September 2017 Moms

GTKY: phobias

2»

Re: GTKY: phobias

• @amandarene112 and @kelseyrayay

I grew up with our yard backing up to a creek. We had black water moccasins on the regular. We would take a machete and decapitate them, like HIYA! I think that is what has kept me from being afraid of snakes. When we lived in South Florida, a baby garden snake got in our house, when I came home from work one day i found my cat with his paw on it. He literally beat the snake to death. It wasn't bloody, it was just dead. DH took it outside, because we didn't know if it was unconscious or dead. It was dead, it didn't move when we looked for it 2 days later.
  • I'm not afraid to kill them.lol I'll usually leave a Garden snake or a rat snake alone so they can keep the rats and bugs away. But if a poisonous snake comes in my yard it's the chopping block for them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I definitely thought the spoiler was going to be IT instead of a dead snake lol
  • I'm an anxious person too, let's see my fears:
    drowning
    choking
    being operated on and being conscious but not able to move
    having panic/anxiety attacks in public because what if someone calls an ambulance? That'll stress me more.

lol I'm sure I can go on but need to think of something happy now.
  • Lizlann said:
    Raccoons. They are fearless and I'm pretty sure they want to eat my face.
    My DH wants to adopt a raccoon...bc they have opposable thumbs and he wants to teach it to get things...like beer
  • labby18 said:
    Lizlann said:
    My DH wants to adopt a raccoon...bc they have opposable thumbs and he wants to teach it to get things...like beer
    They are really smart. They can get into any container if they try hard enough. I also had one right above my face in the rafters while sleeping in a 3-sided cabin and lived
  • labby18 said:
    Lizlann said:
    That sounds amazing!!! I say let him do it. 

• Mine are pretty irrational: heights, airplanes in general but especially walking on one mid flight, fish and crickets. 

To all the jelly fish fears I was stung by a jelly fish in grand Cayman last year and we just so happened to catch the exact moment on camera! I didn't realize I was stung until about 5 mins later when the stinging got really bad. Then I saw the jellyfish on my leg in my pictures when I was going through them. It hurt but it was far from the worst pain I've felt. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm an anxious person too, let's see my fears:
    drowning
    choking
    being operated on and being conscious but not able to move
    having panic/anxiety attacks in public because what if someone calls an ambulance? That'll stress me more.

lol I'm sure I can go on but need to think of something happy now.
    This. Terrifies. Me. I read a story once about a lady who had that happen to her and it gave me nightmares. Good thing I've never had major surgery.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a clinically diagnosed phobia of vomiting (emetophobia)!! Also drowning or choking or anything related to not being able to breathe. Needless to say, I had a rough first trimester!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• I don't even know if this is anything but a Facebook diagnosis, but I can't handle the pictures of holes in clusters.  I feel anxious and like I can't breathe. After I see one,  I have to force my mind to rationalize or "fix" the picture somehow.  It got really bad after my second delivery. I'm not sure if it ties into PPA for me or what. I'm scared it is going to get really bad again after this delivery.
  • Not really phobias but I get anxious at the dentist. I practically got waterboarded during a cavity filing a couple years ago (long story). After that incident I can't get any real work done unless I'm partially sedated. 

Also I am scared of sinkholes. 
  • I am scared of heights. I am okay if it am in an enclosed space and it is high. My fear is that I will fall or jump. It is really weird 
  • I am scared of heights. I am okay if it am in an enclosed space and it is high. My fear is that I will fall or jump. It is really weird 
    Falling is one of my fears too! I usually say heights too and offer a very similar explanation to the one you've given, because I'm fine being high up if I don't think I'll fall. 

My other one is rodents--both rats and mice. Thank goodness we have cats in the house in case of the latter.
  • @HollyGolightly09 I always squish all the fingers of my gardening and work gloves that live in the garage before I put them on (same with any shoes or slippers that aren't inside my house) for that exact reason. I thought I was being paranoid, but I'll definitely keep it up!

I'm afraid of heights - those videos of Russians and other crazy people climbing around on the ledges of buildings make the bottoms of my feet hurt really bad.

And small spaces - completely and embarrassingly lost my shit in an MRI unexpectedly once.

And cockroaches. Snakes, spiders, no problem  (unless they're venomous obviously), but a big ol roach... just no. I have nightmares about roaches and elevators (heights plus fear of getting trapped in a small space.. I take the steps unless there's no way around it).

Not me, but this 40+ year old man at my work is terrified of butterflies and moths. Screams like a little girl. I don't mean to laugh at someone's phobia, but it's pretty comical.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @HollyGolightly09 @hatrats my cousin left his shoes in the garage and when he went to put them on, there were like three black widows in there and he got bit. I ALWAYS check shoes that I haven't worn in a while for spiders. Also I am almost positive I found a brown recluse in our guest bathroom of the last place we lived. The spiders in that place were RIDICULOUS. Seriously, I found a giant tan grass spider in the living room, as big as my palm. I put a glass over it and then had a panic attack and couldn't sit down because I was terrified of touching another spider. Also there was a grass spider in our bed when we lived in that house and it bit DHs leg. Not harmful whatsoever but it freaked him out lol. 
    Spiders are my biggest nope.