March 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding rants raves and support

Re: Breastfeeding rants raves and support

• @JustAnotherUsername16 same thing happened to me about last week.  My breastfeeding wasn't working and we went to our first pediatrician appt and the doctor told us that our girl was severely dehydrated and we needed to start her on formula immediately.  It was such a gut punch.  Please know that you're not a failure.  You are doing everything you can and your baby will be fed, which is the most important thing.  You may not take these words to heart right now....I know I didn't when I heard them, but you are doing amazing.
    Me: 36  DH: 35.
    Married: 8/2005.
    BFP: 6/22/2016 EDD: 3/4/2017.
  • Loading the player...
  • Add me to the sore nipples train. Starting to have small amount of bleeding, and the latch is SO painful. Had two different midwives check my latch and said the latch looks good. But I'm literally dreading the next feed. Calling around to try to get a LC out to the house today or tomorrow because Friday is a public holiday here and everyone will be off work :-/
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Baby did well with sleeping about 4 hours through the night in the hospital the first 2 nights. Last night was first night home though and he legit woke up to feed every 2 hours. The last two times though I had a lot of trouble getting him to stay awake and only ended up doing one side. Should I be doing something different? My milk seems to be coming in already because it looks lightly milky when I hand express and my boobs are super full and feels like there are lumps everywhere. 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • pandalily said:
    Baby did well with sleeping about 4 hours through the night in the hospital the first 2 nights. Last night was first night home though and he legit woke up to feed every 2 hours. The last two times though I had a lot of trouble getting him to stay toawake and only ended up doing one side. Should I be doing something different? My milk seems to be coming in already because it looks lightly milky when I hand express and my boobs are super full and feels like there are lumps everywhere. 

If baby is nursing every 2-3 hours and you have enough diapers, I'm sure it's okay to just do one boob. Make sure you start with the other one the next time!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jomarma said:
    I'm on the breastfeeding struggle bus. I seem to have the world's biggest, flattest nipples and my 3 week old baby will not latch without a shield. I had great supply up until yesterday, and now I feel like my breasts are super soft and baby takes forever on the left breast. Usually I can see leftover milk in the shield when he's done, but now I can't. 

I paid $170 for an in-home ILBC consultant who told me basically nothing, that his suck was good but he wasn't opening wide enough and he needs to go to a chiropractor or a cranial sacral therapist (might be butchering that) or he might have a tongue or lip tie and he needs to go see a pediatric dentist. It was so disheartening. Just 'go see other people'. The lactation consultants at the hospital said nothing about a lip/tongue tie, so I'm skeptical. 

I want to breastfeed so badly, but it feels like my body won't let me, and he's not latching and he gets so frustrated when I try to latch him without the shield. I've tried pumping, but I've gone from 5+ oz in a session to barely making 3 on both sides. I have a nipple everter too, but it doesn't make them stay everted, they just go back to flat once I try to latch him. I just don't know what to do. 

Im watching his diapers. Up until today, he's been having good output. Today he's only had 6 diapers, all mixed. 

I'm so discouraged. Don't know what to do. Anyone else using the shield? Any experiences with weaning? 
    Lurking 
    sorry to intrude march 17, lurking from sept 16. I had a lot of the same problems that you had when I started breastfeeding. My DS had a really tight jaw and some issues with his latch that we figured out stemmed from a long traumatic labor with his head wedged in my pelvis. He also had a really tigh upper lip and posible lip tie.

I was very fortunate that my insurance paid for my LC visits, so I had 3 in home visits. On the 3rd visit aroud 2 weeks old the LC told me that I needed to go to the craniosacral if I wanted relief from cracked, extremely painful nipples. She said it was that or the pediatric dentist to get the lip tie cut. We decided to try craniosacral and found good results from it. It was $80 a session and we went 3x. We were able to avoid getting the lip tie cut. That would have cost aprox $600.

I had pain with breastfeeding for the first 6 weeks because he cracked my nipples so badly in the first few weeks. But as he got bigger and we kept up with the craniosacral things got better. I wanted to quit so many times!!  For awhile I used the nipple sheilds to help my nipples heal but he hated them and what worked better was home made APNO cream (google it.) I also taught my DS to say aaahhhhhh while latching on, I think he learned that sometime after 3 weeks. It would help so his upper lip wasn't folded in. It would help flange out the upper lip and get his mouth open wider. He would mimicked me opening wide and saying aaahhhhhh. 

Fed is best! But if you want to keep with it consider the craniosacral therapist or getting a consult with a dentist. Lip/tounge ties can shred your nipples for real. If you can make it through the first 6 weeks it gets much easier. Good luck!! 
  • @kjd291 yes!! All of this.
  • What kind of milk storage bags are you using for your freezer stash? Sorry if I've missed this before. I've been using the Lansinoh brand and haven't had any problems but online I've read some people say they leak a lot when defrosting milk? The medela brand is ok - holds less milk and is expensive for what you get in my opinion. I like the target brand but I need something I can order online and have it delivered because I go through bags so often. 

Any suggestions? Anyone have issues with the lansinoh brand? I haven't thawed milk yet so I'm not sure what to expect but I'm going to be really upset if they leak because I'm losing a lot of sleep to pump this milk!
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• @marshmallowfarts
    I use lansinoh and I think they're fine. I've rarely had any leaks. One tip I'm sure you've seen is to freeze them flat and store them upright. I'm careful not to freeze any "wrinkles" into the bag and I think that helps prevent leaks during thawing. Also I thaw in a clean bowl just in case.

• Lansinoh are my favourite. I never liked medela and I've never had an issue with Lansinoh 
  • @kjd291 yes!!  Adding to the frustration of why on earth can't I even collect .5ox when I pump yet I spew out more than that with my letdown when I step out of the shower!  Gah! Going to pick up a larger flange.  Hostile with my breasts.
  • Everyone order the haakaa suction pump from amazon! I use it when nursing the other side and collect 3-4oz a day (I use it twicd) and I have to do literally nothing.
  • JilliantsJilliants member
    edited March 2017
    Anyone know what to do about hiccups? Baby gets them frequently (which she did on the inside too). I read that her sucking too quickly might be the cause since it makes her swallow air. I burp her between breasts. She's not fussy, but it does keep her from falling asleep sometimes. Any clue on how to slow her down?
  • Jilliants said:
    Anyone know what to do about hiccups? Baby gets them frequently (which she did on the inside too). I read that her sucking too quickly might be the cause since it makes her swallow air. I burp her between breasts. She's not fussy, but it does keep her from falling asleep sometimes. Any clue on how to slow her down?
    Burping is the only thing I've heard. If it makes you feel better I've heard hiccups don't really bother them as much as us, thigh that doesn't really help with the sleep thing though. If she got them frequently in utero I can't imagine why her sucking patterns would make her hiccup...sounds like she was doing it anyway before eating was a thing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jilliants sometimes if DD gets the hiccups I'll "top her off" with a bit of nursing and that seems to do the trick.. just make sure to get a good burp out so you don't have to repeat the process 
  • @jilliants sometimes if DD gets the hiccups I'll "top her off" with a bit of nursing and that seems to do the trick.. just make sure to get a good burp out so you don't have to repeat the process

exactly this
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • My Milk came in yesterday but I haven't gotten it to let down. When I try and hand express or when baby latches only drops comes out. Should I worry yet or does it take a little time to start flowing? Any tips to get the milk to let down? 
  • My Milk came in yesterday but I haven't gotten it to let down. When I try and hand express or when baby latches only drops comes out. Should I worry yet or does it take a little time to start flowing? Any tips to get the milk to let down? 
    How do you know only drops come out when baby latches? 
    I never felt letdown really with either kid...I could only tell when swallowing and sucking changed. It usually takes about a minute of stimulation to get a good flow for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It takes a while to be able to feel it IMO. I mostly only feel those random pain full let downs when I'm not actually nursing. Your milk may be in, but it comes in gradually. Do you hear the baby swallowing when nursing? Lots of wet diapers? Not everyone feels a letdown and sprays milk everywhere.
  • Agree with pp. I don't really feel a let down or spray milk and only feel it when I'm not nursing. 
  • I feel them now, but didn't feel a let down with DD1 at first-then suddenly around 6wks PP / BAM and Ouch! So now I'm one of the unlucky ppl for who it's painful! 
  • My let down hurts too! I started feeling cramping in my breasts one day and looked down and I was leaking!
  • My peanut lost >10% in the hospital (5lb14oz to 5lb4oz) & hypoglycemic so we started supplementing right away (night 3 still in hospital).  Discharged yesterday with formula to top her off.  I fed every 2 hours, topped her with formula and/or pumped milk & did about 5 pump sessions.   Milk seems to be fully in as of 3am.  We have had more poo in 12hrs than previous 2 days!  I assume the fact I can hear the swallows gurgle her tummy we have lift off.  Going to feed her like mad today & see what happens.  I think I should now lay off the pump.  Thoughts?
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @MrsBinPA yes! Sounds like it's come in! Your body will adjust to make however much baby eats-so it's tempting to pump, especially when you get engorged, but the best thing is to just let supply balance out to whatever your little girl needs/drinks! 
  • @MrsBinPA I would pump. As a mom of small babies I know the pediatricians tend to pressure us to supplement. It's way better IMO to supplement with a pumped bottle than formula so you don't get into the cycle of not producing enough. You can always back off the pump later once you're on a good growth curve.
  • Help! I'm exclusively pumping and woke up today with a fever of 103. I'm barely able to stay awake and function. I feel dizzy and sick and just like crud overall. I normally pump every 2 hours except at night we do every 3. I slept through my alarm though and have gone 5 hours between pumping for the past few sessions. Is my supply screwed? I'm trying to get fluids in but I feel so nauseous and it's hard to force that in. I'm terrified my supply will suffer now and I worked so so hard for this. 
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• Thanks @cbeanz & @kjd291.  We have been feeding as long as she will go and every 2hrs or less all day rather than pumping.  We will see what happens at her first pedi appointment in the morning.  She has pooped 5 times since midnight and has peed twice.   This is a dramatic improvement & way more in line with what is to be expected so I am feeling much more confident she is getting what she needs now.  Thankfully she latches like a champ despite how mini she is.   She is directing me & totally not the other way around.  

This is such an amazing experience despite our hiccups
    so far.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Help! I'm exclusively pumping and woke up today with a fever of 103. I'm barely able to stay awake and function. I feel dizzy and sick and just like crud overall. 
    @marshmallowfarts - FTM here but I would call your doctor ASAP with those symptoms. Sounds like you need antibiotics. Try not to stress, I'm sure your supply will be fine once you're feeling better and the infection is being treated. Take care of yourself and feel better soon! 
  • Help! I'm exclusively pumping and woke up today with a fever of 103. I'm barely able to stay awake and function. I feel dizzy and sick and just like crud overall. I normally pump every 2 hours except at night we do every 3. I slept through my alarm though and have gone 5 hours between pumping for the past few sessions. Is my supply screwed? I'm trying to get fluids in but I feel so nauseous and it's hard to force that in. I'm terrified my supply will suffer now and I worked so so hard for this. 
    Agreed with pp. Call your doctor. Do you think you have mastitis?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina I don't think so? Isn't mastitis painful? My boobs don't hurt at all and I don't have any hard lumps in them that I've felt. My one nipple is sore because I have a blister on it but that's it. I just assumed my symptoms were viral. I'm stacking Tylenol and ibuprofen to keep the fever manageable. I don't have any cold symptoms - no runny nose/cough, etc. My main symptom is just all over body aches, dizziness, nausea, chills/hot flashes. I was shivering so much too that I pulled muscles in my back and neck and they still hurt. My skin is also painful to the touch. Nobody else has been sick so not really sure where this came from. 
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• Ugh, that does sound flu like. I hope you get well soon!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • JilliantsJilliants member
    edited March 2017
    I think I just learned what cluster feeding is. My poor boobs!
  • @marshmallowfarts I had the exact symptoms last Monday at 6PP. I called my midwife and she phone diagnosed with mastitis but I didn't have the symptoms of redness or a lump. She put me on antibiotics that are penicillin based. Ultimately, my mom is a nurse practitioner and she called me in lab work and my white blood count was 26 which is high enough to indicate things like pneumonia or sepsis (normal range is 4-11) and she was really concerned. My symptoms went away the next day but I think my midwife just got lucky and whatever she prescribed happened to tackle what I had.

Moral: I would definitely call your doctor. And I hope you start feeling better. 

Also.. I nursed ok during that time and he had gained the average of 1oz a day when I went to his newborn checkup later that week ... so my supply didn't seem to be affected. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @shines721 thanks for that heads up - I'll call the doctor tomorrow and see what they say. I haven't felt this horrible while sick in years. 
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• Ivorytower2Ivorytower2 member
    edited March 2017
    Jumping in on the boob train since LO has finally arrived. This baby has a powerful latch, which is a nice change from DD who used a nipple shield for about 3 months, but I still am sore and have blisters because she's super aggressive and apparently starving her ass off already. 

@jomarma and others using the shield - for us there was nothing "wrong" with DD1, no tongue tie, etc. she was just a slow learned. We used the shield for three months- not every time, but most of the time. I'd occasionally try without but it wouldn't work well. One day she ripped it off and never looked back. We then went on to nurse for 2 years, so it can be just a temporary necessity.

• 6 day old Molly has decided now is a good time to eat every hour. It's ok because she needs to get up to her birth weight but this momma's boobs are tender. 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Cluster feeding question--is it normal for babies to sleep a ton after a long spurt of clusterfeeding?  My twins basically ate nonstop from late afternoon into the night last night, which was frustrating but I assume was our first time cluster feeding. But then one of them slept for more than 6 hours straight!

This isn't a humblebrag about my amazing sleeper -- he's really not, and in any event he has a brother on a different schedule than he is so it's not like I got a great night of sleep -- but I was pretty worried this morning when I realized he'd basically slept through the night.  They're only 5 weeks, and I thought their normal stretches of eating every 3-4 hours was already on the longer side.  He didn't seem to wake up starving either, he ate a normal amount and passed right back out.  Is this normal during cluster feeding?