June 2017 Moms
Options

FFFC 3/3

13»

Re: FFFC 3/3

• Options
    Holla to the ladies who only wash their hair 1x a week! I do too! I thought I was weird!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    EmeraldNC said:
    Holla to the ladies who only wash their hair 1x a week! I do too! I thought I was weird!
    If I could get myself to once a week, I totally would.  It took me quite a while to transition to every other day washing, but now that my hair is longer it works out much better (I think the oil is more evenly distributed).

Have any of you tried the shampoo that's personalized for your hair, by Function of Beauty?  I've considered it, hoping I can get down to two days between shampoo, but it's pricey and I'm not sure it's worth it?  Thoughts?

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    One time a week here!!! 

For Or ladies who think their hair is too oily, it's because it's used to getting washed. It will take time to change it. You can aslo try not putting conditioner on your roots. 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    One time a week here!!! 

For Or ladies who think their hair is too oily, it's because it's used to getting washed. It will take time to change it. You can aslo try not putting conditioner on your roots. 
    I've gotten it down to twice a week. I tried the no poo thing for 2 months and it did not work for me. I have no idea why I can't get down to one time. Any suggestions? I only condition once a week. Dd only needs hers done every other week, but she has curls. Mine is mostly straight with a little wave so it definitely gets oily after a bit. 
  • Options
    @krex I didn't even know that was a thing!!!  I do use dry shampoo some days if I need it... but not always.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    edited March 2017
    I used to wash my hair every day. It is naturally very curly, but I sometimes straighten it. I can now let it go 3 days curly or straight between washes. I just either wet my hands or use a spray bottle when curly to help fix the curls. If I don't mind throwing it on top of my head I can go longer, but for it to look decent down 3 days is max. The biggest difference I have noticed is straight though, it used to look greasy after one day and I have thin hair so it didn't work, but like the others have said- it adjusts. Maybe start with washing it Friday then not again until Monday if you are worried about how it looks at work. Then eventually lengthen your weekday washes too. 
    For anyone with curly hair, I recommend the curly girl method. I can't strictly follow it because I will never stop straightening my hair for occassions..but it really does work. I do a modified version of it now.  Just google it. 

ETA: Going along with the curly girl method, I only shampoo when going from straight to curly. Otherwise I just wash with conditioner! So I only actually shampoo every couple of weeks. 

• Options
    Wino0920 said:
    One time a week here!!! 

I've gotten it down to twice a week. I tried the no poo thing for 2 months and it did not work for me. I have no idea why I can't get down to one time. Any suggestions? I only condition once a week. Dd only needs hers done every other week, but she has curls. Mine is mostly straight with a little wave so it definitely gets oily after a bit. 
    Do you use dry shampoo? Twice a week is still pretty good though. Mind you, my last day , my hair is up because it's sketchy! Haha
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    One time a week here!!! 

This...completely sounds like something I am going to try on maternity leave because I give no shits what I look like when I'm not in the office, and my hair will have 16 weeks to get used to it.  My hair is naturally oily (thin and straight), and I can only wear it down the day it's washed right now...though I usually only wash once over the weekend and wear it up the other day.  I have noticed as I've gotten older that it seems less oily on the off days, so maybe I can cut down to 2-3 times a week.  What does everyone do if they've worked out in the morning that they're not due to wash/shampoo?  Dry shampoo on the roots to absorb the sweat? 

I cut out blow drying and styling my hair entirely after DD was born which saves me 15-20 minutes in the morning, but any additional time savings I will gladly take.

• Options
    @delujm0 Haha... I have NO advice on when you exercise because that is something I never do........ ughhhhh.  I LOATHE exercising!  But it is a good question!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @delujm0 I take it case by case. How much did I sweat or was it crazy humid and my hair needs excessive assistance (Thanks, Florida!). If it's super sweaty, It gets washed. 
  • Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    @delujm If my hair is straight and gets sweaty or wet, I just use dry shampoo then run the flat iron back through it. I really feel like my hair is healthier with less washing. Definitely try it on leave, and try other products. Certain hair types don't do well with products that have silicone in them etc. There could be something that works better for your hair as far as leaving it flat and oily. 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    Wino0920 said:
    One time a week here!!! 

Do you use dry shampoo? Twice a week is still pretty good though. Mind you, my last day , my hair is up because it's sketchy! Haha
    No, but I could, I have a bunch of it. But I shower every morning to wake up, so my hair is wet already. I chopped my hair really short last summer too, I'm growing it out but it's still not even at my shoulders. 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    Wino0920 said:
    One time a week here!!! 

No, but I could, I have a bunch of it. But I shower every morning to wake up, so my hair is wet already. I chopped my hair really short last summer too, I'm growing it out but it's still not even at my shoulders. 
    Yea give it a try on the last day, the day you are trying to stretch it out. 
  • Options
    @delujm0 Like @Mother0fDragons, I take it case by case. I can get away with dry shampoo usually though. 
  • Options
    For those of you who wash their hair once a week what do you do about hair odor? I wash mine every other day and could go longer, but my third day hair starts to smell bad. I've tried spraying it with perfume, but that only sort of works. 
  • Options
    @doodleoodle I've never felt like (or been told) my hair smells bad. What do you think makes yours smell or what does it smell like?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wash my hair 2xs week. If I feel like it smells a little, dry shampoo helps with that. I'm also a fan of ponytails, buns, and braids. 
    I'll also say that I got a Brazilian blow out for my birthday this last November. It was pricey, but worth every penny I paid. It just now started to fade, but not much. It takes me about 10 minutes to blow dry (I have a lot of thick hair). But then I'm done. 10 minutes as opposed to the 30+ minutes it used to take me makes it so worth it!
  • Options
    @doodleoodle the further along I go in my hair adjusting to this, the longer it takes to get smelly. I would definitely not go to a wedding or big event on day 7 though lol.

I also have done little to no working out while pregnant, so that helps. Back when I was a runner I had to wash my hair all the time and it dried out.
  • Options
    @EmeraldNC no one has ever told me it smells bad, but I can definitely smell it myself... This may sound super weird... Do you know the scent you get when you've been outside awhile? It smells like that. I thought hair odor was a common thing people had to care for similar to body odor. Guess not  :|
  • Options
    @doodleoodle the further along I go in my hair adjusting to this, the longer it takes to get smelly. I would definitely not go to a wedding or big event on day 7 though lol.

I also have done little to no working out while pregnant, so that helps. Back when I was a runner I had to wash my hair all the time and it dried out.
    Thanks! I feel less weird now lol How long did it take the smelly period to adjust? 
  • Options

Thanks! I feel less weird now lol How long did it take the smelly period to adjust? 
    It's going to take a couple months :-/ 
    Good things come to those who wait!!!
  • Options
    @Knottie4204911 Yes, I know what smell you are talking about!  My sister's hair smells like that after awhile now that you mention that!  I would think dry shampoo would take care of that!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Weird question. For people who go days without washing, does your scalp start to hurt? I get a sore spot on my head when I don't wash after 3 days. 
  • Options
    @neludelu It's actually helped me. I have psoriasis of the scalp so I would load on conditioner. Then I was told not to put conditioner on my roots (plus not washing a lot)  and it's been a miracle. My psoriasis has been MIA. 
  • Options
    @neludelu I don't get a sore spot from not washing... but I do if my hair is put up in a tie at all.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to jump on the rarely wash bandwagon.  I have thick, wavy/curly hair and I probably wash every 1-2 weeks, however I will "co-wash" in between.  Just doing conditioner helps the product buildup, makes my hair not smell, and helps me restyle it in the morning.

Have you ladies been experiencing the amazing pregnancy hair?  My hair is thicker and more curly than it is every been.  It looks amazing!!!!!  It will be interesting to see how much falls out after baby comes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @merrylea Yes!  I love my hair when I am pregnant!  However, afterwards is AWFUL!  My hair dresser is one of my best friends and she nearly had to talk me off a ledge last time.  I could not BELIEVE how much fell out and how different the texture of my hair was afterward.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @merrylea yes! My hair grows a ton while pregnant. I am going to see how long it can get before delivery. It's easier for me to take care if it the longer it gets. 
  • Options
    My hair is kind of hilarious right now. I definitely have the "thick, shiny, pregnancy hair" but I also have obvious post-partum regrowth around my temples. However that hair is getting long now and isn't growing in quite the same direction as the rest of it! 
    I wash 1x/week, and it doesn't get smelly, itchy or greasy in that time frame. It did a little when I was "training" it to go longer between washes, but now I just toss it into a bun or braid if I need to go longer than a week and it's just fine. I really could go longer than a week regularly, but I know DH loves that freshly shampooed smell. I did the "curly girl" no shampoo method for awhile, but I honestly like my hair better if I just use a little shampoo right on my scalp before conditioner. 
  • Options

@wino0920 interesting that not conditioning your scalp/roots has helped with your psoriasis.  I have it all over my body and also my scalp.  I have thin fine hair and must wash it everyday otherwise it looks like a grease pit, plus I have to wear it up everyday in a bun and use a bunch of products to achieve my daily bun.  Anyway I feel like washing it everyday helps get rid of some of the build up from psoriasis.  But I've recently started laser therapy for my scalp since I can't use any meds I normally would to manage what I've got going on.  The laser is supposed to make it go away completely so we'll see. 

I wish I had the glorious hair you ladies are having from being pregnant.  The only place I'm getting extreme hair growth is in my arm pits, legs and butt.  Perhaps that would have been better shared in the TMI thread. 

• Options
    @Wearmi1 I'm with you, I always loaded on the conditioner. I was told to do it this way and I can't believe how much better it is. I can't even explain why. I usually have to part my hair certain ways from all the flaking, and now nothing! Weird! 
  • Options
    My hair did not get the "long, thick and healthy" memo. This pregnancy it has been super dry, and breaks anytime I brush or straighten it. It's also thinking because of all the breakage and I have super annoying fly-always all around my face. 

I changed my shampoo, and my brush, stopped drying/straightening my hair so much, and deep conditioning once a week. Hopefully it will help. I am super jealous of all you ladies with amazing pregnancy hair! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think my hair looks any thicker or better since pregnancy, but I am definitely losing less. 
  • Options
    Stankonia2014Stankonia2014 member
    edited March 2017
    I'm probably the only one, but I have to wash daily, maybe I'll go one day without washing, but that's it.

Add me to the weird unicorn tufts of hair on my temples. 
  • Options
    I wash my hair about twice a week. It has definitely gotten used to it over time and less greasy. I may go down to every 4-5 days at some point but probably not more than that. I'm not good at ponytails/buns.
    My hair was growing like crazy at the beginning of pregnancy so I donated 9 inches. Still growing fast and not falling out as much but looks about the same as pre-pregnancy I would say. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bergberg member
    I've pushed it as far as 9 days without a wash.  But I mostly aim for once a week.  I started training it over a year ago when I was washing my very thick hair every other day and wasting a ton of money on shampoo and conditioner.  Dry shampoo can be a girls best friend though.  Pregnancy has kept me from really having to use it too much, but a little tip, put it on before bed some nights.  Your hair can soak it in overnight and then you don't have to worry about rubbing in gray streaks, if that is an issue for you.  I also second/third the conditioner not on the roots suggestion!  And as for working out, if the sweat is reasonable I use dry shampoo and turbie towel it up for my shower.  If the sweat is bad (like running in a summer heat wave bad or hot yoga bad) I will rinse it, re-blow dry it and then use dry shampoo if necessary.  Same if I've been in a pool or the ocean. 
  • Options
    @berg +1 on using dry shampoo at night on the later days of not washing!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm probably the only one, but I have to wash daily, maybe I'll go one day without washing, but that's it.

Add me to the weird unicorn tufts of hair on my temples. 
    Same here. My friend who is also my hairstylist harps on me about it all the time. I am trying to get better. I do use dry shampoo some days and ever since I was told to only wash my roots and then only condition the ends, my hair does seem a lot Better/less greasy. 
  • Options
    I wash every day too, but may try to cut back when I'm home on maternity leave. I'm greasy and fine, not the best mix!