September 2016 Moms

March Randoms

Re: March Randoms

• Check out project life. There is an app too. Quick and easy scrapbooking​, if you are into that. The app is great because​you can easily add the pics from your phone. I'm all caught up with Ellie's baby book to date. It's awesome. I didn't newborn pics. With my first I did 1 yr pics and I'll probably do the same.
  • I've thought about the 6 month photos too. I feel like they are soo cute at this age. I feel like 500 is a bit steep but if you have the money I day go for it, or look around for something a bit cheaper 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • LO will be 6 months on the 24th. He has 2 bottom teeth and he's bitten me twice today while breastfeeding! Ow! Can't imagine with top teeth too!
  • That is one thing I'm not looking forward to. He doesn't have any teeth yet and not sure he'll have any anytime soon.
  • Ouch! I'm dreading teeth for that very reason. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yikes! Hopefully that's a short lived phase!!
  • Yay! We just started belly sleep too and had our best night in months!!
  • I've tried to put LO on his belly to see if he would sleep that way, but he wasn't having any of it. He was late to the tummy time game too and would fuss quite a bit. How did you guys get them to sleep on their bellies? 
  • I noticed that when LO woke up in the night or morning that she was on her tummy. She started looking annoyed in her swing for naps because she couldn't move, so when we transitioned to her crib for naps I put her on her belly and she slept well right away. I had been dreading the transition to crib but she really was the one who decided she was done with it so the switch went smoothly.

I think it will just be baby preference. I always put her on her belly for naps and my husband puts her in her back at night to sleep. She can roll well now and decides how she wants to sleep ultimately.
  • We've been doing belly naps for a while, but just this week did it at night too. I've been rocking her and then just basically rolling her onto her belly at night when I put her in the crib. We'll see if it works tonite too!
  • Xavier sleeps on his side. I'll lay him down on his back and then he'll rollover onto his side. He is a wigglyworm no matter what though lol.
  • We put Dylan on his back and then he rolls to his side and gradually to his stomach at some point during the night. We have to make sure to put him all the way to the right of the crib because he prefers rolling left and he takes the whole width of the crib for him to roll over 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone still struggling with losing the pregnancy weight? I gained about 45lbs which isn't too too terrible except for the fact that when i got pregnant I was already up 20lbs from what was my "normal happy" weight for several years. The initial 20 lb weight gain was a combination of newlywed love chub and my gym closing down. I was too lazy and taking my sweet time to find a new gym and when I got pregnant it was obviously not the time to try and drop weight.

Anyway, I lost 20lbs but have 45 to go. I've never had to try and lose such a large amount of weight before. In my pre baby life I knew exactly what to do when my weight creeped up, but now I just can't work out as frequently and intensely as before and am having trouble cutting the calories that I should. I do make it to the gym multiple times a week, but keep injuring myself because I totally overdo it so then I'm stuck doing very light workouts until I feel better.

I also breastfeed and am disappointed that I have not lost more weight. All I heard from my friends who nursed is that the weight just melted off. That has not been the case for me.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. I'm just tired of feeling so fat and now that summer is almost here I'm really starting to feel the pressure to lose weight.

Anyone have any dieting or workout tips they'd like to share?
  • Anyone still struggling with losing the pregnancy weight? I gained about 45lbs which isn't too too terrible except for the fact that when i got pregnant I was already up 20lbs from what was my "normal happy" weight for several years. The initial 20 lb weight gain was a combination of newlywed love chub and my gym closing down. I was too lazy and taking my sweet time to find a new gym and when I got pregnant it was obviously not the time to try and drop weight.

Anyway, I lost 20lbs but have 45 to go. I've never had to try and lose such a large amount of weight before. In my pre baby life I knew exactly what to do when my weight creeped up, but now I just can't work out as frequently and intensely as before and am having trouble cutting the calories that I should. I do make it to the gym multiple times a week, but keep injuring myself because I totally overdo it so then I'm stuck doing very light workouts until I feel better.

I also breastfeed and am disappointed that I have not lost more weight. All I heard from my friends who nursed is that the weight just melted off. That has not been the case for me.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. I'm just tired of feeling so fat and now that summer is almost here I'm really starting to feel the pressure to lose weight.

Anyone have any dieting or workout tips they'd like to share?
    Hi! I'm a September mom but have always lurked and never participated, except sporadically.  I'm in you situation and so freaking pissed, I actually can't loose weight while nursing it seems. I tried the whole 30 and lost my milk after 2 days. Tried being better about calories even though I am always starving, and my milk tanks. I did no sugar/no cheese/ no gluten for the whole month of February and I didn't loose a single pound. The prolactin in our system makes our appetite high, I also have a sluggish thyroid and a really horrible metabolism.

I'm going to get my hormones and thyroid evaluated soon by my naturopath, but after a lot of reading of other women's experiences, it looks like there are some women who can't loose weight while nursing and I am one of them. Freaking sucks.

I'm 20lbs or more above my pre-pregnancy weight. And I gained 10 right before getting pregnant, so I really have about 40lbs to loose to get back to my good weight. I'm so depressed about it!! I've tried hardcore HITT workouts, kettle bells, tabata, to no workouts, moderate workouts and just walking and yoga. Nothing works for me. 

Now I've digressed into eating crap like pizza and french fries because I figure what's the point of being good. I hope you're not like me and can loose while nursing, but if you are, know you are not alone! Sorry! 
  • Same here with the weight loss. Down 18 but have 18 more to go. I have been told that some women don't lose the baby weight until after they stop nursing which just blows. It is hard to workout because LO is super clingy lately and my SO works late so I can't wait for him to get home because I have to get to bed shortly after he gets home. It is incredibly frustrating because we are getting married in 7 months and would like to lose the baby weight before then.
  • @createillumination I've also had a slow metabolism my entire life and struggled with my weight, but eventually learned how to maintain (or stay close to) a weight that I felt comfortable being. Looks like I now have to figure out a new formula.

I hear you on becoming discouraged and resorting to eating crap food because dieting and exercise are just not paying off. I definitely do that too. I'm going to try and cut even more calories and see how badly it effects my milk supply.

@jenkar01 that sucks that you don't have any time  to yourself to workout. I know working out at home is tough to do especially when there is a baby around. It's really hard to get into the mindset. I've always struggled with at home workouts and do much better going to a gym or taking classes. 
  • I always try to workout the minute my DS goes down for his first nap. I love this channel on you tube for quick but intense workouts. She has a bunch of postnatal workouts if your just getting back to it. I really like how she shows the modifications and counts her reps. That's kind of hard to come by with the free videos. 

@BabyBoyH92016  I hope you can cut calories without it changing your milk! FX! 

https://www.youtube.com/user/BodyFitByAmy
  • With my son, he slept so horribly as an infant that I rarely had the energy to work out. I ended up starting to use YouTube videos either at naps or night. My husband gets home late too, so I'd do a YouTube video after I put the kids to bed. I love the fitness blender videos on there, also a big fan of some of the yoga ones. Lara Duttra I think her name is? Also Jillian micheals has strength yoga. Fitness blender is great for cardio and strength though. A good way to squeeze something in!
  • @BabyBoyH92016 oh I love at home workouts. I do the Beachbody On Demand. It is how I lost 63 lbs before the baby. Sometimes he will let me workout but lately he freaks out if he isn't being entertained constantly. I am hoping him learning to sit up on his own, which he is starting to master, will help. I know once I can workout I can lose the weight because I have maintained the current lost weight. End goal is to lose 40 more lbs but for now I just want to lose the baby weight.

@hejo2016 if things don't start getting better I may have to start working out when my fiance gets home. We've talked about doing it together because he doesn't have time to workout either during the day. I have tried to workout during his naps but the length of his naps vary so much. Sometimes he is down for an hour or two other times he is only down for 15 mins. It is very, very frustrating.
  • I can't believe I'm sick again, this is the second cold this month. At least LO isn't getting them too so I must be giving her some good antibodies or all that dog hair she inadvertently eats really is boosting her immune system! LOL

I know antihistamines are off limits due to effects on milk supply, and I just looked up that Sambucol ( herbal elderberry stuff ) and it keeps saying not to take while nursing too. Anyone have anything that they find works that is breastfeeding safe? I'm just taking Advil and in the past just used that lovely saline spray... ugh.

LO is still in a 3 week long sleep regression so I'm just feeling like being sick is the last thing I need right now. I need to overhaul her whole day to see what is going wrong but there is just no energy for that right now.

On the exercising thread, I too am a little disappointed that the breastfeeding didn't just melt all the fat off like everyone said it would! I tried working out during her naps, which lasted for a whole 2 days when it became too frustrating cause she would wake up. I'm really hoping that as the weather gets better I can just get out and walk with baby more. And I need to eat better I know, but sometimes quick bad meals are just easier to fit into the day. Especially when I'm sick....I really want McDonald's  today....

• I found the Netty pot and honey based throat drops helped me when I was sick. Also lots and lots of fluids. My mom, who is a NP, also suggested I stop taking my allergy meds but I couldn't take the itching. Just thoughts.
  • @jellybiehn I'm sorry you are under the weather. I had back to back colds at the end of December/early January and it sucked! I was also surprised that LO did not get them. Maybe the lack of sleep has compromised my immune system or the fact that I stay at home now so I'm not building up my immune system since I'm not exposed to as many germs anymore, but I rarely ever got sick before having a baby. I find it odd that I got sick several times this winter. Hope it was just bad luck and doesn't become a regular thing.
  • I'm sorry to all those feeling under the weather or have had colds since baby. I'm sure the lack of sleep doesn't help. Everyone in our house has been sick but it skipped me somehow. Feeling lucky. .
  • Lol... yup last night I slapped on some vapor rub, aquaphor-ed my red nose and cocooned in the covers. Really I don't know how my husband kept his hands off me ! I totally skipped my 1 am pump, but was so happy to see 6 am on the clock when LO woke up. After 3 weeks she finally slept through the night again. Only problem is that I changed too many things at once yesterday so I don't know what worked... oh well, we will keep it up again today and see if it happens again tomorrow I guess.

On a cute note, we have bee waiting for LO to start crawling as she is so close. She totally gets into crawling position and rocks back and forth... but only in her crib and more annoyingly on the change table. Put her on the floor and it looks like she is sky diving with all limbs flailing in the air. Apparently she will only try to crawl on very padded surfaces.

• @jellybiehn I wonder how long it takes them to crawl from when they start these pre-crawling type behaviors. My guy also gets into the position but then kinda face plants when he moves forward. He's also been doing a lot of planks and gets into like a downward dog position. I call him yoga baby! Anyway, I hope it's soon. Not sure about your LO but the trying to crawl but not really getting anywhere is making my LO crabby. 
  • BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited March 2017
    Ugh we decided to transition LO out of wearing his Merlin Magic sleepsuit. I feel like he's getting too old, and im afraid he's going to roll over in it soon. These last two nights out of the suit have been definitely worse. He's rolling all over the place and waking up a little earlier than normal. I put him in footed Jammies and a sleep sack, but his hands feel cold. I'm worried he is too cold now. If tonight goes poorly I'm tempted to put him back into Merlin. 
  • I'm with you all on the stubborn baby weight. I really thought breastfeeding would help because I don't feel like I am eating any differently now but maybe I am I should start keeping better track. @BabyBoyH92016 when we stopped swaddling Dylan I thought about getting one of the suits but decided against it because I know we would eneventually have to get rid of it. It deffinately took Dylan a few nights to get used to just sleeping in a sleeper. We had him in a sleep sack for a while but He didn't like that because it made it more difficult to roll over and he loves sleeping on his stomach now 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So you all know Luke has some kind of allergy to corn or grains or whatever. Since eliminating them from his diet his reflux and spit up has improved. So....At some point we lost his Aveno baby lotion. Its been gone for awhile and just started using "Shea Moistures, African Black Soap, Body Lotion" on him. We bought it because it is free from all chemicals such as sulfates, parabens, phthalates, paraffin, synthetic colors, frangrances, etc... Last night before bed I found his misplaced Aveno lotion and decided to use it on him without thinking. This morning he has spit up like 3 times in less than an hour, and not just little spit up but a ton! Turns out this lotion has oats in it!! Not to mention a bunch of other crap I can't even pronounce. Dang it!

On the plus side, Luke is trying to crawl! He gets into position and then if he tries to grab for something he falls flat. He will certainly be crawling before 7 months.
  • @jennlynn777 whoa that's crazy! Who would have thought the lotion!! Thank goodness for misplacing things, a blessing in disguise.
  • Anyone use "overnight" diapers. We use pampers swaddlers and have read a few comments saying overnight diapers are a waste of money. 
  • We use the swaddlers as well and we have used the pampers baby dry that have 12 hrs leak protection. He didn't sleep any differently with one over the other so we went back to the swaddlers. Plus I like the little indicator line lol.
  • @jennlynn777 That's crazy! I never would have thought that lotion would be a culprit but that totally makes sense.

@BabyBoyH92016 I haven't used overnight diapers but we use Pampers Baby Dry ones at night. I don't think there is a huge difference between those and regular swaddlers. We only use them because sometimes in swaddlers his onesie is damp in the morning and with baby dry ones that rarely happens.
  • @BabyBoyH92016 at some point we had to use overnights with my other kids once they started drinking more water along w breastmilk. I feel like it was closer to 9mo? Plus when they sleep on their belly, all the pee gathers up front and leaks. We haven't used any overnights for this baby yet though.
  • After 4 nights of not great sleep (crying at bedtime, rolling all over the place, and taking a long time to fall asleep on his own) the Merlin Magic SleepSuit transition appears to be over. We've had our second night in a row of good sleep with LO wearing a sleep sack. 

I've been putting this off for months, but Monday is THE DAY I am going to start training LO to sleep in his crib for naps and not the swing :#  Wish me luck, and more importantly the patience and energy to stick with it. 
  • @BabyBoyH92016 I too need to work on him taking naps in his crib and not the couch or someone's arms. Just hard to get everyone on board since my in laws babysit him. We shall see if they will be on board with it.
  • Molly naps so much better at daycare than at home. A I think she's more stimulated there since there's a lot going on and more kids to entertain her and B she has a good routine there. Last weekend I had a win with the second nap of the day - put her down in her crib. I had to wake her up as I was afraid she would mess up her night sleep! Going to try double crib nap today. Hoping it works!
  • jenkar01jenkar01 member
    edited April 2017
    So Xavier ate around 9:30 last night and finally fell asleep around 11ish. Usually wakes up around 4am to eat and then wakes up at 8:30ish for the day. Well last night he woke at about 1:50am because we are transitioning to no elevation during bedtime. He didn't act hungry just wanted held for a bit. I put him back down at 2:45 and he then slept until 7:45am. He didn't eat at all last night. He went from 9:30 to 8:30 without eating. My concern is that sometimes he doesn't eat a lot during the day. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it normal/okay? FTM and not sure what is "normal".
  • This weekend we were entertaining friends from out of town, so we were out and about all day doing things in our city. They also have a baby. When their baby babbled or fussed my LO would cry. When we were in restaurants and a child would scream, cry, or laugh loudly, my LO would cry. In the past he's cried at sirens or loud cars reving their engines, but I never realized how sensitive he is to loud noises. It was just a long exhausting 2 days with him crying a lot and being miserable. I felt terrible. It probably didn't help that he would not nap at all during the day. We go out with LO frequently but for a few hours at a time not from morning until evening. Warm weather is approaching and I definitely would like to be able to go out more frequently and for longer stretches of time. This really concerns me. 
  • @jenkar01 My LO started going 10 hrs overnight at 2 months old. That was a little early so I started waking her for a feed, but only for a few weeks then just let her decide when she was hungry. She was and still is an every 2 - 2.5 hr nurser so I wasn't concerned about her overall intake for the day. Oddly enough after introducing solids when she is getting more to eat during the day she has started waking earlier and earlier. Her wake up times are very sparatic right now, but since she used to STTN just fine, I nurse her as a last resort. As long as he is putting on weight I say embrace the sleep! 

@BabyBoyH92016 I used to get LO to sleep while we were out and about in her carrier just by placing a blanket over it. I guess the dark and stimulant reduction let her drift off for a little nap easier. Haven't tried it in a bit so maybe our LO 's may have outgrown the parakeet stage but it could be worth a try.