March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM- Week of 3/20

Re: Ask a STM- Week of 3/20

• Those who have two, how are your car seats currently configured? I know middle
    seat is safest for baby, but DD (currently in the middle) has really long legs and I'm afraid if we move her to the side and put baby in the middle she will kick the crap out of whomever she is riding behind. 
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited March 2017
    I just have them on opposite sides of the back seat for ease of removal. But also agree on the whole not trusting the toddler next to the baby. Oy. I was just thinking about how I should probably remove all hard toys/books she usually has back there too because of the possibility of them getting thrown.  #TimeForAMiniVan
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a minivan with captains chairs so middle isn't an option for me. I do like ease of access from both sides. I put rear facing seat behind the passenger and my toddler behind the drivers side because a rear facing seat doesn't fit behind the drivers seat when my husband pushes it back to drive. (long legs)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's actually safer to have your forward facing kiddo in the middle since rear facing is safer than forward facing in most cases, if that's what you're looking for. 
    On that note, I have my infant in the middle in one car next to my toddler, and in the other car the infant is behind the passenger seat, toddler behind the driver. Our middle seats are harder to install seats in, I get a better fit on the sides. Best place for car seats is where you can get the best install. We haven't had any issues with the toddler next to the baby... yet. But getting the infant seat to the middle is pretty difficult and I'm probably going to move it to the passenger side soon.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Robi1Robi1 member
    I have three - infant will go in the middle, 2 yo on one side and 3 yo on the other, all rear facing. They can definitely kick the baby if they want to, so I just have to be very clear about that being unsafe. If you have a forward facer, I would put her in the middle since she is the least protected, which sounds like it'll work well for you. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • I have the infant seat behind the driver's side in my car since I'm only 5'4" and my older son's seat behind the passenger since he's now forward facing and my 6'3" husband can have the seat all the way back. It's the opposite configuration in my husband's car. We had to make it to where it made sense for us. 
  • Anyone want to share their experiences traveling with a newborn? Is it a horrible idea or manageable? 

I have never been up to Oregon or Washington and want to make the most of DH having some time off in June. We would be able to spend 2 days with friends in Portland, 2 days with friends in Seattle, and 2 days with family outside of Seattle. Our son would be 3.5 months old by then and the two flights would be just under 3 hours each. (We'd rent a car for traveling between places; so far the baby loves the car.) 

Is that too silly? Have any of you STMs traveled with a newborn? The airlines give ticket options for "seat infant" or "lap infant" -- what do you recommend? 
    Help talk me into or out of this idea... part of me is so exhausted that I never want to leave home ever again :/ 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

*TW* - BFP & MC in March 2016.
    BFP in June 2016; EDD March 2017.
    Samuel born February 2017! 

• @EnglishTeacherMama i don't think it's silly as long as it's something you are comfortable with. as far as flying, i'd recommend southwest if they service that area. we decided we would save money and just lap DS when we flew with him (at 3.5 months i'd recommend that too since baby will be small still and breastfeeding can help with pressure change) anyways about Southwest, generally speaking if the flight is not completely booked they will let you have a seat for the car seat for free. you gate check the car seat so you already have it with you and therefore it's no issue if the flight is full or they aren't able to give you the free seat. not sure if any other airlines are as generous. 
  • I traveled for 2 weeks with DD when she was 8 weeks old. Was super easy! Lap was the way to go for us as others have said so you can hold, nurse, soothe on takeoff and landing. Not sure where your baby sleeps now, but I ordered a rock and play, diapers and wipes to my destination so I had less stuff to pack. Also second wearing the baby through airport. Just remember, you are your baby's constant, so at least for now he/she will be happy and chill as long as with you.
  • It's so stinking easy to travel with a 3 month old compared to any other age. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're going to be traveling to the NE by train at the end of May... we were going to fly but the thought of trying to get a NB and toddler through the airport at the height of severe weather season in the midwest (hello, delays and turbulence) scared the crud out of me. Hoping the train will be a fun adventure. 

I only caution checking your baby's car seat... sometimes they can be rough with them. But I definitely get not wanting to pay for a 3.5 month old to have a seat.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @kiyamurph @Gators&BoSox @Ivorytower2 @longliveregina @datalover13

Thank you all for the input!! I feel way more motivated to go for it now, but will definitely be researching which airline is our best option. 

*TW* - BFP & MC in March 2016.
    BFP in June 2016; EDD March 2017.
    Samuel born February 2017! 

• We are going on a little road trip (10hts) at 7weeks old - I can't wait.  FTM so no advice but looking forward to family time.  Went with an Air BNB home rental for once we get to the destination vs a hotel to have all amenities.

Question: How long do your 2-3week old babies like to spend in the swing?  My LO spends 1-2hrs in the swing, these are times when she is obviously bored by mom & enjoys looking at the mobile, listening to music, and at the mirror.  If I take her out she'll start crying, but she lets me know when she is done.  As she's not awake all that long yet I'd prefer other ways to occupy her but apparently I'm boring - is this normal?  1-2hrs OK?
  • I was just checking out kelly mom as a lot of people suggested since I'm a FTM planning to BF. I saw this about babies not pooping so often after 4-6 weeks and I had never heard that before. Has anyone experienced this? 7-10 days without pooping? Really?

• @Goodmorning12 don't worry about occupying baby quite yet! Just existing right now is enough stimulation and learning!  

@jenny0228 yep!! Usually not as common, but we had a few times she went close to a week without pooping 
  • @Goodmorning12 the only way we got any sleep with DS1 was with a swing. He spent 4 hours a night in the swing. I'm sure 1-2 hours is fine - I wouldn't worry about it. She's still getting mommy time and stimulation from you. 

@jenny0228 DS has gone 7 days without pooping and he's ebf. He gets really fussy though after that many days without pooping and we have to stimulate him sometimes to get the poop out. But even our pediatrician said breastfed babies can go a long time without a bowel movement. Because of the caloric content in breastmilk babies use all the calories efficiently and don't have the excess to make poop essentially. We're currently on day 4 without a bowel movement right now but with how much he's pushing I expect him to go in the next day or two. Every baby is different though so maybe you'll get an overachiever. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• jenny0228 said:
    I was just checking out kelly mom as a lot of people suggested since I'm a FTM planning to BF. I saw this about babies not pooping so often after 4-6 weeks and I had never heard that before. Has anyone experienced this? 7-10 days without pooping? Really?

Yep.
    At first my son pooped every time he ate. After a couple days he would go three days between poops. He wasn't constipated, and those poops were blowouts, but really babies process bm remarkably efficiently. It freaked out our formula feeding relatives though who kept insisting he needed prune juice even though he clearly wasn't uncomfortable at all. This stopped pretty quick though when he started solids at 6 months...he DID get constipated then and the "p" fruits became a part of daily life, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes sometimes it'd be a week between poops. But when they finally do, look out!!!

I'd keep a trash bag in the diaper bag.
  • @EnglishTeacherMama definitely start traveling with them at a young age! I have taken my DD on many flights and long car trips and she is now a pro traveler. Currently working on getting DS his passport so we can get back to traveling this summer :smile: I've flown Southwest, United, Air Canada and Delta with DD when she was under 2, to get the free lap option. They all very similar policies, and all allowed gate check of strollers and car seats for free. 

@jomarma with newborns it can be kinda boring. My DH didn't like the newborn stage the first time around because he couldn't "play" with her. Now we just relax and enjoy the cuddles with DS.

@jenny0228 I remember 3 days between poops was not uncommon for DD. 
  • How the heck do you guys put on your baby carrier and get LO in it when you're by yourself? I didn't use one with DS so I'm clueless. We have a Lille baby and I cannot find a graceful way to achieve success. I can't buckle the shoulder strap thing bc I can't reach it and sliding her in from underneath is a Herculean task 
  • @Gators&BoSox You're so right about not looking at Pinterest! I made this mistake with my first and man did I feel like the laziest mom in the world. As far as getting baby in the carrier by yourself...have you watched YouTube tutorials or anything? I have a Moby wrap this time around for when baby is tiny and the tutorials helped immensely for learning how to properly tie it. I also have a Boba 4G structured carrier and watched tutorials to learn how to use that one as well. 
  • @Gators&BoSox id also say YouTube might be helpful.  I never used a snap carrier with an infant--I also just wrap. Goodluck!!
  • @jenny0228 Both my babies have been in the 10+ poops a day club. EBF and it decreased to 2-3 poops a day as DD1 got older, I never experienced going a long period without a poop. I guess I'll see with this LO but so far she's proving to be a pooper. 
  • Thanks guys I looked at the video and it did help. Going to see if I can adjust the straps and make it work 
  • @Gators&BoSox there's also a really great Lillebaby group on FB if you have one... Should be there if you search Lillebaby Love
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @jenny0228 we went 12 days with my first born, but he wasn't a big pooper until we started solids anyway. I used to say he used all my milk to just grow his fingernails. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• So, I feel a little awkward asking this, but what can I expect at my 6 week postpartum visit? My doctor didn't really say anything about it besides that its a very important appointment to keep. Will I be subjected to a pelvic exam, or will she just do an external exam to check my stitches? I'm not normally someone who dreads going to the doctor, but for some reason I'm really anxious about this appointment.
  • @ShannonJ96 mine does an internal exam and external, also breasts to make sure no infections. The big thing is they discuss birth control for the future. They also ask about post partum depression and how you've been dealing with life since baby. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• Is it advisable to use the cool mist humidifier right from the start when baby comes home? Our heat is forced hot air, want to make sure it doesn't get too dry but not sure if the humidifier is a good idea during the first few weeks? 
  • jenny0228 said:
    Is it advisable to use the cool mist humidifier right from the start when baby comes home? Our heat is forced hot air, want to make sure it doesn't get too dry but not sure if the humidifier is a good idea during the first few weeks? 
    Why wouldn't it be? Our pediatrician suggested it with my son when he was a little congested at the 2 week appt. Just make sure to clean regularly to avoid mold.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina thanks! I wasn't sure if you're only supposed to use it when they are sick or if it's just a good idea to put on from the start. 
  • All of a sudden I am now having leaking urine problems and peeing when i sneeze. What do I do? And why did it happen a month after giving birth?
  • I'm a stm but can't remember with my first , anyone else's LO umbilical stump smell terrible?! It's awful , looks like it's hanging by a thread, doesn't look infected but smells so bad! If so any tips or tricks to help mask the smell? 
  • I'm a stm but can't remember with my first , anyone else's LO umbilical stump smell terrible?! It's awful , looks like it's hanging by a thread, doesn't look infected but smells so bad! If so any tips or tricks to help mask the smell? 
    Smelling bad seems weird. If call the pediatrician just to make sure it's not infected. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @alexandrae90 I'd call the pedi. It shouldn't smell, and there's a risk of infection before it heals completely.