Health & Exercise

7 weeks pregnant and confused about how to eat enough carbs following paleo diet!!!

Hello all paleo moms and moms to be out there.

I’ve been on the paleo diet for over a year now which helped me enormously to keep my auto-immune disorder under control. Now that I’m 7 weeks pregnant with my second baby, I cant stop wondering whether I’m getting enough nutrients for my growing baby. My main concern is around carbs. Based on my research, half of the calories consumed by a pregnant woman should come from carbs. There is NO way I can achieve that unless I cheat with pasta/bread/rice and all that garbage which I can not eat due to my health condition.

So my question is, how do you lovely ladies who are on paleo diet manage(d) to meet the eating requirements during pregnancy and stay paleo?

Many thanks!

Re: 7 weeks pregnant and confused about how to eat enough carbs following paleo diet!!!

• What about fruit and steel cut oats? I also love Ezekiel bread!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?...But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:26-27&33-34
  • We eat a lot of sweet potatoes. When I'm pregnant and nursing I don't follow a strict paleo diet.  I eat steel cut oats and lentils.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Hey I do something similar it's the SPECIFIC Carbohydrate Diet for my IBS and when pregnant I just add back in rice and sweet potatoes, you do not need half your calories to be from carbs, protein & fat are more important

• I do a lot of oatmeal and sweet potatoes. 
  • I have never seen anything that says you need half your calories from carbs! I am still following a keto diet any am 4 weeks.  I will soon transition to 100 grams of carbs instead of 30 per day. Keep in mind you get tons of good carbs from veggies and fruit. Processed carbs & sugar carbs are all empty nutrients. I believe that if you eat in a balanced way that suits you, it will be good for you baby.