sounds like too much work for you!  I mean, you could mention it in an email or something like that that would be easier, but even if someone slips up and tells the parents, you shouldn't have to worry about that.  If they find out, they find out!  No biggie, right? ;-)  (I would feel very differently about this if your husband knew the sex and you didn't, and how people should act around you, the mom... But that's an uncommon scenario...)
  • We found out with our first (a girl), but decided to be surprised with this one. We'll see if we can hold out until the end - I'm a planner, so it's killing me a little. 
    This is not a snarky question, so I hope it doesn't come off that way and isn't aimed at you specifically. I just hear this comment all the time and don't get it. What is there to plan for that is sex dependent? I guess other than a nursery colour and some clothes for the first few weeks?

ETA sex not gender. Oops
    I get this all the time. We were team green last time and this time. And it bugs the crap out of people that we don't know- as if you can't prepare beforehand. Babies are all about the same when they are first born and I can't figure out why people think you somehow can't prepare if you don't know what you are having.

Pretty sure it is going to be a small human.
  • BigBadWolf12BigBadWolf12 member
    edited April 2017
    sarahufl said:
    MyNamesTaken said:
    Laurabean34 said:
    *snip*

*snip*

@margareth @sarahufl lol at the bolded :D we aren't team green and will hopefully know next week if it's male or female BUT we already painted the nursery a nice light blue :D really, it doesn't change anything about planning necessities unless you really want to gender stereotype....I was talking with my parents about when to skype so we find out together with DH's family and my mom said, "it really doesn't even matter what it is...girl or boy we will just scream and wave our hands" lol. It's just KNOWING that's the fun part for me/us. but really, whether it's a girl or boy, our reaction will be literally the same thing: "omg, squeee!!!"

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• @MrsVP614 @magareth thanks for the advice. We're very close to them and talk to them all the time,  his mom is more involved in baby stuff than my own.  I might have DH text a couple people before we announce it to give them a heads up,  but I like the idea that the ball is in their court after that heads up. It won't bother me to refer to the baby as "baby" to them after we know and have a name. I just want to have their experience of becoming grandparents as special as we can since we're so far away from them.  
  • Bringing this thread back to life, as we get closer to the big day!
    Are you still Team Green? 
    Has it gotten easier/harder?
    How are things going as far as your neutral nursery or coming home outfits?

TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Responding to above... 
    We are still team green, and we both agree it's gotten easier now. We've made it this far, and now it's just exciting! I have to remind the u/s tech at every visit, even though I know it's in my chart. We had a mishap at my 20 week, but since we never got an official announcement, I'm still team green in my head.
    Here are pics of our nursery & coming home outfits. I've actually loved all the neutral options! 

TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Still team green!! Only one more ultrasound to get through at 36 wks! I keep going back and forth thinking boy or girl. The nursery should be almost done this weekend! I also have going home outfit picked out (I think). It is crazy to think it is almost time to get the bag ready. 
  • @MrsVP614 your nursery is so so similar to mine!  I will have to post pics later today.  We also went with the mother and baby animal pics and pretty much the exact same green color!  I wanted a more silver paint but DH picked the green.

Are you still Team Green? Yes!

Has it gotten easier/harder? Easier, especially now that things are done.

How are things going as far as your neutral nursery or coming home outfits? Nursery is pretty much done just waiting on our footstool for the rocker, moses basket and another picture to hang!  Coming home outfit is a little different. I dug out and washed all the white short sleeve and long sleeve onesies so baby will most likely come home in one of those.  If it is a boy we will use all of DS clothes and if it is a girl I know that both my Mom and Mother in law will take care of showering us with little girl things almost immediately!  Lol!

• Are you still Team Green? Yup!

Has it gotten easier/harder? A little easier. Still get tempted here. 

How are things going as far as your neutral nursery or coming home outfits? Skipping a nursery this time. We had one mostly done last time but we ended up bedsharing until about a month ago. Now he has his own bed in our room. And baby will bedshare with me again as long as it works for us again. Debating using the same coming home outfit but it might be a little warm with the enclosed feet. Or I might get a new cooler gender neutral option again. 

@MrsVP614 Love those coming home options!

• 35+1 here, and still team green too! Good work, everyone. :) 

also have to remind u/s tech every time and kind of nervous someone will give it away in the last few weeks! Probably not, though. 

a lot of ppl who know me have thought boy but I think that's bc I have 3 brothers and H has 2 brothers; we have no sisters. But my dad is convinced it's a girl (funny enough -- wouldn't expect him to have a prediction) and the first few predictions have been girl -- I haven't a clue! 

Very exciting and overwhelming as a FTM since I *really* don't know what to expect. 

Gender neutral is so fun -- a lot of animals, especially bunnies! No pink, but pretty much all other colors work. Love green and yellow. :) 
  • We're still team green. I think it's gotten a bit harder. We have a boy and everyone is convinced that means we want a girl. I'm a little over the "so you want a girl, right?" I honestly don't care. I love my little man and would be so happy with another. Although, my cousin has a boy and just found out she's having boy twins and all I could think was "oh dear god that's going to be a lot of testosterone." Also, our family desperately want a little girl (both of our immediate families have no girls - although we do both at least have girl cousins). So maybe I care a little more than I thought? lol

We plan to have baby share a room with DS once baby is older (we'll room share for at least the first year, longer if baby still isn't sleeping through the night), and we were team green the first time around so the nursery is already pretty gender neutral. I remember when I picked the colors (grey with splashes of turquoise, yellow, and coral) people were convinced we were having a girl because why would we ever put pink in a boys room...I swear people are insane.

We'll probably use one of DS's newborn outfits for coming home. 

@MrsVP614 I love that little outfit. The snuggle is real.  :D 

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Still Green here! It's been easy all along since we didn't find out with DS. He's moved into his new room so our green and brown nursery still works and all our big items are neutral anyway. I bought some grey and white Carter's outfits for coming home and the first week or two and then I'm sure I will be shopping if it's a girl! We don't have either name picked out yet so that's our only struggle.
  • Glad to hear we're hanging in there!
    It definitely makes things even more exciting leading up to the big day.
    It's also been nice getting stuff we need at our baby showers. There are lots of cute, neutral clothes, but I know if we announced the sex, we would've ended up with lots of pink/blue stuff that's not our style anyway. 
    I also love this... my best friend from college is due with her first in January. When I told her we weren't finding out the sex, she was shocked, almost disgusted haha. But now, she's team green too! I didn't really try to convince her, but after hearing all my reasons, she's decided to not find out too. So fun!

TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Clothing, the nursery, names, decorations, lots of stuff. You totally don't HAVE to make that stuff gendered of course, but I like it
  • Still team green! I haven't had a really strong feeling about this baby like I did with our first (I was 100% sure SHE was a boy) until my sister had her baby a few weeks ago and it was a girl, now I'm convinced mine is a boy. Time will tell! 

It's been harder not knowing this time since we already have a girl, but it's a lot of fun and saves me money not to know! 

The nursery is gender neutral since we didn't know with our first. I still need to kick her out though so the new baby has a space. I'm in the process of setting up DD room, which is hard because if this one is a girl I'd make it super cute and girly so they could share eventually. I'll probably go with a more neutral space though.