June 2017 Moms

Baby Gear You Actually Used

1235»

Re: Baby Gear You Actually Used

• JessyKV said:
    @CapricaAndrea. Would this be a good option to keep the cats out? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWMP862/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk?th=1

I think there are pack and plays with tents over them as well. 
    I just saw a couple days ago that such a thing existed and I've been seriously considering it. It kind of feels like a waste when someone is already giving me a free bassinet. I haven't actually seen it yet though so I'm crossing my fingers that there's a tiny chance it's one of these. I may have to buy one like this in the end though, just because my cat likes to sleep by my neck and I don't want to take any chances with baby. Thanks for the link! 
  • @CapricaAndrea can you just lock them out of your bedroom? Or will the meow? I'm planning on locking ours downstairs, which I know they will hate, but better safe than sorry. Ours don't usually sleep on us, but I'm still worried. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @CapricaAndrea can you just lock them out of your bedroom? Or will the meow? I'm planning on locking ours downstairs, which I know they will hate, but better safe than sorry. Ours don't usually sleep on us, but I'm still worried. 
    We actually can't, at least not at first. That was originally the plan until our living situation changed. We're moving in with my inlaws at the end of the month and will essentially be sharing a large master bedroom with both baby and the cats as a studio apartment (minus the kitchen.) We will all have free reign to the rest of the house as well, but that will be our main area and the rest of the house is already shared by 2 other cats so we can't just lock them out at night.

I'm planning to train them right from the start that baby's places are off limits, but I know from experience that while they behave perfectly when we're around, they occasionally like to sneak places they know they shouldn't be when they think we're not looking. 
  • Ah darn. I definitely understand weird housing arrangements, we lived with the in laws while pregnant last time. Maybe the double sided sticky tape? I'm going to do that with our bassinet
  • What are you ladies using for a diaper bag? I really want a new one but I haven't found one that I both like and can afford! I really do not want to spend over $100.
  • @tmrussell I just started using the Skip Hop Duo which I got for about $50 bucks on Amazon. It's a more traditional looking diaper bag but I like that it's lightweight, can be worn cross body, and relatively small (but can store a lot). My hubby also likes that it's not super feminine so he can use it.
  • @tmrussell, we're getting a backpack diaper bag of some sort. I have a Skip Hop one on my registry. DH will be toting it most of the time, so it has to be functional and manly. :)
  • I started with the skip hip duo and didn't like it. It's tall and skinny and doesn't open wide, so it was hard to keep organized. It was also way too small for my purposes, but I use cloth diapers, and they take up more room. I also like to carry quite a bit of stuff, so someone more minimalistic and using disposables might be fine with it. Right now I am using an old Land's End one that I had for my brother when he was in diapers. I ready like it, but I wanted a backpack style one for when I am toting two little ones around. I just bought a big llbean backpack (turbo transit bag) though that isn't a diaper bag. I have a bunch of different changing pads I can throw in it, and I don't really use any other diaper bag specify features. All I care about is it being big, opening wide, having lots of different compartments to keep my stuff and the kids' stuff organized, and having backpack straps.
  • @tmrussell My sister sent me her jujube diaper bag which is awesome but it's very feminine looking (covered in flowers). We got this one for DH: https://www.amazon.com/Messenger-DIAPER-DADS-MOMS-share/dp/B00ZCBPHHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489889653&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=messenger+diaper+bag&psc=1

I actually like that we'll each have our own to keep in our own cars so that when DH gets home and I head off to work we don't have to transfer too many things.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Ahutch428Ahutch428 member
    edited March 2017
    I had the skip hop French stripe for DD and got this one this time.  I wanted something bigger so it would hold stuff for a toddler and baby. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RYU9FZA/ref=sxts1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489977955&sr=1 

ETA: link change 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Ahutch428 , ygpm! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Jujube BFF in First Lady.  Got it with my son and going to use it again!
  • I got this skip hop one for $24 during an Amazon sale https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4J243Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4s6ZybJN3FHZJ

I prefer bags that are a little stylish and I've been eyeing this one at Target. I  will probably get this one when I get my registry completion coupon.

https://www.target.com/p/oh-joy-tote-diaper-bag/-/A-50016487?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9003653&gclid=CL_ds4Hn5NICFQlYDQodUpQMnw&gclsrc=aw.ds

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• I registered for the skip hop backpack diaper bag. Having a shoulder strap gets painful for me quickly even with a purse! And I know my diaper bag will be over packed all the time! So I just picked a backpack that DH and I could both use. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Apprently the bassinet I registered for is unavailable in Canada, and a friend bought me one of the few alternatives that actually has a fully closing double-canopy (to keep cats out as I mentioned above). The only problem is that it's technically a travel bassinet and therefore is supposed to stay on the floor. 

Is is anyone aware of any safe option for being able to elevate a bassinet to be closer to the same height as my bed? I'm sure I'll manage with baby on the floor beside me, but it just seems like it will feel weird and probably make late night breastfeeding more awkward. I don't want to just put it up on a side table or something though because that seems like it's got the potential for the whole bassinet to just fall off.
  • @CapricaAndrea could it possibly fit inside a pack n play? I'm having a hard time picturing a bassinet that goes on the floor. Is it like a Moses basket? 
  • XathXath member
    Apprently the bassinet I registered for is unavailable in Canada, and a friend bought me one of the few alternatives that actually has a fully closing double-canopy (to keep cats out as I mentioned above). The only problem is that it's technically a travel bassinet and therefore is supposed to stay on the floor. 

Is is anyone aware of any safe option for being able to elevate a bassinet to be closer to the same height as my bed? I'm sure I'll manage with baby on the floor beside me, but it just seems like it will feel weird and probably make late night breastfeeding more awkward. I don't want to just put it up on a side table or something though because that seems like it's got the potential for the whole bassinet to just fall off.
    Can you show us the model?  We had one with drilled holes in the legs, and I was tempted to screw it into the night stand to keep it elevated.   
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oh it might fit in a pack n play, I hadn't considered that. 

I'm thinking because of the layout of the room I might be able to get one of those Lack tables from Ikea and shove it between the bed and wall so that there's wall on 2 sides, mattress on the 3rd side, and then attach something like an IKEA ribba shelf on the remaining side as a lip to stop the bassinet from being able to be pushed off. 

• This time around, I'm investing in a second breastpump (and accessories) so I can store one at work and one at home. 

One thing I didn't think we'd need a ton of was burp cloths. But I used a TON. Not only did my son spit up almost every time he nursed or took a bottle, but I actually packed some in my pump bag to clean up messes. I grabbed plain, cheap, burp cloths. I probably have 20-30 and I never felt like I had too many. 

I also used a lightweight rocker a lot (the heavy swing stayed put away mostly). 

Other than that, the only gear I'm buying are replacements for items I didn't like the first time around. 
    ~Katie~

• @CapricaAndrea I registered for that as well, but mostly to be able to take baby outside and as a portable napper. I imagine you can fit it in a pnp or mini crib 
  • I'm late to the diaper bag convo, but I have been looking at the convertible-to-backpack tote types.  I was thinking about this one, but it's kind of pricey.

https://www.seaportstitches.com/shop#!/Solid-Black-Canvas-and-Leather-Diaper-Bag/p/57755860/category=22449017

I like the Lily Jade bags too but ugh $$$$
  • I saw a cute Honest vegan leather (?) backpack diaper bag, but holy heaviness
  • Does anybody have a video monitor with decent picture quality that filters out white noise? Dd uses a noise machine, and the white noise coming through keeps me up at night. I just can't get used to it. We borrowed one once that I think was Summer Infant brand, and it filtered out the background noise so we only heard dd, and that was amazing. I'm not sure what it was exactly, though, and dh thinks he remembers the video quality being bad. Anybody have a recommendation? It would also have to be one where you can add a second camera.
  • @ellie111227 Our Samsung video monitor (SEW-3037W) has a VOX feature that would probably solve your problem (it only makes noise when it's above ambient, which I doubt a white noise machine would be) and can have extra cameras. That having been said, we've run through a handful of them due to charging issues and a camera which went haywire. They may have a new model which is more reliable....but who knows!
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • @c1tym0m22 Thanks! I'll check that out!
  • We have a VTECH video monitor with 2 cameras. It has different sensitivity settings.  On the very lowest it would stay on the whole time but if you adjust the sensitivity it doesn't pick up white noise and only kicks on sounds with louder noises depending what you set it on.  I like that I can adjust the sensitivity as they get older and I don't care to hear every little whine or wimpet.  
  • @Ahutch428 I saw those the other day! I think I'm going to go for it
  • Has anybody used medala brand lanolin before? It's cheap on Amazon right now, but I have always used lansinoh, and I dint want to buy a while bunch of it if it isn't as good. It's here, if anyone else is interested in it: https://www.amazon.com/Medela-Tender-Care-Lanolin-Ounce/dp/B0011EB814/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492455708&sr=8-3&keywords=Lanolin
  • Has anybody used medala brand lanolin before? It's cheap on Amazon right now, but I have always used lansinoh, and I dint want to buy a while bunch of it if it isn't as good. It's here, if anyone else is interested in it: https://www.amazon.com/Medela-Tender-Care-Lanolin-Ounce/dp/B0011EB814/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492455708&sr=8-3&keywords=Lanolin
    I prefer it to Lansinoh's! 
  • Medela nipple cream is a little thinner and easier to work.  Which I liked.  I've never had to use too much lanolin though . I like the thickness of lansinoh.