March 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding rants raves and support

Re: Breastfeeding rants raves and support

• Cbeanz said:
    Anyone else feel like this today?

My milk just started to come in last night, so yep! Baby girl does NOT have the tummy capacity for all this transitional goodness, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Cbeanz said:
    Anyone else feel like this today?

Yes! I took a breastfeeding pic the other day and my boob is almost the size of my baby. I was already a DD prior to baby so it's just another level now
  • Loading the player...
  • @Spartanrd4 I hope the LC is able to help you out! A stuffy nose sounds tough with such an early breastfeeding relationship! Hang in there
  • @Spartanrd4 do you have a NoseFrida? That thing is a lifesaver for stuffy nose! 

Keep up the good work!! Glad you're seeing an LC-they're worth their weight in gold!
  • @Spartanrd4 totally second @kjd291 with thr nose frieda. DS got stuffy a week after he was born. Saline and nose sucking was super helpful.

So awesome you are meeting with a LC. Hope that meeting goes well!! 

I also wanted to as if youre super full and lo might be having an issue keeping the latch? If so you could try the whole warm compress/massage prior to nursing maybe
  • Thanks for the tips ladies! We actually have the nose frida and it has worked pretty well....DH was skeptical at first but now he is an expert nose sucker lol!
  • I need to get one of those nose fridas! When I first saw them I thought no way but I totally get it now lol. Also my milk has come in and my boobs are killing me! Going to ask the pedi tomorrow if she thinks I should pump or if that will just make the over supply worse.. can't wait til she's ready for more lol
  • I need to get one of those nose fridas! When I first saw them I thought no way but I totally get it now lol. Also my milk has come in and my boobs are killing me! Going to ask the pedi tomorrow if she thinks I should pump or if that will just make the over supply worse.. can't wait til she's ready for more lol
    I personally am not touching the pump this time. It's currently so tempting!!-But it'll just make the supply stay up in the high end. I'm gonna let baby be the only thing dictating supply for a while overhere to try and curb the oversupply this time.
  • @kjd291 ya I was thinking the same thing too.. i just started getting so full already last night it made me nervous lol
  • kjd291 said:
    I need to get one of those nose fridas! When I first saw them I thought no way but I totally get it now lol. Also my milk has come in and my boobs are killing me! Going to ask the pedi tomorrow if she thinks I should pump or if that will just make the over supply worse.. can't wait til she's ready for more lol
    I personally am not touching the pump this time. It's currently so tempting!!-But it'll just make the supply stay up in the high end. I'm gonna let baby be the only thing dictating supply for a while overhere to try and curb the oversupply this time.
    I'm regretting even sharing this ^^ cuz it'll keep me accountable. Hah.  The pump is calling out my name! Hahah. I thought last night was engorged but we've reached a whole new level. Owwwwe.  Baby has been sleeping so well that she's spacing out her feedings to a good 3-4hrs. I know that's a good thing-but man, it's gonna be a rough week as this whole supply thing balances out.
  • @kjd291 last night I expressed some into a cup a few times lol.. I figured it was better than pumping. I just stopped when I felt like the pain had subsided not when I was empty
  • My LO is a sleeper and I wish she would eat more often.  Sigh. Waking her up frequently to eat is a fools errand.  Konks back out as soon as you stop harassing her.  However I seem to be getting one solid feeding a day and a couple lazy efforts.  We are still at the hospital and seeing the LC and the pediatricians are happy with her weight but I'd sure feel better if she were eating more regularly.  She's surpassing her pooping & peeing goals. Anyways...
  • @Goodmorning12 I get where you're coming from but at least the drs are not concerned! They're usually the first to freak out haha she's probably still in the "newborn coma". Last time I wanted DS to be more alert too especially since we had a jaundice scare. This time I'm embracing the calm before the storm lol. I hope your tensions are eased soon though
  • @Goodmorning12 pooping and peeing goals are the best sign she IS getting enough! So try to focus on that!! 
  • 911- my nipples are dying!!! Day 2 of breastfeeding, LC says our latch is "perfect"... but my nipples are bruised and in so much pain. I dread feeding times a little.  I don't know why it hurts if our latch is "perfect"?! Is it just early? Tips/tricks to help stick it out despite the pain?
  • @hippiemama Lanolin helps me, you can also try expressing some milk on the nipple and letting it dry. I'm still sore but just waiting for it to pass .. hang in there!
  • @hippiemama I went through the same and even went to see the lactation consultant twice. Lanolin helped a lot. My nipples are pretty much used to it now so I'm thinking it's just an adjustment stage where your nipples are on fire. 
  • 911- my nipples are dying!!! Day 2 of breastfeeding, LC says our latch is "perfect"... but my nipples are bruised and in so much pain. I dread feeding times a little.  I don't know why it hurts if our latch is "perfect"?! Is it just early? Tips/tricks to help stick it out despite the pain?
    3 weeks in and mostly no more pain for me. I think it's an adjustment period where your nipples toughen up... no expert here but that's my 2 cents :) lanolin helped and making sure to wear a bra - I didn't wear one at first - just wore those shelf bra nursing tanks and realized they were rubbing against my nipples and irritating them.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
    Same mama!! Had the problem last time too.  I never understood the ppl that say "breastfeeding shouldn't hurt at all" because I still had a rough first few weeks to toughen the nipples up! And sure enough I'm in the same boat.

BIGGEST help for me (other than echoing the lanolin- you can also express a little BM on them and let them air dry-whenever you're alone let them out of your bra/shirt and get air time)) AND ---> switch up positions for every feed!! Football hold, side lying, etc.  change in position changes the focused area baby is irritating and allows me some relief!!

keep up the good work! 
  • @Gators&BoSox and @kjd291 Resist the pump!! I didn't pump until close to one month last time and felt like I had a decent supply but definitely not an oversupply. Mornings were obviously quite uncomfortable but I would hand express to make it be that he could nurse and I was able to nurse for 15 months. 

@hippiemama you can do this!! It is definitely painful.. I wish there was more ways to prepare a mama for breastfeeding. Just when you think you've gotten the hang of it, something can happen.  It took me a good two months to establish feeding with my first. I would dread every latch and cry sometimes when he did, but lanolin is key! I promise it gets easier if you are able to believe in yourself and baby and your body's superpowers of feeding a baby! 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• wintersongwintersong member
    edited March 2017
    911- my nipples are dying!!! Day 2 of breastfeeding, LC says our latch is "perfect"... but my nipples are bruised and in so much pain. I dread feeding times a little.  I don't know why it hurts if our latch is "perfect"?! Is it just early? Tips/tricks to help stick it out despite the pain?
    Hmm, that does sound less than ideal. I'm general pain shouldn't last for a while feeding...the pain associated with tender nips should go away after a few/thirty seconds. Is the actual nipple bruised, or the areola? If the nipple is bruised your latch is NOT perfect...Baby should be chomping away on your areola, not the nip itself. 

ETA Not to be discouraging! Sometimes breastfeeding IS painful in spite of what people say, and doesn't always indicate a problem.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Gators&BoSox I had crazy pain and engorgement when my milk came in. Like they were hard as rocks! I ended up doing a few hot showers with breast massage and hand expression-those helped a lot! I also pumped a couple times when it got really bad. I waited until after DD ate and then pumped just until I felt a bit softer and no pain. Now that her belly is bigger, we are doing much better. 

@hippiemama Our latch was "perfect" as well and I had a lot of nipple pain until my milk fully came in. I think for us it was just that DD has a vigorous suck and was really wanting milk so would just suck, and suck trying to get more. I used lanolin religiously and now it only hurts when she first latches. The LC in the hospital said fir me to limit her nursing to 15min per side then wait a full hour before nursing again, since she wanted to nurse constantly.
  • I caved and used my hand pump a few times yesterday for relief. Not making the same mistake i made with DD1 and getting anywhere near empty-just enough to pass the point of --> this hurts so bad I'm on the verge of tears & soaking through all my shirts because the pressure has no where to go but OUT.

I don't remember how many days this lasted last time?? 
  • @kjd291 It took about 4 days after my milk was in, 3 pumping sessions and several hot showers with massage and hand expression to finally get comfortable for me this time. Hoping you start feeling better soon! Engorgement sucks
  • vprodvprod member
    @hippiemama mine also has a "perfect latch" and even after 3 weeks of breastfeeding sometimes it hurts if she doesn't quite grab the right spot, or latches on too shallow. From day 1 she sucked VERY hard, and within the first day grabbed me wrong and immediately left a crazy bruise.
    Nipple shields are excellent if it really is that painful. But what I've been using has been the Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter and it has been AMAZING. It goes on so lightly and doesn't hurt at all :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Does anyone have any tips on keeping baby awake while they are breastfeeding?  Mine seems to fall asleep after a minute or two every time.
  • That's a good idea...thank you.
  • Tickling feet & toes, playing with hands, stroking cheek, rubbing back/head whatever body part may slightly irritate LO, removing clothing layers so they aren't so warm & cozy.  Stroking the cheek and sort of grabbing my breast and partially removing my nipple are the two most effective...having a sleepy baby has been tough.
  • Great....thanks so much for the ideas!
  • Anyone else's babe nursing only on one side and for not too long? My milk came in on day two so I'm trying to figure out if his belly just can't take it all. Just so different from my first where newborn nursing sessions were 40minutes+. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @shines721 my baby has been doing that today, my boobs hate me
  • My little was doing that too...to be honest my son did that as well last time because I had an oversupply. The general rule of thumb is to nurse on one side until baby is done and then offer the other. 

Sometimes newborns are super sleepy though. For the first couple of weeks I do a diaper change between boobs to wake baby back up. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ok so with the "nurse on one side and then offer the other when baby is done", doesn't that make one breast REALLY productive and the other not so much? I would do that and when the next feeding came around I would offer the "unused" breast and then the other would get so swollen and full but baby was done already on my one side! So I would start with the swollen one next time and repeat back and forth. Is that normal? Will the two even out eventually? 
  • Anyone else's boobs leaking like crazy? I wear nursing pads during the day just in case but didn't wear a bra to bed tonight and woke up to my shirt soaked when I got up to feed LO! Onto shirt number 2....
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited March 2017
    Ok so with the "nurse on one side and then offer the other when baby is done", doesn't that make one breast REALLY productive and the other not so much? I would do that and when the next feeding came around I would offer the "unused" breast and then the other would get so swollen and full but baby was done already on my one side! So I would start with the swollen one next time and repeat back and forth. Is that normal? Will the two even out eventually? 
    Yep, switch which breast is first at each feeding. Even if the other breast doesn't feel swollen, even if you use boymth breasts. 

But in the first weeks if they are only nursing for 7 minutes or something before falling asleep, you probably want to either wake baby up after finishing a side to nurse the other (i n case they weren't really done, just sleepy) or feed more frequently (say wake baby to eat every two hours instead of every three) to get the calories in. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone else's boobs leaking like crazy? I wear nursing pads during the day just in case but didn't wear a bra to bed tonight and woke up to my shirt soaked when I got up to feed LO! Onto shirt number 2....
    Yep!! After the first few weeks last time it got better for me (once your supply adjusts to babies needs).
  • Emersyn was nursing great her first 24hours. Last night she had to be put under photo therapy lights so they had me pump and they gave her what I pumped in a syringe to make sure she was getting enough food for her jaundice to go down. 
    Since then she hasn't nursed at all and was just discharged from the hospital and home. She's not latching on and just getting mad. I can tell she's hungry but she's not ever latching. 
    I don't know what to do at this point other than pump and give her a bottle. 
    It is frustrating because I know how good she was latching and eating before she got syringe fed.
    Any advice on what I can do? We are both in tears...

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 04/14/12
    DS: 10/15/13
    BFP #2: 7/22/16  EDD 3/25/17
    I haven't even had my baby yet and my boobs leak at night, even with a bra on! 

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017